Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: 2014 Kingdom Design Challenge: Rules and Entry Form  (Read 39434 times)

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
2014 Kingdom Design Challenge: Rules and Entry Form
« on: February 04, 2014, 02:52:17 pm »
+20

The masses have cried out for a Kingdom Design Challenge, and who are we to deny the masses!

DominionStrategy.com and f.DS are proud to announce the 2014 Kingdom Design Challenge, the 3rd iteration to date, following the 2011 and 2012 contests.

The contest rules and entry form can be found below. All rules are subject to change by contest organizers as necessary. Feel free to discuss the contest or ask for clarifications on any rules!

1. Starting today (February 4) we will accept Kingdom submissions. Submissions close March 22, 2014, though we reserve the right to adjust that date as necessary to align with the GokoDom tournament. Information about your submission might be made public after the conclusion of the competition.
2. Kingdom is defined as a set of 10 Dominion cards to be used in a game of the Grand Final. Beyond the following conditions, your Kingdom is no other constraint.
  • If your setup includes Young Witch, please choose a Bane card.
  • Please also specify whether Colonies / Platinum or Shelters are included. If your kingdom includes Colonies / Platinum then your Kingdom should include at least one Prosperity Kingdom card. If your kingdom includes Shelters then it should include at least one Dark Ages Kingdom card.
  • Your kingdom may have any number of Alchemy cards.

3. Kingdoms may include any published Dominion card including the Promotional Cards and the recently released Guilds expansion. Submissions with fan-made cards will automatically be rejected. Please ensure that you have spelled your submissions correctly and that you are not confusing two separate Kingdom cards.
4. Kingdoms can be submitted at the form located here or below. We require entrants to be registered on the forum. Submissions from unregistered entrants will not be considered. If you participate, please attempt to access your account regularly or edit your your account settings to forward messages to your email address. We need a reliable way to contact you with any questions or issues that may arise.
5. Each entrant may submit up to 10 kingdoms. If you submit more than 10 kingdoms then only the first 10 kingdoms will be considered. Only submit your best!
6. We will select at least seven Kingdoms which are expected to be used for the GokoDom III Finals. Due to potential Goko card ownership issues with the finalists we can't guarantee that all finalist Kingdoms will be played during the finals. However, if a kingdom is not used for the finals it will still be on the final ballot for community voting. We will not announce the Kingdoms until the final begins.
7. After the final, voters will be able to vote for their favorite of the seven (or more) Kingdoms. That poll will close one week from the end of the Grand Final; at that point, whoever submitted the winning Kingdom will also receive a physical copy of any Dominion expansion.
8. You may submit Kingdoms with any intent, and the voters can select whichever Kingdom they like for any reason. That being said, in selecting the final Kingdoms, judges will look for Kingdoms that can promote future discussion. The ideal Kingdom will encourage diverse strategies and tactics, have no clear dominant approach, and emphasize skill over luck. The finalists from the previous KDC can be found here.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 03:49:16 pm by theory »
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: 2014 Kingdom Design Challenge: Rules and Entry Form
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 01:07:36 pm »
+1

I think the form didn't work on Opera, but just in case I have submitted the same kingdom three times: please don't count that as three submissions.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 03:16:36 pm »

I think the form didn't work on Opera, but just in case I have submitted the same kingdom three times: please don't count that as three submissions.

no worries, we won't count it against you. mistakes happen. if you or anyone else has any issues you can always leave a note in the comment field as well. and if we had any questions or problems we can always shoot you a PM too.

manthos88

• Bishop
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 08:14:06 pm »
+1

I think i submitted my Kingdom twice by mistake. If so, please make it count as 1 submission. It was all done by mistake. My apologies.
Just give me a mega-turn engine and take my soul...

MarkowKette

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +217
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 07:09:36 pm »

I submitted a kingdom and now after some more testplay i want to change one or maybe two cards for some balance fine-tuning.
Is there a way to remove a submission, or do i just submit the "better version" aswell as a second kingdom?

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 07:14:03 pm »
+1

I submitted a kingdom and now after some more testplay i want to change one or maybe two cards for some balance fine-tuning.
Is there a way to remove a submission, or do i just submit the "better version" aswell as a second kingdom?

Probably, submit again and make a note in the description what kingdom you are replacing.

It is a good idea to test the kingdoms before submitting - there's no rush to submit, either. The deadline is next month.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 09:32:30 pm »

looks like there are 35 submissions so far. there is only about a month left to submit so keep em coming!

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 04:23:30 pm »
+2

looks like there are 35 submissions so far. there is only about a month left to submit so keep em coming!

Come on F.DS brain trust.  Let's get some more in.  They don't have to all be intricate 10 kingdom card engines.  In fact they don't even have to be engines.  I seem to recall (or I'm just pulling this one out of my ***) from one of the finalists in a past year said that the constant complexity of the kingdoms was a bit much and that sometimes you just want to play a more big money game.  Well you guys can submit BM games too!  There are plenty of Kingdom cards out there that really have their niche in BM games and I'd love to see some kingdoms utilize that design space.  Let's keep them coming!
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 05:05:19 pm »
+4

Come on F.DS brain trust.  Let's get some more in.  They don't have to all be intricate 10 kingdom card engines.  In fact they don't even have to be engines.  I seem to recall (or I'm just pulling this one out of my ***) from one of the finalists in a past year said that the constant complexity of the kingdoms was a bit much and that sometimes you just want to play a more big money game.  Well you guys can submit BM games too!  There are plenty of Kingdom cards out there that really have their niche in BM games and I'd love to see some kingdoms utilize that design space.  Let's keep them coming!

I was the one who complained a bit, and I was probably just being a sore loser. My main issue was that a few boards felt similar (a couple draw-to-X, maybe a couple Goons boards). There's also a tendency to create a board that has "everything" for an engine (i.e. draw, actions, buy, etc.). The most fun engine boards are the ones where some of those pieces are hard to come by, but you make it work anyway.

It's also very hard to design a board with a high level of card interaction that also has nontrivial "strategic" decisions. People seem to design these boards by thinking about card interactions, and the result is that one or two interactions tends to dominate the strategy space.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 05:38:13 pm by Mic Qsenoch »

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 05:43:46 pm »
+1

I was the one who complained a bit, and I was probably just being a sore loser. My main issue was that a few boards felt similar (a couple draw-to-X, maybe a couple Goons boards). There's also a tendency to create a board that has "everything" for an engine (i.e. draw, actions, buy, etc.). The most fun engine boards are the ones where some of those pieces are hard to come by, but you make it work anyway.

It's also very hard to design a board with a high level of card interaction that also has nontrivial "strategic" decisions. People seem to design these boards by thinking about card interactions, and the result is that one or two interactions tends to dominate the strategy space.

A good way I find to think about it is to include parallel strategies that are both similar in strength, but interesting in their own way. Perhaps one is harder to pull off, but is stronger once set-up.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 08:07:42 pm »

There's also a tendency to create a board that has "everything" for an engine (i.e. draw, actions, buy, etc.). The most fun engine boards are the ones where some of those pieces are hard to come by, but you make it work anyway.

unfortunately, that is how many of the submissions were designed, and in the end that limits our options in choosing finalists. popular and powerful cards were included in tons of sets, and it really makes things challenging for us. if i had to guess there would probably be a strong correlation between the Qvist rankings and the submission totals. along those lines, there are a handful of cards which already appear quite a few times for the 2014 contest. one card has already made 7 appearances in 35 submissions.

A good way I find to think about it is to include parallel strategies that are both similar in strength, but interesting in their own way. Perhaps one is harder to pull off, but is stronger once set-up.

i would agree, though i think that this is far more difficult than many people realize. in reviewing sets last year i often had the impression that cards were kind of just tacked on as an afterthought to create that parallel strategy. this is where playtesting a couple of times (if possible) might come in handy for some people, to help ensure that the alternate strategies are indeed similar in strength.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 11:18:28 am »

Can you confirm if my last kingdom submission went through? I submitted it today through the form embedded to this thread, but the form just went blank after submitting. No confirmation message or anything.

I should have 4 kingdoms submitted in total under the name "markusin".

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 11:35:55 am »

I submitted two under "soulnet goko" (my Goko username) instead of "soulnet" (my forum username). Sorry for the stupidity. Should I resubmit?

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 01:43:41 pm »

Can you confirm if my last kingdom submission went through? I submitted it today through the form embedded to this thread, but the form just went blank after submitting. No confirmation message or anything.

i don't see any entries from you today. i have 3 entries from you total with the last one dated 2/16. the form seems to be working fine, as other submissions have been received today. try it again i guess?

I submitted two under "soulnet goko" (my Goko username) instead of "soulnet" (my forum username). Sorry for the stupidity. Should I resubmit?

nah you are fine, shouldn't be a problem.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 02:04:41 pm »

i don't see any entries from you today. i have 3 entries from you total with the last one dated 2/16. the form seems to be working fine, as other submissions have been received today. try it again i guess?
That's fine. In fact, I'm happy about that because there were changes I wanted to make in the comments section. I'm also glad to hear that my other 3 submissions were received.

I'll try again later.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 04:16:33 pm »
+2

So, I don't see this addressed anywhere but: what is the position on publicly discussing our submissions (now, after contest closes, finalists announced... any of those times)?

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 04:59:11 pm »
+1

So, I don't see this addressed anywhere but: what is the position on publicly discussing our submissions (now, after contest closes, finalists announced... any of those times)?

good catch. as far as discussion, i will defer as best as possible to last year's iteration. i would ask that public discussion be limited until the finalists are announced, especially because the sets might be used for GokoDom on some level. if anyone can provide compelling reasons otherwise i am open to hearing it, but i see too much potential for discussion to influence other submitters or the judges.

in a mostly unrelated note, i am open to the idea of keeping a public tally of submission totals in this thread (eg greatexpectations has 4 submissions so far, theory has 2, etc) if there is interest out there. it could serve as a verification for submitters that kingdoms were received as well as a way to publicly keep track of how many submissions we have so far.

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 05:57:53 pm »

"No discussion" should not deter submitting kingdoms that were reported in game reports or help throughout the year, or variants on them, though.

If I recall, several of the submissions last year were based on those threads.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2014, 07:38:37 pm »

only a couple more days left for submissions!

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2014, 09:10:26 pm »
+1

only a couple more days left for submissions!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :D

Let's see some awesome submissions guys.  This is gonna be sweet!

What's the number at right now?
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2014, 09:32:05 pm »

high 80's at the moment! we should be able to hit 100 by the end, but i think that is still less than half of what we had last year.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2014, 12:34:30 am »
+1

high 80's at the moment! we should be able to hit 100 by the end, but i think that is still less than half of what we had last year.

I am restraining myself to only send what I actually consider really good.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2014, 12:57:26 pm »

I am restraining myself to only send what I actually consider really good.

Considering you have 10 submissions, put in some that you consider only mildly interesting. I doubt anyone will come up with 10 really interesting, diverse and hard to figure out kingdoms.

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2014, 01:11:31 pm »

I would be really sad if there were only 100 submissions of the form: 10 from 10 people.  :(

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2014, 07:03:42 pm »
+1

Considering you have 10 submissions, put in some that you consider only mildly interesting. I doubt anyone will come up with 10 really interesting, diverse and hard to figure out kingdoms.

I don't want to do that, it just means more unnecessary work to the judges. I would like people to still want to volunteer to run this kind of thing, and if we make it easy on them by only submitting things that we think are worth looking at, that maximizes the probability of that happening.

I think there are people that have the time and skill to make now or accumulate over the past year 10 really interesting kingdoms, but I am not one of them.

In any case, I may submit one more, I played an interesting combination recently, but it needs some polishing to make it better.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 21 queries.