Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Author Topic: New Player!  (Read 40234 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: New Player!
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2014, 02:21:35 pm »
+5

• Make sure you only pick up cards from your deck with your left hand.
  • Make sure to announce the value of the treasures as you put them down (e.g....I will play Copper, Copper Copper)
  • Moats are awful
  • If playing online Multiplayer, make sure you check the underneath of the cards to see what colour you are supposed to be playing, a lot of people forget this. One time I thought I was blue and I played a massive Smithy chain and then watch my opponent pick up all the provinces.
  • Feel free to challenge me on Goko anytime, my username is Eevee
  • Wear Sunscreen

Thanks, I'll have to play against you sometime!  I don't understand that 4th tip though.  I only played against a friend twice online but didn't see any such thing.

• Don't take most things Ozle says seriously.

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
  • Respect: +23
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2014, 02:22:59 pm »
+3

• Make sure to announce the value of the treasures as you put them down (e.g....I will play Copper, Copper Copper)
  • Moats are awful
  • If playing online Multiplayer, make sure you check the underneath of the cards to see what colour you are supposed to be playing, a lot of people forget this. One time I thought I was blue and I played a massive Smithy chain and then watch my opponent pick up all the provinces.
  • Wear Sunscreen

Thanks, I'll have to play against you sometime!  I don't understand that 4th tip though.  I only played against a friend twice online but didn't see any such thing.

• Don't take most things Ozle says seriously.

Is he like, the forum troll or something?

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2014, 02:24:04 pm »
+1

• Moats are awful
  • Wear Sunscreen

Happy with the sunscreen advice though?

If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it.
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2014, 02:25:45 pm »
+2

• Moats are awful
  • Wear Sunscreen

Troll?!
Such a harsh word!

I prefer racially different fairae creature with a personality disorder and penchant for grunting, including a statuesque style nose

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2014, 02:27:20 pm »
+1

• Moats are awful
  • Wear Sunscreen

Troll?!
Such a harsh word!

I prefer racially different fairae creature with a personality disorder and penchant for grunting, including a statuesque style nose

Lol fair enough.  Thank you for the tips, sir :D

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2014, 02:28:24 pm »

Balance your terminal actions (ones with no +actions) with your villages (cards with +2 actions, and possibly more). Oftentimes, I see new players buying a bunch of terminals that they wind up drawing together and can't play, or on the other end, buy a bunch of villages when they have no use for the extra actions. Villages and terminals should be around 1:1 in your deck, with a couple extra villages perhaps if they're terminals that draw cards (drawing dead is a waste of both a card in your hand, as well as that action play for the shuffle you're in).

I can't agree with this advice. Except in the vaguest sense of "balance your deck composition". It is almost always better to have a deck with too many terminals, than too few. So one should aim for a couple extra terminals, not a couple extra villages. In a treasure+terminals kind of deck, you should not be afraid of some terminal collision, you should be afraid of having a turn where you don't play your terminal.

I think the worst trap that new players tend to fall into is too many nonterminal actions. Which are generally much weaker than terminals, but feel safer and allow the "chaining" of actions that can feel quite nice, but is often just spinning wheels. But this mistake happens to all players at all levels, and most people could improve their overall game by buying more terminals.
Expanding on this a bit:

When villages are on the board, you need to ask "How important is it to play more than 1 terminal a turn?".

Sometimes your strategy will require that you play lots of terminals each turn, for example when you want to draw your entire deck with Smithies. Given that these sorts of decks take time to build, you want to be sure that you have a large enough source of +actions to draw the cards you need to be able to have awesome turns (perhaps one where you buy multiple Provinces to catch up against a player buying mostly money and VP cards).

But sometimes, you might play game where the maybe the only terminals are Chancellor, Militia, and Moneylender. None of those cards really need to be played more than once a turn. It is good, however, to be able to play one of those cards every turn (specifically, the Militia). If you can't draw most of your cards with Laboratory or something, then you should consider "Over terminal"ing a bit to ensure that a powerful card is played almost every turn (do expect collisions though). If you need to space those cards out a bit, then just buy some Silver or Gold.

If you can draw pretty much your whole deck with cards that give +action +cards like Laboratory, then you don't need more than a couple of copies of the terminal you want to play every turn. The extra copy is for when your deck starts to get clogged with VP cards.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2014, 02:29:13 pm »
+2

• Moats are awful
  • Wear Sunscreen

Only most?
Im wounded Mr Footnote! Wounded!

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2014, 02:31:52 pm »
+2

• Just don't try to cross Ozle's bridge and you'll be fine.
  • If you must cross the bridge, try using a carrot to lure a nearby goat to your aid.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 02:33:16 pm by WalrusMcFishSr »
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2014, 02:32:15 pm »

Balance your terminal actions (ones with no +actions) with your villages (cards with +2 actions, and possibly more). Oftentimes, I see new players buying a bunch of terminals that they wind up drawing together and can't play, or on the other end, buy a bunch of villages when they have no use for the extra actions. Villages and terminals should be around 1:1 in your deck, with a couple extra villages perhaps if they're terminals that draw cards (drawing dead is a waste of both a card in your hand, as well as that action play for the shuffle you're in).

I can't agree with this advice. Except in the vaguest sense of "balance your deck composition". It is almost always better to have a deck with too many terminals, than too few. So one should aim for a couple extra terminals, not a couple extra villages. In a treasure+terminals kind of deck, you should not be afraid of some terminal collision, you should be afraid of having a turn where you don't play your terminal.

I think the worst trap that new players tend to fall into is too many nonterminal actions. Which are generally much weaker than terminals, but feel safer and allow the "chaining" of actions that can feel quite nice, but is often just spinning wheels. But this mistake happens to all players at all levels, and most people could improve their overall game by buying more terminals.
Expanding on this a bit:

When villages are on the board, you need to ask "How important is it to play more than 1 terminal a turn?".

Sometimes your strategy will require that you play lots of terminals each turn, for example when you want to draw your entire deck with Smithies. Given that these sorts of decks take time to build, you want to be sure that you have a large enough source of +actions to draw the cards you need to be able to have awesome turns (perhaps one where you buy multiple Provinces to catch up against a player buying mostly money and VP cards).

But sometimes, you might play game where the maybe the only terminals are Chancellor, Militia, and Moneylender. None of those cards really need to be played more than once a turn. It is good, however, to be able to play one of those cards every turn (specifically, the Militia). If you can't draw most of your cards with Laboratory or something, then you should consider "Over terminal"ing a bit to ensure that a powerful card is played almost every turn (do expect collisions though). If you need to space those cards out a bit, then just buy some Silver or Gold.

If you can draw pretty much your whole deck with cards that give +action +cards like Laboratory, then you don't need more than a couple of copies of the terminal you want to play every turn. The extra copy is for when your deck starts to get clogged with VP cards.

So on a point you made: is it possible to buy more than 1 province a turn?  That would require 16 gold and 2 buys!  That's quite a hand if you could get it.  Is it possible?  What are collisions though? 

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2014, 02:40:03 pm »

Well, if you bought a witch, then his hands wouldn't be full of money anymore.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2014, 02:40:49 pm »

Expanding on this a bit:

So on a point you made: is it possible to buy more than 1 province a turn?  That would require 16 gold and 2 buys!  That's quite a hand if you could get it.  Is it possible?  What are collisions though?
Collisions are, in a broad sense, when you have multiple action cards in the same hand. Often, we really mean "terminal Collision" (what I meant to say). Have two actions that you'd like to play but can only play one due to lack of available actions? Terminal collision. Ex: 2 Militia's in the same hand with no way to play both.

There are, however, certain cards you want to "Collide". Treasure Map from Seaside is an example of a card you want to collide with itself.

Now, is it possible to buy 2 Provinces in a single turn? Yes it is, but it's not all that common using only cards in the base set. It's possible with the "First Game" set in the instructions, and there's a great article about how you can do that.

Can someone link the "Building the first game engine" article. It's awkward for me to do with the mobile I'm using right now.

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2014, 02:42:00 pm »

Expanding on this a bit:

Collisions are, in a broad sense, when you have multiple action cards in the same hand. Often, we really mean "terminal Collision" (what I meant to say). Have two actions that you'd like to play but can only play one due to lack of available actions? Terminal collision. Ex: 2 Militia's in the same hand with no way to play both.

There are, however, certain cards you want to "Collide". Treasure Map from Seaside is an example of a card you want to collide with itself.

Now, is it possible to buy 2 Provinces in a single turn? Yes it is, but it's not all that common using only cards in the base set. It's possible with the "First Game" set in the instructions, and there's a great article about how you can do that.

Can someone link the "Building the first game engine" article. It's awkward for me to do with the mobile I'm using right now.

Oh, I see what you mean!  That article is on the DominionStrategy page, right?  I can get it :)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2014, 02:42:24 pm »
+1

If trolling is a art, Ozle is someone who makes it an high art.

Yes, $16 and two buys isn't at all difficult to get; you just need five Festivals and enough Smithies to draw your entire deck if you haven't trashed your initial Coppers, and if you have trashed your initial Coppers, getting $16 is even easier. Also, the expansions make it a lot more likely to happen. EDIT: Though, while it's not difficult to do, oftentimes it's better to build a deck that just buys a Province and another cheaper card every turn, because it doesn't take that long to build a deck like that.

here's the article requested: http://dominionstrategy.com/2012/07/30/building-the-first-game-engine/
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 02:45:19 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2014, 02:42:52 pm »
+6

So on a point you made: is it possible to buy more than 1 province a turn?  That would require 16 gold coins and 2 buys!  That's quite a hand if you could get it.  Is it possible?
Oh, you are going to enjoy Dominion.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2014, 02:45:15 pm »

So on a point you made: is it possible to buy more than 1 province a turn?  That would require 16 gold coins and 2 buys!  That's quite a hand if you could get it.  Is it possible?
Oh, you are going to enjoy Dominion.

Lol, why do you say that?

And whoever fixed my post, lol thanks.  I meant to say coins and not gold.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2014, 02:48:24 pm »
+2

It's sometimes possible to buy all of the Provinces in one turn.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2014, 02:50:09 pm »

Blasphemy!  Prove it, sir!

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2014, 02:56:27 pm »
+1

Take a couple minutes and look at this.  :)

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=6855.msg197272#msg197272

Edit:  Most of that would be unFamiliar to you as they are mostly expansion cards.  But there is a simpler way.  In Intrigue there is a card called Bridge which gives +$1 and +1 Buy and makes all cards cost $1 less but not less than 0.  Playing 7 Bridges by drawing your deck and Throne Room can be easily done and isn't too complicated.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 02:58:42 pm by shark_bait »
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2014, 02:57:18 pm »

There are many possibilities. The simplest would be a card in the first expansion, Intrigue, called "Bridge". Bridge gives you an extra buy, a coin, and it reduces the cost of all cards by 1. So, if you manage to play 7 Bridges in a turn, then all Provinces will cost just $1; and you will have 8 buys.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 10, 2014, 02:59:39 pm »

There are many possibilities. The simplest would be a card in the first expansion, Intrigue, called "Bridge". Bridge gives you an extra buy, a coin, and it reduces the cost of all cards by 1. So, if you manage to play 7 Bridges in a turn, then all Provinces will cost just $1; and you will have 8 buys.

That's crazy!  I definitely gotta try that expansion out.

Edit:  Most of that would be unFamiliar to you as they are mostly expansion cards.  But there is a simpler way.  In Intrigue there is a card called Bridge which gives +$1 and +1 Buy and makes all cards cost $1 less but not less than 0.  Playing 7 Bridges by drawing your deck and Throne Room can be easily done and isn't too complicated.

I have no words...I don't understand the abbreviations but I can see the recap at the end of the amount of coin and buys he had and what he could buy with it all.  I just...have no words for how epic that is lol.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #95 on: January 10, 2014, 03:01:20 pm »

Here is a game I played the other day where I bought all of the Provinces and a few Colonies in one turn (probably not optimal, just an example):
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140109/log.505c6645a2e6c78ad2ed5ad3.1389285394553.txt

There are many ways to do it, but it's much easier in the expansions than the base game.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 10, 2014, 03:03:37 pm »
+6

This is quite possibly the best thread this forum has had in a while.  You can expect some conflicting advice, but that's part of Dominion... the same advice is not always applicable to all situations.

Ozle is... more like the "class clown" than a troll.  Trolls intend to infuriate.  Ozle intends only to be silly, which is infinitely more interesting and useful than trolling.

That said, when Ozle writes something that seems to have no jokes in it at any point... you know shit just got real.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 10, 2014, 03:05:04 pm »

I have no words...I don't understand the abbreviations but I can see the recap at the end of the amount of coin and buys he had and what he could buy with it all.  I just...have no words for how epic that is lol.

The things you can do with certain cards is unreal.  Oh, you are going to have fun...
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 10, 2014, 03:06:55 pm »

The things you can do with certain cards is unreal.  Oh, you are going to have fun...

I'm having fun just reading all this, lol.  I assume these plays are totally random depending on what cards get picked for the kingdom cards?  But yeah still ridiculous lol.  I'll have to get Intrigue just for Bridge lol.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 10, 2014, 03:10:43 pm »
+1

I'm having fun just reading all this, lol.  I assume these plays are totally random depending on what cards get picked for the kingdom cards?  But yeah still ridiculous lol.  I'll have to get Intrigue just for Bridge lol.

Yeah the game really explodes in terms of what you can do once you start picking up expansions. With the base set only, you could buy all Provinces in one turn, but only if you were either playing solitaire,  or playing an opponent who was letting you do it. For example, if you just bought lots of Festivals, Libraries, Council Rooms, Golds, and Villages; it wouldn't be all that hard to draw most or all of your deck in one turn, and have over $64 to spend and 8 buys. But it wouldn't even happen in a normal game of base set only.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Page created in 3.343 seconds with 21 queries.