Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Ok. I'm lost.  (Read 4735 times)

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
Ok. I'm lost.
« on: February 06, 2014, 12:46:29 pm »
+1

This one is embarrassing, I had no idea what I was doing. My opponent seemed a little lost too until she picked up the treasure maps. I guess sometimes you gotta suck it up and go big money. Maybe the title of the thread should be "Real men play big money". What do you guys think? Any chance for shanty town/stables/squire or something like that?

Code: [Select]
Squire, Vagrant, Apothecary, Lookout, Shanty Town, Monument, Salvager, Scavenger, Treasure Map, Stables

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140206/log.516ddc20e4b082c74d7cbc04.1391708558319.txt
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 12:50:30 pm by AndrewisFTTW »
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Re: Ok. I'm lost.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 12:52:46 pm »

I would try an apothecary-Stable-BM thing. Add a Shanty Town and a Monument or two and I feel this can be pretty solid.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 12:54:55 pm »
+1

Treasure Map??? No, no, no, no, no.

You've got weak trashing and no non-terminal draw. Looks like this should either be:

1) A very basic Apothecary deck. This deck probably wants Salvager to crunch up Estates and maybe pick up an extra Copper or Vagrants. Vagrants should work well here.

2) Lots of Stables and a terminal or two. That terminal is probably Salvager to start with it, and then maybe Monument later.

The Apothecary plan is probably better? Not positive, though.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 12:56:59 pm »

Treasure Map??? No, no, no, no, no.

You've got weak trashing and no non-terminal draw. Looks like this should either be:

1) A very basic Apothecary deck. This deck probably wants Salvager to crunch up Estates and maybe pick up an extra Copper or Vagrants. Vagrants should work well here.

2) Lots of Stables and a terminal or two. That terminal is probably Salvager to start with it, and then maybe Monument later.

The Apothecary plan is probably better? Not positive, though.

I like KingZog's idea of fusing them.  You get all the copper in your hand to discard with stables.  It might be a bit slow though since you need potions and several $5 cards.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 01:03:03 pm »

I would have gone for lots of Stables + 1 Monument here, maybe adding a Shanty Town and a second Monument.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 01:05:23 pm »

This is the wrong sort of deck for shanty town (unless you somehow find yourself with a squires too). Shanty town isn't an easy card for beginners to pick but you generally want something extra to make sure you're not stuck with the shanty town and the terminal in hand. With shanty town out of the picture you are looking at either monument or salvager as terminal action with drawing supplied by stables and/or apothecaries. Both the drawing cards are helped if you salvage out the estates. You get more from your drawing cards if you play a monument often. I'd go for salvager+stables+treasure but I wouldn't argue if anyone picked something slightly different.

The lookout doesn't come into it if you use a salvager. It looks as if it might be useful in a monument+stables deck but for every game you trash the estates nicely you'll get another game where you trash coppers and lose development. Treasure maps can win these sort of games but it's pure luck if they do. Vagrants are useful but only for 2 coins.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 01:06:43 pm »

This is the wrong sort of deck for shanty town (unless you somehow find yourself with a squires too). Shanty town isn't an easy card for beginners to pick but you generally want something extra to make sure you're not stuck with the shanty town and the terminal in hand. With shanty town out of the picture you are looking at either monument or salvager as terminal action with drawing supplied by stables and/or apothecaries. Both the drawing cards are helped if you salvage out the estates. You get more from your drawing cards if you play a monument often. I'd go for salvager+stables+treasure but I wouldn't argue if anyone picked something slightly different.

The lookout doesn't come into it if you use a salvager. It looks as if it might be useful in a monument+stables deck but for every game you trash the estates nicely you'll get another game where you trash coppers and lose development. Treasure maps can win these sort of games but it's pure luck if they do. Vagrants are useful but only for 2 coins.

Yeah, I agree. I'm pretty sure Shanty Town is a huge trap here, because the obligatory Salvager or Monument is really going to conflict with Shanty Towns.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

eliegel34

• Golem
  • Respect: +146
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 01:08:05 pm »

I think Monument is the key piece to the Engine here.  It really allows you to score a ton of points with out having to buy too much green.  I would open up Potion/Lookout. The Lookout is mainly to trash Estates, and you want Apothecary ASAP.  Apothecary gets your cycling up very quickly, especially since you can thin out your estates. You will want to pick up a Squire T3/T4 (which ever doesn't have your potion).

Into the midgame, you don't need to use Lookout real heavily, you just want to get rid of Estates, and maybe a few Coppers, but make sure to keep some to use with Stables.  Between Apothecary and Stables it should be pretty easy to draw your deck. Then you goal is to start picking up Monuments/Squires/Stables.  You can probably throw in a Shanty Town, since you can control which cards you draw Apothecary, and can stack your deck to make Shanty Town activate most the time. 

I would hold off greening much longer than usual, and instead build up your deck.  I think treasure maps might be decent here as a source of income once you can draw your whole deck, but I think It would have to be based on your deck state at the time.  If you are low on treasure, that may be a good way to get some back into your deck. 

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 01:20:40 pm »
+1

Didn't look at log.  I agree with what other's have said.  Of greatest importance is Apothecary.  It's a strong card and worth it as the only Potion.  Consider that you can play multiple Stables always discard Copper.  A single Apothecary at the end of your draw deck will draw each and every discarded Copper.

Opening is correct at Lookout/Potion.  At some point get a Salvager and trash the Lookout.  Copper is good in this deck, there is no need to trash it all.  The greatest benefit for Lookout is the ability to get rid of an Estate or two early and to prevent getting Potion on turn 5.

You would only go Treasure Map once you are drawing your deck each turn, have enough Stables/Apothecary and can obtain $8 and 2 Buys.  Assuming you have some sort of Village you aim to both activate the maps and play the Gold in your next turn.  At that point in the game you will be double Provincing each turn Assuming you play 4 Gold for $12 and have 4 Copper left for $4.  If your draw is adequate you should continue to draw your deck and get double Province until the game is over.  You do not want Silver in this deck.  I would avoid Monument.  Vagrant will be a good card once you have some green as you can use Apothecary to guarantee drawing green making them a $2-cost Lab. 
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 01:25:01 pm »
+1

Potion/Lookout is the best open and you don't want Salvager here because it's terminal. It's pretty easy to build an engine that draws the deck with Apothecary and Stables and play at least 4 Monuments/turn using Shanty Town for +Actions and Squire for Actions and buys. Early on, before having added a ton of Monuments, Shanty helps nicely with the drawing, too.

You can then choose to double Province or stand pat to ingrain the lesson how terribly awful BM is on this (and most other) board(s) ;)

shark_bait

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 01:35:14 pm »
+2

I put my money where my mouth is.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140206/log.50ea2963e4b0429cfe091cec.1391711630321.txt

7 Provinces in deck with 1 in trash in 13 turns using Stables/Apothecary to activate Treasure Maps into double Province turns.

Edit:  Thanks for posting this Kingdom.  It's a fun one for sure.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 01:37:57 pm by shark_bait »
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 04:28:38 pm »

Thanks for all the feedback! I've been playing this board over and over again and I'm still a little confused as to how exactly to play this. Apothecary, stables, lookout into salvager, a couple squires, treasure maps, maybe one shanty town is how I've been approaching it, with mixed results. Here's the latest one I played, although I know I had a couple misplays.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140206/log.516ddc20e4b082c74d7cbc04.1391721982556.txt

Let me know what you think.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 04:46:31 pm by AndrewisFTTW »
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 04:34:15 pm »

I'm curious -- people have suggested an Apothecary strategy opening Lookout/Potion.  Is the Lookout that helpful?  You don't really want to trash Coppers (do you?) so the Lookout would have far fewer desirable targets.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 04:39:05 pm »

It's not so much the trashing you want.  It's more the security against an unfortunate Turn 5 draw, the extra cycling, and the set up of the following hand.  Assuming you get a Salvager it then provides some nice fodder once your Estates are trashed.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 04:40:20 pm »

shark_bait's strategy is probably the best; you can maybe fit in a Monument in there, but it's not going to be very helpful. Keep in mind that shark_bait got much better luck in his solitaire game than you did in your posted log. You didn't hit $5 for a Stables until turn 7, and you also had to trash 2 of your Copper.

Lookout may also trash Estates that Apothecary leaves on top of the deck, for whatever it's worth.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 05:04:43 pm »
+1

I put my money where my mouth is.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140206/log.50ea2963e4b0429cfe091cec.1391711630321.txt

7 Provinces in deck with 1 in trash in 13 turns using Stables/Apothecary to activate Treasure Maps into double Province turns.

Edit:  Thanks for posting this Kingdom.  It's a fun one for sure.

OK, now I want to see some logs using SCSN's strategy.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 22 queries.