Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Recommended board games?  (Read 25081 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Recommended board games?
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2014, 02:01:43 am »

I am going to appropriate this thread.

What are your thoughts on Love Letter?  Is it worth buying, or would it perhaps be better just to make my own PnP version?  How does it compare to other micro games like Coup or Mascarade, or a game I haven't heard of?

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2014, 05:29:13 am »

I like Coup better than Love Letter (haven't played Masquerade), but you really should just try it out to know which one you prefer I think. And for the price, they are worth buying, they'll look much better than PnP (admittedly this is more true of Love Letter than Coup).
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2014, 08:30:41 am »

I own citadels which I believe is of that ilk.

As long as your playing with strategic players its great. If you are playing with people who just focus on thier own stuff and the pretty colours then its rubbish
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2014, 09:34:39 am »

Love Letter is a nice filler, but not really more than that. It works with 2-4 players (but I guess you could squeeze some more in without much (or is it many? Much sounds nicer in my head, but logic tells me it should be many) problems).

Mascarade I played twice. The first time we had like 11 players and it was totally awesome. The second time we were 6 and it was much more meh. If you regularely have huge groups of players (like 8+), I'd absolutely recommend going for this.

I haven't played Coup.

Citadels is quite cool, but it can really drag and have a lot of downtime. I wouldn't really recommend it anymore, there are just other games with the same feel that go much more smoothly.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2014, 10:36:03 am »

Citadels seems different to me, in that it felt like a longer kind of game. What games fill the same niche (ultra portable, works for many players)?

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2014, 10:48:35 am »

Citadels seems different to me, in that it felt like a longer kind of game. What games fill the same niche (ultra portable, works for many players)?

Incan Gold
Sabouteur?

« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 10:54:04 am by Ozle »

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2014, 10:51:54 am »

Love Letter is a nice filler, but not really more than that. It works with 2-4 players (but I guess you could squeeze some more in without much (or is it many? Much sounds nicer in my head, but logic tells me it should be many) problems).

Much problem. Many problems.

Either is right. I think.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2014, 11:24:43 am »

Definitely Mascarade imo.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2014, 12:01:25 pm »

Citadels is definitely a "heavier" game, and it's really not the same kind of game for me. Coup and Love Letter are bluffing games, Citadels is more of a double-guessing (also known as WIFOM) game, if that difference makes sense. It's also much longer (that's the only problem with that game, I highly recommand playing with 7 buildings instead of 8 in Citadels, and even then the game can get up to an hour with 7 or 8 players).

Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2014, 12:52:12 pm »
+5

Much problem. Many problems. So grammar. Very wow.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2014, 01:09:22 pm »

Much problem. Many problems. So grammar. Very wow.

Be nice, Tables, or I'll photoshop you onto a Shiba Inu.

Watno, Grujah:  In English the modifiers much and many apply only to collective nouns (mass nouns) and countable nouns (count nouns) respectively.  Since problems are countable, you would say "many problems."  Problem, singular, is never used as a mass noun, so even "much problem" would be wrong.  However, both "much difficulty" and "many difficulties" are allowable because difficulty, singular, is often used as a mass noun.

As far as I can tell, there is no distinction int he Romance languages, but in German this is the different between viel (much) and viele (many).

Similarly, little is the opposite of much, while few is the opposite of many.  Meanwhile, the opposite of both fewer and less is more; more can refer to either type of noun.

Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2014, 01:22:32 pm »

The Great Dalmuti.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2014, 02:01:35 pm »

Watno, Grujah:  In English the modifiers much and many apply only to collective nouns (mass nouns) and countable nouns (count nouns) respectively.  Since problems are countable, you would say "many problems."  Problem, singular, is never used as a mass noun, so even "much problem" would be wrong.  However, both "much difficulty" and "many difficulties" are allowable because difficulty, singular, is often used as a mass noun.
I thought that as well, but it somehow sounded wrong. I'll justv go with "much of a problem" next time.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2014, 03:23:26 pm »

I'm not sure I believe that "much problem" is wrong. I'm a native English speaker and I feel like I've heard it somewhere before.

Although internet grammar is often not good, it's interesting to consult Google.
"without much problem": 10,700,000 results
"without many problems": 7,650,000 results
"without much difficulty": 5,920,000 results
"without many difficulties": 502,000 results
So at least on the internet, "without much problem" is actually the most common form by a significant margin.

In books, "without much difficulty" is a clear winner. The others barely register:
https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=without+much+problem%2Cwithout+many+problems%2Cwithout+much+difficulty%2Cwithout+many+difficulties&year_start=1800&year_end=2008&corpus=15&smoothing=3&share=&direct_url=t1%3B%2Cwithout%20much%20problem%3B%2Cc0%3B.t1%3B%2Cwithout%20many%20problems%3B%2Cc0%3B.t1%3B%2Cwithout%20much%20difficulty%3B%2Cc0%3B.t1%3B%2Cwithout%20many%20difficulties%3B%2Cc0
If we delete "without much difficulty" though, "without much problem" wins over the rest since 1974.
https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=without+much+problem%2Cwithout+many+problems%2Cwithout+many+difficulties&year_start=1800&year_end=2008&corpus=15&smoothing=3&share=&direct_url=t1%3B%2Cwithout%20much%20problem%3B%2Cc0%3B.t1%3B%2Cwithout%20many%20problems%3B%2Cc0%3B.t1%3B%2Cwithout%20many%20difficulties%3B%2Cc0

So my guess would be that "without much difficulty" is the preferred form if you're writing, but "without much problem" is okay colloquially and it may be gradually making its way into writing too.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2014, 03:50:51 pm »

"Without" much problem sounds horrendous to me -- I'd much rather saying "without much difficulty", followed by "without many problems"

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2014, 04:07:16 pm »
+3

Just use 'No Problemmo'

Sorted

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2014, 05:35:12 pm »

Internet grammar is wrong.

Also, the trouble with Google ngram is that the corpus isn't as large as you might like; the corpus contains exactly one instance of "without much problem."  Same for the others except "without much difficulty."
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2014, 07:43:42 pm »

So what kind of game is Mascarade?  I had thought it was a light filler micro game like Love Letter and Coup, but it fits more into the same (slightly heavier) niche as Citadels?

Incan Gold has been on my list for a while too, but I think it might also be a bit lighter than my preference.  Not sure.  Not sure if I ever looked into Saboteur.

The Great Dalmuti is just a climbing game.  Is there anything that really sets it apart from Big Two or President?

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2014, 10:55:12 pm »

To me Mascarade feels like it expands on the fun parts of citadels (the roles) while dropping the stuff that makes it drag (building stuff).
It takes longer longer than Love Letter, about 20-30 minutes I think.
Also as said, you really need a lot more people for it than for Love Letter.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2014, 11:32:24 pm »

Internet grammar is wrong.
I'm more of a descriptivist, so since we're writing on the internet, I consider it okay to use the most common form found on the internet. I understand that is just an opinion, though.

Also, the trouble with Google ngram is that the corpus isn't as large as you might like; the corpus contains exactly one instance of "without much problem."  Same for the others except "without much difficulty."
I don't know if it's showing you different results or what, but for me it shows tons of examples (many pages worth) if I ask it to run the search.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2014, 12:02:29 am »
+4

So at least on the internet, "without much problem" is actually the most common form by a significant margin.
My google is not as generous to "without much problem," whether I click on your link or type it in myself.

"without much problem" -> 1,370,000
"without many problems" -> 7,650,000
"without much difficulty" -> 5,920,000
"without many difficulties" -> 502,000

However! "Without much problem" is actually shorthand for "without much of a problem."

"without much of a problem" -> 62,300,000

[I am, as you may know, a hardcore descriptivist, and no it isn't just an opinion.]

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2014, 12:09:40 am »

I don't know if it's showing you different results or what, but for me it shows tons of examples (many pages worth) if I ask it to run the search.

Hmm... suddenly it does the same for me now too.  However:

My google is not as generous to "without much problem," whether I click on your link or type it in myself.

I get numbers exactly in line with Donald's.

However! "Without much problem" is actually shorthand for "without much of a problem."

Also, I should have thought of that.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2014, 04:42:12 pm »

I get

which isn't terribly surprising, given that google personalizes search results. Popping it into a second browser gives me the same results, whilst a third gives me results matching blueblimp's. I've really never thought 'number of google results' was a terribly accurate measure of... most anything of note, really.

[I am, as you may know, a hardcore descriptivist, and no it isn't just an opinion.]

See, now I find this interesting. Specifically, what does "no it isn't just an opinion" mean (particularly "it" and "opinion", which is a word in general I've found to not be well-defined or agreed-upon)?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2014, 07:12:47 pm »
+1

Intense f.ds level nitpicking and semantics is goin down.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2014, 07:52:29 pm »

Intense f.ds-level nitpicking and semantics is goin' down.

Related but separate adjectives require a hyphen, and elisions require an apostrophe.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 20 queries.