Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15  All

Author Topic: Schedule and Results: 2011 DominionStrategy.com Championships  (Read 141918 times)

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +234
    • View Profile
Re: Schedule and Results: 2011 DominionStrategy.com Championships
« Reply #325 on: December 15, 2011, 01:42:50 pm »
+2

mathguy 47 - 61 boloni
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111214-082133-11709d71.html
A colony game in which boloni played masterfully. This is a textbook example of how to build an engine. I thought I played well, but boloni played extremely well.

Sorry, something I just have to point out:
apparently this is a colony game. In a Colony game, I am always very happy when my opponent opens a bishop. And you actually take Royal Seal+Silver in your first $8 turn. Should I repeat? This is a Colony game.

Frankly speaking you didn't play much differently from pure BM. In a Colony game, after your first or second gold, a Lab is probably much better. Same for the Stables I believe. This game Boloni just won because of the two big mistake you make. He didn't even take advantage of the highway+HoP combo. If you take a gold that turn, and take stables instead of golds afterwards,  I fully expect you can win this one from his slow bishop start.

painted_cow

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 15, 2011, 01:56:57 pm »

not to mention the Highway+Bishop-combo (not)  ;)

first

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 15, 2011, 03:17:03 pm »

Chapel Division
First 4:2 pulpix

Game 1 pulpix 46:21
Early Possession for pulpix. My decision to buy Margrave on turn 5 was dubious, since clearly pulpix had Hamlet/Watchtower, but taking I think Contraband wasn't useful.

Game 2 First 33:20
Highway rush, with Council Room and University. Cellar is very nice in getting your key cards together, and there is Forge on board (costs are reduced by Highway, but that doesn't matter). I finished the game by playing all three Council Rooms and buying the last three Provinces. One thing to note is: my Potion/Cellar opening resulted in 3:1 Universities, but still 5:5 Highways. I guess it doesn't matter much in racing for $5, but it gives me necessary action for Council Room.

Game 3 First 35:33
Big Money vs TR/Nobles/Festival. The game is very close, with 4:4 Nobles. My spy managed to discard pulpix's Masquerade twice. Smuggler might be a deciding factor, since I gained one Festival and one Gold (not many $3 cards could do that). I think we should get Smuggler earlier since Nobles is on the board, but I mostly drew $4+ and bought Throne Room or Festival.

Game 4 First 38:35
pulpix admitted that he didn't see Tactician/Fool's Gold combo, and also ignored Familiar, telling me that he had to take a risk with 1:2 wins so far. He could build a better Bishop engine if he threw in some Tactician earlier, I believe.

Game 5 pulpix 35:26
This is a very good trashing lesson. I got early Chapel from Black Market and even trashed three estates in turn 8, but got beaten very bad. I got a thinner deck, but still couldn't draw Potion to keep my Alchemist engine going every turn like him (we both have one Wharf). By the time he bought Mountebank and played it right away, I knew that's the game for me. I guess it's because of Chapel I was behind in Alchemist race, and would be a mirror match if I didn't buy it.

Game 6 First 33:22
Silly game with Young Witch/Tunnel/Embassy. pulpix got a very bad draw, with all four action cards (2 YWs, 2 Embassies) in one hand, and the Tunnel split was 5:3. It is interesting to note that his Watchtowers doesn't help much, and could have been better if he used it to trash a curse, not as a bane card.

These are pretty close games, with no Crazy KC/Goons or whatever. Thanks for the friendly games, pulpix.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 04:44:45 pm by first »

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #328 on: December 15, 2011, 05:50:46 pm »

FYI, Delseban has been disqualified from the tournament, and def is taking his place.

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +234
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 15, 2011, 05:53:06 pm »

Care to share why?

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #330 on: December 15, 2011, 05:56:01 pm »

Delseban PMed def explaining the situation, admitted that he was wrong, and conceded his spot.

lolrob

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
    • Hypotheticools
« Reply #331 on: December 15, 2011, 09:15:04 pm »
+1

lolrob (16) defeats jonts26 (1) in the chapel division, 4-2

Tight series, all quite interesting boards, all quite quick boards, six games were done within forty minutes.

Game 1 - jonts26
Forgot the game log, but it was a treasure heavy board where none were particularly desired and jonts opened merchant ship/pawn to my mandarin/merchant ship/pawn. Mandarin once again couldn't pull his weight.

Game 2 - lolrob 43 - jonts26 - 36
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/15/game-20111215-171157-5065f44d.html
We both choose to avoid mandarin this time, and I open highway/herbalist to his remake/cellar, hoping to pull of a double province turn. I think there was one turn I could have, but I instead went highway/highway?? But in the end I got to 8 first to secure that last province.

Game 3 - lolrob 39 - jonts26 -34
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/15/game-20111215-171653-846113be.html
Interesting for a Jack board. We both quickly get two, and for my third action I opt for ambassador, while jonts26 goes for Witch. I ambassador over coppers over estates early in the game, knowing he couldn't trash them, but I'm not sure if that was the right move. Then we both rushed IGGs, making his witch fairly obsolete.

Game 4 - jonts26 59 - lolrob
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/15/game-20111215-172503-086bd6cc.html
The only real thrashing, I went for oasis and tunnel, not seeing there was a cellar for half the games. Jonts26 had his goons, which I thought tunnel would counter nicely. I was wrong

Game 5 - lolrob 54 - jonts26 42
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/15/game-20111215-173146-487d9c06.html
Very cool game. As jonts26 said in the chat "you don't often see wishing well in high demand". We both hit bridge/wishing well/peddlers. I only had the intention of getting heaps of peddlers, but jonts26 apparently planned to expand them into colonies. I edged him out in the end, wishing for peddlers at the right time, and my haggler helped a lot in my buy colony/gain a platinum turns.

Game 6 - lolrob 58 - jonts26 45
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/15/game-20111215-173952-8b26701b.html
My militia/steward to his militia/silver probably made the difference. Catographer/draw is always nice, I was able to use steward as a +4$  a couple of times

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #332 on: December 15, 2011, 09:19:20 pm »
+4

A top seed -- in fact the top seed -- falls! 

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 15, 2011, 09:48:06 pm »

chwhite (1) defeats rspeer (17) in the Gardens division 4-2:

Game 1: chwhite 52 d. rspeer 16: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/15/game-20111215-172129-3bf6fcaa.html

We both open Sea Hag/nothing, whee, and then on turn 3 my Sea Hag hits rspeer's Sea Hag.  This game was decided more or less entirely by that stroke of bad luck, and frankly I felt pretty dirty taking that W.

Game 2: chwhite 68 d. rspeer 43: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/15/game-20111215-173506-e4ef1f33.html

Ugh, it's a Jack game.  But there are Colonies, so the DoubleJack bot is not likely to work.  I get one anyway, while rspeer does the high-variance thing and grabs a Noble Brigand; we both get Margraves and cash and a couple other less-important cards.  rspeer's Brigand gets a bunch of my Silvers but can't touch the Platina; perhaps unsurprisingly with Jack out it ends on Provinces.

No, I never actually played that Adventurer.

Game 3: rspeer 15 d. chwhite 13: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/15/game-20111215-174740-2018c252.html

So you remember when I extolled the virtues of Bureaucrat here?  Well I saw Bureaucrat and Rabble and Hamlet and I was all like booyah I'm gonna try and build a Bureaucrat engine and it's going to be awesome.  Well, no, Island would have been a much better opener, especially with Workshop/Highway shenanigans on tap, and rspeer was in control for the three-pile ending.  The B-crat isn't that good.

Game 4: rspeer 51 d. chwhite 41: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/15/game-20111215-175612-febc4f5d.html

Bishops and money; we both Minted for extra trashing.  I got a Vault and greened early, but definitely went after the Duchies way too early and sputtered to an ignonimous halt.

Game 5: chwhite 49 d. rspeer 37: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/15/game-20111215-181308-55b5b987.html

Apothecary and Possession were the key cards here (with a bit of Oasis support); I think rspeer's Contraband was not a great idea but otherwise we did very similar things.  I get a few more green cards in my deck early and got the last Province to split 5-3 after the Duchies and Estates had been evenly cleared out.  Looking at the log, I think we both missed opportunities to screw with each other, rspeer not leaving as much green on my deck on Possession turns as he could have, me when I Contrabanded Provinces instead of Duchies on a turn where rspeer wasn't going to suicide on the last Province anyway.

Also, I'm pretty sure this is the first game in a very long time I actually bought a Philosopher's Stone.

Game 6: chwhite 36 d. rspeer 13: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/15/game-20111215-182129-1d6ccacb.html

Unstoppable Hunting Party Stack, with Expand as the terminal.  rspeer's Loan and University were just way too slow.

Thanks for the games rspeer; you definitely outplayed me in a couple of the games and could very easily have won had your luck been a little better, especially in that silly Game 1.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 10:10:47 pm by chwhite »
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 15, 2011, 10:00:47 pm »
+2

Man, I know right. I need some other big upsets so I don't feel too bad over here. And I guess I have to pull for lolrob, who had a good series. I guess I'll give a bit of commentary since I wont get the chance again.

Overall I think lolrob had a bit more luck on his side. That said, I would say he outplayed me as I made quite a few misplays.

Game 1: I'm not sure when mandarin is ever a good opening, but it sure wasn't here. Merchant Ship/BM. Not much else to say.

Game 2: I think mine was the much better plan, but lolrob executed better than I did. Conspirator is one of my favorite cards and I love building engines around it. The game plan was conspirator engine with highway/cellar support and remake to thin the deck. Building these types of engines can be kind of like walking a tightrope. It can be extremely fast if done right, but it also stalls. Hard. It was clear about 3/4 though that I started greening probably 2 turns too early. I should have picked up another conspirator and a horse trader before dipping into the provinces, even with my draw of $8. His deck, while slower, was more resilient to greening and he takes it.

Game 3: I kind of like this board. Witch vs IGG, Jack vs Witch, Jack vs Ambassador. Lots going on. I stand by my decision to open Jack/silver over lolrob's Jack/Amb. However, my big mistake was taking witch over jack and then getting another jack. Too many terminals causing collisions really slowed me down. I'd have been better off doing double jack/IGG into provinces. In this case, probably use the IGG's gain a copper option more sparingly. I also feel this is the game where I had rotten luck. Final deck composition, I had 4 golds and 10 silvers and fewer coppers to his 1 gold and 12 silvers. I did buy the penultimate province, but only because I needed both to win.

Game 4: Tunnel is so often a trap card.  Lolrob opened with the intent of discarding tunnels to cellar and oasis. Both cards that fair very poorly with hand reduction attacks. So with his deck full of those and tunnels, I didn't mind so much giving him free gold to my Goons. Even with his 16 gold, he had a hard time lining them up with all that junk.

Game 5: Yeah, expanding the peddlers to colonies was the right  move on this board. That haggler though. Man. That killed me. Buying a colony to gain platinum is killer and I think he did it twice. Plus he found himself on the better end of the peddler split. Probably due to first turn advantage. He didn't notice the expand peddler to colony option until after I did it. Then he bought an expand and got it to work with his better peddler density.

Game 6: Yeah this game was most likely decided in the first 4 turns. I fell behind quite quickly, and while I made a valiant effort to catch up, it was to no avail. His Militia/Steward to my militia/silver was probably the deciding factor. It was worth the risk of collision. The steward gave some early trashing but more imporantly, some card draw with the cartographers to line up $8 hands. But he gets a turn 3 Gold and I get militia'ed and stuck with a milita/silver turn 3/4. That really hurt. There was one point towards the end I could have one with a good draw, but alas, the fates would not excuse my sloppy play.

EDIT: lolrob, did you .... did you upvote theory's comment? MOCK INDIGNATION  >:(

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 15, 2011, 10:08:34 pm »
+1

chwhite (1) defeats rspeer (17) in the Gardens division, 4-2.

Game 1: chwhite 52 - rspeer 16
This game was a failure of Dominion. The board had one correct strategy, which was Sea Hag > Hunting Party > everything else. His Hag discarded mine, then my Hag missed the next shuffle too. Game over.

Game 2: rspeer 43 - chwhite 68
My Noble Brigand opening fails. I can't slow chwhite down in getting Platinum and I can't steal the Platinum once he has it. (2-0)

Game 3: rspeer 15 - chwhite 13
I win this game by getting the Highway/Workshop combo going (with Hamlet for +buys) earlier than chwhite -- though I ultimately win by emptying the Island pile, which doesn't even need the highways. chwhite's Bureaucrat slows him down. He explains that he's been finding cool uses for Bureaucrat recently, possibly overcorrecting from never playing it; but it certainly didn't work in this game. (2-1)

Game 4: chwhite 41 - rspeer 51
chwhite's Bishop + Vault + money gets him the first two provinces; I play straight Bishop + money and catch up soon after, and then it's decided by the random whims of the endgame. (2-2)

Game 5: chwhite 49 - rspeer 37
A Possession game with no good $4 and $5 cards. chwhite buys 4 Oases. I buy a Contraband at one point, which ends up not being quite as bad as it sounds, but yeah, buying an Oasis with $5P would probably have been the better plan. Hey, at least I didn't buy an Outpost. (3-2)

Game 6: rspeer 13 - chwhite 36
There are Hunting Parties. I buy a Loan for some reason. When I don't get $5 on the next shuffle I buy a Potion, so I can buy a University, so I can pick up Hunting Parties laughably slowly. Anyway, chwhite gets five of the hunting parties before I get any, and buys his seventh province on turn 15. (4-2)

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 15, 2011, 11:30:02 pm »
+1

No, I never actually played that Adventurer.

Somehow this reminds me of not one but two famous Bill Clinton quotations.

ckb

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 16, 2011, 05:25:55 am »

ckb 4-1 KristianBahle
30-14, Gardens Division

Game 1: ckb 38-25 KristianBahle
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/16/game-20111216-011123-ace8242e.html
With both Mountebank and Ill-Gotten Gains, no surprise that all the curses were given out by turn 11. Not sure why I never bought a Trading Post. In the end I was able to finish the game by running out the Tournaments using Princess.

Game 2: ckb 25-28 KristianBahle
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/16/game-20111216-011920-25f0ede9.html
Not much to go on here besides Remake / Expand and Big Money. I even bought Explorer for lack of much else to do. I gambled on my last turn, hoping that my opponent wouldn't be able to get more than a Province. I was wrong, and he won.

Game 3: ckb 98-75 KristianBahle
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/16/game-20111216-013755-02147dd4.html
This game lasted way longer than it should have. I started buying green cards too early, thinking that Crossroads would make up for it. Unfortunately I neglected to buy enough Crossroads and the game stalled out for a long time with 1 Colony and 1 Province left. My opponent started going heavy on Bishops, presumably to rack up the points while I floundered, but I maintained enough of a lead and eventually drew a Colony hand to put it away.

Game 4: ckb 31-24 KristianBahle
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/16/game-20111216-014539-792c7bb5.html
Fairly straightforward game with Festival / Menagerie / Cellar / Steward. I bought some Embargoes to try to stave off a Fool's Gold rush that I didn't think would help me. Our decks ended up near-identical, and I bought Provinces on 5 of my last 6 turns to win.

Game 5: ckb 34-24 KristianBahle
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/16/game-20111216-015712-6589facc.html
This game had several Curse-givers as well as Ambassador available. At first no one went for the Curse-givers, and we traded cards back and forth with Ambassador for a while. Eventually my opponent bought a Mountebank and with his two Ambassadors, my deck rapidly started to fill up with bad cards. I managed to get enough Provinces while my deck was still reasonable though, and with the help of Haven and Ambassador to concentrate my good cards pulled off the win.

KristianBahle

« Reply #338 on: December 16, 2011, 07:05:01 am »

ckb 4-1 KristianBahle

I don't feel like I played particulary well this round, but I can't really pinpoint what was exactly wrong ? I don't know why I was so faaar behind in every games, if anyone with too much time on his hands wants to review the games and give his opinion, I'd be happy to hear it.

Anyway this tournament is a great initiative, I hope we won't have to wait one bloody year to see the 2nd edition :)

Thanks again and gl to everyone, I am eager to see some clashes between the best isotropic grinders !

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +128
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 16, 2011, 10:46:21 am »
+1

Excited to see what happens between WanderingWinder and allfail, #7 vs #16 on the leaderboard. Should be an interesting match.

painted_cow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 16, 2011, 11:10:13 am »

Man, so much love for the topseeds :-( Looks that theory wants all the topseeds to fail :-(

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 16, 2011, 11:12:38 am »
+1

Man, so much love for the topseeds :-( Looks that theory wants all the topseeds to fail :-(

You're next  ;)

painted_cow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 16, 2011, 11:14:05 am »

I guess massive likes coming up on this  8)

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #343 on: December 16, 2011, 11:18:52 am »

Tournaments have more legitimacy when the top seeds win than when they lose.

At the same time, there's nothing like the challenge of facing off against one of the best players in the world to motivate yourself to get better and go for an upset.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #344 on: December 16, 2011, 11:21:32 am »

Excited to see what happens between WanderingWinder and allfail, #7 vs #16 on the leaderboard. Should be an interesting match.
I think that Captain_Frisk had the toughest draw out of anyone at his level.

mischiefmaker

• Golem
  • Respect: +108
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: December 16, 2011, 12:50:22 pm »
+1

^ Agree, when the bracket was first posted, I looked through it, saw WW, Frisk, and allfail all clumped together, and thought, "Man, I'm glad I'm not in that portion of the bracket."

If anyone has a bunch of free time and access to old leaderboards, I'm curious whether level (skill - variance) has been a better predictor of results, or whether skill by itself would have been better.

Also, yikes, what happened with the bottom of the Witch division? No seed is safe down there...

mathguy

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 16, 2011, 02:41:48 pm »

mathguy 47 - 61 boloni
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111214-082133-11709d71.html
A colony game in which boloni played masterfully. This is a textbook example of how to build an engine. I thought I played well, but boloni played extremely well.

Sorry, something I just have to point out:
apparently this is a colony game. In a Colony game, I am always very happy when my opponent opens a bishop. And you actually take Royal Seal+Silver in your first $8 turn. Should I repeat? This is a Colony game.

Frankly speaking you didn't play much differently from pure BM. In a Colony game, after your first or second gold, a Lab is probably much better. Same for the Stables I believe. This game Boloni just won because of the two big mistake you make. He didn't even take advantage of the highway+HoP combo. If you take a gold that turn, and take stables instead of golds afterwards,  I fully expect you can win this one from his slow bishop start.

Thanks for the feedback!

Circumstantial evidence in my defence: My second use of royal seal (turn 9) gives me $7 so I get a gold which I use on turn 10 to get a platinum. This wouldn't have happened had I used my early (turn 4) $8 on a gold. In my first use of royal seal (turn 6) I was also happy that it was a royal seal and not a gold.

def

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 16, 2011, 04:12:36 pm »

Given all these top matches, I just thought that it would be cool if it was possible to be a kibitzer on isotropic. Or if maybe at least the final could somehow be broadcasted as a livestream (one player could stream it, but (minor problem) would reveal his hand this way to everyone, including his opponent, if he wants to see it).

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 16, 2011, 04:55:07 pm »

Given all these top matches, I just thought that it would be cool if it was possible to be a kibitzer on isotropic. Or if maybe at least the final could somehow be broadcasted as a livestream (one player could stream it, but (minor problem) would reveal his hand this way to everyone, including his opponent, if he wants to see it).

Is there a way to just livestream a portion of the screen?
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #349 on: December 16, 2011, 05:08:25 pm »

Is there a way to just livestream a portion of the screen?
Yes.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15  All

Page created in 1.057 seconds with 21 queries.