Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: TotalBiscuit on Goko  (Read 24970 times)

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
TotalBiscuit on Goko
« on: January 04, 2014, 09:45:41 pm »
+8

I just noticed that Goko was reviewed by TotalBiscuit today. I haven't had time to watch it yet, but it will be interesting to see. Check it out:

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
Re: TotalBiscuit on Goko
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 10:00:59 pm »
+2

He claims that it's in open beta about a minute and half in. An easy mistake to make...
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 10:17:24 pm »

OMG wow.  This is awesome.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 10:25:31 pm »

Too bad anyone watching it won't be able to try it.  (Hasn't been working for me all day anyway)  Still, nice to have an e-celeb promote the game a little.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 10:26:48 pm »

Too bad anyone watching it won't be able to try it.  (Hasn't been working for me all day anyway)  Still, nice to have an e-celeb promote the game a little.

It seems that TB may have overloaded their servers, which speaks to his popularity.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 10:28:01 pm »
+8

It seems that TB may have overloaded their servers, which speaks to his popularity.

Either that or it speaks to the horror of Goko's servers. 
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 07:25:14 am »

Somewhere near the end he says that the fixed screen size is probably because of it being HTML5, because HTML can only do pages with fixed screen sizes...
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 09:50:39 am »
+2

Somewhere near the end he says that the fixed screen size is probably because of it being HTML5, because HTML can only do pages with fixed screen sizes...

I haven't watched to the end yet but he gets it correct nearer to the beginning when he states that the game is designed to work on an iPad browser which does have a fixed 4:3 aspect ratio.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 10:16:36 am »

Is TotalBuiscuit a StarCraft player? Is that where I know the name from?

It was highly amusing to watch his "first game" progress.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 10:42:09 am »

I wanted to see what people who watched this were saying about it, and stumbled upon this: http://www.reddit.com/r/Cynicalbrit/comments/1uefsz/wtf_is_dominion_online/

and noticed that kirian and awaclus had already made comments there!

And yes, it does seem that this is why goko is down.

Zappie

• Thief
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 11:22:30 am »
+3

the comments there are so funny:
Absolutely love Dominion, glad that the official digital version actually seems to be a fairly decent adaptation. Hope that they polish it up some before proper release.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 11:27:53 am »
+6

I haven't watched to the end yet but he gets it correct nearer to the beginning when he states that the game is designed to work on an iPad browser which does have a fixed 4:3 aspect ratio.
The thing about designs that aren't fixed-resolution is that they also work on iPads.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 05:22:24 pm »
+2

So is TotalBiscuit the new Goko apologist?

Totalbiscuit

• Pawn
  • Respect: +27
    • View Profile
    • The Cynical Brit
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 09:07:11 pm »
+21

Hi.

I am a professional game critic, as in, it's my job to critique games and in this episode I had a look at Dominion. I criticized numerous elements of the online implementation however the bulk of the video focussed on Dominion as a game and explanatory content based on that, with a focus on introducing Dominion to a wider audience. I have no prior relations with Goko and no interest in the Dominion "community" as a whole. It was one video in a series which has so far covered over 500 different games and covers several new ones every week. Any internal issues that this particular Dominion community has with Goko are none of my concern.

Best Regards.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 09:23:53 pm »

Hi.

I am a professional game critic, as in, it's my job to critique games and in this episode I had a look at Dominion. I criticized numerous elements of the online implementation however the bulk of the video focussed on Dominion as a game and explanatory content based on that, with a focus on introducing Dominion to a wider audience. I have no prior relations with Goko and no interest in the Dominion "community" as a whole. It was one video in a series which has so far covered over 500 different games and covers several new ones every week. Any internal issues that this particular Dominion community has with Goko are none of my concern.

Best Regards.

Welcome, however briefly, to the forum!  It's good to know that Dominion (and board gaming in general) is also held in high regard by video gamers.

I'm still entirely uncertain where Watno's comment comes from, other than left field.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 10:01:28 pm »
+3

Hi.

Best Regards.

Welcome, however briefly, to the forum!  It's good to know that Dominion (and board gaming in general) is also held in high regard by video gamers.

I'm still entirely uncertain where Watno's comment comes from, other than left field.

I wouldn't read into Watno's comment too deeply. I think it's a throwback of this post back in the Goko > Iso thread:

I came to this thread expecting it to be a joke.  I was disappointed when the OP was serious :/

I've barely read this forum in 6 months and even I know wero is and has been the biggest goko apologist for, like, forever.

Totalbiscuit

• Pawn
  • Respect: +27
    • View Profile
    • The Cynical Brit
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 10:09:46 pm »
+6

Hi.

Best Regards.

I dunno, but I'd like to assuage any concern that I'm somehow on Gokos side in any way, with the exception of my belief that yes it's actually ok to charge for online Dominion play and that this kind of stuff costs money to run and develop.

When it comes to videogames, I play a lot of boardgames and particularly enjoy cardgames. Some of you might have seen me on Wil Wheatons Tabletop playing King of Tokyo. Where possible I like to show board/card content to my viewers because I like to encourage them to try them out. When there are online implentations that don't cost a lot of money, that makes it a lot easier to do

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2014, 10:16:07 pm »
+1

Hello, TB.  Enjoyed your guest spot on RetsuTalk. 

It's always nice to see new fans of Dominion.  Who knows how much longevity the game has now that the expansions are done, but I'm hoping it continues to keep a fanbase over the years.  I was so happy when I discovered it a few years ago to find a game that was like a CCG without the first C.  I think a lot of gamers (especially people like me who were too poor for Magic and such in high school) have felt the same way.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 10:24:58 pm »
+4

Thanks for the review, TB. It was really nice to see you review one of my favorite games even if it was the poor online implementation. Your overall comments about the game itself tell me that deep down you are one of us.

Watno's comment was strictly an inside joke about another recent and almost completely unrelated comment made about member werothegreat. This forum has a high propensity for rehashing inside jokes for internal mini-memes and this was one such episode. Now that an actual event resulted around it the chances are good the "apologist meme" just became a thing.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2014, 11:23:28 am »
+5

Watno's comment was strictly an inside joke about another recent and almost completely unrelated comment made about member werothegreat. This forum has a high propensity for rehashing inside jokes for internal mini-memes and this was one such episode. Now that an actual event resulted around it the chances are good the "apologist meme" just became a thing.
This. Sorry for the confusion my comment caused.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 12:36:24 pm »
+4

pingpongsam is now the apologist meme apologist.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 12:56:58 pm »
+1

pingpongsam is now the apologist meme apologist.

See, that's funny because in order for me to be the apologist meme apologist there had to first exist an apologist meme and I had to, on some level, defend it...

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2014, 02:55:24 pm »
+3

I apologise for my "apologist meme apologist" meme.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2014, 03:00:52 pm »
+3

If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2014, 03:24:46 pm »

Not sure if the "explaining the joke makes it funnier" meme has dried up around here...
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.451 seconds with 20 queries.