Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Keeping track of turns...  (Read 4159 times)

Eagle

• Baron
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
Keeping track of turns...
« on: June 18, 2011, 05:16:22 pm »

So when you guys play "in real life" without the benefit of the computer counting your turns, and cards like outlook / posession are out, causing an potentially widely varying amounts of turns, does anyone have any brilliant ideas on keeping track of who has taken how many?  Or do you just write them down?

I tied with someone the other day in an outpost game & knew I had lost because my opponent hadn't even bought an outpost, and I knew I had played mine, but I didn't know for sure how many times I had, so it got me thinking about it.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
Re: Keeping track of turns...
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 05:34:08 pm »

See here for Donald X's explanation. In short, you don't keep track because Outpost turns don't count.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Personman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
    • My Friendfeed
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 08:40:38 pm »

This is an interesting exception to Donald's claims of 'no errata', since it's pretty clear from the literal wording of the rules that they should count.
My youtube channel. Isoptropic games with commentary!

Eagle

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 08:46:36 pm »

Interesting, I didn't realize they didn't count.  I'll have to point that out to the person that thought they beat me that day.  :)

I'm guessing possession works the same way?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 11:20:56 pm by Eagle »

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 08:49:54 pm »

It does, and for the same reason: you're not getting an extra turn through luck of the seating, you're getting one because you bought a card to get you extra turns.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Personman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
    • My Friendfeed
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 08:52:31 pm »

Yes, of course, though I don't believe Donald has ever specifically said so. That's certainly how it's implemented on isotropic.

Eagle

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 08:54:29 pm »

It does, and for the same reason: you're not getting an extra turn through luck of the seating, you're getting one because you bought a card to get you extra turns.

Actually with possession you're getting an extra turn because your opponent bought a card to give (ok force you into) you that extra turn.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 08:56:26 pm »

Actually with possession you're getting an extra turn because your opponent bought a card to give (ok force you into) you that extra turn.
This is indeed the case, and is a very good reason why you don't track the extra turns.

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

nemryn

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 08:57:07 pm »

This is an interesting exception to Donald's claims of 'no errata', since it's pretty clear from the literal wording of the rules that they should count.
The actual policy is 'no errata, except for typos or cards that don't actually work'. I think that 'I totally knew this had to be in the rules, and totally missed putting it in' can count as a typo.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 11:14:44 pm »

I snuck the rule for Outpost into the Possession FAQ, so it is actually a rulebook rule, just not one that comes with Seaside.

Eagle

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 11:17:28 pm »

I snuck the rule for Outpost into the Possession FAQ, so it is actually a rulebook rule, just not one that comes with Seaside.

Guess that'll learn me to not pay complete attention to the rule books...

Personman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
    • My Friendfeed
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 11:39:48 pm »

Donald: Yay! You're here! And also: Oh good! I've never actually read the Alchemy rulebook, so I guess I should keep my mouth shut :)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.