Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Why f.ds is such an awesome online community  (Read 21844 times)

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
Why f.ds is such an awesome online community
« on: February 06, 2014, 05:57:29 pm »
+29

Man. I just have to say that of all the online communities I'm a part of (which is a fair number).
This one is just incredible. Everyone is warm, intelligent--and quite understanding as well.
It's not every day you get such a collection of interesting people who are of such high quality.

I feel like a community of this caliber can be a rare thing these days. So I guess just a general shoutout to everyone: the mods, members, etc. For being so great.

Part of the reason why I'm posting this, is just seeing the difference that sets this community apart. I just joined another online community (I won't say which one) and got somewhat of a cold, almost nasty welcome from one of the mods. Actually ticked me off kind of  :(

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
Re: Why f.ds is such an awesome online community
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 07:01:13 pm »
+1

I echo these sentiments, easily the best community of the internet that I know of. There's little to none of the trolling(except for ozle, but he's a nice troll)/insults that there are pretty much everywhere on the internet. And even when people do get mad at each other it gets resolved relatively quickly. Anyway, +1.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 07:12:08 pm »
+1

Ha. Ozle, the Nice Troll.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 07:21:06 pm »
+2

Group hug everyone!
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 07:25:18 pm »
+3

Group hug everyone!

I'd be careful about that. We do get a bit gropey.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 08:13:08 pm »
+3

I'm a big fan of this community too.

Hell, I stopped reading the Dominion threads. I'm just here for the play-by-forum games.
A man has no signature

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 10:05:30 pm »
+4

Man. I just have to say that of all the online communities I'm a part of (which is a fair number).
This one is just incredible. Everyone is warm, intelligent--and quite understanding as well.
It's not every day you get such a collection of interesting people who are of such high quality.

I feel like a community of this caliber can be a rare thing these days. So I guess just a general shoutout to everyone: the mods, members, etc. For being so great.

Part of the reason why I'm posting this, is just seeing the difference that sets this community apart. I just joined another online community (I won't say which one) and got somewhat of a cold, almost nasty welcome from one of the mods. Actually ticked me off kind of  :(

You KNOW that is a bunch of bullshit and you are just whoring for upvotes. Go ask for free hugs somewhere else, we talk about Dominion here. And Mafia. And Memes. And take things out of context. But no warm-fuzzy-caring shit!

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 10:23:31 pm »

You KNOW that is a bunch of bullshit and you are just whoring for upvotes. Go ask for free hugs somewhere else, we talk about Dominion here. And Mafia. And Memes. And take things out of context. But no warm-fuzzy-caring shit!

You forgot the obligatory racial slur.
A man has no signature

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 10:30:03 pm »
+1

And just when I thought you guys were fulfilling my sentiments so well. . .

Oh well, no community is perfect ;)

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 10:37:34 pm »

I remember you! Where have you been?

Ah, it feels great to be part of this community.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 10:51:33 pm »

Here, here!
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 11:08:39 pm »
+3

Yeah, if this is the best "mean" post we can come up with...pretty good sign.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 11:10:47 pm »
+3

Also, the correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling are all dead giveaways.
A man has no signature

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 11:33:02 pm »
+1

As is the fact that he upvoted my original post  ;D

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 11:44:05 pm »

Fine, you get an upvote from me too. But next time, you'll have to do better than blatant flattery to get upvotes from me.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 12:23:11 am »
+2

I remember you! Where have you been?

If this is directed to me, my answer is I have been playing Mafia.
And after that, school.

Fine, you get an upvote from me too. But next time, you'll have to do better than blatant flattery to get upvotes from me.

Truthfully, I did not make this post with the intent of getting upvotes.

It is somewhat of a personal standard of mine then when I have a negative interaction (such as with this other community's mod, which btw, I have left as I discovered it has nothing to offer me),  I try to spread positivity to someone else--in this case many people.

Seriously though, I was on this other website's group chat. And I was slightly concerned because there were so many, many rules--many of which appeared superfluous.

Apparently, across this whole forum, double-posting is considered spamming and is likely to get you banned. (to give you an idea of what it's like).

I had posted an introduction there and it had sat for like 3 days without a single response.
So anyway, I'm on there (btw, this website is related to a video game), and I ask whether there are any cool threads that I should check out. The response (from one of the mods).
"The rules thread". No welcome, no suggestion of anything actually related to what the website is actually about. There's more, but I don't think it's worth mentioning.

Anyway, like I said, I'm part of a number of different communities, but this one still stands out as the best. Perhaps the game of Dominion just brings all the awesome people out of the woodwork. No votewhoring, just expressing my honest appreciation--and encouraging those who I believe deserve it.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 12:24:56 am by Ichimaru Gin »

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2014, 12:42:16 am »
+5

If you let us know what site it is, your f.ds buddies can back you up. Then we can take the site over and fill it with positivity, Mafia and jokes about explaining jokes!

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2014, 12:50:29 am »

If you let us know what site it is, your f.ds buddies can back you up. Then we can take the site over and fill it with positivity, Mafia and jokes about explaining jokes!

+1

I would, but I don't think their worth it. And they'd probably resent all of that positivity.

Seriously though, it's sad to see a forum supposedly devoted to a game--but is just ruined by a set of strange rules that are the true focus.

A takeover would be quite interesting though. . .we certainly have more brainpower over here. I can envision the great army of f.ds already.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 01:00:29 am »
+1

+1

I would, but I don't think their worth it. And they'd probably resent all of that positivity.

Seriously though, it's sad to see a forum supposedly devoted to a game--but is just ruined by a set of strange rules that are the true focus.

A takeover would be quite interesting though. . .we certainly have more brainpower over here. I can envision the great army of f.ds already.

We would just all get banned...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 05:59:57 am »
+1

The main upside for me about this site is that it's such a specific little corner on the internet.

You have to be crazy about some silly boardgame to even get here and that narrows the population down by quite a lot. So whatever remains are people who are similar enough to myself to find common ground and different enough to be interesting.

For any of my interests, there is at least someone else who can say sensible things about it, be it Science-Fiction, other board games, world economics or just random chit chat.

Though I don't have the feeling that I have any true friends here (though I do know some people better than others), it's a great little reflection pool from time to time.

I don't think the mods need to meddle a lot on this forum, only moving topics from time to time, which says a lot.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2014, 10:38:06 am »

Blatant flattery will always get upvotes from me!
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 10:40:20 am »
+4

Blatant flattery will always get upvotes from me!

You know what, Adam? You're the best!

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 10:48:52 am »
+8

When theory and I started DS, we aimed for intelligence and quality of discourse in contrast to the dominion forum on BGG, where absolutely crazy and terrible ideas were far too common.  We were totally willing to sacrifice warmth to combat the the crazy, eg, no tolerance for idiocy.  Looks like we got the quality of discourse and still managed to keep the warmth (well, except for scaring away DX).

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2014, 11:13:26 am »

When theory and I started DS, we aimed for intelligence and quality of discourse in contrast to the dominion forum on BGG, where absolutely crazy and terrible ideas were far too common.  We were totally willing to sacrifice warmth to combat the the crazy, eg, no tolerance for idiocy.  Looks like we got the quality of discourse and still managed to keep the warmth (well, except for scaring away DX).

But scarring DX wasn't everyone's fault. I don't even know how he was scarred. Like, it was so mild.

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2014, 11:43:08 am »
+4

Well, I certainly hope we didn't scar him.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.