Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: I <3 Stash  (Read 2907 times)

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
I <3 Stash
« on: January 07, 2014, 10:19:04 am »
+2

Stash is my favorite promo card, by far. I love the simplicity and the different back (esp. when playing in person). It just screams "promo!" Too bad when it shows up in a kingdom, it is too often better to buy something else.

Code: [Select]
Chancellor, Oasis, Wishing Well, Gardens, Remodel, Salvager, Young Witch, Explorer, Highway, Stash, Harem
Chancellor is the bane in this game against SheCan'tSayNo. I figured with a limited amount of trashing and limited buys, Chancellor-Stash at least has a chance here. After picking up a Young Witch, I decided to just go for it (after almost chickening out -- note the early Wishing Well, which if I had committed should have been a Chancellor). SCSN went for lots of WWs, Highways, and a couple Salvagers.

It turned out to be the winning strategy because these Chancellors were LUCKY! How could have SCSN missed that?  ;)

Polk5440: turn 8
Polk5440 plays Young Witch
Polk5440 draws Copper, Estate
Polk5440 discards Estate
Polk5440 discards Estate
SheCantSayNo gains Curse
Polk5440 plays 4 Copper
Polk5440 buys Chancellor
Polk5440 gains Chancellor
Polk5440 draws Chancellor, Silver
Polk5440 places Stashes at locations: 3,2,1
Polk5440 shuffles deck
Polk5440 draws Stash, Stash, Stash

On turn 8 I knew there was a Chancellor in the bottom 4 cards of my deck. I play the Young Witch (there is a 50% chance I miss the Chancellor and set up the perfect shuffle: $8 and Chancellor in hand). I win the coin flip. Then two more perfect shuffles late seal the deal.

Polk5440: turn 13
Polk5440 places Stashes at locations: 4,3,2,1
Polk5440 shuffles deck
Polk5440 draws Stash, Stash, Stash, Stash, Chancellor

Polk5440: turn 14
Polk5440 plays Chancellor
Polk5440 moves deck to discards
Polk5440 plays 4 Stash
Polk5440 buys Province
Polk5440 gains Province
Polk5440 places Stashes at locations: 4,3,2,1
Polk5440 shuffles deck
Polk5440 draws Stash, Stash, Stash, Stash, Chancellor

Two questions for you:

1) Given my eventual strategy, the WW should have been a Chancellor. Should the Young Witch have been one, as well?

2) What's best here? Chancellor + Stash? Highway + WW engine? Explorer + money? Something else?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 10:21:08 am by Polk5440 »

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
Re: I <3 Stash
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 01:07:11 pm »
+1

I think Chancellor / Stash is really good because of it being the bane and any engine is likely to slow / not even possible.  Plus, a few curses won't even hurt you much.
A man on a mission.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 02:26:13 pm »
+1

I do think Chancellor/Stash is the best strategy here; I just missed it.

I don't think Chancellor being the bane is at all relevant, as any strategy involving YW is worse than a strategy without it, except YW-BM, but that should lose handily to the WW-Highway-Salvager engine.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 02:42:00 pm »
+1

Oh, ok. You said this in chat, but I thought you jokingly meant, "How did I miss buying Chancellor the one time it's dealing out perfect shuffle luck?!"

I didn't think you actually thought it was correct.

I don't think Chancellor being the bane is at all relevant, as any strategy involving YW is worse than a strategy without it, except YW-BM, but that should lose handily to the WW-Highway-Salvager engine.

Yeah,  after thinking about it more, I agree that buying the YW was a mistake.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 02:50:01 pm »
+1

Highway/Salvager seems like a really bad deck to build. Any reason you went that route over, say, Highway/Remodel? I mean, I get that Salvager gives an extra Buy, which is key for Highway. But Highway pretty much destroys any coin benefits you get from Salvager. With Highway/Remodel, at least you can turn Curses and Coppers into valuable cards.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 02:54:34 pm »

With the winstrels, you can play Salvager before the Highways - Remodel does seem almost strictly better for the purpose though, with the exception that Salvager in an empty hand still gives the +buy.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 02:56:26 pm by Warfreak2 »
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 03:08:22 pm »
+1

Remodel makes it harder to get to $5 during your 2nd shuffle, and it requires you to play 6 Highways before you can double Province. I guess it's fairly close, but I like Salvager a bit better.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 03:15:36 pm »
+1

With the winstrels, you can play Salvager before the Highways - Remodel does seem almost strictly better for the purpose though, with the exception that Salvager in an empty hand still gives the +buy.
Except, in this game there were no winstrels, only cards that wish they were.

Remodel would be better once you start going mass Highway, but Salvager is probably better early on when SCSN got it. You can't remodel Estates into Highways at the start, but trashing them with Salvager can help you buy one. Still, Remodel can turn Estates into Wishing Wells, and it can also turn Coppers into Wishing Wells with just one Highway in play.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 03:18:47 pm »
+1

Oh, I should read the board. For some reason I read WW and thought Wandering Minstrel, because AdamH (it is AdamH, isn't it?) calls them Wandering Winders. (As you spotted, I call them Winstrels.)

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 03:25:10 pm »
+2

Oh, I should read the board. For some reason I read WW and thought Wandering Minstrel, because AdamH (it is AdamH, isn't it?) calls them Wandering Winders. (As you spotted, I call them Winstrels.)
I also like to think of the minstrels as being Wandering Winders, but I know that the actual card shares the same acronym as Worker's Village. Seeing WW threw me off a bit and made me have to look at the board to confirm what was being referred to.

Edit: wait, Wandering Minstrel only looks like it has the same acronym as Worker's Village.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 03:28:44 pm by markusin »

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 03:37:29 pm »
+3

I think we need to rename Worker's Willage, Wandering Vinstrel and Wishing Mell - they are just too confusing.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 20 queries.