Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Funny Card idea involving the trash pile.  (Read 2578 times)

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
Funny Card idea involving the trash pile.
« on: January 10, 2014, 03:55:30 am »

basicly the idea is to have a trasher that gives different benefits for the trashing based on the size of your draw pile in comparison to the trash pile size. so the trasher gets  a different feel in the early game than in the mid to end game.
what the bonuses exactly are is debatable.

Trasher - $3
+1Action
Trash a card from your hand.
If the trash pile contains more cards then your draw pile: +1 VP-token +1 coin
otherwise: + 1 Card

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
Re: Funny Card idea involving the trash pile.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 04:18:44 pm »
+1

Trasher - $3
+1Action
Trash a card from your hand.
If the trash pile contains more cards then your draw pile: +1 VP-token +1 coin
otherwise: + 1 Card

Well, the first thing i see is that this is at least a cantrip trasher for 3$, which is too strong. But it's not the main point of the card, so let's put that aside for now.

So, what does the mechanic mean to do?

so the trasher gets  a different feel in the early game than in the mid to end game.

I'm not perfectly convinced that that's the case. As the card only counts your draw pile, it's more like a trasher that is much better when you draw it shortly before shuffeling. Might be that that's also not intended, but even if it counted your deck as a whole, i don't think the effect is the one you want - especially with the VP bonus which gives you a small, golden deck pretty fast (the card pushes itself a lot).

Also i'm concerned whether counting your cards all the time is such a good idea... Philosopher's Stone is infamous for this, and even that card had the benefit that usually several PSs played in the same turn all had the same value1. This card is a cantrip, and if you play three of them during different parts of your turn, you'll have to count three times - no matter whether they counted your draw pile or your complete deck.

1. Black Market is the obvious exception here. Of course you can also cause the values to differ by playing a Loan, Horn of Plenty, Venture (etc?) inbetween two PSs - but you'd probably have no reason to do so, other than your love for counting Ah Ha Ha Ha!.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 04:21:00 pm by Asper »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 04:28:36 pm »

A agree with Asper. That being said, I'm not certain that a cantrip trasher than trashes before it draws has been shown to be too powerful for the $2 to $4 cost range. It easily could be, but I don't think such a card has been tested.

Then again, I usually think twice about playing even a "normal" cantrip trasher (like Upgrade, Junk Dealer, or Rats) if I don't already have a junk card in hand, so probably the difference is pretty minimal.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 04:44:38 pm »
+1

What about comparing the trash pile to your hand size? Easier to count and isn't that much dependent on your shuffle luck.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 04:59:06 pm »

What about comparing the trash pile to your hand size? Easier to count and isn't that much dependent on your shuffle luck.

I don't think the math will work out there, but I like your logic!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 05:47:22 pm »
+1

What about comparing it to fixed number? Might be possibly too similar to Forager, but could work.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1679
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 11:38:48 pm »
+1

I like the idea of comparing to hand size. Just multiply your handsize number by 2 or 3 first.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 12:08:21 am »

I like the idea of comparing to hand size. Just multiply your handsize number by 2 or 3 first.

That's a good idea. "If the trash has more than twice as many cards as your hand," might work.

If it weren't for the logistic issues, I'd like deck counting slightly better, since the size of your deck and the trash tend to both scale up as the game goes on. That doesn't seem to be the intended effect, though, based on the OP.

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 02:04:28 pm »
+1

well comparing the draw pile to the trash pile wouldnt be too difficult i thought... you just lay them next to each other and look which one is bigger ;) you only have to count if its close.

I thought that would be a funny mechanic.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.