Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Stupid stalemate, how to play this?  (Read 2530 times)

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
Stupid stalemate, how to play this?
« on: January 29, 2014, 12:48:26 pm »
+1

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140129/log.50745d1a0cf28ed55d9d6498.1391017467117.txt

Code: [Select]
Chapel, Scrying Pool, Fishing Village, Island, Pirate Ship, Embassy, Ghost Ship, Margrave, Rebuild, Upgrade
We both trash down with Chapel and then there's a stalemate because of Pirate Ship. I don't care and buy treasure. This costs me the game. Any advice on how to play this? And please don't say this is a Rebuild game...  :P

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid stalemate, how to play this?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 12:58:20 pm »
+2

Once you're in the "stalemate" situation, buying/upgrading into Rebuilds and Duchies is definitely the right play.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 01:01:57 pm »

Once you're in the "stalemate" situation, buying/upgrading into Rebuilds and Duchies is definitely the right play.

So basically it's a rebuild game.

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 01:06:20 pm »
+1

Not necessarily, when your opponent goes for Rebuild straight away I expect the engine to win without going for Rebuild itself.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 01:10:47 pm »

Not necessarily, when your opponent goes for Rebuild straight away I expect the engine to win without going for Rebuild itself.
I'm curious as to whether or not you'd consider adding Pirate ship to the engine if your opponent went straight for Rebuild.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 01:23:06 pm »

Embassy to give them Silver and then Scrying Pool the Silver on top to Pirate Ship it!

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 01:53:29 pm »

Okay, I realised Rebuild later too, but how to get there? If I trash my treasure I can'te get to $5. Upgrade costs $5 too. In what order are the buys then? Rebuild and then trash all treasures? Upgrade and then trash all treasures? I'm totally lost here.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 03:29:50 pm »
+1

Your first 5 coin buy was a ghost ship and that's probably not great against a scrying opponent. You then bought upgrade and margrave, ok, but trashed a fishing village with your upgrade to get a pirate ship when you didn't have enough scrying pools to make it strong. To get the scrying pools you needed to play the margrave in priority to the ghost ship for the extra buys and this would have steered you away from vulnerable gold.

Anyway my focus would have been fishing villages as the main source of coin. With embassy and rebuild you can then set up a deck that can buy duchies and discard them rebuild to provinces, at the every worst. Good kingdom though as all the cards could come into play.

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 12:04:53 pm »
+1

Okay, I realised Rebuild later too, but how to get there? If I trash my treasure I can'te get to $5. Upgrade costs $5 too. In what order are the buys then? Rebuild and then trash all treasures? Upgrade and then trash all treasures? I'm totally lost here.

Okay, first of all I agree with DG about the Ghost Ship. In most situations its attack is stronger than that of Margrave, but against a Scrying Pool deck much less so, and, more importantly, you really want the +buy to grab SP+FV and double FV, so skip Ghost Ship altogether here. The economy from FV is immune to Pirate Ship and should be enough to get you to 5-6 reliably.

You certainly don't want to prematurely trash all your treasure, you just have to make sure that you're adaptable enough that once your opponent goes for Pirate Ship, you can make him regret that decision with little cost to yourself (i.e. if you have just 2 Coppers and a Potion that you can easily get rid of, that's much better than having invested heavily in Golds). Once he's going for Pirate Ships, the absolute worst thing you can do is keep buying Golds, that's doing nothing but helping him even further, so just go for double FV (even single if you don't have the buy) until you have enough of them to get the $5 cards.

You'll also notice that the more adaptable you are, the less attractive it is for him to go for Pirate Ship in the first place, and it's important to exploit this adaptability by maximally tempting him to go for it without it actually being good. So if you have zero treasures left in your deck, that's when you can add a Gold, because while it's technically vulnerable, it's not enough for him to go for Pirate Ship. Just make sure that you're adaptable enough that you can guarantee that his Pirate Ships never become better than a terminal $1. You can then get away with adding some more treasures towards the end because switching to Pirate Ships becomes less and less attractive the longer the game lasts.

I'm curious as to whether or not you'd consider adding Pirate ship to the engine if your opponent went straight for Rebuild.

I would certainly consider it and probably do it because between a Margrave attack every turn and trashing his few Silvers, the Rebuild player has just very little chance of winning.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 12:06:13 pm by SheCantSayNo »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.