Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Buying money while building an engine  (Read 1517 times)

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
Buying money while building an engine
« on: November 19, 2011, 12:10:53 pm »

How do you balance building your economy while constructing an engine deck? I definitely err too far on the side of "build engine components, then buy money," and I would appreciate advice for determining when to buy more money.

As a specific example, on the board of Baron, Border Village, Colony, Conspirator, Embargo, Gardens, Menagerie, Platinum, Potion, Scrying Pool, Tactician, Tunnel, and Vault, I decided to go for Scrying Pools, thinking that Scrying + Border Village + Conspirator would be a great combo, and Embargo could slow down the Gardens option enough to make it not viable. Game link. While I ended up winning, I was slow to get to Border Village and I'm sure my play could have improved with more money at some point. Would it have been stronger to open Potion/Embargo and then pick up a quick Baron? Is there another strategy that jumps out on this board?

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
Re: Buying money while building an engine
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 12:34:10 pm »

In general, I'd say it's a big fat 'it depends'. The biggest factor is most likely how much of your spending money comes from actions. For example, in a border village/wharf engine, you need lots of big money, so load up on early silver purchases. For engines where the engine cards provide your money, you dont need much. Maybe 2 silvers and don't worry about gold.

The specific board you've presented is a lot of fun. I can't see the log right now, but when I look at this, my first thought is double tactician/vault with conspirator support. Scrying pools would certainly help the deck, but I'm not sure it's worth the turn getting a potion until the engine starts to get rolling. I would buy very few money cards. Maybe just an opening silver and a second if I can't get up to 5 to get the first vault. Once you have one vault, you'll be vaulting to border villages and tacticians and maybe a second vault and then conspirators. Like I said, fun.

quasi

• Steward
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 01:26:07 pm »

my thoughts: first, buying an embargo is not a priority, since there's nothing to support a garden rush.

in your strategy, it's an imperative to get a baron quickly.  your opening 4 is a potion, but at your next buy at either 4 or 5 has to be a baron.  you need extra buys with scrying pool and conspirator.  in the mid game, after you have a border village or two, you should aim for another baron.

with the exception of an opening silve, you wouldn't buy any money the rest of the game. 

i think its close between double tactician and a scrying pool deck.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 01:28:16 pm by quasi »

ackack

• Explorer
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 01:31:00 pm »

my thoughts: first, buying an embargo is not a priority, since there's nothing to support a garden rush.

I've only seen it once, but Baron/Gardens is surprisingly viable. On a Colony board it probably won't work, but getting a few Barons and playing them as often as possible runs the Estates down fast and lets you inflate the deck, making Gardens stronger.

This is a complex board. added: jonts's suggestion of Tactician/Vault is the direction I'd be inclined to go.

quasi

• Steward
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 01:47:25 pm »

that's fair.  i think you could maybe hold off on buying the embargo until you see your opponent doing this, since it doesnt seem like an optimal strategy.

thinking more about it, i think going double tactician/vault and embargoing i.e. conspirator or scrying pool could be best.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 20 queries.