Why would I want to watch a Dominion live stream?
Well, why do you want to watch Dominion videos? There are several reasons for this that are also shared by watching live streams:
- You want to learn how to play the game: so you understand the mechanics and how to play Dominion, but how do you play effectively? what kind of decisions are the things you should be thinking about when you approach a particular game of Dominion? Seeing a deck function and watching a game from a different perspective can provide a perspective that's very helpful for understanding basic strategy and familiarizing yourself with how kingdom cards can interact and be used in many unique ways.
- You want to get better at the game: usually the people streaming are very high-level players who have some experience communicating their strategy to their viewers. It's no secret that watching these players build their decks, while understanding the thought process that goes into it and the reasons for non-trivial tactical and strategic decisions will help you think about and understand lots of aspects of Dominion. The most extreme case of this is watching recorded tournament matches, when top-level players are completely focused on maximizing their chances of winning in a competitive environment, particularly high-profile tournaments like the DS Championships or GokoDom.
Does watching videos actually help you get better at Dominion? of course it does!
- You enjoy the commentary/they're fun to watch: there are several different styles of commentary that go along with each individual who is making videos. Yes, the commentary can often be insightful, but it can also be entertaining to watch at the same time.
- You feel like watching rather than playing: for some people, playing a game of Dominion can require intense focus and can be mentally (even emotionally) taxing. Sometimes you'd rather just let someone else take the driver's seat and see what they can do with it. Sometimes you're eating your dinner or doing something else with your hands and you'd like something else going on in the background to capture some of your attention.
These are reasons why you would want to watch recorded videos of Dominion games, and it's true that watching live streams of Dominion fits all of these reasons as well. In fact, it's possible to watch archived videos of live streams and get all these benefits. But what does live streaming offer that's so far unique to the world of Dominion videos?
- Tournament matches: people watch football matches live all the time and they love it, there's something about knowing that anything could still happen because the game literally hasn't been decided. You're supporting your favorite team, etc. Many people will be streaming their tournament matches, and for games with something actually on the line, watching a live stream of it is a way to be a part of the action.
- Interaction through chat: ever watch a video and see the player make a decision that you didn't understand? Sure, you can post a comment and they'll (hopefully) get back to you eventually, but with live streaming you can have instant feedback, either from the streamer or from other people in the chat, and you can have a dialog with them until everything is clear. For some people, chat is the main reason they show up to the streams, even if they hardly know anything about the game being played, just so they can be part of a type of "community".
- The stream can be tailored for the wants of those watching: ever watch a video and wish the player would explain things in more detail? Ever wish they would shut up and just play faster? Ever wish they would explain certain specific things in more detail, such as rationale for their decisions? In a video, you get what you get, but if people in the chat want to hear a specific type of commentary, all they have to do is ask the streamer and it will be done. Live streams can be a highly customized way of bringing Dominion to lots of different audiences.