Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Ambassador and Ruins  (Read 2359 times)

elahrairah13

• Spy
  • Respect: +73
    • View Profile
Ambassador and Ruins
« on: January 15, 2014, 09:16:03 pm »

I was under the impression that revealing a Ruins with Ambassador did not return it to the supply and/or give a copy to your opponent.

(Dark Ages is one of the two sets I do not currently own so I can't check the hardcopy rulebook about whether Ruins counts as in the supply or not)

But I just played a Goko game with Marauder / Ambassador. I was able to return Ruins to the supply on multiple occasions and give them back to my opponent.

My brain remembers something like "only works if the top ruin in the pile is the same one you're trying to return", but it seems unlikely that it worked perfectly for me in such a way. And I don't know how to view a Goko log once I've clicked away.

Enlightenment, please?
And edge case away, by all means.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: Ambassador and Ruins
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 09:23:08 pm »
+2

You can't return SHELTERS since they are not in the supply.

You can return Ruins and send them to opponents, but if there are more than 2 players, there is a caveat.  You can only pass out same-named ruins that are on top of the pile.  So if you're playing with 3 players and return a Survivors, your Survivors returns to the top of the Ruins stack, the next player gets a Survivors, but the one after him only gets Survivors if another Survivors is the next ruin.  Similarly, if you name Survivors but do not return it, nothing happens unless another Survivors is on top of the pile. (that is true in 2 player also)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 09:24:42 pm by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

PSGarak

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +160
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 09:48:52 pm »
+1

The point you're missing is that when you return your Ruin to the Supply, it goes on top. Now the top card of the Ruins pile is the same as the one that you revealed, and your opponent can gain it.

If you did not return your Ruins card, of if you have more than one opponent, then the top Ruins card may not be the same as the one you revealed, and if not, your opponent(s) do(es) not gain it.

More generally: Looter cards say "Gain a Ruins" which makes you gain the card on top of the Ruins pile. The specific wording means that it is agnostic to which Ruins is present. All non-Looter cards like Ambassador that name a specific card, do not consider Ruins together as a class, they consider the 5 Ruins as totally distinct. Ruined Village is not "a copy of" Ruined Mine, and so forth. So, if you are somehow forced to gain a Ruined Village, you can only do so if Ruined Village is on top of the Ruins pile. Non-top cards are not considered In The Supply, and you cannot dig through them. Such an effect would fizzle as if you revealed a card whose pile is empty.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 10:55:52 pm »

Ruins are a Supply card - you can buy them with coins without having to play Black Market. As such, Ambassador can return them to the Supply, whereas it can't do so for non-Supply cards like Shelters, Spoils, Prizes, and the like. However, like others have explained, players then gain copies of the card that was returned, so if you returned an Abandoned Mine the next player will gain that but if the next Ruin is Survivors then the 3rd player doesn't get anything.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 05:54:17 am »

Of course, if you happen to have a lucky hand of Ambassador and 2 Survivors, you could return 2 Survivors and your opponent(s) would have to take it/them.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 20 queries.