Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Sherlock  (Read 13960 times)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Re: Sherlock
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2014, 10:26:18 am »

I thought the first episode was just a little too much on the fanservice wink and nod.  Does anyone else feel similarly?

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2014, 10:37:47 am »

I thought the first episode was just a little too much on the fanservice wink and nod.  Does anyone else feel similarly?

Yes, but not to the point that it ruined my watching experience or enjoyment of the episode.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2014, 11:10:41 am »

Yes definitely
And the second episode was a little bit too much of highlighting the awkwardness.
Hopefully the third will bring it back to standard or there might not be such hype for a fourth set.

But this series hasn't grabbed me as much as the first two
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2014, 03:19:10 pm »
+1

My god these are weird.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2014, 03:21:58 pm »

Rewatched S3E1 yesterday, and as a railfan myself, I simply cannot buy that the guy who "likes trains" didn't immediately say "and there's an incomplete station on the route, they probably did something related to that." When dealing with the situation presented in the episode, that's the first thing a geek like myself would consider, not a day later after it's name-checked by the protagonist.  :P

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2014, 03:24:16 pm »

Rewatched S3E1 yesterday, and as a railfan myself, I simply cannot buy that the guy who "likes trains" didn't immediately say "and there's an incomplete station on the route, they probably did something related to that." When dealing with the situation presented in the episode, that's the first thing a geek like myself would consider, not a day later after it's name-checked by the protagonist.  :P

Totally agree with this.

As a Londoner I already know that there are loads of abandoned stations down there, so its the first thing I would have suggested

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2014, 05:34:34 pm »

Totally agree with this.

As a Londoner I already know that there are loads of abandoned stations down there, so its the first thing I would have suggested

But the plot of the episode wasn't centered around that. The whole bomb thing was secondary to Sherlock coming back. It honestly felt slapped in simply because they needed a mystery for him to solve.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2014, 05:35:45 pm »

Totally agree with this.

But the plot of the episode wasn't centered around that. The whole bomb thing was secondary to Sherlock coming back. It honestly felt slapped in simply because they needed a mystery for him to solve.

...I agree? I'm being whiny on an internet forum.  8)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2014, 05:44:59 pm »

Totally agree with this.

...I agree? I'm being whiny on an internet forum.  8)

I didn't mean for that to be some sort of counter-point or anything. :P It was actually more of a complaint from me. Whining on top of whining. It's just that the whole Sherlock coming back thing wasn't super exciting, and I would have liked that they take the extra time not to do mystery part, and put more about him coming back.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2014, 05:47:58 pm »

Interesting, i'd rather it was the other way and they made less fuss of that and more on the next case

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2014, 05:53:21 pm »

Interesting, i'd rather it was the other way and they made less fuss of that and more on the next case

Well yeah, either they make a badass explanation, but if it wasn't such a big deal, then they should have put more into the case. Like he mentions 13 ways to get off the roof, but they don't say what they are because Watson didn't care. I care! That would have been a very "Sherlock" thing to do, going through all the possibilities. But they just skipped that and went on with "Oh, I just jumped off the roof and landed on a pillow."

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2014, 05:56:00 pm »

But that was the right call, in my mind...and very Sherlock to tell the real explanation to the loony no-one will believe, because you can't resist bragging (but don't necessarily want the real explanation out there). And they did show him start to explain all 13, and John shut him down (which is exactly how that would/should/did go down!). I have no problems at all with the "return," just that it got a bit too winky at the audience. The substance was fine. The solution to the mystery was just disappointingly drawn out, is all. That said, it created wonderful moments that are the reason I love the show. "Of course there's an off switch."

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2014, 02:03:24 am »

I only recently found out the same guy who writes a lot of Doctor Who stuff (Steve Moffat) also writes for Sherlock. Maybe that is why I like it so much.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2014, 08:02:59 am »

I only recently found out the same guy who writes a lot of Doctor Who stuff (Steve Moffat) also writes for Sherlock. Maybe that is why I like it so much.

So does Mark Gatiss

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2014, 11:59:40 am »

This is also why it took so long for series 3 of Sherlock to come out. He was busy making Dr Who.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2014, 12:34:40 pm »
+1

Having watched E02, I'm starting to worry there's too much focus on the character and not enough focus on what I liked about the show, namely the deductions and the crime-solving ...

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2014, 01:52:24 pm »
+1

Having watched E02, I'm starting to worry there's too much focus on the character and not enough focus on what I liked about the show, namely the deductions and the crime-solving ...

Exactly this.

I call this Buffy Syndrome

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2014, 02:28:18 pm »
+1

Exactly this.

I call it "The case of too many fangirls"

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2014, 02:29:52 pm »
+3

Exactly this.

Just watched Episode 3, its pretty much a musical episode...

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2014, 03:37:02 pm »

Exactly this.

Just watched Episode 3, its pretty much a musical episode...

Sounds like it's turning into sort of a dr. who, slightly for kids kind of thing.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2014, 03:52:32 pm »
+1

You might have been bamboOzled there, episode 3 didn't air yet, though BBC iPlayer has a "mini-episode" up, which is not musical.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2014, 04:12:58 pm »

But see, I take this as a sign that the show works, and they don't need to rely on plot gimiks anymore. It's all about striking a balance, sure, but a move in the "character" direction is good for me.

See, what I'm worried is happening is the show is the same and a bunch of former fans are going "hipster" because it's popular now.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2014, 04:55:01 pm »

You might have been bamboOzled there, episode 3 didn't air yet, though BBC iPlayer has a "mini-episode" up, which is not musical.

Huh. Jokes on me.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2014, 05:00:03 pm »

Ok, actually just seen the last episode now

It is following the same sort of character development was the others, but I feel this one was actually excellent.

Miss me?

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2014, 08:38:18 pm »
+3

Ah, but i bet even the sharpest viewer didn't realize that this spoiler was just covering a lame trick to get you to see what it said because, in reality I've never even seen the show.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.