Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Nonterminal percentage  (Read 18237 times)

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
Re: Nonterminal percentage
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2014, 10:18:48 pm »

- Terminal Action - A card that, when played, decreases the number of additional terminal actions you can play on the same turn.

:(
You kinda have to add a special rule to the game that stipulates "When you cannot play any additional actions on your turn, you cannot play any additional non-terminals on that turn either". Notice the emphasis on the current turn. I'll explain why I define them like that shortly.
Well, that should say "When you cannot play any additional terminal actions on your turn...", or "when you have 0 available actions...". With that exception, I don't see how the above statement is wrong.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2014, 10:28:32 pm »

I think his problem is that the definition is recursive.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2014, 10:33:41 pm »

Aww...but that's what I like best about the definition.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2014, 01:45:33 am »
+1

Aww...but that's what I like best about the definition.

What I like best about recursive definitions is that I like them (because they're recursive).
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2014, 07:40:16 am »

What I like best about recursive definitions is that I like them (because they're recursive).

That is not recursive.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2014, 10:44:39 am »

- Terminal Action - A card that, when played, decreases the number of additional terminal actions you can play on the same turn.

You kinda have to add a special rule to the game that stipulates "When you cannot play any additional actions on your turn, you cannot play any additional non-terminals on that turn either". Notice the emphasis on the current turn. I'll explain why I define them like that shortly.
Well, that should say "When you cannot play any additional terminal actions on your turn...", or "when you have 0 available actions...". With that exception, I don't see how the above statement is wrong.

Wouldn't it be easier to say nonterminal actions either give more actions or play actions immediately?  Splitters are a special case of nonterminal actions that give more than +1 action.  Terminal actions are not nonterminal.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2014, 10:52:33 am »

Wouldn't it be easier to say nonterminal actions either give more actions or play actions immediately?  Splitters are a special case of nonterminal actions that give more than +1 action.  Terminal actions are not nonterminal.
Possibly, but that would sort of make Cultist nonterminal, when it's really just a terminal chain effect. I wanted to be as general as possible. Also, my working definition helps distinguish from TR (an action splitter) and a hypothetical card that said "play an action card from your hand immediately" (non-terminal but not an action splitter).

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2014, 12:01:25 pm »

Possibly, but that would sort of make Cultist nonterminal, when it's really just a terminal chain effect. I wanted to be as general as possible. Also, my working definition helps distinguish from TR (an action splitter) and a hypothetical card that said "play an action card from your hand immediately" (non-terminal but not an action splitter).

Well, you could specify nonterminal to be +{any number of actions} or play an arbitrary action immediately, and splitter to be +{more than one action} or play more than one arbitrary action (or the same action more than once)

Edit: Okay Golem is terminal this way, but change arbitrary to one that need not be the same card, or something.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 12:14:20 pm by Witherweaver »

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2014, 02:41:04 pm »

Well, you could specify nonterminal to be +{any number of actions} or play an arbitrary action immediately, and splitter to be +{more than one action} or play more than one arbitrary action (or the same action more than once)

Edit: Okay Golem is terminal this way, but change arbitrary to one that need not be the same card, or something.
I could change the definition like that, but I just don't like the +{any number of actions} part. It's a bit specific to certain cards where my definition seeks to encompass the consequences of receiving +{any number of actions}. The result is a nice 1-line definition.

Anyway, I only came up with that definition for the purposes of analyzing the duration cards and their place in the terminal/non-terminal categories.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 20 queries.