Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Rebuild+?  (Read 1281 times)

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
Rebuild+?
« on: February 03, 2014, 03:57:07 am »
+1

I don't deny that pure Rebuild mirrors can be tedious luckfests, but I'm far from convinced that that's what you always get when Rebuild is on the board. 

Code: [Select]
Fool's Gold, Island, Salvager, Haggler, Harvest, Junk Dealer, Laboratory, Market, Minion, Rebuild
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140202/log.506872f90cf2795d403d3f0a.1391373230437.txt

Rebuild is fast, but doesn't end the game with all that many points, and struggles if the opponent can get a few Provinces the honest way.  Fool's Gold is good at buying Provinces, but lacks staying power in long games.  With the excellent Fool's Gold enabler, Salvager, this seems like too good an opportunity to miss.

(If you also think that FG/Salvager usually degenerates into a tedious luckfest I don't know what to say, except possibly that two wrongs might make a right?)

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
Re: Rebuild+?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 06:58:20 am »
+2

I don't deny that pure Rebuild mirrors can be tedious luckfests, but I'm far from convinced that that's what you always get when Rebuild is on the board. 
Rebuild is fast, but doesn't end the game with all that many points, and struggles if the opponent can get a few Provinces the honest way.  Fool's Gold is good at buying Provinces, but lacks staying power in long games.  With the excellent Fool's Gold enabler, Salvager, this seems like too good an opportunity to miss.

(If you also think that FG/Salvager usually degenerates into a tedious luckfest I don't know what to say, except possibly that two wrongs might make a right?)

I like your opening of Salvager/Fool's Gold. But on turn 5, it looks like you change your plan. I think you should see it through and buy a Junk Dealer in stead of Rebuild.
After that, probably second junk dealer into laboratories and at some point a market. (no early province)
You don't need more then 5-6 Fool's Golds here, but I think you could get to playing them all every turn.
Maybe you can add Haggler but that depends on your draws, and mainly on the question what kind of rebuild your opponent is playing by then.
(remodel many duchies into many provinces, or trash province-for-province to end it asap)

Fool's gold has a huge profit-for-cost ratio, so if you play it in an engine you can afford to (=should) trash down heavily at the start.
Quite similar to Market Square in an engine.
Join the Dominion League!

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
Re: Rebuild+?
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 12:22:31 pm »

I like your opening of Salvager/Fool's Gold. But on turn 5, it looks like you change your plan. I think you should see it through and buy a Junk Dealer in stead of Rebuild.

At that point I'm worried that the game is going to go too quickly.  I've conceived of what I'm playing as Rebuild + Province sniping rather than something with explosive engine potential, so I'm keen to contest Duchies.  As it turns out the game lasts a good length (and only ends with some Province trashing, although I realised at the time that the final Rebuild could have been Duchy -> Province), so the engine probably does have a good shot, especially with Island to bolster your score once the Duchies have run out.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.