Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61]  All

Author Topic: MXL: The Philosopher's Mafia (Serial Killer wins!)  (Read 130264 times)

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
Re: MXL: The Philosopher's Mafia (Serial Killer wins!)
« Reply #1500 on: April 30, 2014, 05:06:03 am »

Suggestion for future games : always give a QT to Axxle, regardless of role and alignment.

Pretty funny that the two people Axxle was worried about in his first SK reads post got killed night 1.

Reading the scum QT : ash, do you still feel the setup in unfair for scum ?
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: April 30, 2014, 06:26:08 am »

Even though they have been posted already, here are the collected QTs of this game:

Mod QT
Speccy QT
Serial Killer QT
Naturalist QT
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: April 30, 2014, 06:35:22 am »

My thoughts on the game, and on my first modding experience:

- It was really fun, and I'd like to do it again. Watching the game develop and knowing everything is sure a whole new experience. Thanks to EFHW for helping out in times of need; it's unfortunate that I was mostly asleep when the main action went down.

- ashersky's gambit here was very interesting as well. I think it might have worked if town found the SK quicker. I was a little sad that he died so soon.

- Axxle played a magnificent game, and obviously should be awarded MVP. I recommend reading his QT to everyone. It is both insightful and funny.

- the setup worked fine, I think. It was really unfortunate that the mafia lost their strongest role on D1, but in general I don't think this setup is unfair towards scum.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: April 30, 2014, 03:12:46 pm »

Thanks for modding faust! I know it was a bit difficult being on a different time zone but you did great.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: April 30, 2014, 04:46:54 pm »

Yes, A+ to faust for a wonderful first-time mod.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: April 30, 2014, 05:24:05 pm »

Reading the scum QT : ash, do you still feel the setup in unfair for scum ?

After the fix, it was no less fair than the original.  I think mafia need the safe claims as part of their knowledge.

The addition of 11 possible roles over the original makes it harder for scum, for sure.  I think it may lean toward town due to that.

It is probably a breakable setup.  What would have happened if we had mass claimed D1?  Does Axxle claim bus driver?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: April 30, 2014, 06:20:19 pm »

I didn't follow along, but winning as the SK is quite impressive. Congrats Axxle!

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: April 30, 2014, 07:13:57 pm »

I didn't follow along, but winning as the SK is quite impressive. Congrats Axxle!
Thanks!

Quote from: Chairs in spec qt
Axxle could have chosen that slot based on his number guess, and then taken bus-driver as more interesting than ninja as SK. I buy it for sure.

I picked bus driver for verifiability, mass claiming in this setup is punishing for liars. If I couldn't verify I was a bus-driver or fruit vendor it'd look really suspicious. And bus driver is more powerful than fruit vendor, obv.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: April 30, 2014, 07:48:27 pm »

Thanks!

Quote from: Chairs in spec qt
Axxle could have chosen that slot based on his number guess, and then taken bus-driver as more interesting than ninja as SK. I buy it for sure.

I picked bus driver for verifiability, mass claiming in this setup is punishing for liars. If I couldn't verify I was a bus-driver or fruit vendor it'd look really suspicious. And bus driver is more powerful than fruit vendor, obv.

Still, I pegged you in mylo :sun:

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: May 01, 2014, 11:20:31 am »

I think a mass-claim actually would have led to the same outcome. I think mass claim hurts town by letting mafia and sk know who to target, but it hurts mafia as well when certain night kills/actions don't make sense. Sk gets the huge benefit of knowing what to do to improve thei position and look towny.

Also I think it is run again everyone should break the draft by picking whatever number their signup number is.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: May 01, 2014, 11:47:30 am »

I think a mass-claim actually would have led to the same outcome. I think mass claim hurts town by letting mafia and sk know who to target, but it hurts mafia as well when certain night kills/actions don't make sense. Sk gets the huge benefit of knowing what to do to improve thei position and look towny.

Also I think it is run again everyone should break the draft by picking whatever number their signup number is.

I'm not interested in breaking setups, so I won't do it regardless of alignment.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: May 01, 2014, 11:54:01 am »

I mean, that's something that theoretically would work but wouldn't you be just as likely to have town 1) not participate as you would 2) everyone but scum participate?

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: May 01, 2014, 12:09:54 pm »

I mean, that's something that theoretically would work but wouldn't you be just as likely to have town 1) not participate as you would 2) everyone but scum participate?

Scum has to participate and eithe get the draft slot that correlates with their signup slot, or the don't cooperate and get the last 3 draft slots.

Oh never mind, that let's scum know who to shoot, it would have been good to do this time when it wasn't mentioned but wouldn't necessarily work in the future.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: May 01, 2014, 12:44:18 pm »

Scum has to participate and eithe get the draft slot that correlates with their signup slot, or the don't cooperate and get the last 3 draft slots.

Oh never mind, that let's scum know who to shoot, it would have been good to do this time when it wasn't mentioned but wouldn't necessarily work in the future.

people with high numbered signup slots would be at a disadvantage.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: November 28, 2016, 06:22:23 pm »

Having gotten back into mafia recently, I started looking back over old games. This was the first one I re-read start to finish. What a game! Would highly recommend newer players reading it (try not to spoil yourselves if you can).
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #1515 on: November 29, 2016, 03:07:57 am »

Having gotten back into mafia recently, I started looking back over old games. This was the first one I re-read start to finish. What a game! Would highly recommend newer players reading it (try not to spoil yourselves if you can).

Wow, Axxle! I was sure it was you all the way down (cause you've recommended it for reading). Plot-twist :)
I do like the setup also, I'd play one.
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61]  All

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 19 queries.