Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Where am I ?  (Read 4217 times)

simval

• Steward
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
Where am I ?
« on: January 01, 2014, 09:44:05 pm »
+17

''Hello ? Heeellooo ?''

Silence as Simval enters this strange place. Floating around in a
sea of words and discussions are a bunch of dominion cards, and some weird people talking to each other about fan cards, strategies and whatever.

''I... I don't know I kind of played this weird Chapel card and now
I'm stuck in here ! Did I... Oh no did I get trashed ?!

Bunch of coppers, estates, curses... Ugh is that a scout !?

Well pardon me, mister ? What's your name ? ''theory'' ? Well could
I just... stay here for a
while ? Yes ? Oh thank god ! I was so scared.

Now that I'm sutck with you guys, I might as well present myself. So I'm simval, from Canada. More precisely, I'm from Quebec, the French-speaking province, so English is my second language. Sorry for any mistakes I'd make, but I think I'm not that bad. ;)

I got introduced to Dominion about a year ago, when my father decided to buy the game to my euro-board-game-loving grand-parents. They were fans of Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride so why not ? They really liked Dominion, but I think I liked it even more ! We bought them Alchemy later and I was hooked.

The problem was that I could only play when we would visit them or when they came to our house... So I asked Intrigue for christmas (I'm 16 years old, still young enough to get a bunch of christmas presents hehe), and now I'm already planning to get some more Dominion ! Probably the base set first... What do you think ?

I sneaked in the forum at the beginning of December and started reading strategy articles on the blog, but I finally decided to register because, first of all, I now own the game and, second of all, the Variant and Fan Cards section grabbed my interest. You're probably gonna see me there later. Yep.

So that's it ! Other things that could interest you : I'm a musician (I sing and play guitar), I really like this game called Heroscape, I like psychology, I like to write (trying to get better in English !)... and that's pretty much it.

Thank you. :D ''
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 10:20:41 pm by simval »

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Re: Where am I ?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 10:03:34 pm »

Welcome! I'm from quebec too :D I've played Heroscape, it's ok. I also play music, I play drums. And it's great to have another person in the fan card section. Check out the fan card contests going on now. There are also these games...forum games... But no one likes them.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 10:16:02 pm »

There are also these games...forum games... But no one likes them.

LIES!  The almighty forum games must never be forsaken!

Oh, and, uh...  Welcome!
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

simval

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 10:20:00 pm »

Welcome! I'm from quebec too :D I've played Heroscape, it's ok. I also play music, I play drums. And it's great to have another person in the fan card section. Check out the fan card contests going on now. There are also these games...forum games... But no one likes them.

Bonjour alors. :)

That's cool stuff, we might get along. From which part of Quebec are you ?

And thanks for pointing that out, I'll take a look. :P

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 10:33:57 pm »

Welcome! I recommend playing on Goko against people with sets until you know which cards you like and which cards you don't like that much, then buy a set with a lot of cards you like.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 10:51:38 pm »
+1

+1 for that intro story.  And welcome to the forum.  One of the best ways to learn the game is to play it, and playing online is the best way to play it a bunch.  Make sure you post your epic wins in the game reports section and get advice on improving in-game strategy in the Help! section.  You learn best by making mistakes and learning how to not repeat the same error twice (you just have to play a lot for that to happen)
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 11:08:59 pm »

Welcome!

My advice would be if you already own intrigue or base, to get some of the later expansions first before getting the other one (unless you have your heart set on playing 5-6 players). Base and intrigue are the "simplest" expansions, and you'll probably find some of the later ones more exciting. I'd recommend Seaside or Prosperity.

Also, what Awaclus said about playing on goko.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 12:00:21 pm »

I'm from Montreal. The big city.

And other people are right about playing a seeing what you like. I started with Dark Ages as my first expansion (Because I didn't know what to get and it had the most cards). It was strange since we still hadn't got the whole concept that trashing was amazing. Also since we're in the same time zone we maybe able to easily play some games together if you like.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 03:00:08 pm »
+6

I also play music, I play drums.

Make up your mind, which is it? :P :)
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 06:14:39 pm »

I'm from Montreal. The big city.

And other people are right about playing a seeing what you like. I started with Dark Ages as my first expansion (Because I didn't know what to get and it had the most cards). It was strange since we still hadn't got the whole concept that trashing was amazing. Also since we're in the same time zone we maybe able to easily play some games together if you like.
And I'm yet another Montreal dweller. Though I was born in Quebec, French is actually my second language that I was taught through the formal education system.

Dark Ages was also my first expansion, which I got along with Cornucopia. However, I already knew all the cards by playing online. If you can forgive Goko for it's minor sometimes minor lapses, it's a great way to get a feel for all the cards (and then it becomes a way to play much more Dominion than you would otherwise). It's unfortunate that you can only play the adventure mode for expansions you've already bought though.

TrojH

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 10:38:32 pm »

(I'm 16 years old, still young enough to get a bunch of christmas presents hehe)

I'm more than double your age. Thanks for making me feel old, you whippersnapper.  :-[

Oh yeah, and welcome.  :D

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 10:45:27 pm »
+4

(I'm 16 years old, still young enough to get a bunch of christmas presents hehe)

I'm more than double your age. Thanks for making me feel old, you whippersnapper.  :-[

On f.ds everyone is a kid. A highly educated and most likely mathematically inclined kid, but still a kid :D

simval

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 01:05:45 pm »

Thanks everyone for the advice and the warm welcome ! I'll take a look at Goko, hoping it won't have too many problems.

Oh and thanks for all those +1s, it looks funny to have my first post ever being in the week's best... :P

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 01:28:37 pm »
+1

On f.ds everyone is a kid. A highly educated and most likely mathematically inclined kid, but still a kid :D

Apart from Galzria, he is an ooooollld man
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.