Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: The Dominion Cards Lists 2013 Edition: Prizes  (Read 20560 times)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
Re: The Dominion Cards Lists 2013 Edition: Prizes
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2014, 11:09:07 am »

The difference between Adventurer and Harvest is that Harvest is capped at $4 and doesn't really get any more interesting. Adventurer can easily get well above that, especially in Colony games.

I don't think Adventurer would be all that high up, but I think it might be a little better at $5 than people estimate. Maybe slightly below average, or probably somewhere in the 3rd quarter.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Mr Anderson

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2014, 11:53:14 am »

Talking about Adventurer, I guess adding the on gain clause Mint has would be a good idea, as you want a few if no Copper in your deck when you want Adventurer. That would improve Adventurer significantly since you would no longer need a strong trasher with Adventurer on the board to even think about buying Adventurer.

I don't think we should add Duchy to this list. Victory Cards (at least Provinces and a little bit later Duchies) are always better than other cards when you are ready to green and worse than other cards when you build assuming you do not build too long.
We already saw in previous lists that victory cards or cards that are only useful at a certain and limited point of time, and you take the Duchy when you need it to catch up or you are greening hard.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2014, 06:52:15 pm »

here's where I talk shit about Adventurer again.
Wait! We might still be getting the $6 card list. Then you can bash on Adventurer. I wonder where it would lie on the $5 card list.

Probably near the bottom, above Harvest.

Adventurer could just dig for 3 treasure cards instead of 2, then it would be completely fine for $6

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2014, 06:54:55 pm »
+2

My gut reaction is that would be too powerful. Even without thinning that's now guaranteed terminal Gold at worst, very often terminal +$4, and if you can trash some coppers it'll be +$5 and above frequently.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2014, 06:59:13 pm »

My gut reaction is that would be too powerful. Even without thinning that's now guaranteed terminal Gold at worst, very often terminal +$4, and if you can trash some coppers it'll be +$5 and above frequently.
Well, my gut agrees, but... I mean, it's a smithy that only draws treasures. In engines, you'd rather have smithy. So it's only really worthwhile in Big Money, where if it costs 6, okay, now we're actually talking about it being better than gold pretty often, but I kind of doubt it would be oppressive any more than like Jack, Vault, Embassy, Courtyard.

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2014, 07:07:02 pm »
+1

I'm not sure whether that is too powerful. A hypothetical terminal +$4 would be strong (and boring) at $6, but I think not too strong. I think BM-(this card) wouldn't fare that well, and engines usually want something besides plain terminal money.

Similarly Adventurer searching for 3 cards would be (very) strong, but maybe not too strong:
Big Money doesn't trash, so it would give ~4-5 money each play. That's strong, but I doubt it would beat BM-Smithy, because $6 is a high price for BM-X. Another comparison: I think that when playing Big Money-Hunting Grounds, the HG will draw on average 3 treasure cards when played (a little more when you just started greening, less at the end of the game), so this would be similar in strength.
For engines, this card is almost strictly worse than Hunting Grounds. Sure, you can't draw actions dead, but engines usually want to draw their actions before their treasures.
In slogs this would certainly be very strong. But $6 is quite a lot for slogs, I think it wouldn't be a problem. And this card is way too expensive for rushes.

So on paper it looks actually not that bad. I think it's worth testing.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2014, 07:12:10 pm »

I think Adventurer can stand to provide a bonus for finding non-unique cards. The most common case would be to compensate for finding two Copper, but hypothetically you could build an engine deck where Adventurer can take advantage of this bonus consistently.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2014, 08:51:09 pm »

I think Adventurer can stand to provide a bonus for finding non-unique cards. The most common case would be to compensate for finding two Copper, but hypothetically you could build an engine deck where Adventurer can take advantage of this bonus consistently.

I think Adventurer should have a bonus in general. Perhaps if it topdecked a revealed Action card.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2014, 09:03:48 pm »

Well, my gut agrees, but... I mean, it's a smithy that only draws treasures. In engines, you'd rather have smithy. So it's only really worthwhile in Big Money, where if it costs 6, okay, now we're actually talking about it being better than gold pretty often, but I kind of doubt it would be oppressive any more than like Jack, Vault, Embassy, Courtyard.

I'm actually not sure entirely how much I agree with that. It's Smithy for treasure, but it's purpose is entirely different. Smithy is grease for your engine to draw more actions and stuff. This is payload to grab the rest of your treasures if/when you can't draw anything else. If you can build an engine which easily draws itself, sure, you won't bother with +1 Adventurer still. But in weaker engines or while you're still building up, having terminals to just grab a big bunch of treasures seems really good to me.

Still, this is all theoretical. You might be right that it'd be fine. It probably wouldn't be broken. But at first glance it seems like a powerful card, even in engines, and especially against junking (except Mountebank).
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 20 queries.