Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: I refues to play this. 9 curses on me before I get 1 on him.  (Read 7343 times)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
I refues to play this. 9 curses on me before I get 1 on him.
« on: January 28, 2014, 12:02:28 pm »
+1

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140128/log.51467e35e4b0de86766bf3f3.1390928469821.txt

Just no. He opens Doctor/Potion to get Familiar, I open with silver, he gets it, I don't. He gives me 9 curses before I play Familiar once. I quit.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
Re: I refues to play this. 9 curses on me before I get 1 on him.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 12:07:09 pm »
+2

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140128/log.51467e35e4b0de86766bf3f3.1390928469821.txt

Just no. He opens Doctor/Potion to get Familiar, I open with silver, he gets it, I don't. He gives me 9 curses before I play Familiar once. I quit.

I one time had horrible luck, got all 10 Curses, and won.

...And my opponent not being that great at the game definitely had nothing to do with it...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 12:18:24 pm »

Yeah, I would have resigned at that point too probably.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 12:34:41 pm »

And his damn doctor trashed 2 cards with each play. Mine of course hits my Potion on the overpay, and nothing when I play it.

eliegel34

• Golem
  • Respect: +146
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 03:55:00 pm »

Doctor seems to be pretty high variance based on what you draw from the top. You can improve that with deck tracking for the first few turns, but that doesn't guarantee that you'll flip what you guess. It feels like you have to guess Copper the first time unless you are sure there will be an estate in the group.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 03:57:07 pm »
+9

Mine of course hits my Potion
Usually, Mine hitting a Potion is pretty good.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 05:38:24 pm »
+3

Ha. Ha. Ha. You're hilarious.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 06:56:03 pm »
+10

I was wondering for about ten seconds why it would be good to have Mine hit a Potion. Then ai realized I was confusing its effect with Mint's. True story.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 10:00:03 pm »
+4

I was wondering for about ten seconds why it would be good to have Mine hit a Potion. Then ai realized I was confusing its effect with Mint's. True story.

I've never once confused the two. It makes no sense. I don't chew spearmine gum, so why would I confuse Mine and Mint. The pictures are totally different, plus Mint has a line and Mine has a block of text.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 10:09:20 pm »
+1

I've never once confused the two. It makes no sense. I don't chew spearmine gum, so why would I confuse Mine and Mint. The pictures are totally different, plus Mint has a line and Mine has a block of text.
Well gosh, Awaclus didn't post the picture of Mine with its effect. I kinda forgot Mine existed for a moment.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 10:15:31 pm »
+1

Well gosh, Awaclus didn't post the picture of Mine with its effect. I kinda forgot Mine existed for a moment.

Yeah that is true that he didn't post a picture. But "e" and "t" are totally different shapes. "t" is line based while "e" is circle based. Are you geometrically impaired?

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 10:32:08 pm »
+11

I would have bought the final curse first, because I'm a completionist.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 10:42:57 pm »

I would have bought the final curse first, because I'm a completionist.

Yeah, achievement unlocked.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 10:58:05 pm »
+1

Yeah that is true that he didn't post a picture. But "e" and "t" are totally different shapes. "t" is line based while "e" is circle based. Are you geometrically impaired?
To clarify, I read "Mine" and thought "Okay, how often do I want to duplicate my Potion?". I thought Mine did what Mint did at that moment.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 11:00:44 pm »
+1

To clarify, I read "Mine" and thought "Okay, how often do I want to duplicate my Potion?". I thought Mine did what Mint did at that moment.

Oh. That's a whole new level of psychological confusion there. I thought it was just a letter thing.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 02:36:54 am »
+2

It took me this long to realize that "refuse" was spelled "refues" in the topic subject.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 09:40:41 am »

It took me this long to realize that "refuse" was spelled "refues" in the topic subject.

That's a rage typo.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 09:43:32 am »
+1

I often forgo cursing and just absorb all 10 of them while I happily win the game because my opponent thought curses were an autowin and overlooked the fact that buying potions and multiple familiars is often a waste of time.

Not saying that was an option with this board but I probably would have slugged it out because the satisfaction of winning with 10 curses in your deck is worth it.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 09:47:32 am »

I often forgo cursing and just absorb all 10 of them while I happily win the game because my opponent thought curses were an autowin and overlooked the fact that buying potions and multiple familiars is often a waste of time.

Not saying that was an option with this board but I probably would have slugged it out because the satisfaction of winning with 10 curses in your deck is worth it.

But if you lose (Which was most probable) then it was a just a really painful game for nothing.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2014, 10:44:52 am »
+2

But if you lose (Which was most probable) then it was a just a really painful game for nothing.

I must be getting more out of playing the game than you are.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2014, 02:24:36 pm »

I must be getting more out of playing the game than you are.

Yes obviously. I guess I just don't get what is interesting with having a lot of dead cards in my hand and not being able to play anything. Look, this thread was for 1 game. Did you look at the log? yeah, I wasn't going to win it. Maybe I could have had I not gone for Familiars, but probably not because the only trashing was Doctor. Why would any of this somehow make you get more out of the game than me? I don't know, but if you don't frustrated that's great for you. Yippee. I didn't resign the Possession game I had with jaybeez yesterday even though every time he possessed me it was a province buying turn for me, but I never for more than a duchy from his deck despite our very similar decks.

If your post was somehow a joke that I didnt get, then I'm sorry. But if you do think you get more from the game than me, well, I'm not sure what to say. Good for you? I think I get a lot out of the game and that 1 example of me getting annoyed is not a good basis for saying that I don't get anything from playing.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2014, 02:47:29 pm »

I interpreted that to say, "Losing is just a painful experience to be terminated wherein I learn nothing".

I've already stated maybe the winning move was to never go for Familiar to begin with.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2014, 04:06:07 pm »
+1

I interpreted that to say, "Losing is just a painful experience to be terminated wherein I learn nothing".

I've already stated maybe the winning move was to never go for Familiar to begin with.

You interpreted what I said, where interpreted is the key word.

Losing is not a painful experience. But losing when you never had a chance to win is. If I play chess, and with the first ten moves I take my opponent's Knights, a Bishop and Queen, I wouldn't be surprised if they resign. They can sit out the rest of the game, trying not to lose, but at this point they've probably learned all they can. The rest is just ass kicking.

I learned that maybe pure trashing can outrace Familiar (Although I do not think Doctor is good enough to do this). After I resigned, this game of dominion would have just been ass kicking. I don't find it interesting to play a game where I can't do anything due to 9 curses in my deck. Now, maybe you find it fun. Play it then. I don't, so why not move on to the next game? I've learned what I can. Don't always go for Familiar, especially when the only trashing is Doctor. Now I can move on, because there is no chance that I win this.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2014, 01:09:39 am »

You interpreted what I said, where interpreted is the key word.

Losing is not a painful experience. But losing when you never had a chance to win is. If I play chess, and with the first ten moves I take my opponent's Knights, a Bishop and Queen, I wouldn't be surprised if they resign. They can sit out the rest of the game, trying not to lose, but at this point they've probably learned all they can. The rest is just ass kicking.

I learned that maybe pure trashing can outrace Familiar (Although I do not think Doctor is good enough to do this). After I resigned, this game of dominion would have just been ass kicking. I don't find it interesting to play a game where I can't do anything due to 9 curses in my deck. Now, maybe you find it fun. Play it then. I don't, so why not move on to the next game? I've learned what I can. Don't always go for Familiar, especially when the only trashing is Doctor. Now I can move on, because there is no chance that I win this.

I'm with you. Sometimes certain games just aren't fair or fun. I just played this game,

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140215/log.516ddc20e4b082c74d7cbc04.1392530089105.txt

in which I received 9 of the ruins while the chapel barely hit any of them. I immediately thought of this thread. Not as bad as your game but frustrating nonetheless.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 01:14:51 am by AndrewisFTTW »
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.908 seconds with 21 queries.