Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: READ ONLY IF YOU LOVE TOURNAMENTS  (Read 6991 times)

Leo1997

• Salvager
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
READ ONLY IF YOU LOVE TOURNAMENTS
« on: January 08, 2014, 12:39:58 pm »

There arent tournaments at DominionStrategy at the moment
There is a website organizing Dominion Online tournaments

http://idadominion.wordpress.com/

If you are interested, click on IDA Members and than on JOIN to Join IDA.

Leo

Zappie

• Thief
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
Re: READ ONLY IF YOU LOVE TOURNAMENTS
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 03:13:27 pm »

altough i am not sure about what this IDA is supposed to be, the website is pretty neat! i would include the isotropish leaderboard for goko, as well links to drunkensailor, and salvager.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 06:21:50 pm »
+11

Teehee, I read and I'm only mildly affectionate about tournaments!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Zappie

• Thief
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 06:34:45 pm »
+1

here you find some more links:
http://boardgamestrategy.net/forum/index.php?topic=9198.0
But I do not expect many will join your website simply because f.ds is already there... There are some tournaments organised, but maybe a bit on a slower pace than yours. And in my view, tournaments should have something special. The goko ladder pro fuctions already perfectly if you want to play competative games.

Leo1997

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 07:04:33 pm »

There are something special tournaments on IDA,
and i created the blog cause i would do something with Wordpress
You needn't to sign in there, but it would be nice.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 10:13:48 am »
+12

Would love to join as I love tournaments but unfortunately it's just not feasible time-wise.  It's hard enough for me to schedule a single series a week for the Gokodom style tournaments.  Dominion for me is more when can I find time rather than who do I want to play.  And then even when I find time it's usually just enough for a few games. 

Good luck getting this going.  You've got a tough road going forward trying to start this up.  As others have said people here on this forum are quite content with general forum discussion and periodic Gokodom tourneys.  You're going to really need to do something special and unique to make your site grow and attract high caliber Dominion players.

Players already have the Isotropish leaderboard to mark their growth and progress.  It's accurate and updates instantly and provides comparison against EVERY player.  You've got to do something with tournaments that is unique from player comparison because let's face it, no one is going to become super active with a tournament site to see who's better because they already have a good leaderboard.

You've also got the problem of reputation.  At this point, no offense to you, you have almost no reputation within the Dominion community other than being the most tournament enthusiastic person in the forum  ;)

So with little reputation you are trying to get players from an established forum to play in tournaments run by someone with little reputation.  People like Kirian and Qvist can run tournaments from here because people on the forum know them and respect them.  People on this forum are more likely to play in a tournament run by someone who's been around for awhile.

So what do all of us have in common here?  We're all Dominion nerds who love to play Dominion.  Make your tournament website something that will appeal to a Dominion nerd.  Perhaps you could do something with material gain (doesn't need to be monetary).  I know a ton of people here would be like a herd of monkeys over the last banana if a tournament had some sort of sweet Dominion related art for a prize like a blown up print of card art for instance.  There's also the custom coin token treasure chest that I've seen floating around.  Give people some sort of motivation for why your tournament site is unique from playing a tournament hosted on the DS forum. 

That's all I've got to say now.  I'm not trying to dissuade you from this because I think it's an awesome idea.  You've just got a lot of things to overcome to make your site popular and active.

Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

TheMirrorMan

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 10:26:28 am »

Leo,

Although I'm interested in a lot of the ideas you're posting ... Could you also put some timeframe and general idea ?

I mean, we've had a post for European championships, DominionStrategy championships, signups ...

In the meantime, I'm enormously eager to see Kirian kick off the new GokoDom. And he assumed that you were trying to organize all above in a short period of time.
Here comes the mirror man. Says he's a people fan.

Leo1997

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 12:29:08 pm »

Thanks for your feedback,

and dont forget! I dont want a splitting of us in DominionStrategy Fans and IDA Fans, NEVER NEVER NEVER
I am a fan auf ds.

I dont will: DS or IDA
I want: DS and (maybe) IDA

But of course it is up to you to sign in in IDA

Leo1997

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 02:01:11 pm »

For Math-Fans.
I created a page "Dominion and Maths"
visit www.idadominion.wordpress.com

Is it a good idea?

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 02:16:45 pm »
+10

Leo, you seem like you are trying to do too much all at once, and that worries people who might think you wont see parts of it through to completion before going off on another tangent.

Your new maths blog is a prime example, it uses some complicated equations that only true maths geeks would understand but then dumb it down with phrases like 'It is very large, isn’t it?' and "I have 10 children. How many different groups with 4 children could I form?. "  which is aimed at maths novice users.

You'll never find a target audience if you try to do it all.

I would suggest one small tournament first, so A) you get some practice, B) you get to gauge interest and C) you actually find out for yourself exactly how running a tournament works before you go off doing massively large world championship style ones and then finally D) People will see your tournament run sucessfully and be keen to be part of your next project

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 03:20:00 pm »
+2

For Math-Fans.
I created a page "Dominion and Maths"
visit www.idadominion.wordpress.com

Is it a good idea?

edge case: Young Witch.  You need to add a few more kingdoms to your total.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 09:30:17 pm »
+1

Ozle said what I was thinking, only in a more clear and probably more tactful way than I could have. How many times have you heard that before, Ozle?  :P

But in all seriousness, I LOVE TOURNAMENTS, like quite a lot. I'd really like to be part of a Dominion tournament league but I'm not about to go joining one that only takes two tournaments into account -- only one of which I've actually participated in (2012 DS Championships, where I was eliminated in the first round). That was my first tournament ever, where I made my first YouTube videos ever, and I'd like to think I've come a long way since then (like the GokoDom tournaments and World Cup and such). Maybe it's difficult to include those in your scale, but if there was one coherent tournament that anyone could join right now I would be all over it.

I don't play in tournaments to prove how good I am or get a rank or anything. I don't really care about that when I play Dominion. I like playing because it's fun and I want to get better, and I play in tournaments because I get to play matches against high-level players under circumstances where I get to focus only on winning the game. It's certainly unique. I just want to play the game.

Anyways, that's my perspective.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 08:01:58 am »
+4

Ozle said what I was thinking, only in a more clear and probably more tactful way than I could have. How many times have you heard that before, Ozle?  :P

Ack, i must have forgotten to change to one of my more sensible login when I wrote that!

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 08:03:36 am »
+2

What I dont want though Leo is for you to lose your enthusiasm, Dominion is awesome! Keep being excited!

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 12:23:04 pm »

Look, I'd be interested in joining a Tournament, but yeah, not sure how I feel about giving my email to you. You have lots of exclamation marks all over the place, and my spam email has that too. I know you aren't going to do anything with it and I know you're not spam, but I still don't know how I feel about it.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 12:33:01 pm »

simple: you give the gmail address [realaddress]+LeoDominion@gmail.com  the email still goes to you, but if it ends up getting spammed it all goes to an easily filtered and detectable source

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 01:40:08 pm »

simple: you give the gmail address [realaddress]+LeoDominion@gmail.com  the email still goes to you, but if it ends up getting spammed it all goes to an easily filtered and detectable source
Like it is hard to reconstruct the real address from that...

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2014, 03:39:19 pm »
+2

That's why I always sign up for sketchy websites like f.DS using +++space+kitty+3000+++crumpet++dishwasher+@gmail.com.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2014, 03:57:08 pm »

That's why I always sign up for sketchy websites like f.DS using +++space+kitty+3000+++crumpet++dishwasher+@gmail.com.

Totally your real email.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 20 queries.