Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Did something good happen?  (Read 53479 times)

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
Re: Did something good happen?
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2014, 10:02:55 pm »
+11

The new forum will surely have mafia! it will just be much much worse.

You can play with just cop and doctor for free, and need to buy any other role. For combinations of roles, you need to play through the mafia-adventures.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2014, 08:55:53 am »

Anyone else notice Dominion Online liked their own status? Isn't that like a Facebook Faux Pas?

I read about how Facebook's algorithm displays stories partially on in the interest in them. So by Liking your own status, you increase its "buzz" (for lack of a better word since I'm tired).

Now, whether Dominion Online did this for exactly that reason or as a misguided attempt to look cool to others I leave to the audience to determine.
A man has no signature

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2014, 09:20:02 am »
+4

I read about how Facebook's algorithm displays stories partially on in the interest in them. So by Liking your own status, you increase its "buzz" (for lack of a better word since I'm tired).

Now, whether Dominion Online did this for exactly that reason or as a misguided attempt to look cool to others I leave to the audience to determine.

my guess was that the person in charge of social media went to like it on their personal account but hadn't logged out of Goko's account.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2014, 10:58:45 am »
+3

my guess was that the person in charge of social media went to like it on their personal account but hadn't logged out of Goko's account.

Which is insanely easy to do by accident. Facebook makes it very difficult to easily switch between them.

I once changed an organization's picture to my own headshot by mistake. The most hilariously accidentally egotistical mistake ever.

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2014, 11:34:22 am »
+1

i don't understand why it is possible to "like" your own posts.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2014, 12:08:54 pm »

i don't understand why it is possible to "like" your own posts.
It is easier for the developer and they don't need to explain it to users.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2014, 01:18:08 pm »

Which is insanely easy to do by accident. Facebook makes it very difficult to easily switch between them.

I once changed an organization's picture to my own headshot by mistake. The most hilariously accidentally egotistical mistake ever.
I think it's easy enough to switch between the pages you administrate and your own profile. In fact, by default it's even easier than it should be and whenever you like or comment something on your own page, it shows up as a comment or a like by that page. You have to manually disable this option if you want to comment and like things as yourself.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2014, 01:39:09 pm »

Yeah, my facebook page its incredibly easy to switch between them. And to see which one I am on.

At the very top of the page it says

"You are posting, commenting and liking as Taking Back The Internet For Geeks — Change to Ozle"   and Ozle is a link that will change it.
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

elahrairah13

• Spy
  • Respect: +73
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2014, 05:40:44 pm »

it gets more complicated on a mobile device

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2014, 06:25:44 pm »

it gets more complicated on a mobile device

Have you installed Facebook Pages?

Which is what I believe is thier official way of content managing pages from mobile devices.

However, I seriously doubt Goko are doing all thier work from a mobile...wait hang on, this IS Goko...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 06:26:49 pm by Ozle »

Emeric

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Emeric
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2014, 04:42:23 am »
+6

in response to one of my comments, they just indicate that they added to their wishlist removing the limit of 50 players per room.

Incredible !

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2014, 03:57:12 pm »
+4

They could at least put it on their to-do list.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2014, 04:18:29 pm »
+3

The new forum is up: http://forum.makingfun.com/forumdisplay.php?78-Dominion-Online

Anyone want to come play forum games there?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2014, 04:32:00 pm »
+8

"Making Fun"

They're now just writing the jokes for us, huh?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2014, 04:36:33 pm »

The new forum is up: http://forum.makingfun.com/forumdisplay.php?78-Dominion-Online

It's tempting to go and visit them....

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2014, 05:33:09 pm »
+2

"Making Fun"

Just wait until they start explaining the jokes for us as well!
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2014, 05:33:34 pm »
+3

"Making Fun"

What do you mean? Why would they do that?

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2014, 05:40:25 pm »
+2

Instructions on how to play the online version of your favorite strategy card game and answers to our most frequently asked questions.

Now I can finally get to grips with Harry Potter Uno!

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2014, 05:47:13 pm »
+9

"Making Fun"

I think the jokes are probably too complicated to explain. I mean, jokes can't be written down in a formula.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2014, 07:22:34 pm »
+8

Not sure if this was already known, but donald posted in the new forum saying this about the adventures:

So, back when, Goko - which to some degree consisted of different people - had the hope of making money off of the campaigns by getting people to buy zaps (this contradicts what the FAQ says, which is wrong, and man I would know). This was a bad idea that wouldn't work anyway and I gradually convinced them of that. They gave up on it but were busy doing other things. So there are still those zaps and these stupid levels you can't possibly beat without endlessly zapping. They are awful.

They wanted me to put work into fixing up the campaigns and I did. I'm a sucker, what can I say.

The plan is to get rid of the zaps, which just suck the joy out of those games, and add little touches that make things more interesting. In act 3 you will typically have a rule that modifies the game in some exciting way; they were programmed and I tested them, in an off-site version, as if yes they would really be used someday. Some games will vary the starting hands in some interesting way, but none of them do the stupid thing that's currently there. I also overhauled the main set sets-of-10, including sprinkling in expansion cards, so that those games wouldn't get too repetitive.

Last I heard this was still the plan, that work was not going to be wasted. Until they either fix the campaigns or say "no we are keeping the bad campaigns lol," I would put off playing the campaigns. Someday they might be fun, why not wait for that. You don't need the promos just yet. And if they never fix them, I sure wouldn't grind through them.

If you are desperate to get at least one promo, you can play the first few levels of each campaign act 1, before it starts giving the bots 3 Provinces to start. Dark Ages Act 3 was changed to fit an intermediate plan but the other acts weren't; you can play through that act on your two free zaps, since it only goes up to Silver/Province/Duchy and the two-Duchy lead is beatable. And then while Prosperity Act 1 is crazy, you can actually beat most levels with good play, largely on the back of VP tokens.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2014, 08:21:55 pm »
+2

Or just play enough multiplayer to buy a few thousand zaps, and win like that.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2014, 08:32:52 pm »

So I've registered over there, and I'm planning to ask them basically "OK, who are you now, really?"  Because I'm not sure if any of the original staff are still there.  It likely won't happen for another couple of days though.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2014, 09:52:24 pm »

Apparently there are already 10499 members there.  That was fast.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2014, 09:57:56 pm »
+1

Not sure if this was already known, but donald posted in the new forum saying this about the adventures:

So, back when, Goko - which to some degree consisted of different people - had the hope of making money off of the campaigns by getting people to buy zaps (this contradicts what the FAQ says, which is wrong, and man I would know). This was a bad idea that wouldn't work anyway and I gradually convinced them of that. They gave up on it but were busy doing other things. So there are still those zaps and these stupid levels you can't possibly beat without endlessly zapping. They are awful.

They wanted me to put work into fixing up the campaigns and I did. I'm a sucker, what can I say.

The plan is to get rid of the zaps, which just suck the joy out of those games, and add little touches that make things more interesting. In act 3 you will typically have a rule that modifies the game in some exciting way; they were programmed and I tested them, in an off-site version, as if yes they would really be used someday. Some games will vary the starting hands in some interesting way, but none of them do the stupid thing that's currently there. I also overhauled the main set sets-of-10, including sprinkling in expansion cards, so that those games wouldn't get too repetitive.

Last I heard this was still the plan, that work was not going to be wasted. Until they either fix the campaigns or say "no we are keeping the bad campaigns lol," I would put off playing the campaigns. Someday they might be fun, why not wait for that. You don't need the promos just yet. And if they never fix them, I sure wouldn't grind through them.

If you are desperate to get at least one promo, you can play the first few levels of each campaign act 1, before it starts giving the bots 3 Provinces to start. Dark Ages Act 3 was changed to fit an intermediate plan but the other acts weren't; you can play through that act on your two free zaps, since it only goes up to Silver/Province/Duchy and the two-Duchy lead is beatable. And then while Prosperity Act 1 is crazy, you can actually beat most levels with good play, largely on the back of VP tokens.

I gotta say, I find the prospect of rules that modify the game in an exciting way to be, well, exciting! It's cool that even though we may not be seeing many new Kingdom cards, there may still be new Dominion experiences to be had. I would love to see the option of turning on these rules in multiplayer games as well, if they lend themselves to that.

I remember that at one time there were going to be card-specific achievements. I'd love to see those as well. Finally, I hope Goko decides to implement the online-specific promo card that Donald offered them last October. Assuming they're going to attempt to implement the new physical promo, they could do both of them at once.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2014, 09:58:02 pm »

Apparently there are already 10499 members there.  That was fast.

This new company seems to have several other games in their stable, and most of those members seem to be linked via Facebook.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 20 queries.