Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Author Topic: Plague (Fan Expansion for Dominion)  (Read 51584 times)

plasticbrain

• Salvager
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
Re: Plague (Fan Expansion for Dominion)
« Reply #125 on: August 09, 2012, 01:08:26 pm »

yeah, uncanny is one word; i can think of others...
what's more, not only does he call Rats his favorite card in Dominion, there's to be 20 of them and another card which i'm guessing will allow you to give them to other players which was also in an early design of my Rats (one of the first iterations had you place the Rats on another player's deck after you played it).

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 09, 2012, 01:19:47 pm »
+1

yeah, uncanny is one word; i can think of others...
what's more, not only does he call Rats his favorite card in Dominion, there's to be 20 of them and another card which i'm guessing will allow you to give them to other players which was also in an early design of my Rats (one of the first iterations had you place the Rats on another player's deck after you played it).

Are you implying what I think you're implying?  ???

plasticbrain

• Salvager
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 09, 2012, 01:33:14 pm »

Are you implying what I think you're implying?  ???
only jokingly.
one of the largest problems (for others) with my set was its overuse of Curses, since a) they hurt, and b) there's a limited supply. Donald X has solved both these issues by adding Ruins to the game. they're still bad, they still clog up your deck, but a) they don't hurt so much because they have small possibly positive effects and don't hurt your VP score, and b) they're a whole other stack from Curses so there's plenty of them. frankly, i would have proposed something similar but i was trying so hard to stay within the structure of known Dominion. Donald didn't have this restriction and has blatantly ignored expectations with this set. i applaud him and am anxious to get my hands on Dark Ages.

JaEmBee

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 13, 2015, 11:01:59 pm »
+1

Is there a link to a downloadable PDF for printing? I'd love to try these out!!  Thank you!

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #129 on: August 14, 2015, 11:03:04 pm »

Is there a link to a downloadable PDF for printing? I'd love to try these out!!  Thank you!

wow, the three year resurrection. didn't think I'd see one.

GeeJo

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 16, 2015, 02:19:54 am »
+3

I don't think so, but glancing over the list there are quite a few that I like the idea of. "Rats" in particular with its shuffling into another pile is great! Since I had some free time, here are some mock-ups of the cards to print yourself. It's surprisingly difficult to find disease-themed art that isn't so morbid it would seem out of place among the other Dominion cards. I've done a bit of shuffling around of names, since some have been used since these were posted, and Mortuary sounds more medieval than Morgue.

I also took it upon myself to remove the Action portion of Sewers, since it seems more interesting without it (though it's still going to be ridiculously strong on a board with Beggar), and switched the functionality of Morgue/Mortuary to use the + tokens from Adventures, which is a cleaner execution of the same idea. I can re-up them with the original wordings if you prefer.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 02:25:16 am by GeeJo »

ancientcampus

• Navigator
  • Respect: +52
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 19, 2015, 11:41:47 pm »

Quarantine: I like the concept. I realize it was powered it up on request, but as it stands it's pretty broken IMO.

Will I take a 2 VP penalty in order to get access to $3 laboratories? Heck yes I will, even without the option to power it up. The ability to switch it to +buy or +coin on demand pushes it beyond "great". I would probably open Quarantine/Quarantine, race to get 8-10 curses on my mat if uncontested. I'm inclined to think the game would devolve into rushing quarantine, piling curses, piling quarantine, and then a complicated dance with duchies and provinces. (Like Rebuild, it'd still be pretty fun for a few games, though.)

GeeJo's version using tokens is a little more balanced, especially if it's competing with a lot of Adventurers cards. I'd still probably Quarantine/Quarantine anyways.

Poisoned Well: oh my word, you're evil. I love it.

Relief: also great. Great given the set (we've all been in brutal slogs before), but also works well in engines. (Come to think, it's very much like a proto poor house)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 21, 2015, 10:24:01 am »

Miracle might be way too good if you get it early (opening with it with Baker or Borrow). Reveal 4 Coppers, get a Prize turn 3.

I don't like the idea of referring to the expansion name like Plague Doctor does. I know the expansion symbol is on the card, but that's generally just metadata, not part of the card text. It would be kind of like referring to the artist name. Of course, the official rules for choosing Shelters and Colonies care about what set a card is from, so there's something of a precedent.

Lots of neat ideas there.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 21 queries.