Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Rebuild ban for next Gokodom?  (Read 4952 times)

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
Rebuild ban for next Gokodom?
« on: December 28, 2013, 01:20:03 am »
+3

I realize that Kirian has yet to announce when the next Gokodom will be or if there will be one, but given the growing consensus and DVX's own admission that the card is too powerful, I don't think it's too unreasonable for the community to consider leaving it out of organized tournaments.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
Re: Rebuild ban for next Gokodom?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 03:14:54 am »
+17

It isn't even the most powerful card in the game. Lots of people feel that it isn't a well designed or fun card (although not everyone agrees with this, I like Rebuild games just fine). It doesn't create an unfair competitive environment so there's no reason to ban it from tournament play.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 03:17:57 am by Mic Qsenoch »

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 10:46:34 am »
+1

It isn't even the most powerful card in the game. Lots of people feel that it isn't a well designed or fun card (although not everyone agrees with this, I like Rebuild games just fine). It doesn't create an unfair competitive environment so there's no reason to ban it from tournament play.
Everyone has access to Rebuild. And, you know, you do have to know how to make the best use of it. It's just like having to know how to deal with Goons and Possession when they are key cards on the board.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 01:21:05 pm »
+10

No.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Elestan

• Witch
  • Respect: +429
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 08:50:55 pm »

Everyone has access to Rebuild. And, you know, you do have to know how to make the best use of it. It's just like having to know how to deal with Goons and Possession when they are key cards on the board.
Rebuild itself isn't a problem; it's possible to design a Kingdom where Rebuild exists but isn't the only viable strategy.  Possession and Black Market are the only cards I banned from my tournament, and they were both for pragmatic reasons, rather than balance:  Possession isn't fun to play against because the other players get bored waiting through all the possessed turns, and in a non-virtual tournament where cards are limited, Black Market ties up too many of them.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 08:05:39 pm »
+3

"Clearly too powerful for how interesting it is" does not mean the same thing as "Too Powerful"

But its power to interest level is off the chart! (She cannae take the power cap'n)
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

TheMirrorMan

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 07:04:03 pm »

Any news on the timing for GokoDom III Kirian ?
Here comes the mirror man. Says he's a people fan.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 07:56:01 pm »
+3

Not yet, no.  The best I can say is SoonTM.  The situation with Goko has gotten worse than it was a few days ago when I suggested elsewhere that "sure you can run a tournament!"  In addition, someone seems to be attempting to put together a forum championship, although it seems unlikely to happen.

If Goko stabilizes and that tournament doesn't go forward, then I'll look to start signups very soon after both of those things are determined.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 08:41:46 pm »

Not yet, no.  The best I can say is SoonTM.  The situation with Goko has gotten worse than it was a few days ago when I suggested elsewhere that "sure you can run a tournament!"  In addition, someone seems to be attempting to put together a forum championship, although it seems unlikely to happen.

If Goko stabilizes and that tournament doesn't go forward, then I'll look to start signups very soon after both of those things are determined.
SoonTM? Are you a fan of Blizzard games or something?

Yeah I don't know what's going on with the other tournament. I think response to it has been low because everyone is expecting a GokoDom III. That and I guess Goko pulling a Goko.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 09:36:56 pm »
+1

SoonTM? Are you a fan of Blizzard games or something?

I might be.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 21 queries.