Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Awesome Games Done Quick 2014  (Read 8560 times)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
Awesome Games Done Quick 2014
« on: January 05, 2014, 03:37:39 pm »
+4

For all you video game fans out there.

http://gamesdonequick.com/

AGDQ 2014 is a charity gaming marathon to raise money for Prevent Cancer Foundation. The event is all about taking popular (and sometimes obscure but always entertaining) games and beating them in ludicrously fast speeds, all to raise money for charity. The event started about 3 hours before this post was made and runs all the way through to the 11th (and possibly longer on a bonus stream).

I would encourage all video game fans to at least check it out, look at the schedule to see if any games you like are there, and donate if you feel so inclined.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
Re: Awesome Games Done Quick 2014
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 07:08:35 pm »

I've been watching AGDQ 2013 and SGDQ on Youtube for the past few months. I love speedrunning and I'll definately try to watch as much as possible from the stream this time around.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 07:13:58 pm »
+1

The Chrono Trigger music and Secret of Mana music made me tear up  :'(
Well you *do* need a signature...

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2855
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 09:42:40 pm »
+2

If you miss a game, you can find the past video at http://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/1ui4dn/agdq_vods_thread/

Stuff I've liked so far: TAS block (especially Super Mario World), Yoshi's Island 100% + glitched, Super Monkey Ball 2. Usually, Megaman runs are pretty good, but I haven't watched any of the videos yet.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 12:56:15 am »
+1

I had never heard of this before, but grew up playing mariokart64 with my brother and dad (and sister occasionally), so I watched TASBlock Mario Kart 64.

reaction:

Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2855
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 01:55:17 pm »
+2

The F-Zero GX speedrun was really good. I don't even play the game and I'm astounded at what the runner did.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 02:23:08 pm »

I had never heard of this before, but grew up playing mariokart64 with my brother and dad (and sister occasionally), so I watched TASBlock Mario Kart 64.

reaction:

Why is that so special?

Its basically just a glitch...once the glitch is found there's not a massive skill involved...
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 02:49:11 pm »
+1

Pride and Prejudice is basically just a book... once a book is written, there's not a massive skill involved in reading it.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 04:32:50 pm »

Pride and Prejudice is basically just a book... once a book is written, there's not a massive skill involved in reading it.

Yeah.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 05:13:19 pm »

Yeah.

Yep, completely agree.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 11:48:23 pm »
+2

Why is that so special?

Its basically just a glitch...once the glitch is found there's not a massive skill involved...

1) You've never tried to make a TAS, have you? There's a heck of a lot of skill involved with making a TAS, optimising tricks, etc.

2) TASes aren't about demonstrating player skill, but are about pushing the game to it's limit to entertain.

The F-Zero GX speedrun was really good. I don't even play the game and I'm astounded at what the runner did.

I've played it, and let me tell you: F-Zero GX is a very tough game. On the second time I completed Story on Very Hard, it took me about 2 hours to beat chapter 5 - the linear escape in 40 seconds chapter - and my time was about 40.5 seconds (yeah...). It was easily one of the best runs I've seen so far.

Unfortunately, the same can't be said about the Fire Emblem run... that was one I was really looking forward to, and the runner botched it up badly. It became pretty apparent about an hour in that he hadn't practiced, didn't care much about the run, and for a lot of the game didn't really know what he was doing (e.g. he was taken by surprise by some of the reinforcements, never manipulated the RNG, failed chapters multiple times because of dumb mistakes, and often said incorrect things while talking about game mechanics. And as a big FE fan and someone vaguely involved in FE speedrunning, it was a run I was really excited for.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 01:03:05 am »

You should challenge him to a speedrun duel Tables and stream it split-screen. That would be awesome.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 01:12:27 am by WalrusMcFishSr »
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 01:11:40 am »

I am surprised I understand the reasoning behind the SMW glitch.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 03:39:18 am »

You should challenge him to a speedrun duel Tables and stream it split-screen. That would be awesome.

I don't know the RNG manipulated route well enough to beat him. I'm considering learning it, possibly seeing if I can improve it, and running it though.

Oh, and I wouldn't be able to directly split screen it myself, but there's websites like multitwitch.tv which are designed for live races and the like.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 03:40:22 am by Tables »

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 07:16:17 am »

I was also very excited for the FE run. I did howevef find the failed run entertaining. I think he had practiced, but reset every time Seth didn't get strong enough. During the first disaster chapter it was really apparent that he hadn't thought of Seth not being able get enough Strength.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 07:43:19 am »
+1

I just saw the GX run. WOW. I was never able to even beat the game once on very hard.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2014, 08:00:21 am »

Why is that so special?

1) You've never tried to make a TAS, have you? There's a heck of a lot of skill involved with making a TAS, optimising tricks, etc.

2) TASes aren't about demonstrating player skill, but are about pushing the game to it's limit to entertain.

Of course I have never tried one.

But my plaudits are reserved for the person who worked out the tricks in the first place (the person who wrote pride and prejudice above) rather than someone who is merely following them (The reading of P&P)

And while I agree there is some skill to following them exactly, I dont think it comes anywhere near to the amazement like the image suggested...

I love the ones where people who do the Speed Runs without the glitches, like the Super Mario one which means hitting everything perfect, jumping at the right time, those are what I reserve my amazings fors. Its pinpoint accuracy for a long long period of time, where one mistake screws up a large effort.
You miss the jump at Mario Kart and you just restart until it works. No big deal.

(I also watched the one about FF IV speed run, and while it was an impressive feat of dedication it was quite boring to watch...)

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2014, 09:57:15 am »
+2

Why does david tennant have to be awestruck by the execution, rather than the glitch itself?
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2014, 10:14:41 am »

Why does david tennant have to be awestruck by the execution, rather than the glitch itself?

A very good point.

I am going to go with timey-wimey things...

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 11:16:01 am »

Unfortunately, the same can't be said about the Fire Emblem run... that was one I was really looking forward to, and the runner botched it up badly. It became pretty apparent about an hour in that he hadn't practiced, didn't care much about the run, and for a lot of the game didn't really know what he was doing (e.g. he was taken by surprise by some of the reinforcements, never manipulated the RNG, failed chapters multiple times because of dumb mistakes, and often said incorrect things while talking about game mechanics. And as a big FE fan and someone vaguely involved in FE speedrunning, it was a run I was really excited for.

I didn't actually watch the run and didn't bother to go watch it after hearing how bad it was. Could you provide some examples as to the mistakes and failures that the runner made?

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2014, 11:21:57 am »

I didn't actually watch the run and didn't bother to go watch it after hearing how bad it was. Could you provide some examples as to the mistakes and failures that the runner made?

Leaving Saleh out in the open where he could be killed, forgetting to kill enemies that threatened Eirika, forgetting to equip/unequip items and stuff like that.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2014, 03:28:48 pm »

The FE7 run did NOT dissapoint. You should check it out!

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2014, 03:30:08 pm »

The FE7 run was what the FE8 run should have looked like, pretty much. Very solid run.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10764
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2014, 09:33:35 am »

I watched some of it live; but missed a lot of the runs I wanted to see; so I'll be checking it out on Youtube! I just discovered AGDQ a couple months ago; I watched most of the 2013 videos.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2014, 09:41:49 am »

I just saw the GX run. WOW. I was never able to even beat the game once on very hard.

I'd never played the game before, but I was amazed by that performance.  I really appreciate the commentary on the AGDQ runs in general.  It helps for those of unfamiliar the game, or at least unfamiliar with the speedrun techniques.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.