Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Graystripe77's Fan Expansion v2.1  (Read 3810 times)

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
Graystripe77's Fan Expansion v2.1
« on: February 01, 2014, 03:39:41 pm »
+3

After extensive testing, then completely forgetting about it, then more ideas, then being lazy, I've expanded on my set of fan cards.

Completely tested cards:

Abandoned Village
Action-Reaction: $4
+1 Card
+2 Actions
--------------------
When a player gains a victory card, you may
set this aside from your hand. If you do, gain
a Silver, putting it into your hand. Return this
to your hand at the start of your next turn.

Bath House
Action: $4
+1 Action
+1 Buy
+$1
Trash 1 or 3 cards from your hand

Archer
+2 Cards
+1 Buy
+$1
Discard a card.

Missionary
Action-Reaction: $2
Trash 2 cards from your hand.
-------------------
When you would gain a card, you may discard
this from your hand. If you do, instead gain a
card costing exactly $1 more.

Scribe
Action: $2
+1 Card
+1 Action
Name a card costing $5 or less. While this is in
play, when you gain the named card, put it on
top of your deck.

Panacea
Action: $3p
+1 Card
+1 Action
Choose one: +1 Card; or +$1, +1 Buy; or trash
a card from your hand.

Partially tested cards:

Assassin
Action-Attack: $5
+$1
Put your deck into your discard pile.
Each other player gains a curse.

Canal
Action: $3
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may discard a card costing $4 or less that
is not a victory card. If you do, gain a copy of it.

Cathedral
Victory: $3+
2vp
-------------
When you buy this, you may overpay for it.
When you buy this, gain a card costing up to
$2 less than you paid for this.

Sneak
+2 Actions
+$1
Each other player reveals their hand. If and cards
costing $6 or more were revealed this way, +$1, +1 Buy

Prospector
Action: $5
Trash a card from your hand. Choose one: +$2; or draw
until you have 5 cards in hand.

Untested Cards:

Tailor
+2 Cards
When you gain or play this, you may shuffle a card
from your discard pile into your deck.

Untitled1
Action-Attack-Reaction: $5
Gain a coin token.
You may pay a coin token. If you do, each other player
gains a curse.
--------------------
When another player plays an attack card, you may discard
this. If you do, take 2 coin tokens.

Old Archives
Action-Duration: $2
+1 Action
Set aside the top 4 cards of your deck.
--------------------
At the start of your next turn, return the set aside cards
to your hand, then discard 4 cards, then trash this card.

About the cards:

Abandoned Village: I wanted a village that was a reaction, and I wanted more cards that gain silver to be in Dominion. I decided to combine the ideas, making a village that can be used to generate money lategame, when your engine begins to stall out.

Bath House: Trash 1 or 3? Originally, the card said 'up to 3' but that was too lenient. A basic trasher that has been tweaked over time. Since often people like to trash 2 cards, the 1 or 3 mechanic makes this an interesting card to play.

Archer: I really, really, really like vanilla cards, and I knew there was still room for some in Dominion. Hence this card. The 'discard a card' was added after it was found to be too powerful for $4 but too weak for $5.

Missionary: Some of you might know this from the fan cards set contest. I wanted a weak trasher that could turn into a treasure later game, and after a while, I turned the 'treasure' part of it into a reaction.

Scribe: Well, not all $2 cards are amazing. This one stays because it has potential use in speeding up engine/combo decks.

Panacea: Another one of my cards that placed in the fan card set contest. I wanted versatility, but little complexity. Kind of has an intrigue-esque flavor to it.

Assassin: I wanted a curser that could be played often, but offered little benefit to the person playing it. It's fairly strong in engine decks, hurting the other players and marginally accelerating your own deck.

Canal: My friend's creation, this card can sacrifice being able to play something from your hand on the current turn, for a later game benefit.

Cathedral: Designed before Guilds came out. I wanted a new mechanic to use in a few cards for the set. This is the only one that has stuck

Sneak: Designed to be slightly more powerful in 3-4 player games, it's a weak +Action card that can act as a cheap festival lategame.

Prospector: This card was designed to counter Assassin, and functions fairly nicely as a trasher.

Tailor: A recent idea. No clue how it should work.

Untitled1: A recent idea, inspired by guilds.

Old Archives: A one-shot better-than-Warehouse duration. Basically.

Please make suggestions, ask questions, and tell me what you think!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 02:15:25 pm by Graystripe77 »

pedroluchini

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +205
    • View Profile
Re: Graystripe77's Fan Expansion v2.1
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 07:12:07 pm »

Love these! They feel very different without being excessively wordy or complex.

I'm particularly intrigued by Missionary's reaction. It looks like a very versatile ability.

Out of curiosity: Is there a reason why Old Archives does this weird "set aside" thing, rather than a straight "+4 cards, discard 4 cards"?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 12:48:06 am »

To your credit, the cards in your "Completely Tested" section look well-balanced (except Abandoned Village). I'm not in love with most of these cards just because they're a bit too vanilla for my taste, but you indicate in your comments that you love vanilla cards, so it's understandable.

Completely Tested

Abandoned Village
+1 Card
+2 Actions
--------------------
When a player gains a victory card, you may set this aside from your hand. If you do, gain a Silver, putting it into your hand. Return this to your hand at the start of your next turn.

I wanted a village that was a reaction, and I wanted more cards that gain silver to be in Dominion. I decided to combine the ideas, making a village that can be used to generate money lategame, when your engine begins to stall out.

I guess "gain a Silver into hand" is probably sufficiently different from Beggar's reaction. And of course it reacts to a different trigger. The fact that you also effectively keep your Abandoned Village in hand makes it quite powerful. I think maybe the fact that this reacts to any Victory card gain might be too much. It's basically [+1 Card; +2 Actions; +$2; Gain a Silver] if any of your opponents gained a Victory card. That's incredibly good. Perhaps just gaining or topdecking the Silver might be better, but maybe those would be too weak. For what it's worth, you'd usually be drawing a topdecked Silver with the Abandoned Village itself, which may or may not be desirable depending on the circumstances.

Bath House
+1 Action
+1 Buy
+$1
Trash 1 or 3 cards from your hand.

Trash 1 or 3? Originally, the card said 'up to 3' but that was too lenient. A basic trasher that has been tweaked over time. Since often people like to trash 2 cards, the 1 or 3 mechanic makes this an interesting card to play.

Huh. I'm not super captivated by the "1 or 3" mechanic, but it is unique, I'll give you that. It seems like it would just be adding swinginess for the sake of it, though. If you have 3 cards you want to trash, yippee! If you only have 2 (and at least one card in hand you don't want to trash), then you can only trash one of them, grumble grumble. But without that mechanic this is basically a retread and either way it's very close to Forager.

Archer
+2 Cards
+1 Buy
+$1
Discard a card.

I really, really, really like vanilla cards, and I knew there was still room for some in Dominion. Hence this card. The 'discard a card' was added after it was found to be too powerful for $4 but too weak for $5.

Well, this is a very vanilla card. It doesn't really excite me, but then again it's a vanilla card. So, yeah. Looks balanced.

Missionary
-------------------
When you would gain a card, you may discard this from your hand. If you do, instead gain a card costing exactly $1 more.

Some of you might know this from the fan cards set contest. I wanted a weak trasher that could turn into a treasure later game, and after a while, I turned the 'treasure' part of it into a reaction.

I like the top half for a cheap Reaction like this. This reaction used to rub me the wrong way, but I think I'm warming up to it a bit. It's cool when you're using the reaction on a card you're gaining during your Action phase or on someone else's turn, but during your Buy phase it's an extremely convoluted Copper that you can't, for instance, use to buy a Province when there is no $7 card in the Supply.

Scribe
+1 Cards
+1 Action
Name a card costing $5 or less. While this is in play, when you gain the named card, put it on top of your deck.

Well, not all $2 cards are amazing. This one stays because it has potential use in speeding up engine/combo decks.

At first I thought this was too much of a retread of Watchtower and Royal Seal. It is close to Watchtower, but I think it'll probably play differently enough to be interesting. Why are you limiting it to cards costing up to $5? You don't usually want to topdeck Provinces and topdecking Golds seems fine. In the games where you have $7 cards and Platinums, that's just a cool combo. You often won't know whether you'll be able to afford a specific expensive card when you play the Scribe anyway.

Also, I don't think Dominion's rules even allow you to qualify "Name a card" with things like "costing up to $5". When you name a card, you're just saying one or more words that may not even be a real Dominion card. The information about whether you named a real card and whether it currently costs $5 or less may not be available.

Panacea
+1 Card
+1 Action
Choose one: +1 Card; or +$1, +1 Buy; or trash a card from your hand.

Another one of my cards that placed in the fan card set contest. I wanted versatility, but little complexity. Kind of has an intrigue-esque flavor to it.

Thinking about the different options, I can see the utility of the card. But when it comes right down to it, it's a collection of vanilla bonuses, which rarely excites me. Especially on a new Potion-cost card, I usually want something more unique. Again, probably fine at this cost.

Partially Tested

Assassin
+$1
Put your deck into your discard pile. Each other player gains a curse.

I wanted a curser that could be played often, but offered little benefit to the person playing it. It's fairly strong in engine decks, hurting the other players and marginally accelerating your own deck.

At first I thought this seemed really weak. It might be. But probably it's quite good as long as you're the only one playing it. If other players are playing it, putting your deck into your discard pile is much less desirable because you'll be shuffling in some fresh Curses along with the cards you're buying. And of course you usually won't be the sole player playing a cursing attack.

Canal
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may discard a card costing $4 or less that is not a victory card. If you do, gain a copy of it.

My friend's creation, this card can sacrifice being able to play something from your hand on the current turn, for a later game benefit.

I had a similar card at one point that didn't have a cost cap but also was a terminal. As a cantrip, this looks potentially very powerful for running out cheap piles very quickly. Especially since it can gain itself. But then again you're reducing your handsize as you copy cards. So probably it's fine.

Cathedral
Victory: $3+
2vp
--------------------
When you buy this, you may overpay for it. When you buy this, gain a card costing up to $2 less than you paid for this.

Designed before Guilds came out. I wanted a new mechanic to use in a few cards for the set. This is the only one that has stuck

This is basically just a card worth 2 VP that you can gain by paying an extra $2 whenever you buy a card costing at least $1. I guess it might be balanced. I can't say I find it that interesting. Stonemason just does this way better.

Sneak
+2 Actions
+$1
Each other player reveals their hand. If and cards costing $6 or more were revealed this way, +$1, +1 Buy

Designed to be slightly more powerful in 3-4 player games, it's a weak +Action card that can act as a cheap festival lategame.

The trigger is often automatically going to fire in the late game. I feel that if you're going to have a card that fires under certain circumstances (like Menagerie, Tournament, etc.), then you should have some control over how likely it is to fire. That way you have incentive to build your deck a certain way. Even with City you have some control over how much they upgrade and when. With Sneak it's all up to your opponents.

Tribute is different in that you're getting different bonuses depending on the other player's deck. Here it's the difference between a crappy effect and a good effect. I find that less compelling.

Prospector
Trash a card from your hand. Choose one: +$2; or draw until you have 5 cards in hand.

This card was designed to counter Assassin, and functions fairly nicely as a trasher.

I like this. At first it seemed a bit weak for $5, but I think +$2 option is probably a good $4/weak $5, and the draw up to 5 cards option likewise. Put the two together and you have a neat little versatile $5 card. Very nice!

Untested

Tailor
+2 Cards
When you gain or play this, you may shuffle a card from your discard pile into your deck.

A recent idea. No clue how it should work.

I think this would be fine as an online card. In real life, that's way too much shuffling.

Untitled1
Gain a coin token.
You may pay a coin token. If you do, each other player gains a curse.
--------------------
When another player plays an attack card, you may discard this. If you do, take 2 coin tokens.

A recent idea, inspired by guilds.

This seems almost certainly too weak. It's basically either [Take a Coin token] or [Each other player gains a Curse]. The first is weaker than Candlestick Maker. The second is weaker than Sea Hag. It's not that I'd never ever buy it at $5, but it compares really poorly to other Curse-giving cards at that price point. I do like how it helps your deck more after the Curses run out. Even if you buff the card, I'd keep that mechanic.

The fact that the Reaction is there boosts the card, but not enough to cost $5. It seems like an obvious reaction effect, and I was a bit surprised that Guilds didn't have such a Reaction. I doubt a Reaction that you have to discard is going to be used on a curser until the Curses are gone (unless you collide two of them and are happy to discard one). So I'm not sure this Action is a great fit for the Reaction.

Old Archives
+1 Action
--------------------
At the start of your next turn, return the set aside cards to your hand, then discard 4 cards, then trash this card.

A one-shot better-than-Warehouse duration. Basically.

Interesting idea. At $2, I might pick one up. If it's too weak, I recommend adding either +1 Card or +$1 to the "this turn" portion. Also, you shouldn't have a line between the "this turn" part and the "next turn" part. They are both things that happen because you played the card.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 01:04:56 am »

Scribe
+1 Cards
+1 Action
Name a card costing $5 or less. While this is in play, when you gain the named card, put it on top of your deck.

Also, I don't think Dominion's rules even allow you to qualify "Name a card" with things like "costing up to $5". When you name a card, you're just saying one or more words that may not even be a real Dominion card. The information about whether you named a real card and whether it currently costs $5 or less may not be available.

Nu. "Name a card. While this is in play, if you gain the named card and it costs less than $6…".

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 01:06:46 am »

Scribe
+1 Cards
+1 Action

Nu. "Name a card. While this is in play, if you gain the named card and it costs less than $6…".

Sure, you can definitely do it that way. It's a bit awkward, but it works. Again, though, I don't really see why the $5 limit is there in the first place.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 01:13:17 am »

Scribe
+1 Cards
+1 Action

Sure, you can definitely do it that way. It's a bit awkward, but it works. Again, though, I don't really see why the $5 limit is there in the first place.

It also has slightly different (and more interesting, I think) Quarry etc. interactions. I'm not expressing an opinion on whether the $5 cap is a good idea or not, myself.

(That said, I'm not convinced I agree with your premise. "Name a card" allows you to name things that aren't Dominion cards because all it says is "a card", which could be anything. "Name a card costing up to $5" naturally restricts itself to naming Dominion cards because those are the only ones that have costs denominated in those units.)

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 02:14:28 pm »

@LastFootnote , thanks for all the great input.

Old Archives:

Interesting idea. At $2, I might pick one up. If it's too weak, I recommend adding either +1 Card or +$1 to the "this turn" portion. Also, you shouldn't have a line between the "this turn" part and the "next turn" part. They are both things that happen because you played the card.

I suppose it's possible that it's too weak the turn it's played, I'll consider that when I playtest it.

Untitled1:

This seems almost certainly too weak. It's basically either [Take a Coin token] or [Each other player gains a Curse]. The first is weaker than Candlestick Maker. The second is weaker than Sea Hag. It's not that I'd never ever buy it at $5, but it compares really poorly to other Curse-giving cards at that price point. I do like how it helps your deck more after the Curses run out. Even if you buff the card, I'd keep that mechanic.

The fact that the Reaction is there boosts the card, but not enough to cost $5. It seems like an obvious reaction effect, and I was a bit surprised that Guilds didn't have such a Reaction. I doubt a Reaction that you have to discard is going to be used on a curser until the Curses are gone (unless you collide two of them and are happy to discard one). So I'm not sure this Action is a great fit for the Reaction.

Yeah, this is certainly too weak, I'm going to have to buff this. Maybe make it gain 2 coin tokens and Self-spy? I dunno.

Tailor:

I think this would be fine as an online card. In real life, that's way too much shuffling.

Well, maybe if it put the card on top of your deck. At first thought this might seem strong, but being terminal, it might work.

Prospector:

I like this. At first it seemed a bit weak for $5, but I think +$2 option is probably a good $4/weak $5, and the draw up to 5 cards option likewise. Put the two together and you have a neat little versatile $5 card. Very nice!

Thanks. Originally this gave +$1 and drew up to five, with no options. But I wanted a trasher that was more versatile than most. This card actually plays slightly similarly to JoaT, but it works in more types of strategies.

Sneak:

The trigger is often automatically going to fire in the late game. I feel that if you're going to have a card that fires under certain circumstances (like Menagerie, Tournament, etc.), then you should have some control over how likely it is to fire. That way you have incentive to build your deck a certain way. Even with City you have some control over how much they upgrade and when. With Sneak it's all up to your opponents.

Tribute is different in that you're getting different bonuses depending on the other player's deck. Here it's the difference between a crappy effect and a good effect. I find that less compelling.

Yeah, I've realized that this card is usually ignored until lategame, then everyone rushes it and it's too powerful. I still like the idea of it turning into a festival, so I'll try to make it so that you build your deck around whatever mechanic it uses.

Cathedral:

This is basically just a card worth 2 VP that you can gain by paying an extra $2 whenever you buy a card costing at least $1. I guess it might be balanced. I can't say I find it that interesting. Stonemason just does this way better.

Yeah, it is more boring than other cards in this set. I'll scrap it.

Canal:

I had a similar card at one point that didn't have a cost cap but also was a terminal. As a cantrip, this looks potentially very powerful for running out cheap piles very quickly. Especially since it can gain itself. But then again you're reducing your handsize as you copy cards. So probably it's fine.

Yeah, emptying cheap piles is what this card does best. I have to test this against Ironworks.

Assassin:

At first I thought this seemed really weak. It might be. But probably it's quite good as long as you're the only one playing it. If other players are playing it, putting your deck into your discard pile is much less desirable because you'll be shuffling in some fresh Curses along with the cards you're buying. And of course you usually won't be the sole player playing a cursing attack.

Yes, this is VERY powerful if you're the only one using it. It creates an interesting conundrum though: Do you give out more curses and shuffle the ones you just got right into your deck, or do you avoid the trouble. So far, the answer hasn't been as obvious as you might think.

Panacea:

Thinking about the different options, I can see the utility of the card. But when it comes right down to it, it's a collection of vanilla bonuses, which rarely excites me. Especially on a new Potion-cost card, I usually want something more unique. Again, probably fine at this cost.

Yeah it is lame, but it serves as utility, and does it's intended job pretty well. I should venture to be more creative with potion-cost cards.

Scribe:

At first I thought this was too much of a retread of Watchtower and Royal Seal. It is close to Watchtower, but I think it'll probably play differently enough to be interesting. Why are you limiting it to cards costing up to $5? You don't usually want to topdeck Provinces and topdecking Golds seems fine. In the games where you have $7 cards and Platinums, that's just a cool combo. You often won't know whether you'll be able to afford a specific expensive card when you play the Scribe anyway.

Yeah, the $5 limit was a bit arbitrary, and I suppose, has marginally weakened the card. I'll scrap the cost restriction and see what happens.

Missionary:

I like the top half for a cheap Reaction like this. This reaction used to rub me the wrong way, but I think I'm warming up to it a bit. It's cool when you're using the reaction on a card you're gaining during your Action phase or on someone else's turn, but during your Buy phase it's an extremely convoluted Copper that you can't, for instance, use to buy a Province when there is no $7 card in the Supply.

Thanks, that's how I intended this card to be perceived.

Archer:

Well, this is a very vanilla card. It doesn't really excite me, but then again it's a vanilla card. So, yeah. Looks balanced.

Yeah, vanilla, boring I'm aware. I've always loved plain cards as much as convoluted ones.

Bath House:

Huh. I'm not super captivated by the "1 or 3" mechanic, but it is unique, I'll give you that. It seems like it would just be adding swinginess for the sake of it, though. If you have 3 cards you want to trash, yippee! If you only have 2 (and at least one card in hand you don't want to trash), then you can only trash one of them, grumble grumble. But without that mechanic this is basically a retread and either way it's very close to Forager.

Yeah, the 1 or 3 is almost gimmicky, but at it's cost, the mechanic seems to work well. It actually plays fairly differently from Forager, due to not relying on the trash pile.

Abandoned Village:

I guess "gain a Silver into hand" is probably sufficiently different from Beggar's reaction. And of course it reacts to a different trigger. The fact that you also effectively keep your Abandoned Village in hand makes it quite powerful. I think maybe the fact that this reacts to any Victory card gain might be too much. It's basically [+1 Card; +2 Actions; +$2; Gain a Silver] if any of your opponents gained a Victory card. That's incredibly good. Perhaps just gaining or topdecking the Silver might be better, but maybe those would be too weak. For what it's worth, you'd usually be drawing a topdecked Silver with the Abandoned Village itself, which may or may not be desirable depending on the circumstances.

The initial reaction was based off of Horse Traders. Because of the timing of when people start buying victories (typically), this is not too powerful at all, rather it gives a slight boost once or twice during the endgame, which is worth paying an extra $1 for a village.

Thanks for all the input, this is great.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2127
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 07:46:57 am »

Abandoned Village
+1 Card
+2 Actions
--------------------
When a player gains a victory card, you may
set this aside from your hand. If you do, gain
a Silver, putting it into your hand. Return this
to your hand at the start of your next turn.

Seems like it's a bit too good late game. Have the Silvers gummed up engines when you've been playtesting? It seems like you'd mainly be reaping rewards in your last shuffle.

Bath House
+1 Action
+1 Buy
+$1
Trash 1 or 3 cards from your hand

Swingy but in an interesting way. It's probably a bit too strong though.

Archer
+2 Cards
+1 Buy
+$1
Discard a card.

Nice and simple. Reminds me of Oasis.

Missionary
-------------------
When you would gain a card, you may discard
this from your hand. If you do, instead gain a
card costing exactly $1 more.

I like how it can both trash Curses and block them. Maybe let the reaction do interesting tricks like gain to hand to make it more interesting than being a slightly worse copper.

Scribe
+1 Card
+1 Action
Name a card costing $5 or less. While this is in
play, when you gain the named card, put it on
top of your deck.

Probably in the same category as Pearl Diver and Vagrant, but it's nice enough. Its effect is innocuous enough to be a nice $4 Village, or you could also give it +buy so playing multiples allows you chances to use the effect more. Tracking may be tricky.

Panacea
+1 Card
+1 Action
Choose one: +1 Card; or +$1, +1 Buy; or trash
a card from your hand.

Assassin
+$1
Put your deck into your discard pile.
Each other player gains a curse.

Am I missing something? I guess there's the fact that you're going faster than your opponent, but compare this to Mountebank. It could be more interesting if every player had to chancellor.

Canal
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may discard a card costing $4 or less that
is not a victory card. If you do, gain a copy of it.

Probably not too strong but I'm interested. I'm not even sure you need to limit it to cards costing up to $4, since discarding a gold or $5 action that you could have played is hurting your turn quite a bit.

Sneak
+2 Actions
+$1
Each other player reveals their hand. If and cards
costing $6 or more were revealed this way, +$1, +1 Buy

A "catch up" card. Nice, but maybe too weak without the reveal - I don't think making the +buy unconditional will upset the balance of the card. I think it would be better thematically if you drew cards with the condition satisfied, as if you can start moving to enact your sneaky plan. I'd like to see how this pans out.

Prospector
Trash a card from your hand. Choose one: +$2; or draw
until you have 5 cards in hand.

Nice and simple, and good use of draw to X. Maybe a bit similar to junk dealer? Would this be too strong at $4?

Tailor
+2 Cards
When you gain or play this, you may shuffle a card
from your discard pile into your deck.

Probably too hard to resolve, but I like the idea. Maybe make it bottom decking?

Untitled1
Gain a coin token.
You may pay a coin token. If you do, each other player
gains a curse.
--------------------
When another player plays an attack card, you may discard
this. If you do, take 2 coin tokens.

I like what you're trying to do here, but it may be too weak.

Old Archives
+1 Action
--------------------
At the start of your next turn, return the set aside cards
to your hand, then discard 4 cards, then trash this card.

What's the rationale for this card being a oneshot? It's probably not too good to play in multiples, as ultimately you're just setting up a really good 5 card hand, and because of the "setting aside" you can't really get that much out of consecutive turns.

I like where you're heading.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 10:34:42 am »

I love Sneak for unconditionally making other players reveal their hands. This is an effect that I'd really like to have in official Dominion cards.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1679
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 07:38:00 pm »

It's generally hard to make good fan-made $2 cost cards, but you have a few here.  I like Scribe, Old Archives (maybe with a little boost), and Tailor (using NoMoreFun's suggestion for it so it'd work IRL).

I like archer but I think it seems a slightly powerful for $4 even with the discard a card. After drawing 2 cards, you're pretty likely to have a card in hand that would be no loss (or almost no loss) to discard.
I think it'd be better balanced if you put the discard a card before the +2 cards.  Or maybe something like this:

Archer
+1 Card
+1 Buy
+$1
Discard a card. If you do, +1 Card.

EDIT: Just realized this thread has been untouched for two months. Sometimes when I see fan-card posts that look likely to have some good ideas but I don't have time to think about them right then, I bookmark them and think about them later when I feel like it. Then I'll often add a card idea or a couple card ideas to my list of fan cards to playtest.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 07:48:05 pm by LibraryAdventurer »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 20 queries.