Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15  All

Author Topic: Schedule and Results: 2011 DominionStrategy.com Championships  (Read 141911 times)

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
Re: Schedule and Results: 2011 DominionStrategy.com Championships
« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2011, 01:38:28 am »

Qvist (37) - carlosthedwarf aka buzzmcnab (28) 4:0 in the Chapel Division
We played with veto mode, identical card hands and point counter.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111130-212513-b7450a02.html
Qvist 42 - buzzmcnab 21
That was a Young Witch Colony match with Cellar as Bane Card.
I open Cellar/Young Witch while he opens Fishing Village/Young Witch.
I buy a second cellar, so I can play my Young Witch more frequently and can ban his Young Witch.
He buy an Upgrade and can trash the curses while I bought my second YW
I managed to get money faster as I got Platinum in Turn 11 and my second in turn 13.
Then we go for Rabble and Peddlers and I buyed some Apprentices to trash my Young Witches.
Later I could deplete 3 piles with a 4-1 Colony split.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111130-213726-5e905195.html
Qvist 32 - buzzmcnab 28
That was a close match. We had both the same strategy. Buy 1-2 Hagglers to buy Wharf with Shanty Town.
He managed that to do better while I concentraded to buy more money.
He already had 4 Provinces while I had 2, when I got lucky to get enough money to buy the last two, so my 2 Islands made the difference.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111130-214839-1bb30394.html
Qvist 36 - buzzmcnab 27
That was another close match. We both go for Quarry as there are many nice action cards and one Woodcutter as the only source for +Buy. Then we buyed Crossroads for +Actions and added 2 Vaults for getting Gold. While he got more Crossroads, I bought more Menageries, but it was basically the same strategy. I made the mistake to buy the second last province in a 3-3 split, but he didn't got his Woodcutter, so had to buy a Duchy. So I got lucky and could end on a 5-3 split.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111130-221017-d97ce67e.html
Qvist 57 - buzzmcnab 37
That was a very mean play on my side, sorry for that buzzmcnab. I opened Double Ambassador and with Courtyard and Fishing and Walled Village on the board I managed to spam him with Estates and Coppers. Then I buyed a Curse and spammed Curses. He struggled very well by massively forging the trash, but that was still slow. So after a few Colonies I tried to deplete the Fishing Village and Courtyard pile, then buzzmcnab gave up by depleting the last pile. So sorry, not a very good game to end the series.

But it was very fun, he was a very good and fair opponent, I like to play with again anytime soon.
Edit: Changed to councilroom links
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 03:50:04 am by Qvist »

theParty

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 01, 2011, 01:39:41 am »

theparty looses to grep 4-3.  logs will be posted when councilroom updates.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Buggz

• Spy
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2011, 02:27:23 pm »

In my first game with boloni he had a disconnect in the 12th turn and was after a while automatically booted from the game. Points before the disconnect was 22 to 18 points in my favor. How would you rule that, theory?

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2011, 02:28:37 pm »

Yikes.  Resolving these kinds of disputes is the worst part of a referee's job.  Do you have an incomplete log?  It doesn't sound like you had an insurmountable advantage, but maybe the game reflects differently.

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2011, 02:35:26 pm »
+1

Just one dude's opinion, but I'd put it Buggz's discretion whether to replay the game or take the win (regardless of the score at the time of disconnect).

def

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2011, 02:36:45 pm »

def 4 - 1 Daimun

1:0 fast trashing game with Trading Post and Apprentice were more luck was on my side
2:0 lucky early Possession, which didn't really help since my opponent nicely made it useless by rushing victory cards, but this way I got enough time to get 9 Hunting Parties and a few Golems.
3:0 Both sides choosing Masquerade over Ambassador
3:1 Better deck management by Daimun here in an cantrip-heavy game with discard-drawers and Menagerie being the important cards.

4:1 - I'm dumb and closed the window without copying the gamelog. I'm choosing Masquerade again over the too slow (they worked, but too late) Apothecaries here. Can I edit later on when councilroom updates?

Thanks for playing, Daimun. Maybe until next year?!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 02:44:19 pm by def »

Buggz

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 01, 2011, 02:55:08 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/01/game-20111201-111527-b2b1c9fc.html
No particularly insurmountable advantage, but I was close to having the best part off a province split. I think we'll just ignore that game.

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2011, 03:11:42 pm »

Yikes.  Resolving these kinds of disputes is the worst part of a referee's job.  Do you have an incomplete log?  It doesn't sound like you had an insurmountable advantage, but maybe the game reflects differently.
It might be a good idea for players to agree to a procedure in these cases beforehand, probably such that any disconnect game is adjudicated by one of the organizers.

This is, of course, if our gracious organizers are okay with this.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2011, 03:21:41 pm »
+1

And now for a Round 2 match!

michaeljb vs [UWSFFS] I Eat Tables, seeds 12 vs 44 in the Chapel Division.

michaeljb 4-1 [UWSFFS] I Eat Tables

Game 1: michaeljb 37-33 [UWSFFS] I Eat Tables
Mountebank was the dominant card here. We both picked up some Tournaments which for the most part acted as Peddlers, but Tables did end up getting Followers. The most divergent aspects of our decks was I picked up a Loan and a second Mountebank, Tables passed on the Loan and picked up Governors after his one Mountebank. My Loan did a decent job at thinning and lessening the hurt of the Mountebank. Tables went for some self-synergy with the Governors, picking up some Golds and late trashing them for Provinces. It wasn't looking great for me when that happened, but a late Mandarin buy actually proved useful; top-decking the Treasure let me buy a Province the next turn, and the one time I played it, it provided the coin I needed for the last Province and the win.

Game 2: michaeljb 37-31 [UWSFFS] I Eat Tables
Torturer was on the board, but City was the only +Actions; I figured Minion was the way to go, since it's a decent enough counter to Torturer and is certainly strong on its own anyway. It seems Tables had the same idea, and so the Torturers went entirely neglected. There were some Remakes, Menageries, and a Haven for each of us. Most significantly, Tables got his Treasure down to a single Silver, I had a Gold and 2 Silvers and didn't manage to trash all of my Coppers. We were pretty close as the Provinces went down, which led to a Duchy dance; I had a one Province advantage, and once the Duchies were out I bought the final Menagerie for the win (Minions had been the first pile gone).

Game 3: michaeljb 54-39 [UWSFFS] I Eat Tables
The only game of the match where each Kingdom card got some serious attention, even though non of them were attacks. The cards were Adventurer, Develop, Envoy, Governor, Potion, Remake, Royal Seal, Shanty Town, Silk Road, Vineyard, and Worker's Village.
We both opened Remake/Silver and that's about where the similarities end. I was looking to buy an Envoy, an Adventurer and Worker's Villages, counting on Remake to get me to a high Treasure density. I picked up a few Royal Seals, but looking through the log again I realized I never used the top-decking ability, as I actually bought a Victory card every time I played a Seal. While I was working on my money+draw deck, Tables went for a Vineyard deck, trying to use Remake and Develop to convert Silvers and Estates to action cards. He took all 8 Vineyards, but just didn't have enough action cards in the deck to win. Silk Road was a key card because it gave me something to do other than trying to buy all 8 Provinces on my own; on one turn I even bought 2 Silk Roads instead of a Province, which I think was the right move--it ended up being worth the same number of points, it drove the game closer to its eventual 3-pile ending, and it denied Tables a chance at those points he could actually afford.

Game 4: michaeljb 49-67 [UWSFFS] I Eat Tables
In the only Colony game of the match, we get the 5/2 split on a board where the 4/3 looks like it's probably better, with Baron, Salvager, Horse Traders and Steward on the board. We both open Library/Pawn (so 5/2 wasn't really that bad) and mostly go Library+money. I bought a Salvager at first opportunity, but I was too aggressive with it, trashing a Gold and Platinum to enable Colony buys, which hurt my deck's economy too much, allowing Tables to take the game with his simpler Library+money deck.

Game 5: michaeljb 30-24 [UWSFFS] I Eat Tables
My deck design pretty much from the start: 2 Witches, a Trader, a Warehouse, Hamlets and money. Tables picked up an Oasis (I figured it might conflict with the already small hand sizes I would get from Warehouse and Hamlet), a Cellar, and a Great Hall late. Looking through the log again I think I may have got pretty luck this game--Tables drew quite a few more hands of $3 and the like than I did despite our similar deck builds and fairly even Curse split (5-4 my favor at the end, 1 left in the Supply). I hit hands that enabled Gold buys far more frequently (my deck ended with 5 Golds to Tables' 1) and that kept my deck going until I hit the last Province.

Overall it really was a good series with some pretty tense moments. I Eat Tables was certainly a worthy opponent and I had a blast playing him. Thanks again for the great match.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2011, 03:29:37 pm »

Definitely Buggz's game imo, and I don't see how you could rule otherwise tbh. Of course, I'm not a judge :)

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2011, 03:34:50 pm »

thief division:
lespeutere [16] - gt_peter [49] 4 - 2
close games all the way

1 - 0: 28:19 http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111128-122802-f5f38d04.html
I bought chapel straight away, while he went for FV/silver to grab the mountebank earlier. I bought a second mountebank earlier and went for a 5/3 advantage of provinces.

1 - 1: 36:41 http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111128-123600-d6de8457.html
We both start baron/warehouse but peter manages to grab 3 gold in turns 3-5, while I buy one only, plus one silver and a hunting party. He skips hunting party and goes for BM with nobles support.

2 - 1: 45:26 http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111128-125302-028afc99.html
Hunting parties lose again, but that is because of sea hag. I reach a 7/3 split in curses in my favor by buying inns and reshuffling sea hag twice into my drawing pile. Plus I grabbed some vine yards with my +buy from nomad camp.

2 - 2: 30:32 http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111128-130803-8264cbdf.html
peter buys witch/chapel with 5/2 which I try to counter with the jack of all trades and chapel. I skip witches completely but try to use shanty town or 3 card turns of outpost with joat which works ok until peter overtakes me finally.

3 - 2: 39:35 http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111201-121856-46223fc8.html
I use Golem to get my 2 bazaars and envoys running whil peter stays with 2 bazaars and BM.

4 - 2: 45:40 http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111201-122806-eed73782.html
peter gets two torturers which I use with menageries to cycle fast. With 4 silk roads each (to get gold from hoard) I win with a 5/3 split in provinces.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 12:09:10 pm by lespeutere »

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2011, 03:41:37 pm »

DG 4 : 1 Maxxx. (10vs 55 thief division). Some elaborate plays in all these games. Maxxx said he was still learning Dominion so he played a fair game in that case. I'm not sure what he'd learn from this peculiar collection though.

DG 31 : 27 Maxxx http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/01/game-20111201-113809-e712eee6.html
         - trash treasure maps and draw gold same turn
DG 40 : 32 Maxxx http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/01/game-20111201-115138-cb1eceb7.html
          - repeated tactician turns with throned actions
DG 19 : 32 Maxxx http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/01/game-20111201-121415-774fe1ee.html
          - neat use of all the intrigue cards
DG 13 : -4 Maxxx http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/01/game-20111201-122512-f3aa9a01.html
          - take 15 cards from the native village mat
DG 18 : xx Maxxx http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/01/game-20111201-123408-2c00ba04.html
          - worker's village and peddlers
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 03:54:02 pm by DG »

Buggz

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2011, 03:58:55 pm »
+1

Well, it doesn't matter because I played poorly and lost a whopping 4-0(1).

Game 1, no contest
I'm thinking good old BM with the help of Bridge will do the trick while having bolonis Bishop help me trash a bit. My deck just got started and I was looking to get a 5-3 province split when he disconnected.

Game 2: Buggz 35 - boloni 44
We're both thinking the same thing and quickly empty the fishing villages remaking our estates. We start stocking up on duchies when none of us wants to break the PPV and we're in a 2 or 3 point lead every other turn. He decides to break it leaving me in the position to win if I can just get $8. I got $7.

BGame 3: Buggz 12 - boloni 25
We start off with a shortlived mountebank war. I glance a bit at the peddler-city combo but forget about extra buys, so when the spice merchant slows down I do too. Having very little experience with scheme I completely overlooked it, boloni didn't and secured his victory.

Game 4: Buggz 24 - boloni 30
When boloni buys a potion I decide to ignore university and try to amass as many highways as possible before he gets going. I'm able to get 8 of them securing me easy provinces, but I sacrifice almost all my tresure to the spice merchant while doing so. When I slow down boloni speeds up and gets me in the nick of time.

Game 5: Buggz 1 - boloni 13
I played horribly, enough said. I ignored the minions because it's a colony game, but boloni is smarter than that and uses them to get some provinces while the piles are emptied. It's a rather nasty kingdom with both minion, mountebank AND ghost ship present. He manages to destroy my first ghost ship, and even though I get three more I only get to play it once. I suffer a complete brainfart when I even help him empty the piles at the end.

Congrats and well played, boloni!

PS: Did I just discredit the first player advantage?

EDIT: Gardens division.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 09:53:41 am by Buggz »

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2011, 04:04:42 pm »

For what it's worth, I was about to tell you to take the win in that first game, since you seemed pretty clearly ahead ...

I'm glad you were so cooperative about all this!

Buggz

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2011, 04:09:21 pm »
+3

I play because I like the game and have fun with it, being cooperative usually ensures it stays that way.

boloni

• Steward
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2011, 04:22:37 pm »
+1

In my first game with boloni he had a disconnect in the 12th turn and was after a while automatically booted from the game. Points before the disconnect was 22 to 18 points in my favor. How would you rule that, theory?

I think the best is to count it as a loss for the player who disconnected, unless both players agree on something else.

Anyway thank you for the games Buggz and Good Luck in the next tournament.

ackack

• Explorer
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2011, 04:43:17 pm »

Yeah, unless explicitly negotiated otherwise, it's gotta be a win for the remaining player, simply because otherwise there are some really bad incentives.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2011, 04:44:38 pm »

Gardens Division seed 3 vs seed 62: Geronimo 4 - studakris 0 (but we tied twice!!)

Geronimoo http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/01/game-20111201-121035-6ffea1ca.html
A Jack game where I use warehouses and Tunnels for extra fun. It was close, but that's because I was second player.

Tie http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/01/game-20111201-121935-32e57549.html
When my opponent opens $2 for Chapel I'm wondering if I can ever overcome that Ghost Ship advantage when I'm second player and opening $3/$4. I decide to skip the Chapel and try to race to Possession and abuse his trimmed deck which kind of works and I squeak out a tie.

Tie http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/01/game-20111201-123506-c24c7bba.html
Honestly, I don't understand this game. He opens Spice Merchant/Lookout and that just seems terrible to me, because I don't see an engine, so I just open Trader/Silver for some solid money gaining. Then suddenly he buys the Noble Brigand to steal my money and now he's got a much slimmer deck AND he's got Gold... oops! I panic a little and dive into the greens and get Brigands to get my money back. Again I squeak out the tie thanks to the Silvers I got from the trader, but I played this game horribly.

Geronimoo http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/01/game-20111201-124451-ba876fb9.html
Mountebank+money is my specialty and my inexperienced opponent opens Mountebank/Estate....

Geronimoo http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/01/game-20111201-125710-e2387e07.html
A HT/Duke game, but my opponent starts with a Duke which is unfortunate. I probably played this far from optimal, but won easily. Also I wonder if there's an engine to outrace the Dukes here?

Geronimoo http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/01/game-20111201-130908-396d76c9.html
Young Witch/Tunnel is nuts and we both open it. But then my opponent goes on the defensive by buying the bane over a Tunnel while I go for the proactive plan of more Tunnels and more Young Witches which is probably a little better. Mid game I don't really know what I'm doing (is Border Village a trap here???), but my better play from the early game gives me the win.

Fun games and despite his inexperience my opponent showed promise to become a decent engine builder!

DeepInTheHops

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2011, 04:58:36 pm »

Singular Moniker wins over DeepInTheHops in the Gardens. 4-2.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111130-161342-812f4d76.html
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111130-161721-1f71aa35.html
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111130-162355-7179f428.html
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111130-163129-98767e01.html
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111130-163549-2fc8f036.html
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111130-165044-81ac4e60.html

Fun games. Despite the loss, I ended up doing better than I thought I would, considering the leaderboard rank difference (although game 1 was kind of disheartening). Going 2-4, with two losses being decided by a single point, doesn't seem that bad. Wonderful ending in game 6, too. :)

Delseban

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2011, 05:03:52 pm »

Chapel Division:
Delseban (50) beats Lionel (15) 4-3

This user is banned.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15  All

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 21 queries.