Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Author Topic: An attempt to determine what kind of behavior is badmanner and what isn't  (Read 50626 times)

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
Re: An attempt to determine what kind of behavior is badmanner and what isn't
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2014, 01:23:30 am »

There are at least two trolls in the thread.  Much different styles though.

Edit: also I suppose this depends on your definition of troll.
That sounds like a riddle! What other information do we get? ;D

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2014, 05:17:07 am »
+1

Do not ask for whom the bell trolls.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

LuciferousPeridot

• Bishop
  • Respect: +201
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2014, 05:49:39 am »
+1

This discussion has confused me!

As nearly all players use 'gg' after each game, regardless of actual game  quality, I started using it in the 'thanks for the game' sense which I assumed others were as well. I'm horrified that people would think I am mocking them on the rare occasions I win and 'gg'.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3228
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2014, 06:16:44 am »

Either way, I think it's wrong to expect your enemy to be okay with you winning, irrespective of how you played, since you can't know how hard he takes the loss. If you really need it, you can silently think gg to yourself.

Of course I expect my opponent to be okay with me winning. If he can't handle a loss he shouldn't be playing.

Why? Because you are congratulating yourself for winning, and even more, you are asking your enemy to agree with you, by writing gg himself.

First and foremost, my opponent is never my enemy. I have come across opponents who are really unpleasant to play with, but I'll just blacklist them and never give them a second thought. Framing your opponent as an enemy and a game as a fight you have to win might well be the cause of this whole antagonistic under-current in your post.

And by saying "gg" I'm not congratulating myself, I'm just shaking your hand out of politeness.

What I mostly do is avoid this situation by leaving early (I tend to resign games >90% when I'm losing)

I think leaving early without saying anything, provided that you have the ability to chat and are not in some sort of multi-game session where it's understood that you meet again right away, is pretty bad, a bit like suddenly turning around and walking away in the middle of a conversation.

I think the problem you are having is that you lack different perspectives. you apparently never lose self-control due to losses - which itself is certainly a good thing -, and you instinctivally expect your opponent to be fine with losing also. However, not everyone will stay as collected as you. I have a history of destroying my headset (which by the way was pretty expensive) twice, and my chair once due to anger after losing sc2 matches. Playing as much as I did has helped a lot to improve my self control, to the point where I am now. But on the way I have learned that you if your opponent is mad after losing, just leave him alone. Expecting anything from him in this moment is short sided, arrogant and very insensitive.

I've played poker professionally for a number of years, during which I've seen more brands and varieties of this sort of behaviour—both in myself and in others—than you can probably imagine. One can see a grown man completely lose his mind when the river brings the Queen rather than the Ace of spades only so many times before you realize how utterly ridiculous it is. I've banged my fist on the table in response to a card I did not like more than once, but decided at some point to stop tolerating this sort of nonsense from myself and instead mock it with playful ridicule, thereby transforming the frustration into laughter, and, over time, gradually reducing its incidence.

Yet where I can definitely sympathize with frustration after losing (especially after losing multiple games in a row), being offended by a simple social nicety that you know is expressed in good faith is so completely incomprehensible to me that I can't help but consider it a maladjustment. If you really can't handle a simple "gg" I recommend as much exposure therapy as possible until it's no longer a big deal to you. I mean, presumably at some point in your life you took the monstrous leap of courage to venture outside of your safe, familiar house, despite the risk of a sudden breeze ruffling your exposed skin in a somewhat unpleasant manner. And, presumably, you derived a number of great, unanticipated benefits from this daring adventure—and if not, at least your skin grew slightly thicker.

In a way, you are a perfect representation of literally everything that I've been trying to fight and overcome in the past years considering manners in gaming, even conserning structure and ways of argumentation. The fact that you are not lacking context makes it 100 times more despicable than I originally thought. Not only are you arrogant enough to look down on others due to superior experience and self control, despite having seen countless examples of people who have a way harder time keeping their emotions in check, you are even trying to have your posts in this very thread be recognized as something superior to mine, by having better grammar, be it deliberately or unconsciously.

Thus, I'm going to love and tolerate you even more <3 Everyone can be reformed.

Quote from: dondon157
Quote from: Aiden Millow
    Also, there's another item of potential 'bad form' that could be mentioned here.

7: Complaining about luck
Honestly I occasionally do this myself and then usually apologise as I'm sure that it is bad form. It does get frustrating when you lose because of luck but dominion is a game where this happens.

I think it's fine to complain about luck when it's justified and when it's kind of tongue in cheek. It's certainly possible to point out bad luck without strongly complaining about it.

well, as i said earlier, people do this a lot and i think it's pretty stupid, but i never had a real problem with it, mainly because if people do complain about luck, it's always after they lost, and then I'm usually in really good mood and just answer somehing like "dude if i had gotten 1 gokoin for every time I lost a game because of bad luck, I could afford all promos by now"

I'll add it to the opening post anyway. 'cus why not.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2014, 07:40:21 am »
+3

Wait youre not supposed to write gg after winning now?? Man goko changed everything

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2014, 09:01:15 am »
+2

It may be that saying gg first when you win in other games is meant to be an insult. Those communities are unusual. It is not true in Dominion and it is not true in the English language in general.

gg literally means it was a "good game." That's what you would type if someone asks you, "What does gg mean?"

Not literally it is a handshake or a polite "thanks for playing a game with me." Communities where the norm turns the literal phrase into its opposite need to explain themselves, not the majority of ones that allow for games to be good whether you win or lose. Starcraft has gotten silly with this. gg evolved to mean "I resign" followed by an actual resignation. Makes sense for a real time strategy. Somwhow that morphed into it's only polite meaning, so a winner can't gg without mockingly suggest he's saying "I resign. HAHA ACTUALLY I WON!!" It's silly and I won't give in to establishing that norm anywhere else. In fact, I can't think of another community (gaming or not) where a short, sportsman-like compliment or thank you from the winner to the loser is viewed an insult. 

OP is arguing not for understanding but for a reversal of a very reasonable community norm in a non-Starcraft community. Sorry, that's not going to happen.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2014, 09:09:33 am »
+13

All in all, I think people care way too much.

Most of the times, the "bad manners" are not intentional. If they are, your opponent is likely upset and will feel bad about it later when he cools off. If not, your opponent is a jerk, and why should you care?

In any case, you don't really gain anything from taking offense.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2014, 10:16:07 am »
+6

In a way, you are a perfect representation of literally everything that I've been trying to fight and overcome in the past years considering manners in gaming

In the war of emotions only two parties are ever involved: you and yourself. The only way to win this battle is to stop fighting. Once you truly realize this and come to peace with yourself, you will cease to feel the need to reform others in order to accommodate your own deficiencies.

The fact that you are not lacking context makes it 100 times more despicable than I originally thought.

Be honest with yourself: how did you feel while writing this sentence? You may think you're slinging pointed arrows at me (de-spic-a-ble), but in reality they are boomerangs that leave me unperturbed and only intensify your own anger.

Not only are you arrogant enough to look down on others due to superior experience and self control

It's easy to misconstrue as arrogance my refusal to hand out yet another warm blanket to confirm someone in his self-pity, but that's just not what people need. Emotional management is a skill like any other, and asking for sympathy for or whining about lacking it or having less of a natural proclivity towards it than some others isn't going to make you any better.

despite having seen countless examples of people who have a way harder time keeping their emotions in check

Trying to keep your emotions in check is the very core of the problem, as it presupposes that (part of) your emotions are bad, undesirable and worth fighting against. The ultimate key to emotional management is really a kind of non-management: to embrace your feelings as they arise, fully and unconditionally. By relinquishing resistance their power dissipates, and whatever part of it remains will then align itself with your intentions. Practicing it is certainly not easy (I'm probably closer in skill to you than to a Buddhist monk), but what that's really worth learning ever is?

A book that I really would love to have been published years earlier but that I nevertheless found useful is The Mental Game of Poker.

I have more to say about the topic and if you're truly interested in learning rather than just perpetuating an unproductive victim-mentality, I'm happy to talk about it via pm.

you are even trying to have your posts in this very thread be recognized as something superior to mine, by having better grammar, be it deliberately or unconsciously.

Man that would feel SO great to receive that kind of recognition, like, I'd be calling up my English high-school teacher right away to tell him how I won this big grammar battle of the non-natives on some internet forum, that'd be even better than beating Germany in the team WC finals :P

Thus, I'm going to love and tolerate you even more <3 Everyone can be reformed.

Cool, let's make some babies!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2014, 10:53:23 am »

Ill Gotten Gains, and Venture.

Thus clues will only make sense to someone who already knows how they make sense, so gl hf with that.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2014, 02:45:51 pm »
+1

All in all, I think people care way too much.

Most of the times, the "bad manners" are not intentional. If they are, your opponent is likely upset and will feel bad about it later when he cools off. If not, your opponent is a jerk, and why should you care?

In any case, you don't really gain anything from taking offense.

Bad manners being unintentional doesn't excuse them from being bad.

Slyfox

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +78
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2014, 02:24:57 am »
+6

Did anyone else playing little-league baseball (or similar sports) in which after the game the two teams lined up and then walked by each player saying "good game" to each as you sort of hand slapped or hand shake each player on the other team?  To me, that is what saying "gg" is.  A sort of ritualistic hand shake after the game is over.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2014, 09:28:08 am »
+4

Did anyone else playing little-league baseball (or similar sports) in which after the game the two teams lined up and then walked by each player saying "good game" to each as you sort of hand slapped or hand shake each player on the other team?  To me, that is what saying "gg" is.  A sort of ritualistic hand shake after the game is over.

Can confirm this is done in adult kickball leagues

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2014, 10:08:49 am »
+3

I'm impressed (and slightly jealous) that you can confirm that there are adult kickball leagues where you are...

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2014, 11:05:38 am »
+1

In England football league managers always shake hands after a game, unless there has been something particularily controversial going on
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2014, 11:12:45 am »
+1

I'm impressed (and slightly jealous) that you can confirm that there are adult kickball leagues where you are...

Oh, all of us in the mafia community can definitely confirm it.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2014, 02:39:17 pm »

Ill Gotten Gains, and Venture.

Thus clues will only make sense to someone who already knows how they make sense, so gl hf with that.

Venture? But I haven't even started trolling this thread yet.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2014, 03:41:32 pm »
+1

I did. I never really understood that. It all seemed too contrived and artificial.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2014, 04:43:42 pm »

They also do that in Soccer/Football. And Hockey. Not sure about American Football.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2014, 05:25:13 pm »
+3

They also do that in Soccer/Football. And Hockey. Not sure about American Football.

In American football, the winning team eats the losing team.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2014, 08:38:06 pm »
+2

(Long Post)

I just want to say that I had a difficult experience today (not related to Dominion or games), and found your advice here helpful.
Well you *do* need a signature...

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2014, 09:59:03 pm »

And tennis. And not just little league tennis.

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2014, 03:39:22 am »

Tennis. Don't talk to me about bloody tennis. I live in Melbourne. I just can't get away from people talking tennis at this time of year. No, I don't care about Serena Bloody Williams.

No I won't shake you hand.

elahrairah13

• Spy
  • Respect: +73
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2014, 09:14:03 am »
+3

I just said "gg, thanks for the game" because of this thread.

Best of both worlds?  Or worst of both worlds?

Automatch proposed a second game between the other player and I and he rejected it... maybe it was my breath.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 09:15:30 am by elahrairah13 »

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2014, 12:15:27 pm »

Yet where I can definitely sympathize with frustration after losing (especially after losing multiple games in a row), being offended by a simple social nicety that you know is expressed in good faith is so completely incomprehensible to me that I can't help but consider it a maladjustment. If you really can't handle a simple "gg" I recommend as much exposure therapy as possible until it's no longer a big deal to you.

The problem here is that some people actually can't handle it for whatever psychological reason. Telling someone to deal with a parting remark is in some cases almost like telling someone to stop being depressed.
If you're saying that there are people in this thread who "can't handle" "gg" in the sense of mental illness, I disagree.  There are people here who find it rude and don't like it, which is hardly the same thing.  One does not simply cater to people who find your behavior unpleasant.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 12:16:55 pm by flies »
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2014, 01:14:16 pm »
+1

If you're saying that there are people in this thread who "can't handle" "gg" in the sense of mental illness, I disagree.  There are people here who find it rude and don't like it, which is hardly the same thing.  One does not simply cater to people who find your behavior unpleasant.

Care to support your assertion? Not a single person, ever has a mental pathology that causes him to behave with unsportsmanlike conduct?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.