Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13  All

Author Topic: Best Dominion Moments 2014  (Read 100155 times)

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +353
    • View Profile
Re: Best Dominion Moments 2014
« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2014, 08:38:04 am »
+3

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140416/log.5062f3dc51c3843e7939eb9f.1397677167083.txt

won game by emptying the scout pile- although in fairness, my opponent buying 7 scouts made my victory practically inevitable!! ;)

I think your opponent forgot that Scout doesn't draw Ruins.

Or tried to create a secret chamber/chancellor/scout/counting house combo. Discard your deck with chancellor, use counting house to get all coppers into hand, then scout to gather remaining greens and finally secret chamber to turn green into copper.

Also that board has witch and cultist, why nobody picked witch?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12863
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2014, 09:35:45 am »

Also that board has witch and cultist, why nobody picked witch?
Cultist doesn't like not being the only kind of Action in a deck with no splitters.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

dominator 123

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: dominator 123
  • Notice the space
  • Respect: +369
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2014, 05:51:04 am »

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140424/log.516e3d11e4b082c74d7d39da.1398329160758.txt

Kingdom:
Code: [Select]
Loan, Masquerade, Wishing Well, Militia, Quarry, City, Market, Royal Seal, Torturer, Upgrade
After losing both the Market and City split, due to peiling buying more engine parts instead of VP (only one Province), I managed to get just enough buys to buy a Province, an Estate, and the last seven Masquerades to end the game in my favour (the 2 Quarries helped to reduce the cost of Masquerade to $0).
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 05:52:38 am by dominator 123 »
"Strictly Better" compares only effects and not cost, change my mind

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +808
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2014, 11:25:28 am »
+2

Might not be a big deal for many of you, but yesterday I played and won against a 6K+ rated opponent for the first time.
Especially after having a bad dominion evening the day before (losing four out of five games) that totally made my day.
I'm also a bit proud that I didn't just mindlessly mirror his play but went for my own plan.
He played an Apothecary-Warehouse deck with Golem, Spy and Haggler as support while I went for a simpler BM with Counterfeit and a Haggler. I still like my plan better and was just to fast for him to catch up.

So... it seems I'll post the log when gokosalvager is back up.
/E: Here it is:  http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140430/log.516cd492e4b082c74d7a247a.1398882801365.txt ... and yea I guess 6 provinces is 15 turns is fast...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 05:08:59 am by assemble_me »
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2014, 10:19:46 pm »
+2

So I just played an awesome hermit/madman/market square game... my opponent didn't know the combo so I got 9 of the hermits and got enough gold (and 7 of the market squares) so I could pile out the entire province pile.

but salvager is down and I can't get the log  :'(

Edit: LOG! http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140501/log.50632f850cf2b1ff4173d9b8.1398996894773.txt
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 02:02:38 pm by mail-mi »
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Moneymodel

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2014, 02:57:26 am »
+1

I do love me a successful Hermit/MS combo.

I also don't have a log and am not going to get it, but I played a really interesting game with Hamlet, Armory, Herald, Treasure Map, and Baker. I saw the Hamlet-Armory-TM combo immediately, since I'd done it before, so I opened double Armory as opposed to double TM. It wasn't until I was actually performing the combo and getting 12$ with no extra buys that I saw the synergy with Herald. I could essentially set up the next two turns with the amount of money I had, doing the exact same thing again. 1 Hamlet and 2 Armories for first turn, then 1 Hamlet and 1 Armory (to top-deck a Hamlet) for the TM turn, and random Coppers and Estates to account for the five-card hands. Result: drawing Hamlet with my four Golds, guaranteeing me an extra buy.

I didn't win the game, since Baker ironically enabled some fast Provinces for my opponent, but I still thought it was cool.

prom_vrt

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2014, 07:59:06 am »

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140509/log.515b24b2e4b0ee7f08a5bff0.1399636341880.txt

Another game which I was all behind in VPs but the end. I was at a huge disadvantageous position because my opponent reached 8 much sooner than me and purchased 2 goons with stonemason along with many hamlets and stables. A single colony turned the game to my victory at the last turn with the only platinum.

Any suggestion for me is greatly pleased. I think I played this game badly and there should be a better solution...

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2014, 10:02:58 pm »

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140510/log.516cceeae4b082c74d79f558.1399772572460.txt

He opens 5-2, I open 3-4. 5-2 is just miles and miles better here. By the end of turn 6 the deckstates are:

kfm: 1 wharf, 8 Fool's Golds, 7 copper, 3 estates. liopoil: 1 wharf, 2 Fool's Golds, 2 Foragers (no treasures in trash yet), 7 coppers, and one each of silver, quarry, and estate. However, city is on the board! My deck is two estates and 6 fool's golds thinner (and also has two foragers for more trashing), so I can easily pivot my deck, and win the city split 6-4. I also trash my treasures, powering forager up to $4, and getting a couple more foragers. Turns 12, 13, and 14 I easily draw my deck and get all of my money from 6 cities, and my 4 foragers. I am guaranteed to be able to draw my whole deck each of those turns except the last, but it is still exceedingly likely on the last. I got all my money from those 6 cities, and my foragers which were worth 4 apiece because of quarry, silver, and FG. He resigns before I can get the last two provinces on my last turn. I think you can't go pure FG here, and in fact 8 FGs were probably actually too many for him (what? too many Fool's Golds??!?!) because they power up cities and they stop the engine from building. I really liked this game because I really don't like Fool's Gold because it makes otherwise interesting game boring (sort of like rebuild, but with rebuild there are more often tough choices), so it felt good to beat it here.

prom_vrt

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 12, 2014, 09:31:20 am »
+3

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140512/log.516dbfe8e4b082c74d7c829b.1399901185892.txt

Prom Vrt   plays Trading Post
Prom Vrt   trashes Province, Province
Prom Vrt   gains Silver
Prom Vrt   plays 2 Gold, 1 Silver
Prom Vrt   buys Province
Prom Vrt   gains Province
Prom Vrt   draws Silver, Province, Province, Ironmonger, Ironmonger

Nice ending by trashing two Provinces with Trading Post for Silver. It's another thing I am not going to do at all without VP counter!!!!!!

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 12, 2014, 01:20:23 pm »
+9

This happened in a F2F game, so no log. You don't need one really though.

4 player game. Everything set up, I'm looking over the board. Mountebank at $5, Goons at $6, no real drawing or trashing but Moat is around making things interesting. I'm in 4th seat, and draw 2/5. Fine, works for me. Everyone else opens Smugglers and something else (I think two Smugglers/Silvers and a Smugglers/Mining Village, maybe?) - most of them aren't that experienced so whatever. I grab Moat/Mountebank, whatever.

Turn 3 and the player on my left Smuggles my Mountebank. Well crap, he's also the next best player in the game. Then the next player Smuggles the Mountebank as well. Then the 4th player Smuggles it as well. I'm pretty much thinking I've lost at this point, but oh well. I do something/ Turn 4 and I don't draw the Mountebank but do draw the Moat. I don't play it.

Turn 5 rolls around, and before I even get my 5th go, I've been hit by 3 Mountebanks. Hit by 3 Mountebanks, before I could even play the Mountebank I opened with. It sucked so bad.

The game didn't get too much better for me, with the player on my left's Smugglers stealing my first (and only) Goons, my Goons and Mountebank collided the shuffle after I got the Goons, and quite a few Duchies got smuggled as well.

I didn't win.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2014, 01:48:00 pm »
+3

You make your own shuffle luck.

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2014, 01:53:10 pm »
+3

This happened in a F2F game, so no log. You don't need one really though.

4 player game. Everything set up, I'm looking over the board. Mountebank at $5, Goons at $6, no real drawing or trashing but Moat is around making things interesting. I'm in 4th seat, and draw 2/5. Fine, works for me. Everyone else opens Smugglers and something else (I think two Smugglers/Silvers and a Smugglers/Mining Village, maybe?) - most of them aren't that experienced so whatever. I grab Moat/Mountebank, whatever.

Turn 3 and the player on my left Smuggles my Mountebank. Well crap, he's also the next best player in the game. Then the next player Smuggles the Mountebank as well. Then the 4th player Smuggles it as well. I'm pretty much thinking I've lost at this point, but oh well. I do something/ Turn 4 and I don't draw the Mountebank but do draw the Moat. I don't play it.

Turn 5 rolls around, and before I even get my 5th go, I've been hit by 3 Mountebanks. Hit by 3 Mountebanks, before I could even play the Mountebank I opened with. It sucked so bad.

The game didn't get too much better for me, with the player on my left's Smugglers stealing my first (and only) Goons, my Goons and Mountebank collided the shuffle after I got the Goons, and quite a few Duchies got smuggled as well.

I didn't win.

So it isn't just me who you have terrible shuffle luck against... Learn to shuffle better :)
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

SirD

• Bishop
  • Life is supposed to be fun
  • Respect: +55
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2014, 09:25:33 pm »
+1

I have never bought more from a black market than here. All the cards came so good together. Cities for actions (and draw) and then so many action money cards: Mandarin to put a card back on top, Mystic to draw it back, Grand market, Merchant ship, ... Everything wonderful with the plentyful actions from cities. In addition a single knight for me to keep my opponent down and a single rats to get rid of the coppers. Amazing game:

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140512/log.516d6636e4b082c74d7bdf6f.1399943992758.txt

Loved it.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 09:30:26 pm by SirD »
Greetings,
SirDagen

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2014, 11:26:30 pm »

It's always so fun to pull off a Herald engine with no villages. And herbalist for plus buy.

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140512/log.50e20cf4e4b0a47150882831.1399951531812.txt
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

prom_vrt

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2014, 11:38:13 pm »
+2

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140512/log.536a804de4b0462a8092c9ab.1399951299686.txt

Colony is ignorable in favor of coppers deck with Beggar, Garden, Counting House, Cache and Masterpiece. Coppers and Silvers were all gone.
I underestimate the power of this combo for platinum and I lose. Though in fact I think this kingdom is selectively chosen for this combo.

TrojH

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2014, 11:54:12 pm »

You shouldn't have bought the Moat, Tables. You should've opened Mountebank/nothing.

On a Mountebank/nothing opening, your Mountebank has a 1/11 chance of missing the reshuffle. On Mountebank/Moat, it's 1/6.

Eevee is right. You do make your own shuffle luck.

TrojH

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 13, 2014, 12:18:46 am »
+1

Although, having said that, I think I should post the following:

Transmute, Native Village, Develop, Farming Village, Noble Brigand, Pirate Ship, Taxman, Contraband, Council Room, Mystic
http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140509/log.516d2839e4b082c74d7b13ae.1399689254786.txt

A game from a few days ago. Turn 1, I bought a Silver. Turn 2, I no longer had the Silver; it fell to my opponent's Noble Brigand. That was basically game over.

It was a 1/6 shot: 1/2 that my opponent would start with 4+ coins, and 1/3 that the Noble Brigand would hit the Silver. Unlucky, but completely avoidable; I should've opened Develop or Native Village.

You make your own shuffle luck.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4442
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2014, 01:36:51 am »
+6

I thought we agreed that making your own shuffle luck was cheating. :)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2014, 02:33:17 am »
+1

You shouldn't have bought the Moat, Tables. You should've opened Mountebank/nothing.

On a Mountebank/nothing opening, your Mountebank has a 1/11 chance of missing the reshuffle. On Mountebank/Moat, it's 1/6.

Bear in mind it's a 4 player game and I'm in last seat. I don't think skipping Moat is worth it considering that, but I dunno.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2014, 09:51:48 am »

lol
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12863
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #95 on: May 13, 2014, 10:26:18 am »

lol
Are you saying he isn't right?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #96 on: May 13, 2014, 10:42:35 am »

lol
Are you saying he isn't right?

Never.

I'm amused that this is something that more people say now besides just me, even if they're just channeling me. It's like I'm a trend-setter.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2014, 11:12:00 pm »
+12

I've never posted here because I haven't felt that I had any worthy.  Tonight that changed.

Pearl Diver, Tunnel, Bishop, Caravan, Throne Room, Band of Misfits, Embassy, Festival, Junk Dealer, Tribute
I want to play the engine immediately.  Through unfortunate draws it takes me until Turn 7 to get my first Junk Dealer despite no attacks.  That's okay as I'm in it for the long game.  Turn 18 I am down 52 to 26 with a single Province in the supply.  I proceed to play 4 Bishops trashing 4 Gold for 16 Points and obtaining $17 with 3 Buys allowing me to get Province/Duchy/Tunnel for a net gain of 27 points for the 1-point victory.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 09:25:54 am by shark_bait »
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

prom_vrt

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 15, 2014, 08:03:34 am »

Bear in mind it's a 4 player game and I'm in last seat. I don't think skipping Moat is worth it considering that, but I dunno.
If I were you I don't skip Moat. That is just your bad luck I think. In normal situation Moat should be able to block a single or two Mountebanks, that's 2-4 junk less

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #99 on: May 15, 2014, 08:08:22 am »
+3

I actually think Moat is a really good card.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13  All

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 21 queries.