Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Favorite engine in a while  (Read 1086 times)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Favorite engine in a while
« on: January 03, 2014, 12:51:31 am »
+2

I wasn't sure I could pull it off, but this was fun to play

Code: [Select]
Courtyard, Moat, Pearl Diver, Masquerade, Menagerie, Watchtower, Horse Traders, Ironworks, Navigator, Throne Room
Log:
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140102/log.516cd4d9e4b082c74d7a26a2.1388726286462.txt

Ironworks is a must buy, and I'm not sure why my opponent didn't open with it. Basically Throne Room makes everything possible. Masquerade is not a problem because I can safely load up on Pearl Divers to pass over just in case. Besides I can just gain everything right back. It was close, but I squeezed those last 2 Estates for the win. Not sure why my opponent ended it, but I don't think he could have caught up. I would have gotten that last Province on my next turn anyway.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite engine in a while
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 10:08:23 am »

I like cheap-o engines. They are fun to play. You were definitely correct to go for it.

I am always tempted to grab a second Ironworks in games like this (e.g turn 3) because you just can't have enough cheap pieces. I definitely agree with the game plan to pick up Pearl Divers and lots of Throne Rooms and Menageries to give yourself draw and some actions to play with.

I think you could have made it easier on yourself if you got a Navigator and a Gold to bolster your economy and add variety; for sure Gold-Menagerie on turn 10. Also at least one Courtyard on a spare gain for variety and smoothing. You should have the actions with TR-Menagerie/PD.

Depending on how it goes, Watchtower could also find a place here -- to put cards on your deck, probably not so much for the draw.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite engine in a while
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 11:33:59 am »

Yeah I could have used the Navigator. I was already overdrawing my deck, but I guess Courtyard too. I'm not sure I needed a second Ironworks through. I'm already getting at least two or three cards every turn, so even if I buy a Province I'm still getting a PD to compensate for it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.