Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Author Topic: Did something good happen?  (Read 53467 times)

Dekryr

• Baron
  • Respect: +21
    • View Profile
Re: Did something good happen?
« Reply #150 on: March 14, 2014, 11:45:15 am »

Previously, I couldn't log in from the Mac computers at school. Now I was depressed enough to try it out again and it actually works!

I too was depressed enough to try this again. Unfortunately, I can't log in in at all. According to the MakingFun forums Donald X hasn't been able to login in since the big patch (I hadn't tried logging for months so I don't know if it's related to the patch for me or not). After a week or so I find now that you can "fix" it by downloading the latest version of Firefox (I haven't tried that and probably won't. If they can only get it to work on 1 web browser, then I won't give them any of my time much less money.)

So to answer the OP's question: No, nothing good happening for me. I am giving up on these people again, I would like to say it will be for good, but I know that in a few months I'll come back to make another attempt and discover what new ways they have screwed up online Dominion.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 14, 2014, 12:26:56 pm »
+1

It can't just be the one browser, though. It works fine for me on Chrome and has been for a while.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 14, 2014, 02:01:08 pm »

It works for me in both FF 27.0.1 and Chrome... whatever version I have.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Dekryr

• Baron
  • Respect: +21
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 14, 2014, 04:08:48 pm »

It can't just be the one browser, though. It works fine for me on Chrome and has been for a while.

Just telling you what MakingFun told me.

http://forum.makingfun.com/showthread.php?4279-Login-Problem

116 or so posts over a month. Seems to be a real issue. Donald X has multiple posts saying that he can't use chrome. I've tried the regular stuff. It shouldn't be this hard to try to use their product. I can play other games without jumping through any hoops.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 14, 2014, 04:23:43 pm »

I definitly agree that it's a real issue and that it should be fixed by now. I just wish I had some clue as to why it doesn't work. I sympathize with MakingFun because I'm guessing they're banging their heads against the wall, trying desperately to replicate this issue.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 14, 2014, 06:11:32 pm »
+6

I have XP with Chrome, and at MakingFun they tried multiple machines with XP and Chrome and it worked fine for them.

It is some https issue; Chrome is pickier than Firefox in some way, such that Firefox works but Chrome doesn't, on particular machines. I believe most people have no problem, but obv. some do. Fixing it is obv. a high priority.

MakingFun inherited code from Goko and are trying to fix it up. I wouldn't give up on them just yet.

The lag is a bug, rather than the result of lots of traffic.

jl8e

• Steward
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 15, 2014, 12:53:37 am »
+6

MakingFun inherited code from Goko and are trying to fix it up. I wouldn't give up on them just yet.

I don’t envy them their job; working with preexisting code is often harder than writing it from scratch would’ve been, and the worse the code is, the more painful the job gets.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 15, 2014, 10:29:24 am »
+2

I don’t envy them their job; working with preexisting code is often harder than writing it from scratch would’ve been, and the worse the code is, the more painful the job gets.

Either the code is not THAT bad or they are making bad decisions NOT writing it from scratch. The system to play Dominion is not that difficult, it should be doable pretty fast if you have competent staff (barring the payment system, that may have security intricacies I know nothing about).

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 15, 2014, 12:06:43 pm »
+4

Either the code is not THAT bad or they are making bad decisions NOT writing it from scratch. The system to play Dominion is not that difficult, it should be doable pretty fast if you have competent staff (barring the payment system, that may have security intricacies I know nothing about).

I suspect there are developers at MakingFun who have been screaming this at their managers for weeks.
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 15, 2014, 12:12:30 pm »

It would still take them a fair bit of time to do that, and then people would still not be able to play well.  They need to fix the current problems before that.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 15, 2014, 06:04:17 pm »

It would still take them a fair bit of time to do that, and then people would still not be able to play well.  They need to fix the current problems before that.

They could have just the immediate things and leave it working while they build a new working system, IF they are planning on ending at some point with good service. Just putting patch over patch will never solve structural problems (under the assumption that there are some). And the amount of coding hours it takes to build a new system should easily be less than the amount of hours to correct all problems if the code is really bad.

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 15, 2014, 07:38:52 pm »
+17

They could have just the immediate things and leave it working while they build a new working system, IF they are planning on ending at some point with good service. Just putting patch over patch will never solve structural problems (under the assumption that there are some). And the amount of coding hours it takes to build a new system should easily be less than the amount of hours to correct all problems if the code is really bad.

Yes, there is a deep-rooted structural problem with the code.  It's not possible to permanently resolve the current symptoms without rewriting the whole client.

Like most Javascript applications, the client code runs in lots of parallel threads.  But unlike most good JS applications, those threads pay almost no attention to the state of the threads around them.  When the threads all happen to resolve in just the right order, your login works and your game launches.  But then you log in from Chrome instead of Firefox, one of the threads runs just a little slower, and you get a black screen instead.

Imagine a dozen elves assembling a bicycle without knowing which part needs to be attached first.  Each elf just runs up to the frame and attaches the part he's holding.  Sometimes the elves all arrive in the right order and you get a bicycle... but sometimes an elf tries to attach the chain before his buddy attaches the gears, gets pissed off, and murders the other elves and burns down the bicycle shop.

What users perceive as a single, fixable error (e.g. black screen when loading a game) is actually the common symptom of a dozen different potential problems.  Which one is bothering you today depends on your network connection, the relative latency of the apparently 29 different servers that Goko is running, and even seemingly irrelevant issues like whether you're using http or https.  Remember back when the Goko's devs would insist that they couldn't reproduce a bug, or would suggest "fixes" like disabling your router's firewall?

So they could find and fix every place where problems are happening today -- and don't think that it's easy to understand or debug this kind of asynchronous callback spaghetti -- but the same symptoms would emerge again in a couple weeks, when some unrelated hardware change exposes the next section of fragile code.  Rewriting every section of code where one thread depends on others basically means rewriting every important thing the client does.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 02:35:23 pm by ragingduckd »
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 16, 2014, 12:09:46 am »

Is their code that open that you've been able to peer into it Andrew?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 16, 2014, 12:32:51 am »

Is their code that open that you've been able to peer into it Andrew?

Yeah, it's unobfuscated Javascript... not officially open-source, but anyone who uses the client can see all the source code.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 16, 2014, 07:36:28 am »
+7

I bet we have spent longer discussing the code here than all the developers put together...
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 21 queries.