Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What do you use for storage of physical cards?  (Read 15346 times)

mischiefmaker

• Golem
  • Respect: +108
    • View Profile
What do you use for storage of physical cards?
« on: November 19, 2011, 07:12:29 pm »

For those of you that play live in addition to (or instead of) isotropic, how do you store your cards?

I've been using two of these, with dividers that I downloaded from BGG, printed on card stock, and cut.

Unfortunately, my two boxes are currently full, and I picked up my copy of Hinterlands today (hooray!), which got me thinking about how I'm going to store this set, plus two more sets next year. The options I'm considering:

- Third box, which lets me use the same style horizontal dividers that I like, but three boxes is a little unwieldy for carrying
 - One large box, but all the large boxes I've seen stand the cards up vertically, so I'd need new dividers, and the top isn't as secure (woe be to me if I should drop the box the wrong way).

Anyone have a solution they like for storing cards that will easily expand another ~1000 cards or so? (300 for hinterlands, 150 for the spring expansion, 300 or 500 for the last expansion, plus dividers.)

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
Re: What do you use for storage of physical cards?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 07:40:43 pm »

I use the 3000 card box (or maybe its 3200). Right now, everything except Hinterlands fits into two of the rows, with a little bit of space left at the end of the second row. That includes the extra copies of the common cards (e.g., Copper, Estates, in case we have two games going simultaneously) and randomizer cards but does not include the Seaside mats and various tokens (which are currently in the third row). I can definitely fit Hinterlands and the next mini-expansion into that box; I may need to remove the extra copies of common cards for the final set to fit.

The whole box fits nicely into the large Base+Alchemy+Prosperity box that was being sold on Amazon last winter. That lid fits on deeper than the lid that comes with the 3000 card box, so I'm not as worried about the box tipping. Granted, if I turned the whole thing upside down it would be a mess, but them's the breaks.

For tabs, I use the sumpfork set (there are a lot of versions based on that at BGG).

The only concern I have is that the big box is getting kind of heavy, and it will certainly be a bit unwieldy by the time the final cards at purchased.

DsnowMan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 10:24:07 am »

witchwitchwitch

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 04:03:57 am »

I am using plastic boxes that suppose to store name cards!  ;D

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 10:18:58 am »

This is sort of tangential, but I discovered an excellent way to protect the cards during airline or cruise travel, when you don't want to take the original box (or a monster box), due to its dimensions.  I put all the cards in a box that a new scuba diving mask came in.  These mask boxes are usually clear or semi-translucent plastic, so they are relatively easy for security folks to deal with. The rounded edges make them friendlier to your clothes and other items in your bag than anything with harder corners or sharper edges.  They can typically be picked up at dive stores for 2 or 3 dollars. 

I took this approach on a recent cruise, where we took only the base set of cards.  All of the cards fit in one "box", with some room left over, if you wanted to added favorite cards from another expansion.  I could have put Intrigue into a second box, but my girlfriend and I are relatively new to the game so the base set was enough to satisfy our addiction.  This approach was also easier than taking two laptops and fighting intermittent internet access to play on Isotropic.

I got around the "no labels = no card organization" problem as follows.  Rubberbands kept four basic subsections together: One was all the money cards, one was 12 (x10) kingdom cards, one was the other 13 (x10) kingdom cards.  The last subsection was as follows, separated by the various blank cards and the Trash mat: Two starting hands, the 3 victory card piles of 8 cards each, the randomizer deck, 10 curse cards, and all the remaining "extra cards" not needed for 2 person play.  Set up was relatively quick, even with having to locate the kingdom cards for the 1st game - each of us simply took the stack with (roughly) half of the kingdom cards.  For subsequent games, finding the new kingdom cards was even easier. After using the randomizer deck, any cards to be retained from the previous game were pulled aside for reuse, the not-to-be-reused cards were stacked out of the way, then we each took one of the (now smaller) piles of kingdom cards to quickly find those that were needed.  It worked much better than I thought it would, and may actually have been faster than constantly returning cards to labeled slots in a box.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 11:57:34 am »

For a while I was using the original box with my method, but I moved up to a different one that is more portable recently.

I bought this case at a yard sale.  Sadly for that reason I can't recommend where to get one similar:
http://www.jshgaming.com/IMAG0106.jpg

It's pretty lightweight and works fine all the way up to Hinterlands so far, including the mats and basic setup cards.

Also, I bought about 200 jewelry bags from wal mart to store the cards (Didn't sleeve them all individually, we just open the bags when we buy Kingdom Cards).  If you don't care about sleeving, this is a great cheap solution:
http://www.jshgaming.com/IMAG0108.jpg

I should clarify that my wife and I randomize by picking the cards out of the box at random rather than using an app or the deck, so organization is not an issue.  So this wouldn't work for everyone.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 12:40:21 pm by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Karrow

• Baron
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 11:15:42 am »

I find having two boxes speeds up kingdom changes.  You always have at least two players, so splitting the cards into two boxes can cut the change time in half. 

For me Box 1 is A-M & treasures, Box 2 is N-Z & Victory cards.  (I don't think the 50/50 split is actually at M/N, but I don't have my cards in front of me to see where I have the split.) 

treebeardtheent

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 10:06:14 pm »

What are people using now for storage? I have all the sets but Alchemy and sleeved everything. I currently am using the "shoebox" style 1600 count box with dividers for the alphabet. I have Guilds on order and am going to get Alchemy some time this summer. That will put me 300 cards over the capacity of my current box.
Words to live by: Faith, Virtue, Honor, Courage, Knowledge & Personal Responsibility

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 05:48:22 am »

I use two binders for them. It's not a very good solution if you want to sleeve all of the cards, but we just sleeve our decks and unsleeve after games, or if we're in a hurry we don't use sleeves at all.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 10:30:56 am »

I have all the sleeved cards (as well as tokens and mats) in the Dominion and Dark Ages boxes. Looks like there's just enough room left to fit in Guilds.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 11:21:38 am »
+1

All the boxes.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 11:24:52 am »

We have base, DA, cornucopia, prosperity, and seaside. All fit in the base set box.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 11:45:50 am »

I use a wooden case I ordered from hobby lobby. The plastic bit from alchemy is placed in the right half and holds the basic victory cards, treasures, shelters, ruins, spoils, and curses. The left half stores the kingdom cards in two horizontal columns, with a little extra room, where I put the randomizers and some other junk so the cards don't fall over. When I get hinterlands, cornucopia, and guilds, I will switch to vertical kingdom card storage and make better dividers.

tolenmar

• Bishop
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 11:48:44 am »

For ten bucks at Wal-Mart, I bought a plastic tote. It has two sections, they stack, and then lock together. The top half holds all the kingdom cards, the VP cards, and the coin cards, with index tabs to make it easy to find what I need.  The bottom half holds the rulebooks, the tokens, the "not in supply" cards, mats, and the retired coin and vp cards (which I am close to replacing again).  I intend to sleeve everything, so who knows if I can keep all the kingdom cards in the top once I do, and once Guilds gets here.

The brand name is "Snapware."  I want to get a couple of big rubber bands, though.  I just don't think the lid and handle are quite strong enough for all that weight.

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +513
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 05:24:04 pm »

I keep them all in the boxes they came in - I have Seaside, DA, and Prosperity, as well as the Base Card Set, which I put in the Seaside box. I also have the Seaside and Prosperity mats carefully arranged and put those at the top of the Seaside box. Since I generally play at home, traveling is not an issue (although I can take 3 big boxes to play with friends if need be) and my wife and I take turns picking all 10 kingdom cards rather than doing any randomizing. I have vague hopes of someday sleeving the cards and getting a better storage box, but for now it works.

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2013, 06:28:51 pm »

I'm using four of the long 800-card card boxes. The fourth currently has only a handful of cards, tokens, and mats with plenty of room, so I think it will hold Guilds just fine.

StrongRhino

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: StrongRhino
  • Respect: +247
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 08:01:07 pm »

The boxes they came in.
Sometimes when I'm traveling I'll take out the plastic part of base or alchemy (depending how many cards I want to bring) and use rubber bands and my deck boxes from the Pokemon TCG.

Blueswan

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 04:56:42 am »

Currently I have the base set, Seaside, Prosperity, Cornucopia, Dark Ages, Hinterlands, mats and coins all in the Seaside box. I just got Intrigue and when I soon get Alchemy and Guilds I plan to split everything up into two of the small boxes (say Cornucopia and Alchemy). I plan to include the base set in one of them and Intrigue in the other, so that I could just bring one of the two boxes to a game night if I don't want to carry it all. I don't use sleeves though.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 04:58:17 am by Blueswan »

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 10:11:43 am »

I have them in a binder. I think that's one of the best solutions for unsleeved cards. It doesn't take up much space, and if you get a large binder with a carrying strap it's pretty easy to take with you.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 11:07:24 am »

Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 20 queries.