Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: 2014 Kingdom Design Challenge: Rules and Entry Form  (Read 39532 times)

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 Kingdom Design Challenge: Rules and Entry Form
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2014, 08:13:56 am »
+1

Hmm i don't think anyone of the finalist can do specific preparations for the finals based on the information in this thread as long as it doesn't get too specific.
I mean less than 10% of the kingdoms that were entered will be played in the finals.
So if you know something like Scout has been entered 5 times or 65% of the kingdoms has some alternative VP card in it that's nothing that gives you an advantage for the finals.

So i think questions like how many Kingdoms don't include any village, or don't include any form of trashing are safe to answer here.

I think I am going to have to disagree.

you might be right Markowkette but the issue is that i can't really say for sure. without a pretty high level of confidence that what i say won't influence the play in the finals i think it is better off to err on the side of caution. that is all information we can (and will) gladly share after the fact though.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2014, 12:52:06 pm »
+1

Hmm i don't think anyone of the finalist can do specific preparations for the finals based on the information in this thread as long as it doesn't get too specific.
I mean less than 10% of the kingdoms that were entered will be played in the finals.
So if you know something like Scout has been entered 5 times or 65% of the kingdoms has some alternative VP card in it that's nothing that gives you an advantage for the finals.

So i think questions like how many Kingdoms don't include any village, or don't include any form of trashing are safe to answer here.

I think I am going to have to disagree.

Same here.  Just with those two pieces of information, Celestial Chameleon would be able to empty the supply of Kingdoms in 2 matches.  Including all the non finalists.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2014, 12:52:52 pm »
+4

Also:  I just realized that this content is actually a game of Kingdom Builder.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2014, 07:29:29 pm »
+9

Quick Update: Playtesting is complete and the judges have deliberated. There will be 8 Finalists (8 kingdoms, each submitted by a different person). If the GokoDom championship match goes longer than 8 games, we will dip into the Honorable Mentions. If the match ends in fewer than 8 games, all 8 Finalists will still be eligible to be voted upon.

When the finalists are posted, would people be interested in seeing the judges' test games linked in addition to the GokoDom medal matches?

greatexpectations is cleaning up our spreadsheet, and hopefully we will be able to post our comments for all the kingdoms we playtested.

Elestan

• Witch
  • Respect: +429
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2014, 02:21:04 am »
+1

There will be 8 Finalists (8 kingdoms, each submitted by a different person).
Did it just happen to turn out that the top eight were all from different people, or were finalists limited to one per person?

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2014, 11:13:19 am »

When the finalist's are revealed, may we also learn the usernames of their creators (without disclosing the association between kingdoms and people, to avoid names influencing the vote)?

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2014, 11:30:52 am »

When the finalist's are revealed, may we also learn the usernames of their creators (without disclosing the association between kingdoms and people, to avoid names influencing the vote)?

We could see the usernames after the vote.

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2014, 09:36:09 pm »
+1

There will be 8 Finalists (8 kingdoms, each submitted by a different person).
Did it just happen to turn out that the top eight were all from different people, or were finalists limited to one per person?

We tried to have each final kingdom come from a different person. It was one of several criteria we used while putting together the final list of kingdoms after playtesting, not a hard and fast requirement. I'll be more explicit about the judging process in the next couple of days.

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2014, 09:38:36 pm »
+1

Yes.

Elestan

• Witch
  • Respect: +429
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2014, 02:18:11 am »
+1

We tried to have each final kingdom come from a different person. It was one of several criteria we used while putting together the final list of kingdoms after playtesting, not a hard and fast requirement. I'll be more explicit about the judging process in the next couple of days.

Just MHO, but I'd rather not see good (or great!) kingdoms disqualified just because they came from the same designer.  Could the sets that were only cut because of this rule still be eligible for the final vote, even if they won't be used in the final match?

Also, has the form of the final vote been decided?  After all, we're used to using some pretty sophisticated matching and ranking algorithms to determine the best player.  A one-round, one-vote selection process for the best Kingdom seems too crude and simple for this crowd.  :-)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 02:19:20 am by Elestan »

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2014, 07:25:02 am »
+1

Just MHO, but I'd rather not see good (or great!) kingdoms disqualified just because they came from the same designer.  Could the sets that were only cut because of this rule still be eligible for the final vote, even if they won't be used in the final match?

There were no sets cut only because of the desire to have a variety of people. That is what I mean when I say it was not a hard and fast requirement.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.