Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Weird "Adventure" Mode  (Read 10905 times)

geelpete

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Weird "Adventure" Mode
« on: January 13, 2014, 05:59:55 pm »

I'm playing through Goko's "Adventure" mode with just the base set, in order to see if I want to plunk down my cash on a product which may or may not maintain availability.  I notice a whole lotta witches in "Act I," then when I started playing through Act II, the flavor text mentioned witches but the cards rarely appeared.  Also, Act II seems easier than Act I, which may mean I'm honing my skills a bit.  But did anyone else notice this?  Did the Act card sets get swtiched?

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
Re: Weird "Adventure" Mode
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 07:43:41 pm »
+1

I believe that they did, at one point the base set adventures were just completely unfair without zaps (some of the other sets are still in this state) and when they lowered the opponents' starting decks to more reasonable levels, they changed all the kingdoms too.

EDIT: I love that "adventure" is in quotation marks. I've slogged may through the majority of them and believe me, it was not a very fun adventure.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 07:44:48 pm by A Drowned Kernel »
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 08:45:43 pm »

How exactly is adventure mode monetized? I have heard that you can buy cheats like in Candy Crush, but is that on top of a fee just to start the adventure? Or is cheats the only monetization meaning that persistent base only players could get promos.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 08:50:11 pm »

How exactly is adventure mode monetized? I have heard that you can buy cheats like in Candy Crush, but is that on top of a fee just to start the adventure? Or is cheats the only monetization meaning that persistent base only players could get promos.

You need other sets to get promos.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 08:52:32 pm »

In order to play an expansion's adventures, you have to own the sets. Furthermore, it costs Coins (not Gokoins) to unlock the final adventure paths for full-sized sets. Beyond that, it's all zaps.

I don't think the base set adventures alone are enough to earn a promo. You don't get "VP" again for replaying ones you've beaten.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 08:54:07 pm »

oh ok, it's a currency deal.  So if you have intrigue and seaside, but you're a big governor fan, you could grind enough adventureness to get governor

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 09:09:29 pm »

oh ok, it's a currency deal.  So if you have intrigue and seaside, but you're a big governor fan, you could grind enough adventureness to get governor

That's probably enough to get a promo. But you can't redo areas to get more promos. Once complete, they can't produce more coins for you.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 11:24:39 pm »

yeah, I actually zapped* my way through a bunch of adventures** to get a promo card.  I could do more to get more promos, but playing with people is more fun in my opinion.

*I have over 2500 zaps with over 18000 (which they sell for $100*** if you can believe it) more coin to spend.  Could I please just trade all that in for promos instead of slogging through adventures?

**starting with all silvers and duchies really increases your chances of winning against bots (and winning quickly)

***no I did not buy any zaps.  Those are hard earned coins.  (lots of multiplayer)
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

geelpete

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 10:04:10 pm »

Interesting!  Thanks for the responses!

I was originally afraid to admit that I regularly use 2 zaps to get through bosses: if I play the boss 10 times and can't win, I'm not going to win.  I haven't figured out whether the multi-player boss AIs are all competing, of if they're cooperating to screw the human player.  My ego chooses to believe the latter.

But, yeah.  I played the first "world" with lots of witches, and was curious what cards were added in the second area to lend it the "Magic" moniker.  None, apparently.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 10:25:09 pm »
+1

In the later adventures I would use anywhere from 8 to 10 zaps just to sort of equalize the starting hands.

loppo

• 2014 Austrian Champion
  • Respect: +194
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 04:56:34 am »

In the later adventures you start with 5 copper/ 5 curses against 7 Silver / 3 Provinces. I've burned >20zaps/game in the later stages. and the AI in the boss levels is definitely working together to screw you.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 04:58:08 am by loppo »

matste

• Scout
  • Respect: +67
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 06:10:45 am »

and the AI in the boss levels is definitely working together to screw you.
Can you give an example?
I didn't notice anyting like that, I remember winning one game against 3 bosses where I bought Moats in my first 3 turns and watched them flooding themselves with curses.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 10:56:55 am »
+6

Earn all-but-worthless items using this One Weird Adventure Mode.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 11:52:08 am »

The AI have a huge groupthink thing going. Since they all use the same algorithm to determine whether the game is almost over, they all switch to buying duchies at the same time and end the game with a random rush.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 12:03:20 pm »

The AI have a huge groupthink thing going. Since they all use the same algorithm to determine whether the game is almost over, they all switch to buying duchies at the same time and end the game with a random rush.

It seems they also start to rush whenever you start buying green, so as soon as I buy 1 Gardens they start rushing Estates and Duchies. Great way to win a Gardens rush.

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 01:21:40 pm »

in my experience, they start going green when a single pile is gone; this seems to be sufficient but not necessary.

the groupthink occasionally causes a rush on certain piles without good reason (e.g. armory) in a way that messes with my sense of pace.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

Nik

• Baron
  • Respect: +40
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2014, 07:59:55 am »

Here's another question:
Why even have adventures?

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2014, 08:27:19 am »
+5

Here's another question:

Adventures are not a bad idea. If they were fun, its a little "campaign" mode. Even Battlefield 4, a game bought only for the multiplayer, has campaign. But right now its just time wasting.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2014, 04:07:23 pm »
+2

Here's another question:
Many people like to play sets of 10 that have been pre-picked. Many people are not especially interested in leaping into playing against humans, the bots will do. So, collections of sets of 10 vs. bots, it's filling a need (or would be).

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2014, 04:52:00 pm »
+1

Are they ever going to 'complete' the adventures? There is still a big empty spot on the map which I assume was for Guilds adventures.

"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2014, 05:00:43 pm »

Are they ever going to 'complete' the adventures? There is still a big empty spot on the map which I assume was for Guilds adventures.
I made a list of 20 sets-of-10. I imagine they will add it when they fix the other adventures. I was promised "soon" but haven't asked how that's coming.

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +807
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2014, 10:42:03 am »

I made a list of 20 sets-of-10. I imagine they will add it when they fix the other adventures. I was promised "soon" but haven't asked how that's coming.

I'm curious: Are these sets more mixed than the current ones? I think it's kind of boring to always play with half base / half extension sets. For me, that's even worse than the enforcement to use zaps on later stages.
After all, I'd rather play more human opponents instead of bots. It's a bit sad that I have to if I want all the promos (which I really do). I'd pay like... 20$ for them, I guess.
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2014, 04:08:20 pm »
+6

I'm curious: Are these sets more mixed than the current ones? I think it's kind of boring to always play with half base / half extension sets. For me, that's even worse than the enforcement to use zaps on later stages.
After all, I'd rather play more human opponents instead of bots. It's a bit sad that I have to if I want all the promos (which I really do). I'd pay like... 20$ for them, I guess.
For my proposed changed version of the adventures, there are other-expansion cards sprinkled into the main set acts 1-3, hinterlands act 3, and guilds. I didn't go back and add any to the other adventures because it turned out at the time that they weren't going to be using them then. I'm not going back now because as long as nothing has been done here it sure seems like a poor use of time. If they put in the new campaigns, which I still expect they will, then I will probably not put in more work on them but I guess it might happen.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2014, 12:43:54 am »
+5

They have not implemented the proposed slightly more exciting adventures yet, but they did change the starting hands to 7 Coppers 3 Estates (except Dark Ages where you get both Shelters and Estates and well no doubt they will fix that).

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2014, 09:36:55 am »
+2

It seems like they have introduced some other-expansion cards into some adventures now, but in such a way that you therefore can't play them if you don't have those cards as well!
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 20 queries.