Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Apology and current status  (Read 12853 times)

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
Apology and current status
« on: January 13, 2014, 11:29:21 am »
+16

Hey guys, sorry for being AWOL for so long.  For what it's worth, I haven't bailed on you guys in particular... it's more that my life is pretty much unmanageable in general lately.

Here's the current status of my work (and where things are likely to stay for a while, unfortunately):

Website (gokologs.drunkensailor.org/gokosalvager.com):
- log parsing: currently working, but fails erratically
- log search: online, but slow
- leaderboard: online, but absurdly slow

GokoSalvager:
- last release is v2.3.2
- current beta is v2.3.4.8
- ASAIK, the download links on the website and forum are currently working

The "beta" is almost ready for release and has been for a couple months now.  The new features are working (notably sidebar chat and various long-outstanding minor bugs), but there were a couple of new bugs that were causing rare but infuriating game-breaking freezes.  I didn't want to release it until those were fixed, and then everything went to shit for me.

It looks like serakfalcon and yed (and maybe others) have continued its development in my absence (thanks guys!).  It would be great if someone would take over managing releases of Salvager.  That's not too heavy a task, as it just requires hosting the extension files and making the call as to when the releases are ready.

It would also be super-great if someone would take over maintaining drunkensailor.  That's a larger task, since it requires setting up a full time server and log database (see https://github.com/aiannacc/goko-dominion-tools), but I'd be happy to walk you through it.  For now, I'll try to at least restart the server when it breaks (please do continue to email me when this happens).  But I don't expect to be able to do any new development or even any serious server maintenance for some time to come.
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: Apology and current status
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 11:39:38 am »
+3

Sidebar chat?!  Are you a wizard?!
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 11:42:54 am »

You mean no more cursing at Goko as you try to scroll up and read what someone said in chat?!?!?!?!
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 11:43:42 am »

Hey guys, sorry for being AWOL for so long.  For what it's worth, I haven't bailed on you guys in particular... it's more that my life is pretty much unmanageable in general lately.

Here's the current status of my work:

And here is where I was expecting to hear how Dominion is being integrated into your academic research.  ;)

I am not able to help out with your requests, unfortunately.

gl with life.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 03:19:09 pm »
+13

I saw the title of this post and thought, "Goko are apologising? About f***ing time!".
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 07:07:58 pm »

It would be great if someone would take over managing releases of Salvager.
I don't have time for that now. Maybe in the end of April after submitting my diploma thesis.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 10:12:59 pm »

Has everyone else not been using that? I've been using it for ages. I guess I was on beta. It's awesome!
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 11:02:33 pm »

Has everyone else not been using that? I've been using it for ages. I guess I was on beta. It's awesome!

The Chrome extension doesn't have it, or at least not the one that updated automatically.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 03:45:23 am »

No-one able or willing to host this?
The leaderboard and the logsearch are so valuable, I miss them.

I don't know any Python unfortunately and also my hoster doesn't support it (at least not without extra payment).

I've read on the github page that the database is accessible, so I might rewrite the UI for it, but that seems like a waste of time as it would be easier to just host it somewhere else.

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 07:06:13 am »

I don't know any Python unfortunately and also my hoster doesn't support it (at least not without extra payment).

I've read on the github page that the database is accessible, so I might rewrite the UI for it, but that seems like a waste of time as it would be easier to just host it somewhere else.

One person has contacted me and expressed interest in taking over, but that was a couple weeks ago and I haven't heard back again.

I may have solved the issue that was causing all the crashes and slowness.  It's actually back online now, and it does seem to be running fast again.  I'm having to re-parse all the game though, and it's only up to April 2013.  Maybe it'll catch up in another 24 hours or so.

FYI Qvist, the log-downloading and parsing is in Python too. :(

I don't want the issue of hosting cost to prevent the site from getting back online.  If someone out there is willing to take over the maintenance, I'd be happy to arrange and pay for hosting somewhere Python-friendly.  I'm sure there are others here who would contribute for that too, and it's probably less than $20/mo anyway.
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 07:23:50 am »
+1

One person has contacted me and expressed interest in taking over, but that was a couple weeks ago and I haven't heard back again.

I may have solved the issue that was causing all the crashes and slowness.  It's actually back online now, and it does seem to be running fast again.  I'm having to re-parse all the game though, and it's only up to April 2013.  Maybe it'll catch up in another 24 hours or so.

I don't want the issue of hosting cost to prevent the site from getting back online.  If someone out there is willing to take over the maintenance, I'd be happy to arrange and pay for hosting somewhere Python-friendly.  I'm sure there are others here who would contribute for that too, and it's probably less than $20/mo anyway.

I certainly think you could find people on the forum to cover this cost between them.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 10:56:12 am »

I *think* my hosting service does Python, though I assume we would need shell access or the like to get it running and keep it running?  I'll check what the cost on that would be.  However, I don't really have the time to maintain it either :(

That said, if it's on a virtual host and not a physical machine, it shouldn't need a lot of rebooting right?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 10:59:49 am »

Can Patreon be used for regular websites like this?  You could try a Patreon account to crowd-cover the costs.  However, I would personally not pay for it unless it also had stats ala Council Room (call me greedy).

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 11:19:59 am »

I *think* my hosting service does Python, though I assume we would need shell access or the like to get it running and keep it running?  I'll check what the cost on that would be.  However, I don't really have the time to maintain it either :(

That said, if it's on a virtual host and not a physical machine, it shouldn't need a lot of rebooting right?

It's actually never needed physical rebooting.  It's needed the scripts that runs the server to be restarted because they've unexpectedly stopped.  Really, it shouldn't need that either... what's it needs is someone to diagnose and fix the problem that's making the scripts stop.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 11:21:35 am »

Andrew:

http://phpwebhosting.com/cheap_vps_virtual_private_server.html

Will that sort of spec sheet work for what we need?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

bama

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 11:50:54 am »

Would Amazon's AWS stuff work here?

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 09:19:55 pm »
+14

Sweet!  Log search and leaderboard are back.  I've fixed the issue that was making everything super slow, and I think I've fixed the issue that was causing my scripts to halt.

Everything through Nov 2013 is re-parsed, and it should catch up to the present in a few more hours.  FYI, the default "partial" leaderboard is blank right now since as far as my database knows, nobody has played a game in the last 30 days.  Edit: It's taking longer than I had expected.  The last few days worth of logs hadn't gotten downloaded.

As for long-term solutions, the only unusual hosting need is "fast" disk access... say SSD speeds for the database, which is currently 30GB and will grow at about 3GB/mo.  There's no need for fast cpu, high bandwidth, or anything else people pay a premium for.  That said, there's no point in comparison shopping for a server until someone volunteers to take over the maintenance.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 10:44:51 am by ragingduckd »

factotumjack

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2014, 12:49:13 am »

I am all sorts of excited for the leaderboard to be back up, and perhaps overly hopeful of my chances at breaking level 0. I've been checking every half hour tonight watching the "last game played" tick down. Apologies if I'm making it harder by doing this.

I'd be happy to kick in some money for whatever server solution you decide on. Having a searchable and sensible leaderboard makes the game more enjoyable to me, and that's worth something.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 08:48:02 am »
+4

Holy cats! I checked the leaderboard to see what my rating would be, since I know I've been playing a lot recently and I feel like I've been playing well recently. I'm level 40!

I peaked on iso at level 35 and I've never come close to surpassing it since then. I'm so happy! ;D
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2014, 11:59:40 am »

Sadly for me, I've dropped on the leaderboard by a couple of levels since I last checked it when it was up to date. Still, Level 37 is way higher that I ever got on Isotropic (I peaked at level 30 for like a day).

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2014, 03:06:48 pm »
+3

I'd been checking constantly these past weeks and I finally did something I never did on isotropic.  Top 10!  :D

Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2014, 12:15:31 am »

yeah, you always know where you fall on goko, but the Isotropish leaderboard gives you that confirmation of where you feel like you actually are.

Thanks for all the work getting it together to begin with and now having it back online AI
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2014, 12:52:09 pm »

It isn't picking up all the games. I think, though I'm not sure, that the issue has something to do with the goko bug where the games sometimes doesn't start - all the ones I've noticed missing came, I think, after one of these "started but didn't start" games.

Anyway, not a high priority. I hope you're doing well.

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2014, 12:56:26 pm »

It isn't picking up all the games. I think, though I'm not sure, that the issue has something to do with the goko bug where the games sometimes doesn't start - all the ones I've noticed missing came, I think, after one of these "started but didn't start" games.

I can look into it.  Save the log next time it happens... Specifically I'll need the log's file name.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2014, 01:03:17 pm »

Ditto for me.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 22 queries.