Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: FG non-mirror, no trashing  (Read 1479 times)

dahve3d

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
FG non-mirror, no trashing
« on: January 11, 2014, 05:59:01 pm »

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140111/log.5137b6aae4b0f4a0a3951007.1389478975868.txt

A pretty interesting board in this game, no trashing to speak of, so I go hard for the Fool's Gold + Stables strategy since it seemed like the most reliable way to get to 8 in a game slowed down by the initial junk... he goes stables as well and I end up winning the split 6-4, I take the greening lead early but then he is able to catch up with some big possessions and overtake me at the end.

1) Is going for procession/fortress worth it in this kind of game where there are clearly critical 5s you want to be stacking up on but it's going to be hard to consistently get them together due to the lack of trashing? I'm leaning toward yes on this board but would be interested in seeing what others think.

2) Is it worth getting possession here? Seems like a pretty big investment when decks aren't going to be that consistent and has the potential to help him as much as you if you happen to hit his bad draws.

3) Do you play this differently if it's a FG mirror as opposed to going for FG alone vs. an opponent who is ignoring them?

Thoughts on the above as well as any other comments always welcome, thanks!

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
Re: FG non-mirror, no trashing
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 06:12:15 pm »

I think you went too much for the Stables - they are nice for your deck, so it's a tough call, but against an engine, especially Possession, you need a headstart on greening. E.g. on turn 9 you buy 2*Stables, but Province+FG would have been better. Your opponent's City plan would have been a lot slower if you hadn't done the work of emptying the Stables pile.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 01:46:58 am »

You probably don't need all 10 FGs, either. You do want a good number of Stables, but it's more important to get a substantial Province lead first. The thing is that if you jump to an early lead with green, your opponent's Possessions tend to not be as good because your hands won't be as good. Since you're working on taking most of the FGs and a lot of Stables, you're coming dangerously close to giving your opponent max-level Cities, and it's possible that he can still pick up 43 VP before you can pick up 43. So you have to be extremely careful about that.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 09:43:26 am »

When playing against possession you just want to buy a majority of points quickly. This means you should be getting 4 provinces by turn 14 or 15, but instead you improved your deck with more stables for a stronger late game. The possessor gets more advantage from the late game than you do.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.