Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 61  All

Author Topic: MXL: The Philosopher's Mafia (Serial Killer wins!)  (Read 129512 times)

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
MXL: The Philosopher's Mafia (Serial Killer wins!)
« on: February 08, 2014, 06:52:44 am »

Welcome to MXL: The Philosopher's Mafia!

Mods: faust,
EFHW

This game will be philosophy-themed, and for flavor reasons, the mafia will be referred to as Naturalists. Every player will receive a flavor name, with fake flavor claims provided for scum players. This game will use Pick Your Power X/Y/Z, a setup based on Pick Your Power X/Y that has been tweaked to add variety and make the game harder to solve. The exact setup is described in post #2.

Players:
1.   Teproc (René Descartes, Town-aligned 1-shot Watcher) killed N1
2.   XerxesPraelor (David Hume, Naturalist Goon) lynched D2
3.   yuma (Aristotle, Vanilla Townie) killed N1
4.   Robz888 (Plato, Town-aligned Night 3 Vigilante) endgamed
5.   Voltaire (Voltaire, Town-aligned Neighborizer) killed N3
6.   jotheonah (Søren Kierkegaard, Vanilla Townie) lynched D4
7.   sudgy (Confucius, 1-shot Alignment Cop) killed N4
8.   Axxle (Friedrich Nietzsche, 1-shot Bulletproof Serial Killer/Bus Driver)
9.   mail-mi (Zeno of Citium, 1-shot Lynchproof Townie) killed N3
10. theorel (Bertrand Russell, Vanilla Townie) killed N2
11.  A Drowned Kernel (Thomas Hobbes, Naturalist Jailkeeper) lynched D1
12.  AndrewisFTTW (Immanuel Kant, Vanilla Townie) lynched D3
13.  scott_pilgrim (Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel, Vanill Townie) endgamed
14.  mcmcsalot (Judith Butler, Vanilla Townie) lynched D5
15.  ashersky (Karl Marx, Naturalist Mafia Cop) killed N2

Spectators Tagged: Jimmmmm, chairs, shraeye, Twistedarcher
Day/Night starts:
D1 | N1
D2 | N2
D3 | N3
D4 | N4
D5

The Rules of Mafia will be used, with the following changes:

-A 'No Lynch' will occur if nobody has been lynched by deadline
-During the night, ALL alive players must send the mods some sort of a message. Failure to send such a message may result in replacement.
-Replacements will be dealt with at the mod's discretion

This game will have 10 day Day deadlines and 48 hours Night deadlines. The deadline for role bidding is 24 hours after receiving your draft number.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 04:44:23 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: MXL: The Philosopher's Mafia (Signups open!)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 06:52:56 am »

Pick Your Power X/Y/Z

Basic Setup:

3 Naturalist Goons
11 Townies
1 1-shot Bulletproof Serial Killer

Mechanics:

- At the beginning of the game, there is a draft to determine the order for the bidding on roles.
- Once this has happened, each player will send in the role they'd like to be. Only one role from each "slot" will be awarded. Alternatively, each player may send in "Slot 9".
- As such, in the event multiple players select roles from the same slot, the player highest in the draft order wins the role, whilst the others remain Vanilla.
- Roles are then distributed and Day 1 begins.
- Throughout the bidding phases, the thread is locked, however, the Naturalist QT is unlocked.

The Draft:

Once alignments have been dealt out, each player must send a (whole) number back to the mod, with the lowest unique number winning the draft. Second place is awarded to the second lowest unique number and so on, until all unique numbers have been exhausted. Next placed on the list is the lowest doubled numbers, followed by the next lowest doubled numbers, and so on. Continue this same process for triples and quadruples. In cases of multiple players selecting the same number, the higher placed between these players is chosen randomly. Each player receives their position in the draft order via PM (resp. in their faction QT).

Bidding for roles:

Once the draft order has been determined, each player PM's the moderator of the game with the role they'd like to be (or "Slot 9"). Roles are unisex, in the sense, that they can be selected by Mafia, Town or the SK. Exemptions are the "convert SK" roles (may only be taken by the SK), and the Ninja and Strongman modifiers (may only be taken by non-town). So, it's possible to have a Mafia 1-Shot Vig or a Town 1-Shot Vig, and so on. Only one role from each slot will be awarded. Here are the list of roles players select from:

Slot 1:

Night 3 Vigilante OR Vengeful OR Strongman

Slot 2:

1-shot Paranoid Gun Owner OR 1-shot Lynchproof OR 1-shot Commuter

Slot 3:

Mafia Cop OR Hider OR Convert Serial Killer to Townie

Slot 4:

1-shot Watcher OR Role Cop OR 1-shot Redirector

Slot 5:

Doctor OR Roleblocker OR 1-shot Alignment Cop

Slot 6:

Ninja OR Fruit Vendor OR 1-shot Bus Driver

Slot 7:

Neighborizer OR 1-shot Bulletproof OR Convert Serial Killer to Lover

Slot 8:

Tracker OR Jailkeeper OR Convert Serial Killer to Survivor

Slot 9:

Whoever wins this slot will be given three random roles from other slots that were not taken by anyone else. They have to decide which of these roles they want within the first 24 hours of D1.
This Slot will only include roles that the player choosing the slot is able to have (i.e. no "Strongman" for Townies).
For balance reasons, the mafia and the SK will be told any roles in Slot 9 that come from slots they have taken.

Clarifications:
- Vengeful only triggers on night kill, and is optional.
- 1-shot PGO can be activated in one single night and will kill all players targeting the PGO that night.
- The 1-shot Alignment Cop gives results of the form "Mafia/Town/Third Party".
- The Fruit Vendor targets someone each night. That player will be informed that they received a fruit. Nothing else happens.
- Mafia that uses an active power may not perform the factional kill. The Serial Killer may perform the factional kill and their night action.
- Neighborizer can open a new 2-person QT with another player each night they are alive. Neighborhood QTs will remain open Day and Night.
- If the SK chooses "convert to Lover", he chooses one player additionally. The SK will be informed of that player's alignment and for the rest of the game, the SK will share that player's win condition instead of their own. If the player dies, the Lover dies as well.
- The Role Cop can only investigate the role that the targeted player got from the draft, it will not reveal the 1-shot Bulletproof SK.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 06:43:50 am by faust »

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 07:19:32 am »

Philosophy-themed ? /in

Now let's read the setup...
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 07:22:26 am »

/tag

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 07:39:39 am »

Oh it's Pick Your Power, cool. Was the standard setup really solvable ? Anyway, this looks super interesting (although it sucks that you can only blame yourself if you end up VT).
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 09:12:09 am »

/in

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 12:27:06 pm »

/in

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 02:07:11 pm »

/tag
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 02:26:30 pm »

/in
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 05:36:49 pm »

Both the flavor and the setup really look awesome, but I'm trying not to play mafia for a bit.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 10:43:43 pm »

Bidding for roles:

Once the draft order has been determined, each player PM's the moderator of the game with the role they'd like to be (or "Slot 9").

Will players be notified of what position they are in the draft order? Will it be posted in thread? Or will it be sent out in PMs (i.e. you are 3rd out of 14...)

also I think the only critique I have for the setup (if you are willing to hear some critiques) is the Mafia Cop/SK Cop. I can't imagine a situation where someone would choose SK Cop over Mafia Cop. Even if you are mafia, 1. there is a better slot to hope for than that and 2. even if you do decide to take that slot the Mafia Cop is far superior for WIFOM purposes I think.

(Sorry if you didn't want the setup discussed pre-game, I can edit this post if you didn't)...

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 05:22:13 am »

Bidding for roles:

Once the draft order has been determined, each player PM's the moderator of the game with the role they'd like to be (or "Slot 9").

Will players be notified of what position they are in the draft order? Will it be posted in thread? Or will it be sent out in PMs (i.e. you are 3rd out of 14...)

also I think the only critique I have for the setup (if you are willing to hear some critiques) is the Mafia Cop/SK Cop. I can't imagine a situation where someone would choose SK Cop over Mafia Cop. Even if you are mafia, 1. there is a better slot to hope for than that and 2. even if you do decide to take that slot the Mafia Cop is far superior for WIFOM purposes I think.

(Sorry if you didn't want the setup discussed pre-game, I can edit this post if you didn't)...

The draft order will be sent out in PMs, I will add that to the description.

You may be right about the SK cop. I wanted to have a role there that provides some utility for mafia while not being so strong that this slot is the obvious choice for all factions. Maybe Hider is good alternative? It is roughly equal on power level to Cop, I think, and provides some benefit for scum (finding the SK, not getting tageted).

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 02:40:26 pm »

Bidding for roles:

The draft order will be sent out in PMs, I will add that to the description.

You may be right about the SK cop. I wanted to have a role there that provides some utility for mafia while not being so strong that this slot is the obvious choice for all factions. Maybe Hider is good alternative? It is roughly equal on power level to Cop, I think, and provides some benefit for scum (finding the SK, not getting targeted).

Well I hate the hider role (my least favorite role I have played with honestly...) but it is quite comparable to cop and I think would add something to the game if the hider would die behind the mafia, SK and vig (if there is one) or the PGO (if there is one)

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 06:15:00 pm »

A few questions...

Slot 1: is Vengeful compulsive or optional?  Is it on-lynch only or on-death?  This is a super powerful slot with very little pro-town power.

Slot 3: agree with yuma

Slot 4: does anyone ever take BP?  I don't think so.

Slot 5: I assume alignment cop returns town/mafia/sk?  1 shot is weak here.

Slot 7: How do you choose the SK's lover?

I like a lot of additions here, especially survivor and the redirection stuff.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 07:01:35 pm »

/tag

I don't really like PYP (can possibly be unfairly skewed towards Town/Scum) but I may /in since I like the additions made.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 02:13:01 am »

A few questions...

Slot 1: is Vengeful compulsive or optional?  Is it on-lynch only or on-death?  This is a super powerful slot with very little pro-town power.

Slot 3: agree with yuma

Slot 4: does anyone ever take BP?  I don't think so.

Slot 5: I assume alignment cop returns town/mafia/sk?  1 shot is weak here.

Slot 7: How do you choose the SK's lover?

I like a lot of additions here, especially survivor and the redirection stuff.

Some of these questions are adressed in the modifications. Vengeful only triggers on night kill, and is optional. It is correct that there's little pro-town utility in this slot, it is created as a slot that town might want to take to prevent scum from getting these roles, just as some other slot have little anti-town utility.

Alignment Cop return Mafia/Town/Third Party. It is only one-shot so that there won't be too many full Cops in the setup, and I think can compete with the other roles in this slot.

The SK chooses their lover themselves.

You are probably right about 1-shot BP being too weak for the slot. I think I'm flipping it with the Role Cop from slot 7.

Thank for the input! I will update the OP to account for the changes made.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 05:53:24 am »

I like the updates.  The only thing that sticks out to me is 1-shot alignment cop in slot 5.  Just don't think it's ever worth taking.

You know what I'd like?  Goon/Vanilla Cop.  It returns Vanilla/Not Vanilla regardless of alignment.  So you get some fun play for Fruit Vendor, for example.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 11:13:36 am »

/in

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 08:58:16 pm »

oh fine. /in
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2014, 03:36:40 am »

I like the updates.  The only thing that sticks out to me is 1-shot alignment cop in slot 5.  Just don't think it's ever worth taking.

You know what I'd like?  Goon/Vanilla Cop.  It returns Vanilla/Not Vanilla regardless of alignment.  So you get some fun play for Fruit Vendor, for example.

But isn't your proposal just a weaker version of Role Cop?

I still like like the 1-shot alignment cop. But if everyone thinks it's underpowered, I might change it.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2014, 06:02:31 am »

But isn't your proposal just a weaker version of Role Cop?

I still like like the 1-shot alignment cop. But if everyone thinks it's underpowered, I might change it.

Sort of.  It adds a cool element to the game, I think.  And I want fruit vendor to be relevant when I take it.

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2014, 12:20:44 pm »

/tag

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2014, 12:27:53 pm »

/out

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2014, 01:14:19 pm »

/out for now

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2014, 02:52:21 pm »

/out

You do realize you could draw Voltaire as a flavor name in this game ?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 61  All

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 20 queries.