Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What happened here?  (Read 2215 times)

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
What happened here?
« on: February 04, 2014, 07:05:18 am »
+1

Code: [Select]
Secret Chamber, Squire, Smugglers, Workshop, Farming Village, Silk Road, Throne Room, Counterfeit, Embassy, Merchant Ship
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140204/log.516d31dbe4b082c74d7b3391.1391514341525.txt

I don't really know what went wrong in this game. In the beginning it seemed like I had more of everything good than he did, but he was able to spike a number of Provinces at times that really surprised me, given his deck. At the end I didn't have enough money to do anything, which I assume was related to having turned up with more Counterfeits than I've ever had in a single deck (silly Smugglers!), but I don't know what I needed to do to time things out better.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
Re: What happened here?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 07:58:13 am »
+4

One of the most important things in dominion is to have a plan. Preferably a good plan, but usually any plan is better then no plan.
After that, choose actions that are consistent with your plan.
Looking at this board, a couple of plans are worth considering. I think doing a clean execution of either one of these would have improved your play here:
  • Silk Roads. Use workshop and/or smugglers to get lots of green cards and get them fast. Possibly Squire can help out a bit
  • Embassy-BigMoney, supported by a Counterfeit. Buy Provinces.
  • Build an Engine. Use Farming Village, Throne Room, Embassy to draw lots of cards.
Comments on these plans:
  • Silk Roads looks like a decent option. Workshop isn't the best enabler, but not the worst either. Smugglers is also good here.
  • Embassy-BM looks pretty decent too. Embassy is a very good card for BigMoney. Keep it simple though, cards that aren't yellow are bad for your deck.
  • The engine looks pretty bad here. Embassy doesn't actually draw much, you can't get rid of estates and you have nothing to attack your opponent. (Attacks are good for engines because you can play them over and over again). Also copper trashing is slow and expensive.

I think I'd go for the Embassy-BM. Against a Silk Roads player, I'd deviate a bit and get some silk roads as well just to deny points. I don't see a 3rd pile (after Silk Roads & Estates) that goes fast enough to really scare me. I could be wrong on this one though.
Join the Dominion League!

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 09:59:33 am »

Engine does have alt VP to go for, though, and when there's a Throne Room, there's a way...

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 10:28:58 am »

SR is weak alt VP for an engine though as it requires a large amount of green become worth points.  With no trashing this engine becomes most more fragile to greening.  I might consider opening Squire/Silver because Silver is just so good for Embassy/BM and the extra gains can be useful.  I agree with Stef though, Embassy BM is going to be very hard to beat.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

JOG

• Baron
  • Respect: +52
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 11:20:48 am »

If going for SR, I would try to run squires as 3rd pile (squires, SR, and estates).  Tried it against the bots a few times and got 3 piles (54 points if you get a duchy too) in around 18 turns.  Not sure how that compares to other 2 options though.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 01:28:22 pm »
+5

I think I'd go for the Embassy-BM.

Getting old?

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 11:24:51 pm »

It's worth noting that counterfeit is very good for terminal draw big money.  I mean, it's good for engines too, but it gives money players many advantages: most obviously you can clear out some copper and you get a buy.  It allows you to cash in your golds later on, and it gives you something to do with five before it's time for duchies.  Probably embassy is the best way to make use of counterfeit in a BM context, too. 
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 20 queries.