Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8 [All]

Author Topic: Goko Is Games That No One Can Play  (Read 55237 times)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
Goko Is Games That No One Can Play
« on: February 06, 2014, 12:40:00 am »
+5

Earlier today, it was lagging horribly.

Then it was doing that thing where the game starts, but doesn't actually start.

Now it won't even let me create a game.

I mean, seriously.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Re: Goko Is Games That No One Can Play
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 12:57:18 am »

I feel your pain.

hdu88

• Navigator
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
    • Youtube account
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 01:47:59 am »

I thought the game not actually starting was an issue on my end, but it looks like other people are having this problem too. I need to shake off the rust before GokoDom dammit!  >:(
"He looks like he doesn't know what he's doing, and then he wins."

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 06:26:29 am »

was trying to play someone last night (UK time), and had this issue 4 times before we managed to actually play a game :(
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 07:23:33 am »
+5

Fly on the wall...
"People are saying so many mean things about us I think it might be time to change our name again"
"But won't people just keep saying mean things about us using our new name? I mean changing our name from "FunSocket" to "Goko" didn't really fix anything"
"Not if we don't tell anybody what our new new name is..."

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 08:59:46 am »
+6

Goko had this posted on their facebook page:

Hello! We are currently in the process of migrating production environments and transitioning to new hardware, which is the cause of the current problems you might be experiencing. It's a big big effort and we're investing a lot of resources in the hopes of a better experience in the near future, but we know it's causing problems in the short term. A big "Thank You!" to the players who have provided constructive comments and information to help us troubleshoot.

so that might be why no one could play last night. But I think the more pressing question is why in the world did they 1. schedule this w/o telling anyone 2. schedule it for a peak playing time and 3. not just shut down the site so people wouldn't try over and over again to get something to happen that wouldn't work.

Goko's problem isn't just its appalling lack of technical abilities but also its complete lack of public relations and consumer satisfaction capabilities.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 09:20:41 am »

Hello! We are currently in the process of migrating production environments and transitioning to new hardware, which is the cause of the current problems you might be experiencing. It's a big big effort and we're investing a lot of resources in the hopes of a better experience in the near future, but we know it's causing problems in the short term. A big "Thank You!" to the players who have provided constructive comments and information to help us troubleshoot.

so that might be why no one could play last night. But I think the more pressing question is why in the world did they 1. schedule this w/o telling anyone 2. schedule it for a peak playing time and 3. not just shut down the site so people wouldn't try over and over again to get something to happen that wouldn't work.

Goko's problem isn't just its appalling lack of technical abilities but also its complete lack of public relations and consumer satisfaction capabilities.

They cannot be transitioning to new hardware while the site is running.  That is, I believe, a literal impossibility.  You can transition piecemeal, but I have difficulty believing that Goko is distributed across a dozen machines.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 09:31:41 am »
+9

They cannot be transitioning to new hardware while the site is running.  That is, I believe, a literal impossibility.  You can transition piecemeal, but I have difficulty believing that Goko is distributed across a dozen machines.

Really?  I imagine it being distributed across a dozen of these:

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 11:44:52 am »

that is beyond my knowledge. i am just passing along the message and showing my disgust and frustration...

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 02:38:36 pm »
+1

Really?  I imagine it being distributed across a dozen of these:

Still a better operating system than Windows.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 02:40:45 pm »

Even if they just run it across 2 servers, they can shut down one; start it back up on new hardware, then shut down the other and do the same. There will be a period where it's just running on one server instead of 2, thus it will be slower, but it doesn't have to go down completely.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 05:33:15 pm »

Even if they just run it across 2 servers, they can shut down one; start it back up on new hardware, then shut down the other and do the same. There will be a period where it's just running on one server instead of 2, thus it will be slower, but it doesn't have to go down completely.

Sure, I understand that, I just have difficulty believing Goko is sophisticated enough to have it running on multiple machines.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 05:33:53 pm »
+3

I just said "have difficulty believing X" in two separate posts in the same thread.  I'm starting to sound like myself.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 05:46:12 pm »

To be fair, there's a lot that's difficult to believe when it comes to Goko.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 05:51:15 pm »

To be fair, there's a lot that's difficult to believe when it comes to Goko.

Maybe Goko should hire the White Queen!

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 02:29:07 am »
+5

I just said "have difficulty believing X" in two separate posts in the same thread.  I'm starting to sound like myself.
You may actually be yourself.

You should probably check.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2014, 07:04:07 am »
+4

You may actually be yourself.

You should probably check.
No, he's WanderingWinder. Just like everyone else here.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2014, 09:18:03 am »
+4

Hello, this is John Welch, the CEO of Making Fun, the folks working with Goko to manage and improve Dominion Online. I wanted to give you a bit more detail on what is going on behind the scenes...

We are nearly complete on a major project to completely re-build the Dominion Online production environment. Until we push the new system live we must divide our attention between diagnosing and fixing urgent problems in the live environment and building the new environment. Believe me, we want to be done with both tasks so we can get back to fixing gameplay bugs, making improvements to the technology, adding new content and features, and working on the mobile versions.

Keeping the live site working isn't as simple as just rebooting the servers every night at 3am. There is almost always some new mystery that we need to solve to make a fix. Yesterday when some people couldn't start games we eventually figured out that one of the disks had filled up. If you were assigned to that server, you couldn't start a game. Meanwhile, other people were happily playing. Once he knew what happened, our lead engineer cleared disk space and changed a setting to reduce logging. Previously, it was Twitter changing their tech out from under us; people who authenticated via Twitter all of a sudden couldn't log in at all. It wasn't obvious that the problem was isolated to Twitter until we really dug in. The good news is when things like this happen we learn from the problem and we can try to ensure that particular thing won't recur in the new deployment.

I hesitate to give a specific live date as we expected to be live already. The system is complicated. There are 29 different physical servers running in the new deployment, each with multiple software services. Each time we think there is only one more thing we find yet another thing. For example, yesterday we realized we needed a new SSL certificate for secure client-server and server-server logins. Now we have that in place and we are trying to get the servers talking again.

We are hopeful to have configurations mostly completed tomorrow, so we can enter a formal system test phase over the weekend and next week. That testing will inform us as to how close we are to going live. What we don't want to do is push a version that has more problems than the current system.

I know you have been frustrated with things for a while now. The folks who have been around for a long time as well as the newer people like me all feel your pain. We are doing our best to get the new system live ASAP so we can get on with the fun stuff. Thanks for hanging in with us. Better times are coming soon!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 09:54:05 am »

Yesterday when some people couldn't start games we eventually figured out that one of the disks had filled up. If you were assigned to that server, you couldn't start a game.

"Eventually".  Wouldn't you, uh, kind of know right away when a server disk was full?  I mean I'm not a computer guy or an IT guy or anything, but it seems like this is the kind of thing you want to know about at a basic level.

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 10:58:48 am »
+3

I mean I'm not a computer guy or an IT guy or anything, but it seems like this is the kind of thing you want to know about at a basic level.

It is extraordinary how much different stuff can go wrong, and how difficult it is to monitor for all of it. You set up checks for what you can think of / have seen in the past, and when something different happens, all you really know is that it's not any of the things you've set up checks for.

If I learned one thing in a computer science education, it's to never assume any job or system anywhere ever is as simple as it seems on the surface.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2014, 11:04:45 am »

I mean I'm not a computer guy or an IT guy or anything, but it seems like this is the kind of thing you want to know about at a basic level.

It is extraordinary how much different stuff can go wrong, and how difficult it is to monitor for all of it. You set up checks for what you can think of / have seen in the past, and when something different happens, all you really know is that it's not any of the things you've set up checks for.

If I learned one thing in a computer science education, it's to never assume any job or system anywhere ever is as simple as it seems on the surface.

Yes well I understand that, and I'm sure if I was going to set up all this stuff there would be a large learning process and a lot of mistakes made.. on the other hand, I'm not a professional.  This just seems like something an experienced IT person would do.

pinkymadigan

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 11:57:45 am »
+2

My guess is that disk monitoring was assumed to be set up, but was not. Easy to miss when changing tech teams wholesale, which it sounds like they did a number of times. It is a pretty basic thing you should have, though. I know every place I've worked in IT I've got an email when a disk on an important machine was at various percentages remaining space (25% remaining, 10% remaining, 5% remaining, etc).

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 12:26:14 pm »
+4

This big plus I see is that the new crew seems much more open and willing to talk, and they aren't too shy about disclosing problems and mistakes. 

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2014, 12:31:18 pm »

Also, bugs can come from the stupidest places.  I had a program one time involving hitboxes, and I was assigning the values of the hitbox's x and y to two other variables (x and y).  I said this:

Code: [Select]
hitbox.x = x
hitbox.x = y

Some bug happened where the object was going through walls and stopping randomly, and it made no sense whatsoever.  It took me ages, but I finally realized I changed the hitbox's x twice instead of it's x and y.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2014, 12:33:25 pm »

This big plus I see is that the new crew seems much more open and willing to talk, and they aren't too shy about disclosing problems and mistakes.

That actually is very good. And they're probably having trouble dealing with bad coding, which takes a lot of time and work. So I'm not too concerned and I do think they'll be able to fix at least a few things.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2014, 12:38:31 pm »
+2

NOTHING is worse than bad legacy code.

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2014, 12:42:53 pm »
+2

not even $2P T5 on a familiar board?
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2014, 01:50:11 pm »
+3

At least in that situation, you get to use the "I'll use a coin token" joke!
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2014, 06:27:47 pm »
+1

Edge case: You had $3P on T4, than reshuffled and draw $2P on T5.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2015, 11:24:23 am »
+3

Bump. A year later, it's still relevant. Literally no one can play games on Goko right now.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2015, 11:57:42 am »
+4

But a year is so little time...

And it's not like people have paid for this or anything, right?
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2015, 11:59:36 am »
+1

But a year is so little time...

And it's not like people have paid for this or anything, right?
I bought the cards yesterday...

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2015, 12:08:34 pm »
+2

Man, that sucks.  But hey, give them that year:

It was maybe a year between when I first said "can you get rid of the 3-province starting advantages, this sucks so hard" and when they actually fixed it.
Posting begets posting.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2015, 01:24:36 pm »
+2

Bump. A year later, it's still relevant. Literally no one can play games on Goko right now.

Be fair.  This thread was started in February
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2015, 01:32:11 pm »
+4

Be fair.  This thread was started in February
Yes, because Goko's problems started last February and will definitely be over with by this February...

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2015, 01:39:53 pm »
+3

This is funny because 'e is pointing out that 11 months is strictly not equal to 12 months. 

Unrelated note: I wish there was a key for "not equal to".  The combination of /= is strangely unsatisfying.
Posting begets posting.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2015, 01:55:00 pm »
+2

This is funny because 'e is pointing out that 11 months is strictly not equal to 12 months.

Actually, he is pointing out that 11 months is strictly smaller than 12 months.

Co-co-corrected!
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2015, 02:00:58 pm »
+6

Co-co-corrected!

But SwitchedFromStarcraft's reply was especially humorous because of how he referred to me as 'e.  Which can be read as "he" or as my username "e".  Very clever.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2015, 02:04:32 pm »
+1

Co-co-corrected!

But SwitchedFromStarcraft's reply was especially humorous because of how he referred to me as 'e.  Which can be read as "he" or as my username "e".  Very clever.

Unless of course you're a she.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3191
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2015, 02:06:22 pm »

Unrelated note: I wish there was a key for "not equal to".  The combination of /= is strangely unsatisfying.

Just copy the symbol: ≠

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2015, 02:43:22 pm »

Co-co-corrected!

And yet your post got more respect than mine.  Very very clever.
Posting begets posting.

Joseph2302

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2015, 05:49:26 pm »

JUST STARTED A GAME ON GOKO!! looks to be working again (at last)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2015, 05:53:17 pm »
+4

Co-co-corrected!

And yet your post got more respect than mine.  Very very clever.

But less than mint.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2015, 08:47:57 pm »

Unless of course you're a she.

SwitchedFromStarcraft could be typing in an esoteric accent.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2015, 02:15:04 am »

Yes well I understand that, and I'm sure if I was going to set up all this stuff there would be a large learning process and a lot of mistakes made.. on the other hand, I'm not a professional.  This just seems like something an experienced IT person would do.
I'm an experienced IT person and one of the first things we do on new production servers, is set up basic monitoring for stuff like disk space and CPU usage.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2015, 02:23:26 am »
+2

Just copy the symbol: ≠
There is a programming language (APL) which needs a special keyboard:

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2015, 09:35:02 am »

Why is that not just the normal keyboard?  That would be useful.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2015, 09:36:58 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APL_(codepage)

I'm just sad that I'm too used to regular QWERTY that it's basically too late to learn anything else.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2015, 10:05:51 am »

But then how would we type exclamation points!?!?!?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2015, 10:10:52 am »
+1

But then how would we type exclamation points!?!?!?

The usual shift-numerics are printed under the numeric row, so I'm assuming there is another shift-like way to access those.

Also, exclamation points are hardly necessary!

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2015, 05:44:40 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APL_(codepage)

I'm just sad that I'm too used to regular QWERTY that it's basically too late to learn anything else.

Davio - your link goes to a page that is semi-broken, in that it says no article is available, but asks if you mean "X", where X is the obvious target at which the link is aimed.  The problem is with the closing parenthesis, which is in plaintext (black), not in blue, and therefore not part of the link. You may want to edit your post.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 05:45:45 pm by SwitchedFromStarcraft »
Posting begets posting.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2015, 09:23:03 am »

Nah, it's a treasure hunt!

But I suspect the automatic URL-parser is struggling with this format.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2015, 04:19:21 pm »

I'm unable to log in today (with Google). Anyone else having this problem?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2015, 07:06:50 pm »

It was fine for me earlier today.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2015, 07:11:36 pm »

It was fine for me earlier today.
Yeah, it's back to fine for me now, too. Dunno what the deal was.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2015, 04:55:33 am »

Can't login now..

Something went wrong. Connection status is:103

Pneumatiker

• Swindler
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2015, 06:59:56 am »

You're not alone. I've got the same problem since 3 h. Logging in with a guest account didn't cause any problems.

Amac

• Baron
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2015, 10:08:53 am »

Hey, it doesn't work.

Once more.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2015, 03:10:11 pm »

"Unable to establish a connection to Dominion Online." :(

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2015, 04:57:56 pm »
+1

I've had some success by trying over and over again...

Joseph2302

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2015, 05:18:52 pm »

Yh, it's been terrible tonight. Every time I finished a game, it logged me out, and then failed to reload about 5 times. SO frustrating. :( I even had to play a Dominion League game as a guest, coz I couldn't login.

sc0UT

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: sc0UT
  • Respect: +106
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2015, 05:45:17 pm »

Seems like goko hates Firefox again...
I just successfully tried IE once (standard login). But IE, nah  :-\

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2015, 05:56:44 pm »

Seems like goko hates Firefox again...
I just successfully tried IE once (standard login). But IE, nah  :-\

It isn't working in any browser
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2015, 06:08:09 pm »
+1

Hey man, it can't always be the best online site to play Dominion....
Posting begets posting.

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2015, 07:18:06 pm »

Hey man, it can't always be the best online site to play Dominion....
I think you mean to say, "They can't all be the best online implementation of Dominion ever"

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2015, 08:36:53 pm »

No, I said precisely what I meant to say. ;)

Even edited it after posting and everything.  I would explain the joke, but someone would think I am a respect slut.
Posting begets posting.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2015, 08:58:55 pm »

Goko is so laggy, it just lost money I was willing to spend. I grinded to get all the VP Points for the Promo cards not supported by Goko Coins. When I spent all the VP it said I had, it said I spent nothing. Testing to make sure this wasn't a glitch, it turned out I bought EVERY SINGLE PROMO. You can only get 364 possible points for VP points, and I spent over 500+. I feel bad, because I cheated Goko out of about 5 bucks, and I didn't even mean to do it. Oh well. Their shoddy system.

EDIT:

Ah. It didn't keep all the cards I had obtained illegally. That's good. Wallet time. But still. Goko fails. All the lag and the slowness. Unless Goko improves and such, I'll just hop onto the app when the Dominion app comes out.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 09:05:21 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2015, 09:06:49 pm »

There is going to be a dominion app!?!?!?  (I took a two year break, so I don't know if you are kidding.)

Wait, if goko is involved, never mind.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 09:08:16 pm by SwitchedFromStarcraft »
Posting begets posting.

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +613
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2015, 10:43:09 pm »
+2

What makes me angrier than the ongoing problems is the fact that, in response to my bug report on December 30, I received an email on January 1 telling me it was all fixed.
Ten days later and the problems are ongoing, but I never got a follow-up email to say, "oh, sorry, the problem is bigger than we realised, we're still working on it".
So every time I try to log in and I can't, I think about the fact that I have an email telling me it's all fixed and I get even angrier.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2015, 10:53:12 pm »
+5

pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2015, 08:02:00 am »

What makes me angrier than the ongoing problems is the fact that, in response to my bug report on December 30, I received an email on January 1 telling me it was all fixed.
Ten days later and the problems are ongoing, but I never got a follow-up email to say, "oh, sorry, the problem is bigger than we realised, we're still working on it".
So every time I try to log in and I can't, I think about the fact that I have an email telling me it's all fixed and I get even angrier.

For your own sake, you should try not to be angry about this. I understand it's easy to get annoyed, and my advice here is not the easiest to just flip a switch and do, but being angry about something like this is going to mean you're angry a lot, and that's not good for your health. Not that I am unsympathetic...

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2015, 08:46:04 am »

For your own sake, you should try not to be angry about this. I understand it's easy to get annoyed, and my advice here is not the easiest to just flip a switch and do, but being angry about something like this is going to mean you're angry a lot, and that's not good for your health. Not that I am unsympathetic...

It's sweet of you to think of my health.
I'm not really angry, like seething with rage, just a bit frustrated.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2015, 09:50:50 am »

Right now I can play on an old Linux machine or in IE on a Win8.1 machine, but not in Firefox or Chrome (I get the "cannot connect to Dominion Online" message).  Has anyone had this problem and sorted it out?  It might have something to do with the firewall, as I have the same problem with Prismata, and they claim that the firewall is almost always to blame.

I have played both Dominion and Prismata on the new machine, so I'm not sure what's changed.

LuciferousPeridot

• Bishop
  • Respect: +201
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2015, 10:21:07 am »
+1

Right now I can play on an old Linux machine or in IE on a Win8.1 machine, but not in Firefox or Chrome (I get the "cannot connect to Dominion Online" message).  Has anyone had this problem and sorted it out?  It might have something to do with the firewall, as I have the same problem with Prismata, and they claim that the firewall is almost always to blame.

I have played both Dominion and Prismata on the new machine, so I'm not sure what's changed.

I have tried every browser (including Lynx) and none of them work. Grrr, it seems to be down every time I managed to escape family for 30 mins.  i just want to lose a quick game of dominion.

Joseph2302

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2015, 10:24:36 am »

It's working for me on Chrome right now. It seems to be random whether it works for people or not though.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2015, 10:28:06 am »
+7

I have tried every browser (including Lynx) and none of them work. Grrr, it seems to be down every time I managed to escape family for 30 mins.  i just want to lose a quick game of dominion.

Luciferous, do you want to play-by-forum? I'll start:

pacovf: turn 1
pacovf plays 5 Copper
pacovf buys Mountebank
pacovf gains Mountebank

Eras

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2015, 10:35:03 am »

Not working for me either.
Something went wrong. Connection status is: 103

qmech

• Torturer
  • What year is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2015, 11:11:16 am »

I tried the Kindle experimental browser once.  I'm not sure what I was expecting.

It's working for me on Chrome right now. It seems to be random whether it works for people or not though.

Chrome just loaded but won't let me log in, and I haven't changed anything, so you might be right, but that doesn't explain the fact that I have the same problem with Prismata.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2015, 11:26:31 am »
+5

The closest thing I could find to an official announcement about this.

I fail to see how there's anything about this which is at all ironic. Is there some meaning of the word which that gentleman could be using which I do not understand?

qmech

• Torturer
  • What year is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2015, 11:36:38 am »
+1

I fail to see how there's anything about this which is at all ironic. Is there some meaning of the word which that gentleman could be using which I do not understand?

It's not even coincidental.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2015, 11:51:03 am »
+1

I hope this isn't fixed by tomorrow so I can convince Rabid to do another Base Set Battle.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2015, 12:00:46 pm »
+7

It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is six thousand lines of code and a competent network technician.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2015, 12:04:23 pm »

I hope this isn't fixed by tomorrow so I can convince Rabid to do another Base Set Battle.

I can't even get into multiplayer as a guest, so good luck with that.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

LuciferousPeridot

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2015, 12:31:08 pm »
+4

Luciferous, do you want to play-by-forum? I'll start:

pacovf: turn 1
pacovf plays 5 Copper
pacovf buys Mountebank
pacovf gains Mountebank

hmm. Beggar and Gardens in the set also.

LuciferousPeridot : turn 1
LuciferousPeridot plays 2 Copper
LuciferousPeridot buys Beggar
LuciferousPeridot gains Beggar

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2015, 12:40:42 pm »
+1

hmmm...

pacovf: turn 2
pacovf plays 2 Copper
pacovf buys Chapel
pacovf gains Chapel

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2015, 12:56:40 pm »
+10

You guys realize you're just going to lose to CelestialChameleon, right?

qmech

• Torturer
  • What year is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2015, 01:23:10 pm »
+1

I'm hoping they keep it plausible.  Bonus points if they actually build and shuffle their decks with real cards.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2015, 01:28:09 pm »

Is anyone getting massive glitches right now? My coin and token counters are stuck at zero. The store isn't loading. Adventures (which for once I want to play honestly) are saying I don't have the cards INCLUDING THE BASE SET. I made a post on the Goko forum and I reeeeeeally hope they see to this.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2015, 01:29:17 pm »
+5

Is anyone getting massive glitches right now? My coin and token counters are stuck at zero. The store isn't loading. Adventures (which for once I want to play honestly) are saying I don't have the cards INCLUDING THE BASE SET. I made a post on the Goko forum and I reeeeeeally hope they see to this.

I think you're doing better than most people if you can even log in.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2015, 01:34:14 pm »

It says you can't log in, but if you refresh the page, it works. It's freaking dumb. lol
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2015, 01:51:58 pm »

It says you can't log in, but if you refresh the page, it works. It's freaking dumb. lol

If that's true for you, you're doing better than me. I click "log in", and it brings up the prompt. I click "log in with Google", and it brings up the verification thing, but then it goes in like it's processing, and it pops back out to the title screen, and it's the default dude in silver armor. It doesn't get the log-in. If I click the multiplayer thing, then very occasionally, I will pop into a lobby as a guest. But usually, nothing happens.

flies

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2015, 02:09:34 pm »

I'm able to get into the lobby as a guest, but uhh, yeah, that's not really ideal...
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.

flies

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2015, 02:15:26 pm »
+4

trying to create an account produces an error that says, "there is a problem with the server," which is very informative.

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 10, 2015, 06:01:43 pm »

My cards all seem to still be around, but I'm also in the lost coins/VP boat.

qmech

• Torturer
  • What year is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 10, 2015, 06:36:40 pm »

I continue to be able to play from one computer but not the other.  I suspect my problem is orthogonal to everyone else's.

I also have the coins/VP thing, but I'm not worried about that.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 10, 2015, 06:45:04 pm »

I seem to be unable to log in. All I get is "Something went wrong. Connection status is: 103". Does anyone else have this problem?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #97 on: January 10, 2015, 06:49:24 pm »

I seem to be unable to log in. All I get is "Something went wrong. Connection status is: 103". Does anyone else have this problem?

Can't log in, don't get anything.

qmech

• Torturer
  • What year is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 10, 2015, 07:12:44 pm »

I loaded the page, and it remembered that I was logged in.  For Science I then logged out, and trying to log back in I get the 103 error.  So there's at least one problem specifically with the logging in.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #99 on: January 10, 2015, 07:30:44 pm »

I loaded the page, and it remembered that I was logged in.  For Science I then logged out

Well, was it worth it?

qmech

• Torturer
  • What year is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 10, 2015, 07:44:41 pm »
+3

I loaded the page, and it remembered that I was logged in.  For Science I then logged out

Well, was it worth it?

For you, anything.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 10, 2015, 08:18:49 pm »
+1

Meanwhile, Prismata and Hearthstone servers both seem to be fine.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 10, 2015, 08:20:47 pm »
+6

And people on those sites are likely Having Fun.
Posting begets posting.

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2015, 08:27:54 pm »
+1

But there is a huge difference between Having Fun and Making Fun.
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2015, 08:43:24 pm »
+1

Also online: Board Game Arena, Yucata.de, BSW.

Seriously... Goko is like a perfect microcosm of How Not To Do It.

Breezin

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2015, 10:51:48 pm »

It would be nice if someone from Goko would at least get on and let everyone know what's going on and when they expect it to be fixed.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2015, 11:08:11 pm »

I complained this morning. No email response yet. They'd better be working hard on this issue and not going fishing in Montana or something.

jamfamsam

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2015, 12:37:17 am »
+5

My expectation is that nothing will get worked on until Monday. I don't believe for one second that they are hard at work on this on the weekend.

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2015, 02:25:12 am »

I first encountered the problem on December 30th.
It's now January 11th.
I'm not confident that the only thing preventing a fix being immediately implemented is that it happens to be the weekend.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 11, 2015, 05:03:16 am »
+10

I think the basic occupation of Goko developers is to shuffle our decks while we play. They don't have any code implemented, they just work manually, with phisical extentions: shuffle, draw, trash, discard, send the result back.
So that explains the lags at least.

Joseph2302

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 11, 2015, 06:05:39 am »
+1

This appears to be the entirety of Goko responses to our problems:

Quote from: David (Admin) Today, 02:07UTC
Yes, unfortunately, these problems are ongoing. Fixes are underway, and today's attempt ran into some problems. The engineers have made this their top priority. I apologize for the problems. Hang in there, we'll get things back up and running!

Quote from: David (Admin) Today, 02:07UTC
My coins and VP also evaporated.
When this happens, it's a sign that server health is failing as the client (your PC) can't communicate with the server to get that data. Your information and data is intact, so it will be there for you.

Joseph2302

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 11, 2015, 06:34:45 am »

Also, I managed to login, did it work for anyone else?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 11, 2015, 07:30:09 am »
+8

Quite frankly, I don't expect them to work on the weekend, i.e. I don't feel like they should be. People get weekends off, time off is important.

Also, I am able to log in this morning as well.

sc0UT

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2015, 08:28:21 am »

I can log in, but
  • VP counter doesn't work.
  • Sidebar chat window doesn't work.
  • Alternate buttons doesn't work.
Sidebar log still works and iso rankings also.

OK fixed it. Disabled the salvager options and enabled them after browser restart again.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 08:48:13 am by sc0UT »

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 11, 2015, 09:53:04 am »
+2

Quite frankly, I don't expect them to work on the weekend, i.e. I don't feel like they should be. People get weekends off, time off is important.

Interesting viewpoint. I agree that time off is important, and I'm not going to equate game developers with police and fire personnel, who find a way to structure their work schedules so someone is always on duty.  However, there are less essential services that we pay for so we can use them any time we need them, and the companies that provide those services have people working on the weekends so that if something goes wrong, we still get what we pay for.  I'm thinking internet service, cable TV, etc.  Perhaps on the border of "non-essential" would be electricity, but that could be argued both ways, particularly depending on climate.

Plus, I'm pretty sure there were some non-weekend days between Dec. 30 and today.  But I get it, this stuff is really hard, and nobody has ever done anything like this before, so there is nowhere to go for advice, precedent, or experienced talent.  They've only had a couple of years, in a couple of incarnations, so we need to be patient.  Maybe they are undercapitalized.  Maybe they are constantly being hacked.  Maybe they don't have enough people.  I mean, this can't be a one man job, right?
Posting begets posting.

Joseph2302

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 11, 2015, 10:31:46 am »

I agree with this, however they're supposed to be running a 24/7 server, so should have a few staff in at weekends, in case there are problems. Especially as there were server overload problems last weekend as well, I'm guessing for the same reason (too many people, and no maintenance/updating at weekends)

jamfamsam

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2015, 10:54:33 am »
+1

I apologize to them. They were working on the weekend.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2015, 11:02:51 am »

Interesting viewpoint. I agree that time off is important, and I'm not going to equate game developers with police and fire personnel, who find a way to structure their work schedules so someone is always on duty.  However, there are less essential services that we pay for so we can use them any time we need them, and the companies that provide those services have people working on the weekends so that if something goes wrong, we still get what we pay for.  I'm thinking internet service, cable TV, etc.  Perhaps on the border of "non-essential" would be electricity, but that could be argued both ways, particularly depending on climate.

Plus, I'm pretty sure there were some non-weekend days between Dec. 30 and today.  But I get it, this stuff is really hard, and nobody has ever done anything like this before, so there is nowhere to go for advice, precedent, or experienced talent.  They've only had a couple of years, in a couple of incarnations, so we need to be patient.  Maybe they are undercapitalized.  Maybe they are constantly being hacked.  Maybe they don't have enough people.  I mean, this can't be a one man job, right?

Thanks for lampooning what I said. It's really nice of you.

Obviously I don't think it's a normal thing for nobody to work on this for 2 weeks, when there is a problem (though to be a little bit fair to them, it hasn't been down that whole time, but intermittently). Certainly all those things I tend to expect them to have service all the time. (Certainly the emergency/necessity things, but also something like cable). It's good for them as a company. But when you get hired to a position which requires that, you know what you're signing up for. I assume that isn't the case for the current developers. And while you could argue they should have people whose job it is, but you know that the company isn't big enough for that, and it's not economically viable. You can't pay someone to do that off the budget you're going to have from the money this game is bringing in. That's just the reality of the situation. And so yeah, I don't think they've really programmed well, especially if you want to lump everything in from the start of the project (which I don't think is fair to the current people at all, quite frankly), but at the same time, I don't feel so "you should be working on this right now because I can't play my game" to those programmers who do this as their day job.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 11, 2015, 11:38:53 am »
+4

The one problem I'm actually sure the Goko staff isn't suffering from is working too much.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 11, 2015, 11:49:52 am »
+6

I agree with everything you said in post 117, WW, and I apologize if I made you feel I was lampooning you.  I was not. Them?  Sure.

I also could have been clearer that I don't expect the developers to be there on the weekends, but I do expect a skeleton crew that can fix the fact that no one can log on, especially when the problem appears to keep repeating over multiple days or multiple weekends.  Having said that, I do feel that if the log on issues are related to something in the code from a patch or update, then the developers need to be there on the weekends fixing that, or someone that is there needs to have the authority/ability to revert to a previous snaphot of the software to remove that problem temporarily, until the developers get back in on Monday.

I acknowledge that I have once again forgotten that this is not Goko, this is another group of folks taking their shot at implementing Dominion.  So saddling MF with legacy angst over their predecessor's ineptitude is indeed unfair. I don't even know if MF chose to use any Goko code, or whether they started from scratch.  However, the facts are:

1) They've had a long time, and it is still not working
2) Other people had a long time, and apparently gave up

My inference from those two facts is that one of two things is true:  a) It really is so difficult that extraordinary resources are required, or b) the two groups of people attempting it have been incompetent in one or more of the many possible activities required (fiscal management, allocation of resources, hiring talent, accurate evaluation of the scope of the project, procurement of raw materials, writing actual code, etc.).  I guess a third option is that they just don't give a flip and aren't really trying, but I tend not to dwell on that.

Given that a single individual has done it, and done it well, we know it can be done, and done without extraordinary resources.  That would tend to invalidate inference "a". There are sites that reliably handle , day in and day out, an extremely large number of players logging on and playing games that are much more resource intensive than this attempted implementation of Dominion.  That alone leads me to believe that inference "b" is correct.  If so, the situation should be correctable, but someone has not figured that out, or can't or won't change anything. I fully expect that MF will eventually abandon their attempt as well.

Until that happens, then at least during intermittent server failures, I'll continue making fun of Making Fun.  It is something to do while I can't play Dominion online.
Posting begets posting.

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 11, 2015, 11:56:06 am »

Until that happens, then at least during intermittent server failures, I'll continue making fun of Making Fun.

Convincing myself this is all some sort of cosmic joke is the only way to preserve my sanity!

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2015, 12:28:27 pm »
+8

In the software world, at least the software world I live in, the only distinction between "not working at all" and "only working part of the time" is one of helping me track down what the issue is. The product isn't working, and from the customers' perspective (or anyone in the world except the person trying to fix the issue) it might as well be dead all of the time.

You may say that Goko working some of the time is better than it working none of the time because hey, it's working some of the time, right? Well, the short answer to that is "No. Just no." For several reasons, the big ones include:

1. I paid them money. The promise they gave me is that I could use their game whenever I want. Some outages are allowable, but this one is multiple orders of magnitude beyond what is acceptable. They are not delivering on the promise that made me pay them money.

2. I've wasted a few hours of my time this week scheduling and/or attempting to play league and world cup matches that just didn't work out because Goko wasn't working. If Goko was just broken my time wouldn't have been wasted.

The whole thing about feeling sympathy towards their workers is also something I don't understand. It's not like they need to hire someone to sit there all night and all of the weekends, just sitting in front of the computer, playing Solitaire just in case something breaks. No, you can just have someone on call in case something happens.

And even if they needed to do that first thing, having someone just sit around and have no life; well, that's what they signed up for. If they didn't want to make a commitment to have their servers up and running 24/7/365, then they should have told us that their servers would only run during certain times before I paid them my money. There is no reason to relax this expectation, not even a little bit.

Things happen, stuff goes wrong. Hardware fails, or transient bugs come up that manifest in weird, unforeseen ways. Regardless, if it hasn't been fixed within a "reasonable amount of time"* then someone needs to make an official statement and say what's going on. That's a reasonable expectation to have.

The excuses we've been given -- the code was bad, we're doing our best, we're writing a new thing. They don't make this any more OK. I'm not even going to talk about how true these excuses may be (in this post**) but these things are not acceptable reasons to not provide the service they promised.

Seriously, if I performed like this at my job, I'd be fired. There's no reason not to hold them to these completely reasonable expectations.

*if I'm being as generous as I can possibly be, I'll give them 24 hours for this. It's been what, two weeks now? Completely unacceptable***.

**OK I lied, I can't resist. They're total crap.

***I tried so hard to get a clip of Viktor Navorski (Tom Hanks' character in The Terminal****) saying "Unacceptable" for this, but I couldn't find one. Sad day.

****Best movie ever.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

LuciferousPeridot

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 11, 2015, 12:46:46 pm »
+4

Until that happens, then at least during intermittent server failures, I'll continue making fun of Making Fun.

Convincing myself this is all some sort of cosmic joke is the only way to preserve my sanity!

They are called Making Fun and they don't appear to understand what the word 'ironic' means?

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 11, 2015, 12:50:13 pm »
+1

[...]

This, lol. It's not like we're expecting more from them than what can be done by one guy in his spare time after a dayjob at Google.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2015, 01:43:32 pm »

[...]

This, lol. It's not like we're expecting more from them than what can be done by one guy in his spare time after a dayjob at Google.

And that is why I keep making that precise point, over and over again.
Posting begets posting.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2015, 01:48:00 pm »

[...]

+1 for you  :)

But I'm mildly* offended that you omitted the part where you said The Terminal With Tom Hanks is the best movie ever, I feel that deserved additional emphasis.

*by "mildly" I mean "not actually"

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2015, 02:29:05 pm »
+2

@Adam: word.

I'm incensed at Goko/MF right now. I made a thread on their forum about the counter/adventure glitches. Today, I checked, and the thread had been deleted. They moved my post into another thread... about a different glitch. That just gives it away that they don't actually care about their user feedback and they're just lumping everything under the blanket title of "some people are having problems". If you want people to have a good time on your website, you might want to, I dunno, pay attention to what issues people are actually having.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2015, 03:00:38 pm »
+6

the thread had been deleted. They moved my post into another thread...

On the bright side, things really must be going blissfully well if regrouping complaints has made it to the top of their priority list!

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2015, 04:37:53 pm »
+1

In the software world, at least the software world I live in, the only distinction between "not working at all" and "only working part of the time" is one of helping me track down what the issue is. The product isn't working, and from the customers' perspective (or anyone in the world except the person trying to fix the issue) it might as well be dead all of the time.
I don't disagree. The reason I pointed out what I pointed out was because a)it might not actually be the same problem. b)more importantly, I would guess that they THOUGHT it was fixed. Is that stupid of them? Sure, probably. Are they incompetent? I can't really argue against that. But I also would argue that you really shouldn't be mad at someone because they're incompetent or stupid.

You may say that Goko working some of the time is better than it working none of the time because hey, it's working some of the time, right? Well, the short answer to that is "No. Just no." For several reasons, the big ones include:

1. I paid them money. The promise they gave me is that I could use their game whenever I want. Some outages are allowable, but this one is multiple orders of magnitude beyond what is acceptable. They are not delivering on the promise that made me pay them money.

2. I've wasted a few hours of my time this week scheduling and/or attempting to play league and world cup matches that just didn't work out because Goko wasn't working. If Goko was just broken my time wouldn't have been wasted.
1. What promise? When did they make you that promise? They never made me that promise. Seriously, they didn't actually promise you anything. You assumed that. All of that, you assumed that. Quite frankly, it wasn't a great assumption to make. You had no reason to expect this from them. Should you be able to expect that kind of service? That's a question we can ask. But based on what we had seen, it was naive of you to think it would magically get to that point. It was never there.

2. Again, this isn't Goko. It's Making Fun. But more to the point, that you had made plans is not their problem. Just like your point at the top, that it's out is a problem whether sometimes or all the time, the same thing here. It's out is not more of a problem because you had special plans. And I had the same special plans, and I sat around all day waiting yesterday, too, but their problem is that their service isn't working, not that it isn't working when we wanted to do this stuff. It's not like they set the league up or promote it or anything like that.

The whole thing about feeling sympathy towards their workers is also something I don't understand. It's not like they need to hire someone to sit there all night and all of the weekends, just sitting in front of the computer, playing Solitaire just in case something breaks. No, you can just have someone on call in case something happens.

And even if they needed to do that first thing, having someone just sit around and have no life; well, that's what they signed up for. If they didn't want to make a commitment to have their servers up and running 24/7/365, then they should have told us that their servers would only run during certain times before I paid them my money. There is no reason to relax this expectation, not even a little bit.
I'm not necessarily imagining them sitting there playing solitaire or what have you. I get on call. But that doesn't change my point. My point is, that's NOT what they (the workers) signed up for. Or at least, I assume it isn't. I know that I certainly wouldn't take a job working there if I had to be on call. If any job I worked at was going to have me work outside my working hours, I'd say forget it. Why in the world should I do that? It's waaaaaaay more important for me to have the time alone with my loved ones - and that is something I think is true for everyone.

Things happen, stuff goes wrong. Hardware fails, or transient bugs come up that manifest in weird, unforeseen ways. Regardless, if it hasn't been fixed within a "reasonable amount of time"* then someone needs to make an official statement and say what's going on. That's a reasonable expectation to have.

The excuses we've been given -- the code was bad, we're doing our best, we're writing a new thing. They don't make this any more OK. I'm not even going to talk about how true these excuses may be (in this post**) but these things are not acceptable reasons to not provide the service they promised.

Seriously, if I performed like this at my job, I'd be fired. There's no reason not to hold them to these completely reasonable expectations.

*if I'm being as generous as I can possibly be, I'll give them 24 hours for this. It's been what, two weeks now? Completely unacceptable***.

**OK I lied, I can't resist. They're total crap.

***I tried so hard to get a clip of Viktor Navorski (Tom Hanks' character in The Terminal****) saying "Unacceptable" for this, but I couldn't find one. Sad day.

****Best movie ever.

But the issue is, there's no way to actually hold them to these expectations. You payed them money for access to those cards. They can completely go out of business, permanently take the site down tomorrow, they'd be fine. So long as they aren't running the service whilst denying you access, they're fine. You can complain until the cows come home, but that is all you can do. You can give them a bad name, I suppose, so that other people don't start using their service. I'm not sure that this really helps you, but feel free. Just don't be surprised if this doesn't help anything - why would it? You don't think they know this is an arrangement people are going to be unhappy with? The issue is, no matter how easy it supposedly is to do this - and while I don't think it's as "absolutely anyone can do it, piece of cake" easy as some would make it sound, I don't doubt that it is indeed very doable - the people who are running these companies clearly have not been able to get the site working on anything which would resemble good quality, and I think it's quite, how do I say, foolhardy, to expect otherwise, at the very least until they have demonstrated otherwise.

tl;dr it's your own fault for assuming they'd be good when every sign has shown us otherwise.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2015, 05:04:11 pm »

don't forget Bridge Base Online

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2015, 05:09:35 pm »
+11

I'm impressed at the amount of time and effort WW is spending to tell people they shouldn't waste their time and effort on complaining.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2015, 05:16:34 pm »
+2

I'm not necessarily imagining them sitting there playing solitaire or what have you. I get on call. But that doesn't change my point. My point is, that's NOT what they (the workers) signed up for. Or at least, I assume it isn't. I know that I certainly wouldn't take a job working there if I had to be on call. If any job I worked at was going to have me work outside my working hours, I'd say forget it. Why in the world should I do that? It's waaaaaaay more important for me to have the time alone with my loved ones - and that is something I think is true for everyone.

We have no way of actually knowing what they actually signed up for, or how many developers they have, but it is absolutely reasonable to assume that theysomeone did in fact sign up to keep the web service running. This is the industry standard, and is the expectation for customers of a web service.  The company I work for has a web service, and the developers on that team take turns being on call because that is what is expected from our customers.

I do not envy the developer(s) who are working on this project right now, and they aren't the first company to struggle with customer relations in this type of situation; However, I don't think it is correct to say that they did not sign up to keep their webservice running.  If they don't have anyone on call to deal with weekend server issues, it is a deviation from standard and is absolutely something that should have been communicated to customers before they purchased the product.  (Slap a "beta" on it for 10 years like Google...)

I'm impressed at the amount of time and effort WW is spending to tell people they shouldn't waste their time and effort on complaining.
Goko is down... what the heck else are we all supposed to do.  ;)

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2015, 05:19:13 pm »
+1

You can complain until the cows come home, but that is all you can do. You can give them a bad name, I suppose, so that other people don't start using their service. I'm not sure that this really helps you, but feel free. Just don't be surprised if this doesn't help anything - why would it?

This is all I can do, correct. But it does make me feel better, and I'm sure many people are amused by it  :)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 11, 2015, 05:41:49 pm »

We have no way of actually knowing what they actually signed up for, or how many developers they have, but it is absolutely reasonable to assume that theysomeone did in fact sign up to keep the web service running. This is the industry standard, and is the expectation for customers of a web service.  The company I work for has a web service, and the developers on that team take turns being on call because that is what is expected from our customers.

I do not envy the developer(s) who are working on this project right now, and they aren't the first company to struggle with customer relations in this type of situation; However, I don't think it is correct to say that they did not sign up to keep their webservice running.  If they don't have anyone on call to deal with weekend server issues, it is a deviation from standard and is absolutely something that should have been communicated to customers before they purchased the product.  (Slap a "beta" on it for 10 years like Google...)

Goko is down... what the heck else are we all supposed to do.  ;)

Obviously if someone signed up for that, I would expect them to be working on it, doing that right now. I'd be stunned by that, though, considering the level of service we've been receiving on a consistent basis...

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 11, 2015, 05:46:53 pm »
+2

And don't forget innovation.isotropic.org! (I plug because dougz is awesome more so than that innovation is awesome.  Echoes+Figures can be pretty fun though)

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 11, 2015, 05:50:06 pm »

I for one play hearts on my computer while I wait for my PBF opponent to post his turn.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #136 on: January 11, 2015, 05:50:44 pm »

And don't forget innovation.isotropic.org! (I plug because dougz is awesome more so than that innovation is awesome.  Echoes+Figures can be pretty fun though)

Innovation is awesome though, even base only games.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 11, 2015, 05:52:38 pm »

Innovation is awesome though, even base only games.

I have not enjoyed the few games of Innovation I've played.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 11, 2015, 06:06:30 pm »

But I also would argue that you really shouldn't be mad at someone because they're incompetent or stupid.

Thanks for this reminder, this is something I forget WAY too often.
Posting begets posting.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 11, 2015, 07:36:00 pm »

Oh, and by the by, I once again can't get in. Actually, the seemingly random nature of when I can and can't is the biggest weird frustration for me, personally.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2015, 07:40:48 pm »

Oh, and by the by, I once again can't get in. Actually, the seemingly random nature of when I can and can't is the biggest weird frustration for me, personally.

The ways of Goko are inscrutable...

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 11, 2015, 08:02:52 pm »
+2

Obviously if someone signed up for that, I would expect them to be working on it, doing that right now. I'd be stunned by that, though, considering the level of service we've been receiving on a consistent basis...

I can't really disagree with you there.  I mainly just wanted to say that lacking someone who keeps the server running 24/7 (or at least 12/7) is not a normal situation for a web service.  I think Adam is correct when he said a policy of "we won't make sure our service stays up on the weekend" is something that should be transparent to customers before they decide to make a purchase.  Unfortunately, that would be a bit of a Catch-22 because I suspect you would get negative feedback similar to that in this thread just by stating such a policy.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 12, 2015, 08:07:47 am »
+2

I don't think MF is worried about, listens to, is aware of, or potentially even can read negative feedback.
Posting begets posting.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2015, 10:54:59 am »
+1

Um... hate to be that person but... all my glitches are fixed now. Logged in automatically, counters are working and accurate, store is loading, adventures are business as usual.

I think they finally got it.

TwitchYouTubeMusic

Joseph2302

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 12, 2015, 10:57:36 am »
+1

Um... hate to be that person but... all my glitches are fixed now. Logged in automatically, counters are working and accurate, store is loading, adventures are business as usual.

hmm, not wanting to be a downer, but I had everything working half of yesterday, then suddenly stopped working. Although everything seems fine to me now too :)

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 12, 2015, 11:03:38 am »
+1

hmm, not wanting to be a downer, but I had everything working half of yesterday, then suddenly stopped working. Although everything seems fine to me now too :)

I was locked out all of yesterday, then I went on today for the first time and it was completely normal. I want to believe that they have everything working now, but I guess this just means that the down points are happening less often. Still, it's a massive improvement!

TwitchYouTubeMusic

Joseph2302

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 12, 2015, 11:36:03 am »

There's over 200 people in lobbies on Goko, that's about normal. Guess it's fixed then (at least until next time) :)

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 12, 2015, 12:13:47 pm »

More server downtime. Yay. I mailed Goko two days ago about this. Not even so much as a response. Goko = Comcast

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 12, 2015, 12:16:42 pm »

Annnnnnnnnnnd it's down again.

It's like they saw people having fun with the working server and were like "Nope! Can't have that!"

Eh, even though Goko are made of suck, I don't think they can be as bad as Scamcast.

TwitchYouTubeMusic

Joseph2302

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 12, 2015, 12:20:00 pm »

This one is their normal server restart, that happens every Monday. I was playing, and there was a warning message about it. Was working fine before then.

sc0UT

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 12, 2015, 01:25:38 pm »

The Mainpage is not available.

Quote from: Goko - Fixing Things now!
Dominion Online is currently undergoing routine maintenance.
We apologize for the inconvenience but please check back soon.

Everything will be good ::)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 02:01:44 pm by sc0UT »

DavidTheDavid

• Dominion Online Staff
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 12, 2015, 02:12:55 pm »
+20

Hi, all. I'm David (Admin) on the Making Fun forums. I do player support for Dominion Online and another game in the Making Fun stable. Dominion Online traffic had been pretty steady for a long time and the servers handled that fine as long as we rebooted the servers a couple of times a week. Around Christmas time, we saw a spike in traffic that stayed pretty steady. Myself, I speculate that people were getting boxed sets of the game and looking for it online. Anyhow, that's beside the point. That increased traffic overloaded the servers, and the lead engineer for the project, along with others involved in server issues, have been focused on repairing that. A deployment was attempted, Friday or Saturday, I can't remember which, but that failed. Plans were discussed about what to do next, and I just asked for an update that I can share with people. The problem is indeed the team's priority, and lot of people are working on it. That last thing we want is for the game to be down. Thanks for your continued patience and apologies for the ongoing problems.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 02:14:32 pm by DavidTheDavid »

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 12, 2015, 03:27:32 pm »
+8

Hi, all. I'm David (Admin) on the Making Fun forums. I do player support for Dominion Online and another game in the Making Fun stable.

Thank you for responding in this thread.

Dominion Online traffic had been pretty steady for a long time and the servers handled that fine as long as we rebooted the servers a couple of times a week. Around Christmas time, we saw a spike in traffic that stayed pretty steady. Myself, I speculate that people were getting boxed sets of the game and looking for it online. Anyhow, that's beside the point. That increased traffic overloaded the servers, and the lead engineer for the project, along with others involved in server issues, have been focused on repairing that. A deployment was attempted, Friday or Saturday, I can't remember which, but that failed. Plans were discussed about what to do next, and I just asked for an update that I can share with people. The problem is indeed the team's priority, and lot of people are working on it. That last thing we want is for the game to be down. Thanks for your continued patience and apologies for the ongoing problems.

I have to say I am disappointed that you are saying  traffic is the reason. It's not like it was totally unexpected: it happened last year, too.

Old customers that become disenchanted with Online Dominion are almost certainly never coming back. What Online Dominion needs to be successful long term is more more new buyers unaware of the problems of the past. That's what Christmas delivers each and every year. Not many online products get a second, third,... chance at life. Yet, here you go. You get that chance. Blank slate customers discovering the wonders of Dominion and then wondering if they can play it online. And for the second year in a row, you missed that chance.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 12, 2015, 03:37:13 pm »
+3

The main thing I take from that plot is that American dates are confusing to read.

Also, I am looking forward to Goko fixing stuff up. Everybody and their mother are hanging around in this forum. It's sloooooooooooooowiiiiiiiiiiiiiing thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiings doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnn.

DavidTheDavid

• Dominion Online Staff
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 12, 2015, 03:46:57 pm »
+3

I wasn't around last year. I can't really speak to that, Polk5440. I'm also not involved with marketing or planning or UI design or QA. I do player support, of the "Yes, I can find out what happened with that purchase" or "King's Court actually works this way" or "Yes, I can enable your account for you" variety. As such, I know that I become the most visible target, but I really can't respond to those things, Polk5440, as it's just not what I'm involved with.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 12, 2015, 03:51:09 pm »
+7

Hi, all. I'm David (Admin) on the Making Fun forums. I do player support for Dominion Online and another game in the Making Fun stable. Dominion Online traffic had been pretty steady for a long time and the servers handled that fine as long as we rebooted the servers a couple of times a week. Around Christmas time, we saw a spike in traffic that stayed pretty steady. Myself, I speculate that people were getting boxed sets of the game and looking for it online. Anyhow, that's beside the point. That increased traffic overloaded the servers, and the lead engineer for the project, along with others involved in server issues, have been focused on repairing that. A deployment was attempted, Friday or Saturday, I can't remember which, but that failed. Plans were discussed about what to do next, and I just asked for an update that I can share with people. The problem is indeed the team's priority, and lot of people are working on it. That last thing we want is for the game to be down. Thanks for your continued patience and apologies for the ongoing problems.
You could block people from registering for now, and not let people play who aren't registered. Give a message, we will have some awesome version of this game up soon. That way you don't make a never-come-back first impression on more new people, while improving performance for the people you've got.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 12, 2015, 03:52:34 pm »
+3

Goko: Games That Someone Can Play

Joseph2302

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 12, 2015, 05:26:45 pm »
+8

Seems it's working now for everyone. Also, this is different, a message from the CEO:

The system had been working pretty well for the past several months, with twice-weekly reboots to keep it that way. We started seeing increased traffic in late December / early January. Initially, that increased traffic did not have an effect on stability. However, in the past week we started to see some danger signs and had to do more frequent system reboots. We started the major surgery late last week to attempt to fix what we were seeing and increase capacity in the system. On Thursday a login bug surfaced that was affecting at least those people logging in with Facebook (including me). We have been taking the servers up and down to do releases over the past several days. We had a few hours of downtime today, but it is back up now and performing better. I am happy that I can once again log in and play. The team continues to work to address the error messages we are seeing in the logs in the hopes of keeping the system up as much as possible.

It is a balancing act for us. We prefer to spend our time working on the new Unity-based web & mobile version of Dominion Online so we can launch it and take down the troublesome version live now. It is unfortunate we had to interrupt the momentum with the new version to work on the live version, but stuff happens. The new version is almost a completely new code base that is streamlined to be Dominion-specific -- not a generic platform on top of which Dominion was implemented. We expect it to be far more stable and scalable once the usual initial kinks are worked out.

OK, so before everyone writes back to say, "When will it be available!?!?!".... we aren't ready to give a date yet. Instead, I will tell you where we are. We have a Unity client version that I play daily on iPad. The only gameplay mode implemented currently is 2-player Bots, but that code is getting fairly robust and when complete it is largely reused for Multiplayer and Adventure matches. We are starting to work on the platform-specific work (authentication and in-app purchases). We need that to be complete to get through Apple approval, and we need Apple approval in order to distribute beta versions via their new TestFlight service.

We want to get the new app out to many people in the community ASAP so we can start getting feedback and so you can finally see some progress out of the team and appreciate the work that we have been doing. I know it has taken a long time - believe me, it is killing us to have to run/fix the live version while we are also building the new version - and we share your yearning to see the new version live so we can all play on our devices of choice.

-John Welch
CEO, Making Fun

Honestly, to me this seems positive.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 12, 2015, 05:27:18 pm »

I wasn't around last year. I can't really speak to that, Polk5440.....

So many categories to file this under.
"Wasn't here when that happened"
"Can't read history"
"Wouldn't make use of history if we read it"
"I'm player support, not customer service"
"Not my job"

If that seems unfair David, then I say to you this: You have our thanks for posting, and providing a legitimate update.  You get additional bonus points for coming back to the thread a second time, and some additional respect (not the upvote kind) for acknowledging that you're a visible target.  You did that gracefully too.  You are likely not PR, and not everyone thinks in PR terms, but a much more appropriate response to Polk would have been something like "Wow, I understand that we should have seen this one coming, and I'll make sure I pass this info on to the appropriate folks so it doesn't happen again." 

The folks in QA should understand the difference between fixing a bug and making a corrective action. Lack of server capacity could have (see the data) caused this customer experience before.  A root cause analysis, followed by design and implementation of the appropriate corrective action, followed by monitoring of that corrective action to evaluate and document its efficacy, is what is needed.  As opposed to sending out a player support person to explain why and how the ball got dropped.

The folks at Blizzard might be willing to give you some pointers on scaling up server capacity as # of games increases.  I really worry that you guys are trying to re-invent the wheel on every facet of this attempted implementation.
Posting begets posting.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 12, 2015, 05:38:49 pm »
+1

Seems it's working now for everyone. Also, this is different, a message from the CEO:

The system had been working pretty well for the past several months, with twice-weekly reboots to keep it that way. We started seeing increased traffic in late December / early January. Initially, that increased traffic did not have an effect on stability. However, in the past week we started to see some danger signs and had to do more frequent system reboots. We started the major surgery late last week to attempt to fix what we were seeing and increase capacity in the system. On Thursday a login bug surfaced that was affecting at least those people logging in with Facebook (including me). We have been taking the servers up and down to do releases over the past several days. We had a few hours of downtime today, but it is back up now and performing better. I am happy that I can once again log in and play. The team continues to work to address the error messages we are seeing in the logs in the hopes of keeping the system up as much as possible.

It is a balancing act for us. We prefer to spend our time working on the new Unity-based web & mobile version of Dominion Online so we can launch it and take down the troublesome version live now. It is unfortunate we had to interrupt the momentum with the new version to work on the live version, but stuff happens. The new version is almost a completely new code base that is streamlined to be Dominion-specific -- not a generic platform on top of which Dominion was implemented. We expect it to be far more stable and scalable once the usual initial kinks are worked out.

OK, so before everyone writes back to say, "When will it be available!?!?!".... we aren't ready to give a date yet. Instead, I will tell you where we are. We have a Unity client version that I play daily on iPad. The only gameplay mode implemented currently is 2-player Bots, but that code is getting fairly robust and when complete it is largely reused for Multiplayer and Adventure matches. We are starting to work on the platform-specific work (authentication and in-app purchases). We need that to be complete to get through Apple approval, and we need Apple approval in order to distribute beta versions via their new TestFlight service.

We want to get the new app out to many people in the community ASAP so we can start getting feedback and so you can finally see some progress out of the team and appreciate the work that we have been doing. I know it has taken a long time - believe me, it is killing us to have to run/fix the live version while we are also building the new version - and we share your yearning to see the new version live so we can all play on our devices of choice.

-John Welch
CEO, Making Fun

Honestly, to me this seems positive.
I can't see how.  They couldn't get one version working before they began working on another product.  'It's killing them that they have to divert attention/resources to run/fix the product that they are already collecting money for but that doesn't work correctly, because they really want to be working on what they are certain is what we REALLY want - to be able to play on something other than a computer'. Well, no, what we want is to get what we paid for, which is to play the game.  I don't know why that is such a troubling concept. 

Will the next version be free?  'Cause based on a lot of history, I can't see "the community" wanting to pay MORE money to this company to take a chance that the code will be something beyond "fairly robust" and that a (hopeful) player will actually be able to log in when they want.
Posting begets posting.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 12, 2015, 05:43:35 pm »

Do we know how the transition from Goko to Making Fun happened?

Did Goko want out, and sold their rights to implement the game to Making Fun?  Did their contract run out?  Did Jay fire them?  Or is all that stuff top secret?
Posting begets posting.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #161 on: January 12, 2015, 05:52:11 pm »
+3

I can't see how.  They couldn't get one version working before they began working on another product.  'It's killing them that they have to divert attention/resources to run/fix the product that they are already collecting money for but that doesn't work correctly, because they really want to be working on what they are certain is what we REALLY want - to be able to play on something other than a computer'. Well, no, what we want is to get what we paid for, which is to play the game.  I don't know why that is such a troubling concept.

The current version that doesn't work and sucks when it works was not made by Making Fun.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 12, 2015, 06:42:40 pm »

So they are (re)using Goko code?  Did they buy Goko?
Posting begets posting.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #163 on: January 12, 2015, 06:48:41 pm »
+1

We don't know all the details, but yes, the game is legacy code essentially. 

Supposedly this new version they're working on is a completely different product.  At this point all bets are off.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 12, 2015, 06:48:42 pm »
+7

Did Goko want out, and sold their rights to implement the game to Making Fun?  Did their contract run out?  Did Jay fire them?  Or is all that stuff top secret?
I don't think it's anything to do with Jay, and beyond that I don't really know. Goko stopped being an entity that did anything in the late summer or early fall of 2013 (Making Fun took over in late fall or early winter). I don't know what their legal role is. As long as their logo still appears somewhere, I guess they still have some kind of role. They couldn't be getting much of a cut, or the project wouldn't be attractive to anyone.

The current version of the program is the Goko version, as tampered with by Making Fun. Making Fun are making a new version, my estimate is that they started this fall. As they announced, it's in Unity instead of HTML5. This of course goes back to wanting a lot of the same code to work on multiple platforms.

The example that has stayed with me as to how bad the Goko version is, is, when you do something with a card, it sends the card image from the server. Play a Silver - it sends the image. Over and over.

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 12, 2015, 06:53:55 pm »
+4

The example that has stayed with me as to how bad the Goko version is, is, when you do something with a card, it sends the card image from the server. Play a Silver - it sends the image. Over and over.

Equally hilarious:

It's really painful to have to find where Goko does X, understand its horrible undocumented code, and then figure out how to modify it to do Y instead.

Actually, it's even worse than that because chunks of code are reused in totally unexpected places, so you're never safe to assume that you're only making a local change. For example, when Goko wants to check which expansion sets you own (for the store or something), it runs its code to generate a random kingdom (!) and then looks at the list of sets that gets cached along the way. That means you can't replace the kingdom generating code without breaking all sorts of other stuff.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 12, 2015, 07:00:06 pm »
+1

The current version of the program is the Goko version, as tampered with by Making Fun. Making Fun are making a new version, my estimate is that they started this fall. As they announced, it's in Unity instead of HTML5. This of course goes back to wanting a lot of the same code to work on multiple platforms.
Thanks so much for this. I will quit beating on MF for the things Nogo did, and focus entirely on their complete incompetence in allocating resources (perhaps most notably investing any time at all trying to fix bad code).

It would have been so much better (for them, not just us) to just shut it down, put up a message about a new version yet to come, playable on multiple devices.  Then standup Isotropic while we wait.

Note to Making Fun:  It's not too late to implement that plan.
Posting begets posting.

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 12, 2015, 07:28:42 pm »
+7

Thanks so much for this. I will quit beating on MF for the things Nogo did, and focus entirely on their complete incompetence in allocating resources (perhaps most notably investing any time at all trying to fix bad code).

It would have been so much better (for them, not just us) to just shut it down, put up a message about a new version yet to come, playable on multiple devices.  Then standup Isotropic while we wait.

Note to Making Fun:  It's not too late to implement that plan.

While I agree with everything you say, I think it's better to be friendly and open to any sign of a positive direction. In the long run we prefer the company running Dominion Online to be represented on this forum and share with us as much as reasonable. So if a representative of MF comes on here with a humble attitude there's really no point to beating him with stuff he may not even have been involved with. He could easily have stayed away without doing any further harm to the brand's image (which, granted, is pretty much impossible).

Had he come here with an arrogant attitude of "wtf are you guys whining about, the site is perfectly fine, it has an uptime of over 50%!" I'd have been the absolute first to burn him into the ground so completely as to make him regret he'd ever been born, but seeing that he seems to have good intentions and provides useful information, let's at least try to withold judgment until he proves us wrong.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 12, 2015, 07:48:09 pm »
+3

Exactly. It's good to get someone from MF coming in here and tell us what's going on.

On the bright side, it does seem like the new version will be much better. I just hope I can also play it on my laptop. I don't want to buy a tablet just to play Dominion.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 12, 2015, 07:57:57 pm »

Exactly. It's good to get someone from MF coming in here and tell us what's going on.

On the bright side, it does seem like the new version will be much better. I just hope I can also play it on my laptop. I don't want to buy a tablet just to play Dominion.

All of my experience with stuff done in Unity is that it works most easily on non-mobile OS, then gets ported to mobile (see: Hearthstone).

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 12, 2015, 08:25:28 pm »

All of my experience with stuff done in Unity is that it works most easily on non-mobile OS, then gets ported to mobile (see: Hearthstone).

If they had started with a mobile app, then mobile-only might have been a viable marketing strategy.
But you can't start with (essentially) a desktop-based implementation, then dump support for desktops to focus on mobile-only.
At least not without losing a huge chunk of whatever market you've already established.

Personally, if they can make a version that works well on Android, I will play online a whole lot more than I currently do.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 12, 2015, 08:40:02 pm »
+3

If they had started with a mobile app, then mobile-only might have been a viable marketing strategy.
But you can't start with (essentially) a desktop-based implementation, then dump support for desktops to focus on mobile-only.
At least not without losing a huge chunk of whatever market you've already established.

Personally, if they can make a version that works well on Android, I will play online a whole lot more than I currently do.
There is zero talk of not supporting computers.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 12, 2015, 08:41:11 pm »

If they flipped isotropic on, they could keep all their resources on their cool new thing, yeah.  They can ban the f2ps like me from it too, I don't care, I'll go play some other game and be glad that people are happy

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 12, 2015, 08:43:23 pm »
+5

In their defense, the company is Making Fun.  It gives no promise of when said fun will be made.

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 12, 2015, 09:10:26 pm »

Sorry, I didn't mean for that comment to sound like a complaint.
I was trying to reiterate that there's no way they would dump support for desktop, because it would be suicidal.
On the other hand, a native mobile app would be a huge win, IMO.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 13, 2015, 07:43:21 pm »
+1

Sorry, I didn't mean for that comment to sound like a complaint.
I was trying to reiterate that there's no way they would dump support for desktop, because it would be suicidal.
On the other hand, a native mobile app would be a huge win, IMO.
And I would argue that, oh never mind.
Posting begets posting.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 15, 2015, 01:26:45 pm »

So I play mostly casual games with a friend from university who's currently working in China - except I usually don't, because MF fails to load a game for him about half the time and it takes about 4+ minutes to load a game when it does succeed. Conversely, I load the game almost instantly

Does anyone know why this kind of problem occurs? It happens regardless if my friend is on VPN, so the Great Firewall doesn't seem to be the problem.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 15, 2015, 02:07:33 pm »

So I play mostly casual games with a friend from university who's currently working in China - except I usually don't, because MF fails to load a game for him about half the time and it takes about 4+ minutes to load a game when it does succeed. Conversely, I load the game almost instantly

Does anyone know why this kind of problem occurs? It happens regardless if my friend is on VPN, so the Great Firewall doesn't seem to be the problem.

China probably has worse routers and stuff. Have you seen their cheap knockoffs of our products and cars?

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 15, 2015, 02:09:34 pm »

He doesn't have problem loading random webpages, it's just MF that's being an MF...

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 15, 2015, 02:13:39 pm »

China probably has worse routers and stuff. Have you seen their cheap knockoffs of our products and cars?

...not sure if serious or sarcasm

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: January 15, 2015, 02:23:02 pm »

...not sure if serious or sarcasm

Sarcasm.
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8 [All]

Page created in 0.407 seconds with 20 queries.