Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 36  All

Author Topic: Dominion Live Streams  (Read 333508 times)

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
Dominion Live Streams
« on: January 29, 2014, 08:21:51 am »
+10

The purpose of this thread is to give people a way to get notified when someone is going to live-stream Dominion. If you're going to stream or you plan to stream at a certain point, post it here to let your adoring fans know about it so they can come watch!

Here's the Twitch Dominion Online page You can visit it or follow it to be notified whenever someone is streaming Dominion (you can only get E-mail/text notifications for individual channels, but this page is a quick reference for people who are streaming Dominion at any particular moment). Be advised that if you're streaming, you won't show up on there unless you set what you're playing to "Dominion Online".

Also, you may want to check out the Tournaments board and sub-boards -- usually they have their own specific threads like this one for people who stream their tournament matches.

If you want to get started streaming Dominion (or making your own videos), check out the resources thread for useful links on how to get started with the software that's right for you.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 02:51:12 pm by AdamH »
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
Re: Dominion Live Streams
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 08:50:38 am »
+2

Why would I want to watch a Dominion live stream?

Well, why do you want to watch Dominion videos? There are several reasons for this that are also shared by watching live streams:

- You want to learn how to play the game: so you understand the mechanics and how to play Dominion, but how do you play effectively? what kind of decisions are the things you should be thinking about when you approach a particular game of Dominion? Seeing a deck function and watching a game from a different perspective can provide a perspective that's very helpful for understanding basic strategy and familiarizing yourself with how kingdom cards can interact and be used in many unique ways.

- You want to get better at the game: usually the people streaming are very high-level players who have some experience communicating their strategy to their viewers. It's no secret that watching these players build their decks, while understanding the thought process that goes into it and the reasons for non-trivial tactical and strategic decisions will help you think about and understand lots of aspects of Dominion. The most extreme case of this is watching recorded tournament matches, when top-level players are completely focused on maximizing their chances of winning in a competitive environment, particularly high-profile tournaments like the DS Championships or GokoDom.

Does watching videos actually help you get better at Dominion? of course it does!

- You enjoy the commentary/they're fun to watch: there are several different styles of commentary that go along with each individual who is making videos. Yes, the commentary can often be insightful, but it can also be entertaining to watch at the same time.

- You feel like watching rather than playing: for some people, playing a game of Dominion can require intense focus and can be mentally (even emotionally) taxing. Sometimes you'd rather just let someone else take the driver's seat and see what they can do with it. Sometimes you're eating your dinner or doing something else with your hands and you'd like something else going on in the background to capture some of your attention.

These are reasons why you would want to watch recorded videos of Dominion games, and it's true that watching live streams of Dominion fits all of these reasons as well. In fact, it's possible to watch archived videos of live streams and get all these benefits. But what does live streaming offer that's so far unique to the world of Dominion videos?

- Tournament matches: people watch football matches live all the time and they love it, there's something about knowing that anything could still happen because the game literally hasn't been decided. You're supporting your favorite team, etc. Many people will be streaming their tournament matches, and for games with something actually on the line, watching a live stream of it is a way to be a part of the action.

- Interaction through chat: ever watch a video and see the player make a decision that you didn't understand? Sure, you can post a comment and they'll (hopefully) get back to you eventually, but with live streaming you can have instant feedback, either from the streamer or from other people in the chat, and you can have a dialog with them until everything is clear. For some people, chat is the main reason they show up to the streams, even if they hardly know anything about the game being played, just so they can be part of a type of "community".

- The stream can be tailored for the wants of those watching: ever watch a video and wish the player would explain things in more detail? Ever wish they would shut up and just play faster? Ever wish they would explain certain specific things in more detail, such as rationale for their decisions? In a video, you get what you get, but if people in the chat want to hear a specific type of commentary, all they have to do is ask the streamer and it will be done. Live streams can be a highly customized way of bringing Dominion to lots of different audiences.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 02:02:08 pm by AdamH »

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 05:34:49 pm »
+2

Going to start a stream in the next couple minutes.

SirD

• Bishop
  • Life is supposed to be fun
  • Respect: +55
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 08:19:46 am »
+3

I'll be starting my weekly Tuesday night stream in... like... now.

Why can't there be Tuesday twice or thrice a week...
Greetings,
SirDagen

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 08:52:34 am »

I'll be starting my weekly Tuesday night stream in... like... now.

Why can't there be Tuesday twice or thrice a week...

I wish there was. I stream as much as I can but unfortunately this week the stars just aren't aligning :-\ Hopefully next week I'll be able to do a couple more streams on top of Tuesday...

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 12:53:14 pm »

Would it be possible to have a thread where you guys post with some advance notice when you plan on streaming? Or has this become that thread?
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 12:56:08 pm »

I was hoping this would be that thread. I post here before I stream as soon as I know, but unfortunately most of the time (not Tuesdays) I don't have much advance notice, it's like "Oh, I have some time now. I'll stream."

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 01:15:36 pm »

I post in here (and delete the posts when finished, otherwise the thread would just get silly).  The thing is, I can't schedule streams far in advance because I don't always know when I'll be able to.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 01:16:48 pm »

I post in here (and delete the posts when finished, otherwise the thread would just get silly).  The thing is, I can't schedule streams far in advance because I don't always know when I'll be able to.

Ooh, hey, that's a good idea. I should do that too  :)

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 01:41:45 pm »

I understand, I meant more like a day in advance or something if possible but it's not a big deal. Life happens, I understand that. I love your videos by the way!
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 04:10:12 pm »

The thing is, I can't schedule streams far in advance because I don't always know when I'll be able to.

This.

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 01:20:33 pm »
+1

i'm planning to start streaming Hitting Five Live with Flies in about an hour!  (link when it becomes available)
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3387
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 01:40:03 pm »
+1

i'm planning to start streaming Hitting Five Live with Flies in about an hour!  (link when it becomes available)

I salute you.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

flies

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 02:39:40 pm »

Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.

flies

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 02:44:30 pm »

having connectivity issues...

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2014, 02:45:19 pm »

having connectivity issues...

Ah, I wondered. And you might want to zoom in the browser window, but video quality is excellent.

flies

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2014, 04:55:00 pm »

looks like i failed to set it to record.  too bad cuz I don't really know what the video looked like.  I'll probably use a different streamer next time, on Hitting Five Live with Flies.

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2014, 04:35:29 am »
+3

I just watched your Possession comeback game and noticed something I thought was interesting. Around 20:00, you were seeding his hand with one bad card by using Courtyard, but with all his excess draw+actions+vaults, you had perfect control over his shuffle. At the instant I linked, you could discard 5 copper, Estate, and Province for 7 coins, then play another Vault and discard another junk card. Now his discard pile is just 10 junk cards, and his deck is two cards. Play a Catacombs, discarding whatever you reveal, and you trigger a shuffle with only bad cards in it! Top it off by playing a Courtyard, and you'll leave him with a 6-card deck of junk, so he's guaranteed a useless turn. After his useless turn he'll reshuffle, and be ripe for Possession once again. Then you can build or green at your leisure: his deck is so good he'll almost never have a dud on hands where you possess him, and you can guarantee he'll never get a good turn of his own.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 04:37:35 am by amalloy »

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2014, 06:27:36 am »

I just watched your Possession comeback game and noticed something I thought was interesting. Around 20:00, you were seeding his hand with one bad card by using Courtyard, but with all his excess draw+actions+vaults, you had perfect control over his shuffle. At the instant I linked, you could discard 5 copper, Estate, and Province for 7 coins, then play another Vault and discard another junk card. Now his discard pile is just 10 junk cards, and his deck is two cards. Play a Catacombs, discarding whatever you reveal, and you trigger a shuffle with only bad cards in it! Top it off by playing a Courtyard, and you'll leave him with a 6-card deck of junk, so he's guaranteed a useless turn. After his useless turn he'll reshuffle, and be ripe for Possession once again. Then you can build or green at your leisure: his deck is so good he'll almost never have a dud on hands where you possess him, and you can guarantee he'll never get a good turn of his own.

Yeah, I wondered while playing, but I was kind of nervous and couldn't think clearly. I saw it in the rewatch that I could have timed it better. This was a crazy game though and I recommend everybody to watch it. One of the craziest I ever had. I should link it in the best moments thread.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2014, 01:10:23 pm »
+2

So I was thinking about stuff, and flies' catchy name for his stream is really, really, super-good. I kind of want to make a catchy name for my live streaming channel stuff. Man, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right?

For me, how about "Making my own shuffle luck" or "Trashing Coppers" or "ABCD with Adam", the possibilities are endless!

flies

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2014, 12:46:43 pm »
+1

Adam the Alchemist/Apothecary/Apprentice/Adventurer/Advisor/Ambassador or Adam's Armory/Altar or what have you

Adam and the Dominion serpent in the Garden of Eden (wow that's a mouthful, really want the adam and eve thing to work but I don' think so)

was going to suggest "AdamH dominionates" cuz of the rhyme, but... well, see below.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2014, 12:54:55 pm »

Mmm, out of those I like Adam the Advisor the best. It would be nice if there was something that worked well with my name (that's where I was going with "ABCD with Adam" but that one isn't very good). I also like making my own shuffle luck. This is hard!

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3387
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2014, 01:41:49 pm »
+2

"Adaominion"
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

flies

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2014, 01:55:46 pm »
+1

I also like making my own shuffle luck.
I like that too.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2014, 02:21:34 pm »

Adam the Alchemist/Apothecary/Apprentice/Adventurer/Advisor/Ambassador or Adam's Armory/Altar or what have you

Adam and the Dominion serpent in the Garden of Eden (wow that's a mouthful, really want the adam and eve thing to work but I don' think so)

was going to suggest "AdamH dominionates" cuz of the rhyme, but... well, see below.
"Adam in the Eve-ning" is the best I can come up with so far with Eve in there.

How about "AdamH's Garden in the Shade"?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 02:30:02 pm by markusin »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 36  All

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 20 queries.