Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Euphoria - Anyone played it?  (Read 1474 times)

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
Euphoria - Anyone played it?
« on: February 05, 2014, 06:50:00 pm »

I was curious if anyone had played this game yet, and if so what they thought of it?

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
Re: Euphoria - Anyone played it?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 12:00:32 pm »
+1

I played a couple of games. It's an interesting worker placement game. I don't know if I'd go out of my way to buy it, but I know someone with it and would be up for playing it again.

It's definitely a lot for a new player to take in. First game was clunky. I felt more comfortable with the second game. The replayability is interesting with the different buildings. I'm not sure how I feel about the character cards. They're all right, but it's kind of obvious which faction your second character is as you work to uncover that faction.

The dice rolling is interesting. In some placements, the number of pips don't matter, but it does for others. When collecting resources, it's interesting because if your new worker brings the total value to 1-4, then you get a resource, hooray. If the value is 5-8, then you get extra resources. Even better! But if the value is now 9+, you get those extra resources, but you also get dinged. So you really want to take advantage of resource collecting if you can keep the number at 5-8. Some character cards give you a bonus if you replace another worker of a higher/lower value. Mostly, if you replace a worker with your own, it doesn't matter what the numbers are.

The "Monopoly" rule is interesting when you roll doubles. It makes things more swingy as you can put both (or more) workers out in a turn, so you can't necessarily rely on someone placing only one at a time. Not really a bad thing. I know people call this a hybrid of Euro and Ameritrash. The randomness keeps you from predicting what will exactly happen, but I doubt a single roll will tilt the game decidedly in favor of the underdog.

Like I said, I'd play it again. I'm not sure that I'll own it, but that could change if my friend moves away or something.
A man has no signature

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 01:03:25 pm »

Thanks Kuildeous! That's the sort of review I was looking for. I will see if any of my friends buy it and try it out, but not really go out of my way for it. It did seem like a neat mix of randomness with Euro strategy, which I like in theory, but have never tried in practice.

eliegel34

• Golem
  • Respect: +146
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 01:21:29 pm »

I've only played once, but liked it.  I think its pretty accessible for a worker placement game. I think it really only takes one play to understand what you are doing real well.

I think the luck factors do make the game more fun and less predictable.  They keep each game different. I think the some of the strategy in it is pretty subtle, like when to pull your workers, attempting to use the same spot twice to get your own workers back and that kind of stuff. The character cards definitely increase the replay value, and add some strategy. 

I also think it would be pretty easy for someone who didn't play the best to get lucky and win.  If that bothers you, I'd stay away from this. I'm kind of a sucker for dystopian future themes.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.