Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: Leaderboard change  (Read 52793 times)

ckb

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Re: Leaderboard change
« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2011, 02:46:19 pm »
+1

- The best argument for what's weird is that undoubtedly good players who go inactive for a while can have an unusually low level. But if it's strictly the level, how important is that? Having a leaderboard based on level as opposed to estimated skill (another way in which the initial leaderboard might be a bit misleading, although this adjustment would not have produced a huge shakeup) seems to me to lead to some weird distortions in that way. Playing somebody who has fallen down the leaderboard because their random deviation is now 15 instead of 7 does not necessarily mean that your TrueSkill will be unduly punished.

The problem, as far as I can tell, is that it's not just the "level" that is affected by going inactive, it's the skill estimate as well. In other words, as someone posted above, you start out at a skill of 25 as of thirty days ago and then only what you have done since then counts toward your skill.

So, if a formerly-top player happened to only play one game in the past 30 days and lost, his skill would likely be somewhere around 23. This tells you nothing about his true overall level of play. Someone who plays against this "level 0" player will be unfairly punished for losing to this "lower-skill" player.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2011, 04:02:53 pm »
+1

I suppose it's easy for me to gloss over that "loss", as I've never used automatch +/- rank.  I'd rather get a fast match against a level 7 than wait for a level 37.  However, I will also note that under the current system, I can't honestly tell a difference in the level of play between the 7 and the 37.
If I can't tell a player's actual skill level from his skill estimate or rank, then what's the point?  It seems all this change caters to is the people who care about rising up the ranks, but not actually caring if their skill level is improving.  I'm still having fun playing, but I no longer have that competitive feeling that the leaderboard used to provide.  That disappoints me.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2011, 04:08:12 pm »

it's late in the game, but maybe theory or rrenaud could throw a poll onto this thread?  seeing some rough numbers might better inform and/or influence doug. 

and for those that are fine with the new style, they can have their voice heard without having having to face any comment backlash.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #103 on: December 01, 2011, 04:11:05 pm »

I suppose it's easy for me to gloss over that "loss", as I've never used automatch +/- rank.  I'd rather get a fast match against a level 7 than wait for a level 37.  However, I will also note that under the current system, I can't honestly tell a difference in the level of play between the 7 and the 37.
If I can't tell a player's actual skill level from his skill estimate or rank, then what's the point?  It seems all this change caters to is the people who care about rising up the ranks, but not actually caring if their skill level is improving.  I'm still having fun playing, but I no longer have that competitive feeling that the leaderboard used to provide.  That disappoints me.
You raise a good point: the leaderboard is no longer capable of tracking a player's skill over time, so the old idea of "improving my game" and "making it to level 40" is now meaningless.

it's late in the game, but maybe theory or rrenaud could throw a poll onto this thread?  seeing some rough numbers might better inform and/or influence doug. 

and for those that are fine with the new style, they can have their voice heard without having having to face any comment backlash.
Done.  See separate topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 23 queries.