Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Gendered pronouns  (Read 19266 times)

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
Re: Gendered pronouns
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2014, 04:28:44 pm »
+4

Should we change the name of that subforum to RSPG or relegate grammar to its own subforum? I think the latter would be better as we don't want RSP debates becoming too heated.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2014, 04:30:09 pm »
+3

Can we bring back the "literally" debate. That one was literally an exploding birthday cake of fun.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2014, 04:30:23 pm »
+1

Should we change the name of that subforum to RSPG or relegate grammar to its own subforum? I think the latter would be better as we don't want RSP debates becoming too heated.
English grammar should be a subforum of Dominion rulings, since it is very important under Donald's "no errata ever" system.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2014, 04:43:13 pm »

I'm still not completely used to having different pronouns for males and females, so I use whatever I happen to use. Usually it's he, but if I remember to pay attention, I will use they.

Does Finnish not have gendered pronouns?
It doesn't.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2014, 04:54:05 pm »

I'm still not completely used to having different pronouns for males and females, so I use whatever I happen to use. Usually it's he, but if I remember to pay attention, I will use they.

It doesn't.

Interesting!  I learned something new today.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2014, 05:25:58 pm »

This is actually worse than RSP, this is grammar.

Everything is worse than S. Not a lot is worse than R. P, it is somewhat in the middle I guess.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2014, 05:29:49 pm »

It doesn't.

Interesting!  I learned something new today.

Chinese uses a bit of a hack -- it has gendered pronouns but they are homonyms (or more technically, maybe polysemes).  So although the problem is present in writing (where it uses the chauvinistic solution), it is not an issue in speech.  And even in writing, the new Internet trend is just to use the phoneticization as the gender-neutral pronoun.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2014, 05:32:53 pm »

Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2014, 05:44:58 pm »
+1

Quite clearly an easy test to determine this, pretty sure I have covered this before:

Are they posting on an internet forum: If Yes, then Male

There are no girls on the internet
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2014, 05:53:07 pm »

"They"/"them"/"their" are acceptable in the meanwhile.

I will use he/she or bend over backwards to avoid using pronouns altogether before I will use they/them/their when referring to a single entity.
Then you are very silly.

Ozle, did anyone even think that joke was funny ten years ago?
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2014, 06:02:27 pm »
+2

I will use he/she or bend over backwards to avoid using pronouns altogether before I will use they/them/their when referring to a single entity.
Then you are very silly.

I have no idea, I only found out about this internet thing about 18 months ago. They really should tel more people about it!

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2014, 06:16:28 pm »
+1

Then you are very silly.

I have no idea, I only found out about this internet thing about 18 months ago. They really should tel more people about it!

On the internet, nobody knows he's a dog.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2014, 06:33:13 pm »
+4

Then you are very silly.

Dude, from what I've read of it, that article is not telling me to stop going out of my way not to use plural pronouns to refer to singular entities. It's telling me not to correct or judge other people when they do use those pronouns that way. I already don't correct or judge people when they do that. Did my post say that "I will use he/she or bend over backwards to avoid using pronouns altogether before I will use they/them/their when referring to a single entity AND IF YOU DON'T, YOU ARE WRONG!?" No, it did not. You're the one correcting me!  ;D

I also don't drink. I don't have any religious reason for this. Nobody in my family is an alcoholic. It's just something I don't generally do. I've had probably less than 20 alcoholic drinks in my 31 years of life, and I've never been drunk. I don't know what I'm like when I'm drunk, but I don't particularly care to find out. Some people assume that because I refuse alcohol, I'm judging them for drinking it. Man, I am not judging you for drinking. Have fun! Do whatever's right for you. I'll keep doing what's right for me.

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2014, 06:37:39 pm »

I also don't drink. I don't have any religious reason for this. Nobody in my family is an alcoholic. It's just something I don't generally do. I've had probably less than 20 alcoholic drinks in my 31 years of life, and I've never been drunk. I don't know what I'm like when I'm drunk, but I don't particularly care to find out. Some people assume that because I refuse alcohol, I'm judging them for drinking it. Man, I am not judging you for drinking. Have fun! Do whatever's right for you. I'll keep doing what's right for me.
Wow, this exactly describes me (if you replace 20 by 2 and 31 by 23). Are you future me?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2014, 06:40:47 pm »

Wow, this exactly describes me (if you replace 20 by 2 and 31 by 23). Are you future me?

Amusingly, this is also me, except with the values "less than one" and 35.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2014, 06:42:46 pm »
+9

Wow this also exactly describes me (if you replace the 20 drinks with 'too many to count' and the 'I'm not judging you' with 'I am judging you')

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2014, 06:45:20 pm »
+7

This is actually worse than RSP, this is grammar.

Everything is worse than S. Not a lot is worse than R. P, it is somewhat in the middle I guess.

Actually, you are playing it wrong.
Paper is indeed worse than Scissors, but Rock crushes it completely.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2014, 07:31:37 pm »
+3

Can we bring back the "literally" debate. That one was literally an exploding birthday cake of fun.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2014, 08:46:05 pm »

I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2014, 08:48:51 pm »

Then you are very silly.

Dude, from what I've read of it, that article is not telling me to stop going out of my way not to use plural pronouns to refer to singular entities. It's telling me not to correct or judge other people when they do use those pronouns that way. I already don't correct or judge people when they do that. Did my post say that "I will use he/she or bend over backwards to avoid using pronouns altogether before I will use they/them/their when referring to a single entity AND IF YOU DON'T, YOU ARE WRONG!?" No, it did not. You're the one correcting me!  ;D

I don't know how LastFootnote even found out about my drinking habits but he is making me uncomfortable with his implied criticisms of my lifestyle

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2014, 09:15:27 pm »

Chinese uses a bit of a hack -- it has gendered pronouns but they are homonyms (or more technically, maybe polysemes).  So although the problem is present in writing (where it uses the chauvinistic solution), it is not an issue in speech.  And even in writing, the new Internet trend is just to use the phoneticization as the gender-neutral pronoun.

To put it another way, Chinese doesn't have gendered pronouns, but the writing system allows you to distinguish gender on pronouns where the language itself doesn't.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2014, 01:06:10 am »

To put it another way, Chinese doesn't have gendered pronouns, but the writing system allows you to distinguish gender on pronouns where the language itself doesn't.

Huh. I remember that you're a linguist. Are you saying that writing systems are not considered by linguists to be part of the language. I never realized that.

Also, Theory, might we get this grammar discussion split into a separate thread?
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2014, 01:20:08 am »

Is it common for languages to have no gendered pronouns whatsoever, like in Finnish?

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2014, 05:35:53 am »

AND IF YOU DON'T, YOU ARE WRONG!?" No,
Indeed, you aren't "wrong", just silly. There's a big difference - Morecambe and Wise are wrong, and Monty Python are silly.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2014, 06:29:33 am »

Is it common for languages to have no gendered pronouns whatsoever, like in Finnish?

I don't know, but I'd note that Finnish is a very, very weird language. UNlike the overwhelming majority of European langauages, it is not in the Indo-European family (basically the only other European language that isn't is magyar/hungarian). So it could be an outlier. As far as I know, all latin and anglo-saxon languages have gendered pronouns.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 21 queries.