Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Wow. Buzzkill  (Read 13550 times)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Wow. Buzzkill
« on: January 28, 2014, 10:58:38 pm »

I don't remember if it's in that bad manners thread, but I think resigning in the middle of your opponents last turn is bad manners, no matter how bad you're losing. I already had pretty much the whole Platinum pile and a solid point lead, so she could have resigned at any point before. Instead she opted to gg me mid turn (That's not the bad manners part), covering my cards, and force end my final turn. Have the decency to wait 5 seconds. I'm not going to rub it in your face by Bishoping my Colony, because I'm not an ass (I thought of it, but I wouldn't do it. I save that for IRL against my brother.)

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140128/log.51467e35e4b0de86766bf3f3.1390967617948.txt

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
Re: Wow. Buzzkill
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 12:02:00 pm »

i know it can be irritating when you're losing badly, but this annoys me.  it's been happening more to me recently. 
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

dghunter79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +319
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 06:33:26 pm »

i know it can be irritating when you're losing badly, but this annoys me.  it's been happening more to me recently.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=10312.0

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 06:45:35 pm »

?

the "this" that annoys me is "resigning in the middle of your opponents last turn", "last turn" being the turn where they'd be ending the game on a win themselves.  If you resign on my turn, obviously that's my last turn; it's only annoying if i was going to end on a win anyway.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

dghunter79

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 06:57:38 pm »

?

the "this" that annoys me is "resigning in the middle of your opponents last turn", "last turn" being the turn where they'd be ending the game on a win themselves.  If you resign on my turn, obviously that's my last turn; it's only annoying if i was going to end on a win anyway.

The polite time to resign is at the beginning of your own turn.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 07:10:08 pm »
+1

?

Though, it's worth noting that there are some people on Goko who could be ending the game on a win, but instead play with themselves for 5 minutes before ending the game on a win. I usually wait until it's obvious that my opponent is doing this (if everything they need to end the game is visible from my side), but I also kind of understand the people who don't want to wait just to find out that their opponent is pulling a Still Had All Deez on them.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 08:30:02 pm »
+2

?

Though, it's worth noting that there are some people on Goko who could be ending the game on a win, but instead play with themselves for 5 minutes before ending the game on a win. I usually wait until it's obvious that my opponent is doing this (if everything they need to end the game is visible from my side), but I also kind of understand the people who don't want to wait just to find out that their opponent is pulling a Still Had All Deez on them.

This.  Absolutely nothing worse in Dominion online than staring at 2 empty piles, one Estate left, and your opponent, who's already winning by 12, uses his 18 buys and 47 coin to buy 3 Provinces, 3 Gold, and a Laboratory.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 08:35:33 pm »

?

The polite time to resign is at the beginning of your own turn.

I agree. I shouldn't have ended my turn in the crazy curse game and instead resigned before doing so, but I also didn't let him play out his turn, and just before he ends the game, resign.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 09:19:51 pm »
+1

?

This.  Absolutely nothing worse in Dominion online than staring at 2 empty piles, one Estate left, and your opponent, who's already winning by 12, uses his 18 buys and 47 coin to buy 3 Provinces, 3 Gold, and a Laboratory.

If it bothers you so much, point it out to them. Sometimes they legitimately don't see it.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 10:06:40 pm »

If it bothers you so much, point it out to them. Sometimes they legitimately don't see it.

I do.  I mean, if it's a super close game and you are unsure if buying the final curse wins or not, I get it, especially if you aren't using the counter.  But in the extreme cases, it's usually just spiteful.

I'm often asking "why didn't you just buy the last 4 Pawns to win?"  And sure, that might be something you missed with your 4 buys and 8 coin, since the Province just feels right, maybe.  And then they end it the next turn and we're all good.

You'd be amazed at all the folks who won't even respond, and then continue to just build and build their deck instead of ending the game with a win.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 10:23:15 pm »

I do.  I mean, if it's a super close game and you are unsure if buying the final curse wins or not, I get it, especially if you aren't using the counter.  But in the extreme cases, it's usually just spiteful.

I'm often asking "why didn't you just buy the last 4 Pawns to win?"  And sure, that might be something you missed with your 4 buys and 8 coin, since the Province just feels right, maybe.  And then they end it the next turn and we're all good.

You'd be amazed at all the folks who won't even respond, and then continue to just build and build their deck instead of ending the game with a win.

Maybe they're on an ipad so they can't respond.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 10:34:54 pm »
+3

Maybe they're on an ipad so they can't respond.

They could still buy the last Estate on an iPad.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 06:42:56 am »
+6

I still maintain that the polite time to resign is whenever (insert personal pronoun/name here) feel(s) like it.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 07:26:12 am »
+1

I still maintain that the polite time to resign is whenever (insert personal pronoun/name here) feel(s) like it.
..and the best way of dealing with feelings of frustration for someone playing out their monster turn or dragging the game further when they have a forced win is to resign yourself.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 08:04:18 am »
+4

There's no minimum age limit on Goko right?
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 08:49:57 am »

There's no minimum age limit on Goko right?

relevant quote from the decline of civility thread:

This stuff perhaps seems less newsworthy when you realize you may be playing against kids.

momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

dghunter79

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 03:10:35 pm »

The other person has to wait while you play your cards.  It is then polite to return the courtesy and let the other person play their cards.

I think what you're really saying is "I don't worry all that much about being polite."  Which is fine.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 03:12:18 pm by dghunter79 »

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2014, 04:50:06 pm »
+2

The other person has to wait while you play your cards.  It is then polite to return the courtesy and let the other person play their cards.

I think what you're really saying is "I don't worry all that much about being polite."  Which is fine.

1) I disagree with your second sentence (actually I disagree with the first, too, but that is more of a technicality).
2) I do worry about trying to be polite. "All that much" is incredibly subjective, so I can't really speak to that. Certainly it isn't my TOP priority...
3) I meant what I said.
4) I find it rather rude to imply that numbers 2 and 3 are untrue.

dghunter79

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 05:20:49 pm »

1) I disagree with your second sentence (actually I disagree with the first, too, but that is more of a technicality).
2) I do worry about trying to be polite. "All that much" is incredibly subjective, so I can't really speak to that. Certainly it isn't my TOP priority...
3) I meant what I said.

I'm sure you meant what you said.  I just think the words I used are more apt in describing your thought processes.  Although an even better, even less objectionable way to put it would be, "I don't consider politeness, when it comes to the timing of when to resign in a game of online Dominion." 

If you or any hypothetical human being said something along the lines of "When it comes to the timing of when to resign in a game of online Dominion, I think everything is equally polite," I would assume what they actually felt was more like the first thing.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2014, 05:33:21 pm »

3) I meant what I said.

I'm sure you meant what you said.  I just think the words I used are more apt in describing your thought processes.  Although an even better, even less objectionable way to put it would be, "I don't consider politeness, when it comes to the timing of when to resign in a game of online Dominion." 

If you or any hypothetical human being said something along the lines of "When it comes to the timing of when to resign in a game of online Dominion, I think everything is equally polite," I would assume what they actually felt was more like the first thing.

I find it very strange that you think you understand my thought process better than I do - especially that this is true to the extent that you feel the need to comment on it.

But I guess you either have to disbelieve me or be surprised at your incorrect assumption, because I really don't think it's less polite to resign at any point - and I find it strange that other people do.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2014, 05:46:52 pm »

No, it's not polite to make them play their cards when there's no point in doing so. If you think clicking on cards on Goko is fun, then you can play against the bots or whatever; I assume that most people would rather be doing something of significance, such as playing another game of Dominion against someone who hasn't decided to resign yet.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

dghunter79

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2014, 07:04:51 pm »
+1

No, it's not polite to make them play their cards when there's no point in doing so. If you think clicking on cards on Goko is fun, then you can play against the bots or whatever; I assume that most people would rather be doing something of significance, such as playing another game of Dominion against someone who hasn't decided to resign yet.

Everyone prefers their own turn to the other guy's turn.  Almost all of the resignations I encounter come around the beginning of my turn, because the other guy played his own cards, because it was a little fun for him, and then resigned, because waiting through my turn was not at all fun for him.

If your opponent is playing a turn you think they would rather not play, if they knew you were just going to resign, you can tell them that, and ask if they mind if you resign.  "But wait!  That means going the extra mile just to avoid offending someone else!  I mean, there's a chance they might not have even minded if I just resigned!"

Well, that's what it means to be polite.  Going that extra mile.

dghunter79

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2014, 07:12:13 pm »
+1

I find it very strange that you think you understand my thought process better than I do - especially that this is true to the extent that you feel the need to comment on it.

But I guess you either have to disbelieve me or be surprised at your incorrect assumption, because I really don't think it's less polite to resign at any point - and I find it strange that other people do.

It's not really that strange! It's pretty common to feel, when someone else is talking, that they mean a different thing than what they're saying.  People don't express themselves perfectly.  Through a combination of awkwardness of language, and a desire, usually unconscious, to distort reality by misdescribing it, what people say is at best an approximation of what they think and feel.

It's not uncommon that one person can have a clearer idea of what another is thinking than that person is themselves expressing.  Especially in oppositional discourse like this.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2014, 07:18:19 pm »

Everyone prefers their own turn to the other guy's turn.  Almost all of the resignations I encounter come around the beginning of my turn, because the other guy played his own cards, because it was a little fun for him, and then resigned, because waiting through my turn was not at all fun for him.

If your opponent is playing a turn you think they would rather not play, if they knew you were just going to resign, you can tell them that, and ask if they mind if you resign.  "But wait!  That means going the extra mile just to avoid offending someone else!  I mean, there's a chance they might not have even minded if I just resigned!"

Or maybe he played his own cards because he didn't know that he would be having an absolutely awful hand next turn until he drew it at the end of his turn. And if I ask if my opponent minds if I resign, then the only polite way for my opponent to respond is that they don't mind, so it's pointless.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2014, 07:21:28 pm »

I think you're confusing polite with inconsiderate, not that this really matters?
Anyway, I am definitely very annoyed by people asking me they resign. Can I call that impolite? Sure. But there isn't much point - I think the larger point here is to not assume malicious intent, and realize that whatever the little things, it's doesn't really matter THAT much in the scheme of things.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 21 queries.