Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31  All

Author Topic: Song of the day  (Read 200005 times)

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
Song of the day
« on: February 02, 2014, 03:48:34 am »
+4

Some basic guidelines:

-One song per person per day
-All genres and languages welcome
-Discussion and mature debate about specific artists, genres, or anything else music related is encouraged
-Have some sort of a reason for posting a specific song. For example: "I woke up with this stuck in my head", "The theme from Golden Girls is a masterpiece of American music. Here it is looped for 24 hours. Make sure you listen to the whole thing", or "This Michael Buble song was playing in the supermarket today so I decided to spontaneously reenact the music video. It didn't work so well".

I think that's about all that needs to be said. Let's hear some music!
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Re: Song of the day
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 10:12:15 am »

This is a song from the most recent Qosta album. It's dark, but bluesy. I personally love it, but mixed reception is expected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhaIb30mJiQ

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 11:51:46 am »

This is a song from the most recent Qosta album. It's dark, but bluesy. I personally love it, but mixed reception is expected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhaIb30mJiQ
I like the singer's voice, but that background guitar makes it so spooky.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 12:00:32 pm »
+1

Song of the Day works too!

Phoenix - 1901
One of my all-time favorite bands. The singers are French, but the lyrics are in English. Indie Rock, so be prepared for some light rock mixed with synths.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 12:38:43 pm »

"Hallowed Be thy Name", cuz there was a Iron Maiden Tribute Band playing at a local club, and as I, while I do like IM, only know a few songs, so this was given to me as a "homework", so am playing it over and over today :P

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 12:39:34 pm »

@Arche - "not available in your country".

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 12:43:08 pm »

Oh. I guess THAT'S what "US Version" means.

A generic lyric video may work: http://m.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 12:44:34 pm by Archetype »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 01:44:21 pm »

Posting last Friday's song now:

We played this at our school's light music concert last Friday, it was amazing. The Savonlinnasali concert hall was full of people and the audience formed a wall of death at the start of the song! It did take a while after all of those 16th note double kick beats before I was recovered enough to go to the mosh pit myself during the performances of other bands, though, and I managed to break a nylon tip from my drumstick, but it was totally worth it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 02:13:48 pm »

Posting last Friday's song now:

We played this at our school's light music concert last Friday, it was amazing. The Savonlinnasali concert hall was full of people and the audience formed a wall of death at the start of the song! It did take a while after all of those 16th note double kick beats before I was recovered enough to go to the mosh pit myself during the performances of other bands, though, and I managed to break a nylon tip from my drumstick, but it was totally worth it.

Yes! The world needs more walls of death.

EDIT: Dude, nylon tips? Seriously?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 02:15:29 pm by AndrewisFTTW »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 03:50:45 pm »

Why not? I break wooden tips in a couple of days even if I'm just practicing or playing for fun.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 04:11:51 pm »

Why not? I break wooden tips in a couple of days even if I'm just practicing or playing for fun.

I don't play metal but sometimes I play loud as shit and I haven't broken a stick in years. First of all, if you're playing with 7As, I can understand you breaking sticks a lot. Chances are they're way too thin for you. 5As are usually a better thickness for most people. I personally use Vic Firth HD4s (barrel tip), Vic Firth Stanton Moores (big teardrop tip), and Vic Firth Peter Erskine Ride Sticks (for jazz, small teardrop tip). The tips wear out after a few months, which is a decent amount of time, and that's when I usually replace the sticks for lack of stick definition on a ride cymbal.

If you're playing metal, chances are you don't care about stick definition and thus the tip doesn't really matter. I don't even know how you wear down a tip without wearing down the stick first. Is this what's happening?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 04:32:11 pm »

I don't play metal but sometimes I play loud as shit and I haven't broken a stick in years. First of all, if you're playing with 7As, I can understand you breaking sticks a lot. Chances are they're way too thin for you. 5As are usually a better thickness for most people. I personally use Vic Firth HD4s (barrel tip), Vic Firth Stanton Moores (big teardrop tip), and Vic Firth Peter Erskine Ride Sticks (for jazz, small teardrop tip). The tips wear out after a few months, which is a decent amount of time, and that's when I usually replace the sticks for lack of stick definition on a ride cymbal.

If you're playing metal, chances are you don't care about stick definition and thus the tip doesn't really matter. I don't even know how you wear down a tip without wearing down the stick first. Is this what's happening?
I used to play with Vic Firth NOVA 7As, and I'm not completely sure what was happening, but oftentimes I would find half of the tip missing after playing a song, and this happened before the stick wore down too much. Then again, often the stick never wore down too much because they had a tendency to split in two before that, so it might be that they were just as high quality as you would expect for the price.

These days I'm using the Mike Portnoy signature sticks (which are a bit bigger than standard 7A, but closer to 7A than 5A) and I usually replace them with new ones after 4-6 months.

I'm playing mostly metal, but also funk and sometimes rock, punk or fusion. I have found the nylon tips good enough for everything so far.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 04:33:37 pm by Awaclus »

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 04:42:30 pm »

I used to play with Vic Firth NOVA 7As, and I'm not completely sure what was happening, but oftentimes I would find half of the tip missing after playing a song, and this happened before the stick wore down too much. Then again, often the stick never wore down too much because they had a tendency to split in two before that, so it might be that they were just as high quality as you would expect for the price.

These days I'm using the Mike Portnoy signature sticks (which are a bit bigger than standard 7A, but closer to 7A than 5A) and I usually replace them with new ones after 4-6 months.

I'm playing mostly metal, but also funk and sometimes rock, punk or fusion. I have found the nylon tips good enough for everything so far.

4-6 months is a good life for a stick. I would say try a stick that's a little thicker and never stop experimenting with different sticks. Almost every time I replace sticks, I try a new pair. The nylon tips that I've seen and played with have all been either thin teardrop or slightly thicker teardrop. For metal, punk, and anything loud I would say try a thicker stick with a bigger wooden tip for more power and volume. It might take a while to get used to but you might be used to it. I've been playing for over 10 years and have just recently found a couple sticks that really work for me, and like I said I'm still experimenting.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 05:11:15 pm »

4-6 months is a good life for a stick. I would say try a stick that's a little thicker and never stop experimenting with different sticks. Almost every time I replace sticks, I try a new pair. The nylon tips that I've seen and played with have all been either thin teardrop or slightly thicker teardrop. For metal, punk, and anything loud I would say try a thicker stick with a bigger wooden tip for more power and volume. It might take a while to get used to but you might be used to it. I've been playing for over 10 years and have just recently found a couple sticks that really work for me, and like I said I'm still experimenting.

I find my sticks last a while. I do use thiker sticks than 7A, but sticks breaking after every song sounds nuts. What are you playing? Death metal? :P I also play more often on electronic drums, which I guess is easier on the sticks.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, 05:17:40 pm »

"Hallowed Be thy Name", cuz there was a Iron Maiden Tribute Band playing at a local club, and as I, while I do like IM, only know a few songs, so this was given to me as a "homework", so am playing it over and over today :P

Goddamn that song rocks.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 05:24:02 pm »

I tried 5As a couple of years ago and they were way too unwieldy for me, and since my drums are a bit smaller than what most metal drummers have (10x7", 12x8", 14x12" and 16x14" toms), I've found regular 7As to be powerful enough and the Portnoy signatures are slightly bigger and still incredibly powerful for their size.

I find my sticks last a while. I do use thiker sticks than 7A, but sticks breaking after every song sounds nuts. What are you playing? Death metal? :P I also play more often on electronic drums, which I guess is easier on the sticks.
Oh, the sticks were typically usable for practice for something like two weeks to one month, it was just the tip that didn't last long, and that probably has to do with the fact that the Vic Firth NOVAs are something like 4€ a pair and not very high quality. 

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 05:55:00 pm »

Phoenix - 1901
One of my all-time favorite bands. The singers are French, but the lyrics are in English. Indie Rock, so be prepared for some light rock mixed with synths.
I was going to go see Phoenix in France while I was there, but the day of the concert they cancelled on us because the lead singer got sick :(  Not happy about that

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 06:26:02 pm »

Phoenix - 1901
I was going to go see Phoenix in France while I was there, but the day of the concert they cancelled on us because the lead singer got sick :(  Not happy about that
I completely forgot to ask how that went! Too bad it got cancelled. :( Did you get refunded?

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2014, 06:59:40 pm »

Oh. I guess THAT'S what "US Version" means.

A generic lyric video may work: http://m.

I play this one with a band I'm with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BJDNw7o6so
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 11:03:46 pm by AndrewisFTTW »

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2014, 10:38:00 pm »

Phoenix - 1901
I completely forgot to ask how that went! Too bad it got cancelled. :( Did you get refunded?
My friend has been working with the French people he gave money to, but being French, customer service isn't high priority... Therefore it's complicated.  I think the most recent news is they said they refunded it months ago, but he hasn't seen the money...

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2014, 01:07:32 pm »

One of the first Bad Brains songs from one of the first (if not the first) Bad Brains recording sessions. Nobody plays punk like this anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ms6Czbrvko

Sorry I'm computer illiterate but how did you guys embed youtube videos on here?

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2014, 08:05:03 pm »

Phoenix - 1901
My friend has been working with the French people he gave money to, but being French, customer service isn't high priority... Therefore it's complicated.  I think the most recent news is they said they refunded it months ago, but he hasn't seen the money...
Well, dang. Hopefully you guys get the money.

I play this one with a band I'm with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BJDNw7o6so
That whole album is amazing.

My friends and I are trying to rap to this song.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2014, 10:48:56 am »
+1

Sorry I'm computer illiterate but how did you guys embed youtube videos on here?
Leave the tags out and it does it automatically.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2014, 04:14:21 am »

mirrorthrone is a solo project from a guy named vladimir cochet, whom i pretty much consider to be the most genius musician i've ever heard of. he has 4 other projects similar to mirrorthrone, slightly different genres. mt is best described as a mixture between symphonic/black metal and classic

I've listened to this song pretty much every day during the last few weeks. it's so damn great. and these lyrics...

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2014, 01:00:56 pm »

My favorite Marley song.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31  All

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 21 queries.