Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Jack/-- better than Jack/Silver  (Read 1988 times)

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
Jack/-- better than Jack/Silver
« on: January 10, 2014, 10:22:57 pm »

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140110/log.516d31dbe4b082c74d7b3391.1389409279820.txt

I was not happy getting a 5/2 here, but having an eleven-card deck paid off in a way I didn't expect: I got to shuffle at the end of turn 3, and the card I drew from the shuffle was a Jack! So I got to trash an Estate with my Jack on turns 3, 4, and 5; I don't think it's possible to go this fast with a Jack/Silver opening, and the extra Jack plays gained me back the Silver I wasn't able to get in my initial buy.

Aside: Is Lookout good here? I wasn't sure whether a 4/3 should open Jack/Lookout or Jack/Silver; I like the idea of Lookout, but adding Silvers is probably better than taking out Coppers in a Jack/Plaza deck.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: Jack/-- better than Jack/Silver
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 07:37:24 am »

Lookouts can have marginal benefits with a card like a jack (card gaining, draw to 5) but in treasure decks you are generally better keeping your coppers and buying more silver and gold.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 11:36:56 am »
+3

Not buying the Silver in T1/2 when you play DoubleJack loses 43:57 against standard DoubleJack.
Code: [Select]
{
  name: 'DoubleJack'
  author: 'rspeer'
  requires: ["Jack of All Trades"]
  gainPriority: (state, my) -> [
    "Province" if my.getTotalMoney() > 15
    "Duchy" if state.gainsToEndGame() <= 5
    "Estate" if state.gainsToEndGame() <= 2
    "Gold"
    "Jack of All Trades" if my.countInDeck("Jack of All Trades") < 2
    "Silver" if my.turnsTaken > 2
  ]
}

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 03:43:03 pm »
+1

Not buying the Silver in T1/2 when you play DoubleJack loses 43:57 against standard DoubleJack.

Oh yeah, I didn't mean it was a better play in general, just that in this game it worked out better than if I'd been able to buy a Silver as well. So on average, Jack/Silver is of course better, but the "top-end" for Jack/nothing is higher.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 04:10:48 pm »

Oh yeah, I didn't mean it was a better play in general, just that in this game it worked out better than if I'd been able to buy a Silver as well. So on average, Jack/Silver is of course better, but the "top-end" for Jack/nothing is higher.
I thought it might be worth trying...

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 03:30:38 pm »
+1

I suppose I'm just reading too much into what you're saying, but it looks like you're saying you should've opened jack/nothing with a 4/3 split here, which i doubt.  It so happened that you were able to play your jack turns 3 and 4, but this is not a reason to prefer not to buy the silver.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 03:40:55 pm »

your opponent's lookout and militia were probably mistakes, and the highway was definitely wrong.  The only way to make highway work would be HT, which doesn't really work at all without draw (jack is terrible draw for this kind of engine), and just two buys aren't enough to make the highways worthwhile anyway.  Lookout is nice with draw-to-X engines, but there's no payload for an engine here, so it's very likely wrong.  The militia doesn't double-jack much at all, especially with plazas (you were slightly lucky to have jack in hand every time plus plazas all but once).

I'm not big on Explorer here either.  Maybe one after you've got two provinces?
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.371 seconds with 20 queries.