Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13  All

Author Topic: Best Dominion Moments 2014  (Read 99934 times)

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
Re: Best Dominion Moments 2014
« Reply #225 on: October 25, 2014, 11:44:36 am »

Caravans. Cities. Provinces. Margrave. Coin tokens. GG. And when I say GG, I mean GAME OVER SORRY NOT SORRY.

(I think what made the difference is that the other players wanted to thin their decks down with Uprgade which I thought was kind of weak while I didn't bother with trashing and went straight for Cities.)
Yeah, given the speed with which the Caravans ran out, there's something to be said for not bothering with trashing.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

ThaddeusB

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 29, 2014, 12:58:44 am »
+9

ThaddeusB   shuffles deck
ThaddeusB   draws Province, Province, Province, Province

TomConerly   plays Minion
ThaddeusB   discards: Province, Province, Province, Province, Province
ThaddeusB   draws Minion, Minion, Copper, Silver

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20141028/log.53be12a0e4b00ccce8075fbc.1414551517397.txt#1-18

I don't believe I'd ever seen a hand of all green before, certainly not all Provinces, and it got discarded for me!

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 29, 2014, 10:02:37 am »
+4

I don't believe I'd ever seen a hand of all green before, certainly not all Provinces, and it got discarded for me!

The Minion giveth and the Minion taketh away.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Chaos

• Steward
  • Respect: +30
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 29, 2014, 11:14:18 am »
+1

Somehow managed to win this ridiculous game:

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20141028/log.516d33dbe4b082c74d7b39fa.1414532335403.txt

I made some mistakes early on that lead to me losing the ambassador war but somehow I manage to get four platinums and five golds and win despite having 10 estates and four curses in my deck at the end (and 5 throne rooms). I'm not really sure what my plan here was but I guess it sort of worked. Also, my deck was 55 cards and I had exactly 1 point per card which is pretty cool.

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 29, 2014, 11:28:50 am »

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20141028/log.516d33dbe4b082c74d7b39fa.1414532335403.txt
I severely misplayed this game.  I didn't track the amount of money in my deck so I couldn't build economy right away after thinning out; I sent an ambassador to you when I should've kept both and bought a curse earlier; and I didn't get the draw cards soon enough to start drawing my deck and really pouring it on with ambassador.  So that would be the "somehow" :) 

Also, it's kind of surprising how much it matters whether you send Estates or Copper first with Ambassador mirrors.  I think it's almost always right in the first few turns to send the thing you have two copies of, but that can be painful if you end up with a deck too full of estates to buy much. 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 11:31:10 am by theblankman »
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

Chaos

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 29, 2014, 12:23:20 pm »

I sent an ambassador to you when I should've kept both and bought a curse earlier; 

I think this was the key; I really needed a second ambassador (not sure why I never bought it) to fight your two (I'm always scared of terminal collision on a double ambassador opening, what is the right choice?) and then suddenly you gave me one and I was able to save my deck somewhat.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 29, 2014, 12:39:51 pm »

I severely misplayed this game.  I didn't track the amount of money in my deck so I couldn't build economy right away after thinning out; I sent an ambassador to you when I should've kept both and bought a curse earlier; and I didn't get the draw cards soon enough to start drawing my deck and really pouring it on with ambassador.  So that would be the "somehow" :) 

Also, it's kind of surprising how much it matters whether you send Estates or Copper first with Ambassador mirrors.  I think it's almost always right in the first few turns to send the thing you have two copies of, but that can be painful if you end up with a deck too full of estates to buy much.

Always send 2 Copper over 1 Estate. Thin faster.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 29, 2014, 01:25:01 pm »

that's not a good advise I think (which is unusual coming from you). It highly depends on the board.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 29, 2014, 02:00:20 pm »

that's not a good advise I think (which is unusual coming from you). It highly depends on the board.

That can be attached to any advice! But sending 2 over 1 is a good rule of thumb, like trashing all starting cards in your hand with Chapel. If you think it's not uncommon for sending 1 Estate to be better, can you elaborate on when/how that is?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 29, 2014, 02:09:17 pm »
+1

That can be attached to any advice! But sending 2 over 1 is a good rule of thumb, like trashing all starting cards in your hand with Chapel. If you think it's not uncommon for sending 1 Estate to be better, can you elaborate on when/how that is?

yes. it mostly depends on which 5$'s are in the kingdom. if, for example, stables is there, you should almost always return one estate, because the extra economy is worth having more cards. You will hit 5$ a lot, buy stables, cycle through your deck, and win. if the only 5$'s are things like merchant ship, then return 2 coppers. having a lot of economy isn't going to do much for you, your opponent is just going to have a small deck and will crush you, because you can't utilize your economy. basically, the key thing is whether or not the 5$'s are going to help you with the amb war in the long run.

I think returning estates is correct in about half of all games, so it's not an edge case.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 29, 2014, 04:46:31 pm »
+10

yes. it mostly depends on which 5$'s are in the kingdom. if, for example, stables is there, you should almost always return one estate, because the extra economy is worth having more cards. You will hit 5$ a lot, buy stables, cycle through your deck, and win. if the only 5$'s are things like merchant ship, then return 2 coppers. having a lot of economy isn't going to do much for you, your opponent is just going to have a small deck and will crush you, because you can't utilize your economy. basically, the key thing is whether or not the 5$'s are going to help you with the amb war in the long run.

I think returning estates is correct in about half of all games, so it's not an edge case.

I still think it is more of an edge case.  Stables is a great example of when returning the Estate is better, because Stables makes Copper much less junky and it gives excellent cycling, letting you play Ambassador more often.  But I think most boards will still favour returning 2 cards over 1, at least for the early game.

If you feel adamant about it, I think this would be an excellent article topic.  The two Ambassador articles both favour returning 2 Copper over 1 Estate.  The first article by theory (2010) unequivocally states that "Ambassadoring 2 Coppers (rather than 1 Estate) is the best play".  The second article by WanderingWinder (2013) devotes an entire section to the question.  The answer is still "usually 2 Copper over 1 Estate" but WW does talk about what situations would warrant returning the single Estate instead.  They are exceptions rather than the rule though.

Until now, I hadn't seen any advice contrary to this (at least from prominent players).  So if you feel it goes 50/50 over all games, I (and probably the community) would be really interested in seeing your thoughts on it.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 02, 2014, 10:15:32 pm »

I affectionately named this picture file "holyfrickenfrack.png"

I was getting Goonsed for a long time and I thought I was going to lose but then my Cities leveled up and Colonies happened. Ka-ching.

After that my non-bot opponent wanted a rematch and ended up getting 344 victory points. (But there was the slight matter of me convincing him to use unrated mode, just in case...)
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

GwinnR

• Tactician
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
    • German Youtube-Videos
« Reply #237 on: November 06, 2014, 04:29:41 am »

Sometimes you just don't buy cards:

Code: [Select]
GwinnR: turn 1
GwinnR draws Copper, Copper, Copper, Copper, Copper
GwinnR: turn 3
GwinnR draws Copper, Margrave, Copper, Copper, Copper
GwinnR: turn 5
GwinnR draws Copper, Copper, Copper, Estate, Margrave

These turns were (I think) bad luck, but it continued because of bad play:

GwinnR: turn 8
GwinnR draws Estate
GwinnR shuffles deck
GwinnR draws Margrave, Copper, Copper, Copper
GwinnR: turn 10
GwinnR plays Margrave
GwinnR draws Estate, Estate, Estate
Lekkit draws Cache
Lekkit discards Ill-Gotten Gains
Lekkit discards Copper
Lekkit discards Cache
GwinnR draws Copper
GwinnR shuffles deck
GwinnR draws Margrave, Copper, Copper, Copper
GwinnR: turn 12
GwinnR draws Copper, Estate, Copper, Copper, Curse

So in 6 of 21 turns I didn't buy anything :-(
Nobody's perfect, but I'm only a nobody o.O

My german Youtube-Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gwinnrdominion

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 07, 2014, 08:38:30 pm »
+3

The cleanest example I've had in a while where you want Rats without other trashing. Scrying Pool, Scheme, Secret Chamber, Rats.

I had an empty draw/discard pile (except for a Rats) part way through turn 8 so I could play Rats, gain Rats, draw Rats. Goodbye remaining Coppers!

Turn 8
Polk5440 plays Rats
Polk5440 draws Copper
Polk5440 gains Rats
Polk5440 trashes Hovel
Polk5440 plays Rats
Polk5440 shuffles deck
Polk5440 draws Rats
Polk5440 gains Rats
Polk5440 trashes Copper
Polk5440 plays Rats
Polk5440 shuffles deck
Polk5440 draws Rats
Polk5440 gains Rats
Polk5440 trashes Copper
Polk5440 plays Rats
Polk5440 shuffles deck
Polk5440 draws Rats
Polk5440 gains Rats
Polk5440 trashes Copper
Polk5440 plays Rats
Polk5440 shuffles deck
Polk5440 draws Rats
Polk5440 gains Rats
Polk5440 trashes Copper
Polk5440 plays Rats
Polk5440 shuffles deck
Polk5440 draws Rats
Polk5440 gains Rats
Polk5440 trashes Copper
Polk5440 plays Secret Chamber

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 07, 2014, 09:01:25 pm »

It's a real shame that kingdom didn't have +buy or +action besides necro. If there was you could have some serious income. As it is you had to start greening on turn 9. (I say "had" though anything you did at that point would win - greening was just the best you could do)

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: November 07, 2014, 09:03:06 pm »

It's a real shame that kingdom didn't have +buy or +action besides necro. If there was you could have some serious income. As it is you had to start greening on turn 9. (I say "had" though anything you did at that point would win - greening was just the best you could do)

Yeah, I know! That would have been pretty spectacular.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 07, 2014, 09:31:22 pm »
+6

Something happened today where my screen blacked out and when it came back ALL MY CARDS WERE INVISIBLE. I could still see the green/red/yellow outlines on the cards but I couldn't see what they actually were, so I literally guessed my way through the rest of the game. Luckily it was a big money game so what I clicked didn't make too much difference, and I actually ended up winning because I already had a lead on both Colonies and Platinums. But still!

I unfortunately didn't get a screencap because my opponent quit from me being "too slow" (well excuuuuuse me if I can't even see what cards I'm playing) but in the next game there was some residual invisibility left over on the Estates...
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 08, 2014, 09:07:08 am »
+5

Residual invisibility is very hard to get rid of.  Scrubbing with coal will usually work, and blood is effective if potentially disturbing.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 08, 2014, 09:43:06 am »
+2

That happened to me yesterday too, but it wore off after two or three turns, so my play wasn't worse. I must have had some coal or blood. (I wish I remembered my opening buys)

Chaos

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 08, 2014, 11:39:32 am »

Invisible cards happened to me once too except I was playing some sort of engine with hamlets so yeah. Surprisingly i managed to keep the engine going for a while (either by luck or by remembering the positions of some of the cards) before it just went completely blank and I couldn't finish the game unfortunately.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 08, 2014, 03:43:25 pm »
+9

Hamlets are one of the best cards to play with invisibly.  You're going to be discarding things accidentally anyway; better that they're random cards than good ones.

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 09, 2014, 11:50:52 am »
+4

Something happened today where my screen blacked out and when it came back ALL MY CARDS WERE INVISIBLE. I could still see the green/red/yellow outlines on the cards but I couldn't see what they actually were, so I literally guessed my way through the rest of the game. Luckily it was a big money game so what I clicked didn't make too much difference, and I actually ended up winning because I already had a lead on both Colonies and Platinums. But still!

I unfortunately didn't get a screencap because my opponent quit from me being "too slow" (well excuuuuuse me if I can't even see what cards I'm playing) but in the next game there was some residual invisibility left over on the Estates...

I had this happen this morning. My opponent played torturer, all my cards EXCEPT estate disappeared and the game froze. I could not do anything and timed out. I think this torturer is overpowered.....

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 09, 2014, 05:41:19 pm »

I had this happen this morning. My opponent played torturer, all my cards EXCEPT estate disappeared and the game froze. I could not do anything and timed out. I think this torturer is overpowered.....

Overpowered for your opponent.

IsotropicWasBetter

• Scout
  • "Goko is the Best"- said no-one ever
  • Respect: +119
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 10, 2014, 10:22:57 am »
+1

I played a game with AdamH yesterday, it was on rubbishy Goko, but AdamH made it so much better. I let him win.
http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20141109/log.5085f5130cf270038ff92212.1415581052588.txt

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 10, 2014, 10:26:58 am »
+4

Didn't save the log, but had a nice finish.

A Minion/Ironmonger game had turned into a slog because of Familiar and greening.
We were both hopelessly grabbing Duchies and Estates and there was just one Province left, neither of us had hit $8 for a long time.

I had an Armory in hand and was near the end of my shuffle. I tried to remember and thought I might have an Estate left in my deck, so I gained a Baron, chose to discard my hand with Minion and luckily I had that Estate, discarded it for $4 and bought the last Province.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.