Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Live Streaming for GokoDom III!  (Read 84436 times)

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
Live Streaming for GokoDom III!
« on: January 21, 2014, 11:36:04 am »
+7

EDIT: Live streaming for my GokoDom III matches is a go! See this post for the "code of conduct" I'll be holding myself to -- if anyone else wants to stream tournament matches I think this is a good thing to try and do, at least as a starting point.

The purpose of this thread is to talk about what's cool and not cool for live streaming Dominion tournament matches, but ALSO to give streamers and viewers an opportunity to coordinate. If anyone plans on streaming their tournament matches for GokoDom III, post when you'll be streaming and how people can find you (and feel free to post a reminder here just before you're about to go live in case that helps out!) If you want to try and watch some live streams on tournament matches, feel free to tag this thread or whatever helps you if you don't want to subscribe on Twitch.

...and now to your regularly scheduled OP:

So I'm thinking I might want to live stream my tournament matches. I wanted to make sure that potential issues from doing this are OK with everybody. I'm happy just making videos and posting them later if it's going to be a problem.

1. People could potentially see my hand and/or hear my strategy if they were watching my stream while playing the match.

Well to be honest I'm not concerned too much about that. There roughly a 30 second delay and since this tournament will consist mostly of forum people I don't think people would really do that; plus, I think it's not really an advantage in most cases so I'm willing to take whatever disadvantage that would offer.

2. People in the chat could potentially be giving me advice during the match.

Yeah this one might be a big deal. I mean, I can just ignore the chat while I'm playing (of course that defeats most of the purpose of live streaming but I'd still probably do that). I could ask people not to give strategic commentary on games currently in progress. But neither of these things are really enforceable; even though there will be video evidence of it if I decide to "cheat" it's still technically possible for me to be super-shady and make it not noticeable.

I always ask permission from my opponents before making even a video of any of my tournament matches, just in case, and I plan to do the same here, so if that's a solution everybody is OK with then I can do that as well, but I'd understand if we just wanted to do a blanket ban on live streaming for this tournament. That's why I'm asking. Any thoughts are welcome and I'll respect whatever Kirian decides.
On the other hand, I'd really like to find a niche for live streaming Dominion and from the start I always thought tournament matches would be one of the best things for it. There's the same allure of watching your favorite sports team live because anything can happen.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 04:34:37 pm by AdamH »
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
Re: Live Streaming for GokoDom III?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 11:53:06 am »
+8

I can just ignore the chat while I'm playing (of course that defeats most of the purpose of live streaming but I'd still probably do that).
I think you should ignore chat while playing. I think the purpose of live-streaming of tournament match is different than your normal stream, it is more like watching football match and university lecture. And people in chat can answer each other if someone don't understand something and also talk freely about your strategy (and possible better strategies).

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 12:30:24 pm »
+1

I can just ignore the chat while I'm playing (of course that defeats most of the purpose of live streaming but I'd still probably do that).
I think you should ignore chat while playing. I think the purpose of live-streaming of tournament match is different than your normal stream, it is more like watching football match and university lecture. And people in chat can answer each other if someone don't understand something and also talk freely about your strategy (and possible better strategies).

Yeah, this. Or enforce a 2-3 minute delay.

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 03:03:06 am »

Is there a way to allow your opponent to see the chat from the live stream?  That would solve the fairness problem.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 10:47:18 am »

I think if you can force a 2-minute delay, that's probably sufficient.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 10:49:52 am »

I'm not aware of any way to force a delay; perhaps there is something in OBS (Open Broadcasting Software) that I'm not aware of -- I'm definitely not very familiar with the software.

If this is not possible, am I OK if I ignore the chat during games? I'd probably do that even if I could force a delay.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 10:55:11 am »
+2

I'm not aware of any way to force a delay; perhaps there is something in OBS (Open Broadcasting Software) that I'm not aware of -- I'm definitely not very familiar with the software.

If this is not possible, am I OK if I ignore the chat during games? I'd probably do that even if I could force a delay.

Personally I see no problem with any of this. Even if you do discuss strategy with other people, I could easily be playing with a friend sitting next to me. Also, I trust people from the forum not to cheat (in some way using the live streaming). Why would even want to cheat? It defeats the entire purpose of why people enjoy Dominion.

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 11:18:25 am »
+2

http://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/articles/1126395-how-stream-delay-works

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 11:24:38 am »

So that says it's enabled for professional players by request. That sounds like something I have to pay for :-\ A brief search and I can't immediately find how to enable this. Of course I can dig a little harder when I get home tonight.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 11:26:54 am »

Personally I see no problem with any of this. Even if you do discuss strategy with other people, I could easily be playing with a friend sitting next to me. Also, I trust people from the forum not to cheat (in some way using the live streaming). Why would even want to cheat? It defeats the entire purpose of why people enjoy Dominion.

This is true enough.  I mean... let's face it, the absolute worst result here is that Adam's opponent gets a slight advantage.  I don't see how that harms the tournament except for Adam, and, well, he's not exactly being coerced into doing this!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 11:40:07 am »
+1

So that says it's enabled for professional players by request. That sounds like something I have to pay for :-\ A brief search and I can't immediately find how to enable this. Of course I can dig a little harder when I get home tonight.

http://skyride.org/2013/09/obs-streaming-tutorial/ - it's quite long, but search for "delay" and it shows how to do it with OBS.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 01:05:18 pm »
+4

http://skyride.org/2013/09/obs-streaming-tutorial/ - it's quite long, but search for "delay" and it shows how to do it with OBS.

Brilliant. This is exactly what I needed, I'd like to think I could have eventually found that on my own.  :-[

So when I stream tournament matches I'll use a two minute delay and I won't look at the chat while I'm playing (only in between games). I'll also be asking permission from each of my opponents (like I always do for making videos) and I'll probably refer them to this post for details.

Videos from my matches should eventually make it to my YouTube channel as well. I hope other people will consider doing this too.

Maybe we could use this thread as a place to post when our matches are scheduled so it's easier for people to watch? I'll probably post here when my matches are scheduled and right before I'm about to go live.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 02:00:34 pm »

I will try and stream mine.  I don't know what's going to happen IRL, though.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 03:56:04 pm »
+1

I think you should just ignore the chat. The delay won't help, as someone saying "look, he is depleting the Curse pile with his Goons Buys, he seems to be unaware that the opponent's Vineyards just went up" can easily be useful 2 minutes later. And some turns can easily be longer than 2 minutes (SP especially, but also some complicated engines).

I would personally trust you to ignore the chat. I know is awful not being able to comment live, but I would not like you commenting live in the chat, because that would distract you from the game making it unnecessary longer.

dethwing

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
Re: Live Streaming for GokoDom III!
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 12:30:08 pm »
+6

I'll be streaming my match against Dunduks tomorrow at 3 EST. twitch.tv/dethwing
This should be interesting, because dominion isn't my usual stream material.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 12:43:11 pm »

Good luck to both of you streaming!  I mean, in terms of making sure the stream is working.  Luck wishes for the matches are given equally to all competitors.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 10:16:48 am »
+1

My match is going to be 12 AM EST Saturday night (aka Sunday Morning).  Sorry about the ridonculous time.  Singapore <-> Eastern US is difficult, heh.
http://www.twitch.tv/jsh357

Edit: Stream concluded
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 01:20:56 am by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

dethwing

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 11:03:23 pm »
+1

I will be streaming my round 2 match on Friday, 9 PM EST. http://www.twitch.tv/dethwing
Hopefully I don't get whitewashed this time!

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 02:04:49 pm »

Goko willing, I'll be streaming Round 2 against JOG today in approximately one hour (3 PM EST).

http://www.twitch.tv/jsh357

« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 04:17:44 pm by jsh357 »

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2014, 08:26:09 am »
+1

If Goko will allow it, my round 2 match with Psyduck will be tomorrow (Tuesday) at 2PM Eastern and I'll be streaming it.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2014, 02:02:18 pm »

Going live with my match vs. Psyduck:

http://www.twitch.tv/adamhorton

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2014, 05:34:00 pm »

My match against MJD will be tonight at 10 PM EST (4.5 hours from this post)
http://twitch.tv/jsh357

« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 11:04:29 pm by jsh357 »

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2014, 11:57:56 pm »

My round 3 match with AI will be tomorrow (Tuesday) at 9PM Eastern (this will be my normal Tuesday night stream)

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2014, 03:53:13 pm »

My match against Tables will be on Tuesday at 4 PM EST and I will be streaming.
Where can I found your channel?

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2014, 09:01:42 pm »

going live in a bit with my match.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.