Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Did something good happen?  (Read 53435 times)

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Re: Did something good happen?
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2014, 10:01:18 pm »

The new forum is up: http://forum.makingfun.com/forumdisplay.php?78-Dominion-Online

Anyone want to come play forum games there?

Apparently there are already 10499 members there.  That was fast.

This new company seems to have several other games in their stable, and most of those members seem to be linked via Facebook.

yeah, I just realized that exploring a bit more.  It appears to be 7 different games.  Hidden Express, Dominion, Hidden Haunts, Mage and Minions (coming soon!), Santa's Village, Paper Sage, and Blood Realm.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2014, 10:06:58 pm »

Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2014, 10:07:20 pm »
+3

This thing certainly reeks of Goko: I registered, got my account confirmed, but can't find a way to actually post...

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2014, 10:12:03 pm »

The new forum is up: http://forum.makingfun.com/forumdisplay.php?78-Dominion-Online

This new company seems to have several other games in their stable, and most of those members seem to be linked via Facebook.

yeah, I just realized that exploring a bit more.  It appears to be 7 different games.  Hidden Express, Dominion, Hidden Haunts, Mage and Minions (coming soon!), Santa's Village, Paper Sage, and Blood Realm.
Sadly, I've never heard of any of those games besides Dominion.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2014, 10:35:46 pm »

"Making Fun"

They're now just writing the jokes for us, huh?

I seriously did a double take when I checked that link, because REALLY Goko? Although the forum itself seems... interesting.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2014, 10:52:57 pm »

I made an account to explore some more while giving me the potential to troll*.  I discovered that you are only allowed to have 50 PMs before you need to start deleting.  Good luck trying to mod a game of mafia.  I mean, with 13 players, that will be 26 messages sent/recieved + additional clarification for players who need it, then night actions, etc.  I have never modded before, but I assume that 50 PMs will get used up pretty fast.

[edit]*not that I am planning on doing this or anything.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 10:56:38 pm by 2.71828..... »

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2014, 10:57:40 pm »

50 messages should be fine, provided there's capability to delete messages quickly (i.e. select all > delete)
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2014, 11:02:58 pm »

Meanwhile, Bloodrealm also seems to be run by a place called Kabam, or perhaps hosted there partly?  And Kabam is partly-owned by Redpoint Ventures... which was one of Goko's original investors as well!

There's enough corporate inbreeding here to make a Sprague-Dawley rat blush.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2014, 11:05:25 pm »

So... there's some kind of multi-game official forum for them all? This is pretty weird, I have to say.

Oh and as a note, there doesn't appear to be any social or non-gaming forums, meaning any attempt to start mafia there would be met with failure, sadly. Although we could always try, just to see how bad the moderating is (but I doubt it'd work).

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2014, 11:24:11 pm »
+2

Why would we want to play forum games there anyway?

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2014, 01:47:46 am »
+2

Why would we want to play forum games there anyway?

We'll need somewhere to play after they force theory to close f.ds down.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2014, 08:00:46 am »

This thing certainly reeks of Goko: I registered, got my account confirmed, but can't find a way to actually post...
Anyone found out how to post yet?

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2014, 08:08:41 am »

Yeah, it seems like only certain subfora are locked, like the "Earlier reported bugs and suggestions".

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2014, 08:11:14 am »

Too bad, because their list is incomplete...
Also, I can't find any forum where I can post.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 08:13:34 am by Watno »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2014, 09:19:53 am »
+6

It's now possible to post, at least in some places:

http://forum.makingfun.com/showthread.php?4202-So-who-are-you-now
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2014, 09:53:06 am »

It seems I'm not getting the account activation email. do they send those manually?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2014, 09:58:50 am »

It seems I'm not getting the account activation email. do they send those manually?

I doubt it, it showed up instantly for me.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2014, 10:57:15 am »

This is making me wonder if Goko was bought or something. They're moving to a new forum, and on their Facebook page they told someone to instead post questions to the Dominion Online page. This sounds like someone is trying to distance themselves from Goko. At the least, Goko is trying to make Online Dominion less synonymous with Goko.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2014, 11:21:35 am »

At the least, Goko is trying to make Online Dominion less synonymous with Goko.
I wonder why!
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Hks

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: HyenHks
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2014, 12:45:36 pm »

Close down f.ds.? You're kidding, right?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2014, 01:33:46 pm »
+3

Close down f.ds.? You're kidding, right?

I assume so; a poke at the fact that when Goko opened Dominion online, Iso got shut down.

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2014, 04:21:17 pm »
+2

They have the Don...!

Also he is sounding suspiciously ungrouchy....

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2014, 02:42:52 am »
+4

They answered Kirian's post: http://forum.makingfun.com/showthread.php?4202-So-who-are-you-now&p=21634&viewfull=1#post21634

Quote from: Don
All good questions you ask, Kirian. First and foremost, thank you for the thorough summary and courteous and thoughtful post. We receive many comments that aren't nearly as courteous, so we appreciate it.

We are unfortunately unable to answer some of your questions at this time. As soon as we are able to make any announcements, everyone on this forum and the Dominion Online facebook page will be the first to know. I know that's not the answer that anyone wants to hear.

What I can say is that please know that there are many employees who are working behind the scenes to fix the current game stability and login problems, and we collectively have a dedicated team that is working on developing a roadmap for new features and platforms. Dominion Online is alive and well, and will continue to be alive and well in the future. We have assembled a very passionate team (both from the past and new team members) of Dominion fans to work on updates.

Why should you believe me/us? We haven't given you any reasons yet. We need to earn or re-earn your trust and your business. As mentioned previously, we have started by putting resources on fixing the game stability/login problems, and we have made a big cultural change to the way we communicate with you, the players. We've posted more updates on the facebook page over the past week than we had all of last year. We've created a whole new forum with the hopes of creating a better community and a better way of the dev team interacting with players, like this. But this is just the beginning.

We hope everyone continues to play Dominion Online. We hope we get many thousands of new players to play. And we intend to earn everyone's business, one person at a time. This will take time, and there will be doubters and haters, but we are setting our goals high and we plan to meet them. We have a great team that has high hopes of bringing an awesome online Dominion experience to players who love Dominion. We hope many of you will give us a little bit of time and additional patience to earn your trust.

So, assuming that everything Don said is true (and naive as I am, I believe most of it (though the fact that he says that many employees working behind the scenes to solve stability issues is something even I can't believe. OTOH, if even one person works on it part-time, it is more than I expected, so that could be classified as "many")), they found another pile of money to pay some employees with. Maybe they'll finally solve some major problems next couple of months.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2014, 11:48:30 am »
+8

Am I the only one who keeps seeing the name of the new forum, and thinking it's a forum about making fun of Goko?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2014, 11:52:19 am »

Not sure if this was already known, but donald posted in the new forum saying this about the adventures:

So, back when, Goko - which to some degree consisted of different people - had the hope of making money off of the campaigns by getting people to buy zaps (this contradicts what the FAQ says, which is wrong, and man I would know). This was a bad idea that wouldn't work anyway and I gradually convinced them of that. They gave up on it but were busy doing other things. So there are still those zaps and these stupid levels you can't possibly beat without endlessly zapping. They are awful.

They wanted me to put work into fixing up the campaigns and I did. I'm a sucker, what can I say.

The plan is to get rid of the zaps, which just suck the joy out of those games, and add little touches that make things more interesting. In act 3 you will typically have a rule that modifies the game in some exciting way; they were programmed and I tested them, in an off-site version, as if yes they would really be used someday. Some games will vary the starting hands in some interesting way, but none of them do the stupid thing that's currently there. I also overhauled the main set sets-of-10, including sprinkling in expansion cards, so that those games wouldn't get too repetitive.

Last I heard this was still the plan, that work was not going to be wasted. Until they either fix the campaigns or say "no we are keeping the bad campaigns lol," I would put off playing the campaigns. Someday they might be fun, why not wait for that. You don't need the promos just yet. And if they never fix them, I sure wouldn't grind through them.

If you are desperate to get at least one promo, you can play the first few levels of each campaign act 1, before it starts giving the bots 3 Provinces to start. Dark Ages Act 3 was changed to fit an intermediate plan but the other acts weren't; you can play through that act on your two free zaps, since it only goes up to Silver/Province/Duchy and the two-Duchy lead is beatable. And then while Prosperity Act 1 is crazy, you can actually beat most levels with good play, largely on the back of VP tokens.

I gotta say, I find the prospect of rules that modify the game in an exciting way to be, well, exciting! It's cool that even though we may not be seeing many new Kingdom cards, there may still be new Dominion experiences to be had. I would love to see the option of turning on these rules in multiplayer games as well, if they lend themselves to that.

I remember that at one time there were going to be card-specific achievements. I'd love to see those as well. Finally, I hope Goko decides to implement the online-specific promo card that Donald offered them last October. Assuming they're going to attempt to implement the new physical promo, they could do both of them at once.

I gotta say, the prospect there would actually being a snowball's chance in hell of achieving all of the promos should be a drastic improvement.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 20 queries.