Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Gain and play  (Read 6959 times)

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
Gain and play
« on: January 07, 2014, 10:15:43 pm »

With the famous University/Watchtower combo, you can gain a card and play it the same turn: gain with University, topdeck with Watchtower, play Watchtower and draw the gained card, play the gained card.

There are lots of other ways to gain a card and play it the same turn, but most of them involve having a deck-drawing engine.

However, there is at least one other two-card gain-and-play combo: two cards X and Y that are sufficient to guarantee your ability to gain a card and play it on the same turn.

(By "sufficient" I mean that no cards' abilities other than X and Y are used to execute the gain-and-play, and it can be done regardless of the condition of your deck and discard pile. There may still be edge cases that could prevent you—e.g., University/Watchtower fails if your handsize is larger than 7 or if there are no Actions costing up to $5 left in the supply—but I'll trust you to recognize such situations as mere edge cases that don't invalidate the premise.)

What are X and Y? There may be more than one valid answer, though I only have one in mind.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
Re: Gain and play
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 10:20:57 pm »
+2

Mine.
Similarly, Explorer, Ill-Gotten Gains, Trading Post, etc.

On your intended problem:
Can I use 2 X's and 1 Y? e.g. Village/Armory
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 10:28:36 pm by heron »

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 10:26:19 pm »

Mine.
Similarly, Explorer, Ill-Gotten Gains, Trading Post, etc.

Ah, whoops.

Okay, without gaining directly to hand.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 10:42:02 pm »
+1

Armory or Taxman with Venture

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 10:42:34 pm »
+1

Ironworks on an Action - Victory card with no cards remaining in the draw or discard.

@Mic: Bureaucrat, too.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 10:44:04 pm »
+1

with no cards remaining in the draw or discard.

(This stipulation is ruled out by the statement of the puzzle.)

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 10:45:04 pm »

Armory or Taxman with Venture

That's what I had in mind! Well, Armory is, anyway. I meant to phrase the question to exclude Taxman—can't count on having a Treasure in hand—but I see I didn't do that.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 10:49:37 pm »

(This stipulation is ruled out by the statement of the puzzle.)

But I thought that having cards in your draw or discard counted as an edge case!

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 02:06:01 am »

province/Tournament - self explanatory

Develop/Village: Village -> Develop (gain crap to deck top) -> Village

Procession/Watchtower: Prssn -> Prssn -> Prssn -> Prssn (its a may card, don't play anything, trash this Prssn, gain a 5, reveal Wt) -> Wt (draw 5) -> play 5 twice.

Venture/Treasure Map

Venture/Bag of Gold

Smartie

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 05:27:04 am »

Reveal fools gold on province buy and play village
Play village, Develop a estate and play village
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 05:31:25 am by Smartie »

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 05:37:23 am »

Just reveal Beggar to an attack and have Venture in hand, or a simple card that draws 1..

Any card that topdecks something can work this way.

Alternatively, you could have an all action deck, gain an action card and play a single Scrying Pool

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12867
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 01:30:50 pm »

Reveal fools gold on province buy and play village
How do you do that in a single turn?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 01:42:41 pm »

You could Ambassador a Province, so that another player gains it during your turn. Of course, then you need four cards in the combo (Fools Gold, Village, Ambassador, Province).
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 02:42:48 pm »
+3

Sea Hag / Council Room / Possession

...yes I know. Don't worry about it.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 09:11:00 pm »

I don't really like Armory/Venture as a solution.  Armory/Adventurer works just as well, as does nearly any nonterminal Treasure-gainer paired with Watchtower, such as Governor/Watchtower or Bandit Camp/Watchtower, and also Bag of Gold/"anything that draws a card". 

Gaining and playing a Treasure card is just too easy since the Treasure card doesn't require an Action to play.  Any solutions aside from University/Watchtower that can gain and play an Action card?
Well you *do* need a signature...

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 09:26:54 pm »

Does proccession-watchtower w/nonterminal count?

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 09:40:10 pm »
+1

I don't really like Armory/Venture as a solution.  Armory/Adventurer works just as well

…It does not; Armory/Adventurer requires a village. I take your general point though.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 09:50:36 pm »

I don't really like Armory/Venture as a solution.  Armory/Adventurer works just as well

…It does not; Armory/Adventurer requires a village. I take your general point though.

fair enough.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 09:53:46 pm »

I like jomini's Tournament/Province solution, although it is unclear to me whether an opponent blocking with a Province is an edge case or not.  I would say that "there are no prizes left" is an edge case, but "an opponent reveals a Province" is commonplace enough to not be an edge case.

jomini

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2014, 12:48:56 pm »

I don't really like Armory/Venture as a solution.  Armory/Adventurer works just as well, as does nearly any nonterminal Treasure-gainer paired with Watchtower, such as Governor/Watchtower or Bandit Camp/Watchtower, and also Bag of Gold/"anything that draws a card". 

Gaining and playing a Treasure card is just too easy since the Treasure card doesn't require an Action to play.  Any solutions aside from University/Watchtower that can gain and play an Action card?

Well if you don't like Province/Tournament I stand by Procession/Watchtower and Village/Develop.

Take a simple hand of Prssn x3/Wt x2. Play Prssn -> Prssn -> Prssn -> Wt (draw to six, gain a $4 action on deck top, reveal other Wt) -> Wt (draw $4) -> play $4 twice. The $4 card can be Prssn if needed.

Likewise, there are a lot of viable $4 villages you can use with Develop. Take the hand Fortress x3/Develop. Play: Fort -> Dev (Fort to Dev/Duchy, Dev on top) -> Fort (draw Dev) -> Dev (Fort to Dev/Duchy). You could also do this setup with Native Village/Dev.

Another option is Rats/Wt. Hand is Rats x2/Wt x3. Play a Rats (trash a Wt, gain a Rats, reveal a Wt) -> Rats (trash a Wt, draw a Rats, gain a Rats, reveal a Wt) -> Rats (trash a Wt, draw a card, gain a Rats).

Another option would be Upgrade/Wt with either a $6 or a $4 action on the board. Either upgrade Upgrades or Wts respectively and top the inbound card.

Urchin/Wt also works. Urchin x3/Wt: Urchin -> Urchin (trash this, gain a Mercenary, reveal Wt) -> Urchin (draw Mercenary) -> Mercenary

Depending on how you count "gain a card" - Mining Village/Graverobber: Mv (trash it) -> Grvr (gain Mv to deck top) -> Mv (draw Mv) -> Mv. You can either gain back the Mv you trashed this turn or gain one previously seeded into the trash.

A bigger stretch is Prssn/Fort. Prssn -> Fort (trash Fort, "gain" Fort) -> Fort.

In general, you can use any cantrip gainer (e.g. Urchin, Rats, Upgrade, Gov) with Wt and play the gainer multiple times to gain and then draw the new card with an action left. You can use drawing villages with a lot of top decking gainers (e.g. Graverobber, Dev), but you may have restrictions on what you need to make the puzzle work - e.g. Grvr works with most villages if you can start with 6 card hands: Village -> Grvr (trash Grvr) -> Village -> Grvr (gain Grvr) -> Village (draw Grvr) -> Grvr (regained).
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 01:01:18 pm by jomini »

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2014, 01:54:42 pm »

Doesn't the puzzle stipulate that not just 2 types of cards are used, but only 2 card copies are played? All the examples mentioned above consist of multiple copies of the same card, but the valid solutions do not.

jomini

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2014, 03:47:36 pm »

Doesn't the puzzle stipulate that not just 2 types of cards are used, but only 2 card copies are played? All the examples mentioned above consist of multiple copies of the same card, but the valid solutions do not.

It was not phrased as such, just merely that you were only using the abilities of X and Y.

With the original puzzle allowing money you can do things like Venture/B-crat, anything that draws - Bag of Gold, Bandit camp/Wt, and I'd still vote for Tournament/Province.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2014, 04:21:13 pm »

It was not phrased as such, just merely that you were only using the abilities of X and Y.

Yeah, I originally thought of adding a stipulation along the lines of "you must be able to do it from a hand consisting of only one X and one Y", but decided to leave it out because I thought that made the puzzle too wordy.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.